Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #46
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
Maybe its just the wide angle of this picture, but it looks like a helluva stretch to reach the controls on that center screen
You have to remember how small of a car it is, it's based on the Fit. I would bet that the screen is a good bit closer than the far dials of the radio on my ex girlfriend's Charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I really like the look of this car.

If I had more money than sense, I'd buy one and figure out how to drop an Acura RSX engine in it.
I bet people have done a lot tuning the Fit's motor, if you put a big turbo on it the IMA could make up for that lag so you'll get some power down low followed by this huge rush when the boost hits.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #47
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Thinking about trading in my 08 Impreza for a 12. I love my car with the exception of the 4 speed automatic. The CVT in the Outback, if it's the same one the Impreza has, is worlds better. If I can keep payments the same and get much better fuel mileage, i'm doing it.

Anyone know if they improved the headlights?
I'm thinking of trading my 2008 stick too. I really, really want another stick and something slightly less harsh on the highway than my Impreza. I do about 95% highway (about 80 miles) a day and consistently get 30.6 mpg (combined).

If the new Legacy with 6 speed can do better than that, then I may go that route. After having a Fusion for a few weeks, I really want that little better plush drive a larger car gives.

Actually, I had a VW Passat diesel with 6 speed for 10 days and really loved that. But VW quality scares me.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #48
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
I'm thinking of trading my 2008 stick too. I really, really want another stick and something slightly less harsh on the highway than my Impreza. I do about 95% highway (about 80 miles) a day and consistently get 30.6 mpg (combined).

If the new Legacy with 6 speed can do better than that, then I may go that route. After having a Fusion for a few weeks, I really want that little better plush drive a larger car gives.

Actually, I had a VW Passat diesel with 6 speed for 10 days and really loved that. But VW quality scares me.
I only have an auto because of commuting in NJ traffic. I would love a 5 speed but it sucks in stop and go. At least my motorcycle is a 6 speed. You drive about what I drive, but I get more like 27-28 mpg. Crappy fuel and heavy traffic. I got nearly 32 going to Maine in August, not bad.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #49
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
I hated, and I mean HATED the Subaru Forester for years...thought they were boxy misshapen abortions of the vehicle world that only geeky engineers could like. I've had a couple of Outbacks and always thought I would go that route again. NOPE. The 2011 Forester grabbed my nuts and wouldn't let go. I was in the market for an XUV and was pretty sure I would go German this time. Got in the Forester and didn't let go. I have the Canadian Touring edition - very nice trim level for the price. The new design absolutely kicks ass over the old design. And I really didn't like the 2011 Outback wagon this time around. Car and Driver tests showed how the Forester outperforms the Outback, especially handling. Only thing that I'm not crazy about is the 4 spd auto trans. Make it a six speed and you'll have a very fine mid-size, mid-price XUV.
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,657
Here's a Subaru WRX concept car design. It looks like they're moving completely away from sharing the Impreza platform.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...ef=automobiles

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #51
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,657
Subaru is introducing its first hybrid this year in the Crosstrek

Sounds like the mileage gains are very, very slight.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #52
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Cars all look the same because they're all being built to meet the same goals: Higher fuel economy, lower emissions. Factor in the final sales cost as a cap and subtract manufacturing costs for the profit ratio and then you get what's left for "design." But there's only so many ways to make a variation of a kamback.

The most famous kamback right now:

But the Prius certainly didn't invent the kamback design, here's one of my favorites:

Oh, but those are hatchbacks, right? But look at the basic lines and sedans are all going that way. So are "crossover SUVs" (aka, tall station wagons for people too cool to buy a effen wagon). Only so many ways to make a these things happen with the same end design goals.

Regarding Subaru design, Suby is/was a commercial truck maker and function preceded design--for better or for worse. I have a bugeye (2003) WRX wagon and love it. But it's not my favorite body style.

I like this much better:

If my car ever gets wrecked in a hail storm or other such accident where the body is gone but the drivetrain is still good to go, I'm so going to find a GC8 chasis that needs a swap.

End up with something like this, but with 300hp instead of a whimpy NA motor in a sexy body.

Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #53
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
I totally agree that Subaru has gone wrong with their designs over the last few years. For me, the appeal of the original Impreza was it's rally roots, complete with big ol' fog lights and hood scoop. When they went with a flat hood and tiny running lights, it no longer exited me. They look like a Toyota/Honda/Buick (whatever) family car.

The WRX concept above looks somewhat like a scaled down 2012 Camaro. Not too bad, but I'm having a hard time visualizing that car jumping and sliding sideways through the dirt and snow. Also, what rally driver need a 4 door? (WTF?)

I have one of the GC8 cars like the blue 2-door above. It is perfectly balanced. At the ragged edge of cornering traction, the cars becomes slightly rear brake biased, which makes for perfect rally slides on dry pavement. Mine is a naturally aspirated 5-speed car, with Borla headers and Flowmaster mufler, which brings good levels of torque through most of the RPM range. A turbo would be icing on the cake, but I can't justify spending twice the car's value when it has 230,000 miles.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #54
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
I don't really like the direction Subaru is going. I have one of the 170 hp non-turbo Imprezas and it's a lot of fun to drive and gets 30 mpg. I'm willing to get a few less mpg for the sporty fun of a nice power-to-weight ratio and AWD in an inexpensive car.

I do like this...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/au...agewanted=2&hp

But the new models are really boring design-wise.

This week I have been driving this exact car as a loaner...........same color and everything. CVT, cloth seats and a sunroof, nice enough I guess.

This is the most uninspiring car I have ever driven! So, you probably figure I must be one of those German car buff's but the car I use daily is a 2001 Toyota Avalon............Go figure an Avalon, isn't that the most boring car on the planet? Well compared to this car the Avalon is a hoot! Amazingly, the Avalon come very close to matching this little hipster's mpg numbers as well..........again go figure? I feel good about picking the Mazda3 over this car, now if I could only get the 3 back from the service department.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #55
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,510
My wife and I bought one of those for our daughter. Interesting little vehicle for a while but definitely not a driver's car. Nice build quality, etc. but absolutely uninspiring to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
If I have enough money and don't care about a back seat (2 big ifs ):

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #56
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,059
Just saw the new Forester at the NYC car show. Real nice and now with CVT tranny.
It will be my next commuter car.
I have to say though, out of all the manufacturers at the show, imo, by far the best was Cadillac. The 2014 CTS with twin turbos that produces 400 and something hp was frikin awesome.
Cadillac is on the attack there is no doubt.
Not to mention they had the hottest models

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #57
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,473
with the exception of maybe the accord and the BR-Z, I can sum up all the new Honda and Subaru designs in one word: ghastly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #58
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
Subaru is introducing its first hybrid this year in the Crosstrek

Sounds like the mileage gains are very, very slight.
that thing is fucking hideous any way you slice it. next.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04 View Post
While this car is nowhere near beautiful, for an appliance car, I don't think it looks too bad.

Cheap, comfortable, all weather ability, and gets good gas mileage.

I'm happy with it.
blander than a water-flavored Popsicle. next

Quote:
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #60
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post

This looks like a Honda:
looks like an abortion. Next.

Quote:

kawalaser screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 09:50 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: