Klaatu barada Lincoln!
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx
What is it with the way the new Subaru and Honda cars are being designed? I am talking about the aesthetics of some of the more recent models. I am not talking about their build quality, reliability or performance. They are good cars but the designers have lost the plot. I have previously owned three subaru cars and loved them.

These cars used to look good.... sleek and pleasing to the eye. Now most of them look like the designer has gone on holidays and some person with damage to their frontal lobes (and damage to the right side of the brain) has been let loose in the design rooms.
Ok, you're generalizing way too much here. Give us some specifics. I think the newer Subarus finally look un-weird, for the most part. I have a brand-new Impreza Outback Sport and, while I didn't get it for its looks, it does look a little bit rakish - for an eco-model car. While some of the Hondas are pretty 'meh', (isn't that always the case?) the current Accord coupe looks very damn sharp.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,311
The only good looking Subaru since the SVX is the previous generation Legacy 2.5GT. Today's versions are lame overall.

Honda could be doing worse. The current generation Accord sedan looks like a good BMW clone, the Accord coupe looks great. Even better in person.

This may not be a super sports car, but it looks good to me.

The next Odyssey. What else can you do with a box?

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
What Subarus are you looking at? They once- and totally on accident made a decent looking impreza- the first generation.

But then they realized their mistake and came out with a nice, ugly bugeye version.

It's been only been up and onward for Subaru design since then. Flying vagina, anybody?

i loved my bugeye.

the flying vagina drove me to the outback though.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 60,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub
i agree!!i love subarus, but this years outbacks are UGLY!!!. although, i do like the the Forester's. change is inevitable.
I'm with you.

I like the Forester pretty well. My daughter has one and it's a nice vehicle.

I don't really like the new Outback. Going "big" was the wrong idea, IMO. It's getting away from the primary reason for Subaru's appeal. That said, I drove one of the prior Outbacks and didn't like it as well as the new Forester -- the seating room/position and wind noise were inferior -- so maybe the new Outback addresses those issues even if the look isn't very appealing.

I'm still conflicted about the Imprezas. I like the last model (and own one) but I've driven one of the new ones and can see its appeal because the ride is better with the longer wheelbase.

I'm curious where Subaru is going with its line-up. I'm kind of sorry to see them getting bigger with each recent new generation.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #21
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack
Last, what about the Lincoln MKT. I wonder is Lincoln marketing knows that 'MKT' is short for 'market'? Anyway, the back end of this looks like a custom made hearse. In person, its gargantuan. Like a rolling cetacean.

The thing about all these is that they look marginally acceptable through photo manipulation. In person, the sense of scale forces you to turn your eyes away, and look for something as agreeable as a Subaru.
Looks like he got a job as a fugly new car

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #22
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
What Subarus are you looking at? They once- and totally on accident made a decent looking impreza- the first generation.

But then they realized their mistake and came out with a nice, ugly bugeye version.

It's been only been up and onward for Subaru design since then. Flying vagina, anybody?
I dunno, the 22b looked pretty good and didn't have any bug eyes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #23
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
While this car is nowhere near beautiful, for an appliance car, I don't think it looks too bad.

Cheap, comfortable, all weather ability, and gets good gas mileage.

I'm happy with it.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
I'm with you.

I don't really like the new Outback. Going "big" was the wrong idea, IMO. It's getting away from the primary reason for Subaru's appeal. That said, I drove one of the prior Outbacks and didn't like it as well as the new Forester -- the seating room/position and wind noise were inferior -- so maybe the new Outback addresses those issues even if the look isn't very appealing.

I'm still conflicted about the Imprezas. I like the last model (and own one) but I've driven one of the new ones and can see its appeal because the ride is better with the longer wheelbase.

I'm curious where Subaru is going with its line-up. I'm kind of sorry to see them getting bigger with each recent new generation.

I think it is the frameless windows. wind noise has always been a problem with them.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
I think the new Subys are sad- they look exactly like every other car.

This was unique-looking:

This looks like a Honda:
Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04
While this car is nowhere near beautiful, for an appliance car, I don't think it looks too bad.

I'm happy with it.
Legacy's are Very Nice especially the GT version.

I owned a 02WRX and put 150,000 trouble free miles on it = it handled Great, was incredibly Fast, Fun, Economical to own and Reliable as hell .
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #27
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04

I'm happy with it.

I'm sure it's a nice car, but I'm still struggling with the fender bulges.

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #28
RockyRaccoon

I don't really like the direction Subaru is going. I have one of the 170 hp non-turbo Imprezas and it's a lot of fun to drive and gets 30 mpg. I'm willing to get a few less mpg for the sporty fun of a nice power-to-weight ratio and AWD in an inexpensive car.

Quote:
Subaru says the engine is more efficient and includes some lighter components because it was not designed to be turbocharged: some parts of a turbo engine have to be stronger to withstand additional pressure created by the turbocharger.

The new engine is rated at 148 horsepower at 6,200 revolutions per minute and 145 pound feet of torque at 4,200 r.p.m. That’s a big drop from the 170-horse engine of last year, but Subaru says the new transmission’s quicker response helps to make up for the loss of power. Also, the new Impreza weighs less — in the case of my test car, about 130 pounds.

In about 400 miles of travel on Interstate highways and hilly roads through the White Mountains, I never felt the Impreza was seriously underpowered. But neither would I say that its acceleration was brisk.

The new Impreza sedan with an automatic transmission is rated at 36 miles per gallon on the highway, a whopping 38 percent increase from last year’s figure of 26 m.p.g. The city mileage estimate has jumped to 27 m.p.g., from 20 m.p.g., a leap of 35 percent.

The new Impreza line does not, however, include new versions of the high-performance WRX and WRX STI models. Those cars got a makeover last year, though they continue to use the Impreza platform, and Subaru says it will be several years before new versions arrive.
I do like this...

Quote:
Subaru will remedy that [ground clearance] deficiency in the fall of 2012 with an Impreza variant to be called the Subaru XV, which is to have 8.7 inches of ground clearance.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/au...agewanted=2&hp

But the new models are really boring design-wise.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #29
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
I'm with you.

They need an impreza with the naturally aspirated six.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #30
RockyRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
They need an impreza with the naturally aspirated six.
I don't think so. The naturally aspirated 170 hp four cylinder is plenty fun to drive and, if you want more, the turbo four gives you as much or more than the naturally aspirated six.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: