User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
skyman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
How do I ???

I have a 2010 Honda Elite 110 that will do 52 miles an hour with me on it and 52 miles per hour with my wife and I on it. It has lots of get up and go it just hits the governor or what ever Honda has done to limit the speed. How do I get rid of the restriction? I have three thousand miles on her now so she is broken in and ready to rock.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
drizzle
mini-adventurer

Oddometer: 44
well, from what the parts diagram shows, there's no restriction in the transmission, so it must be a rev limiter somewhere in the electrical system. most likely in the CDI. i'm sure you can find and fit a "race" CDI somewhere, such as ebay, that wont have a limiter. but of course, you run the risk of over-revving the engine and going kaboom.
drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
52mph sounds about right for engine with that kind of power.

I seriously doubt there's a rev limiter in it, and even if there is
one, it would be easier to fit heavier roller weights (just a tad)
then buy an expensive CDI of questionable quality/performance.

Heavier rollers will give a few more MPH at same revs but at
the cost of some acceleration.

I wouldn't do it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez
I seriously doubt there's a rev limiter in it, and even if there is
one, it would be easier to fit heavier roller weights (just a tad)
then buy an expensive CDI of questionable quality/performance....
Why the doubt about a rev limiter? Honda builds its North American market scooters very high tech these days. Even the smallest, 50cc Metro and Ruckus have ECU rev limiters.

BTW, wasn't this thread already 2 pages long with plenty of answers? How come its suddenly reset to just a couple posts?
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
to give people a chance to complain about re-posts, of course
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, and a Lifan CT 70 clone I forgot about...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
Why the doubt about a rev limiter? Honda builds its North American market scooters very high tech these days. Even the smallest, 50cc Metro and Ruckus have ECU rev limiters.
To tell the truth, the doubt comes mainly because of the stated top speed
which sounds fine for the scooter of that kind of power output.

BUT, having worked at a scoot shop for 2 years, I've seen a lot of restricted
scoots, and all of them were 50cc. Some mechanically, some by the
mentioned ECU limiters, and usually because of various laws, not because
the scooter actually needed one.

The new Lead 110 is a bit higher tech then the norm in this segment,
but I don't see why they'd bother with it.

I wouldn't mess around with an aftermarket ECU unless I knew EXACTLY
what I was doing, and the stock unit is probably fine for a stock scooter
and there's other ways of increasing the top speed, like the one I already
mentioned. Not to mention cheaper.

Random no-name ECUs are a great way to gain 2mph and 50% more
fuel consumption ;)

Another thing to consider is that the 110i is relatively new on the market,
AND will probably NOT be on the shortlist of buyers that tend to upgrade
parts like the ECU.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
52 mph is a good speed for a 110 cc scooter. There are a few modifications that you can do, and maybe get 55 mph or 60 mph if your lucky. But this is about the most you should expect from a 110 cc motor. You might be able to upgrade the rev limiter, or change to heavier roller weights, but there is not to much you can do. If you really want more speed, then look into getting a bigger scooter, like a 150 cc - 250 cc scooter. A 150 cc in good condition should be able to hit 65 mph. 250 cc around 75 mph. But if you want to get more speed from the 110, I would look into upgrading the transmission with different roller weights or a kit. This is because you might have the power to pull a little more speed, but the engine is almost redlining and has no more gear to pull faster. If it can do the same speed with you and your wife on it, it definitely has the power, but needs a higher gear ratio. It is kind of like riding a 6 speed motorcycle at wide open throttle in 4th gear.

As for the rev limiter, you can get a few more mph out of it, but running it at RPMs above the rev limiter could damage your engine. It is fine as long as you do not run it at those RPMs for very long. Good luck with the 110!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn
52 mph is a good speed for a 110 cc scooter. There are a few modifications that you can do, and maybe get 55 mph or 60 mph if your lucky. But this is about the most you should expect from a 110 cc motor. You might be able to upgrade the rev limiter, or change to heavier roller weights, but there is not to much you can do. If you really want more speed, then look into getting a bigger scooter, like a 150 cc - 250 cc scooter. A 150 cc in good condition should be able to hit 65 mph. 250 cc around 75 mph. But if you want to get more speed from the 110, I would look into upgrading the transmission with different roller weights or a kit. This is because you might have the power to pull a little more speed, but the engine is almost redlining and has no more gear to pull faster. If it can do the same speed with you and your wife on it, it definitely has the power, but needs a higher gear ratio. It is kind of like riding a 6 speed motorcycle at wide open throttle in 4th gear.

As for the rev limiter, you can get a few more mph out of it, but running it at RPMs above the rev limiter could damage your engine. It is fine as long as you do not run it at those RPMs for very long. Good luck with the 110!
+1