User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport Ride Sept 6 & 7, 2014

The 2014 Boogie is nearly upon us. Once again the BMA would like to invite the dual sport and adventure riding community [ADV] to participate.

Pre-registration for this year's Calabogie Boogie ends tomorrow (Tuesday) at midnight so if you're fast you could save some money.

The Boogie offers a number of different rides ranging from expert level trails to scenic adventure tours for the biggest adventure style dual sport bikes. Somewhere in the middle of these extremes is an aggressive dual sport ride that includes lots of rocky hydro line trails.

The fun starts Sept. 6 at Calabogie Highlands golf course and continues on Sunday Sept. 7 starting at Calabogie Peaks ski hill.

See the BMA site for details:
http://bma1.ca/2014-boogie.php

Anyone wanting to discus accommodations or ride sharing is most welcome to do so here. How about some stories and pictures from past Boogie rides.
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)
TDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The (BMA) Bytown Motorcycle Association's Calabogie Boogie once again is offering awesome GPS Dual Sport rides in conjunction with its famous 2 day trail ride. Anyone with a blue plated bike is invited to enjoy these carefully prepared rides that offer less aggressive alternatives to the single track trail rides. The D-S rides start at the same place as the trail rides and we will meet up with the trail riders for lunch and after the ride to swap stories. There is also a banquet on Saturday night with guest speaker and great food.

DUAL SPORT (BLUE PLATE REQUIRED) - SCENIC/ADVENTURE TOURS
These rides take you through picturesque farms in the highlands where the roads are seldom straight. Scenic tours are ideal for riders who want to stop and take a few pictures along the way. Since these rides are also appealing to some of the faster riders on bigger bikes, we have added extension options to the scenic tours to keep the fun from ending too soon.

DUAL SPORT (BLUE PLATE REQUIRED) - TECH/AGGRESSIVE RIDE
For more aggressive Dual Sport riders who prefer to concentrate on the ground in front of them rather than the scenery around them, we recommend the Tech/Aggressive Ride. These rides share much of the twisty, fun dirt roads with the scenic/adventure tours but have some power line and ATV trails thrown in to make it just a bit more challenging.

TRAIL RIDE (GREEN OR BLUE PLATE REQUIRED) - (INCLUDES ORANGE, PINK AND WHITE TRAILS)
All are welcome to ride the gnarly single track trails that Calabogie is famous for; however, we do recommend smaller trail bikes for this arrowed event. Your entry fee works for both dual sport or trail ride so you can even do a little of both if you like.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Well, I might as well toss in a link to last year's thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899658

Maybe I will toss in some highlight photos from last year.
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,538
Sadly I am out of town or I'd be coming...the "tech" dual sport ride routes are always amazing

Have a fun and safe ride, cya next year

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaweetz View Post
Afaik if it hasn't changed, there is no booking to camp out, it is fcfs. The field is more or less split in half with big rigs on one side and tents on thother. Don't count on any handy trees for your hammock.
I've been told that the Highlands has put in some volleyball courts where we used to park in the south field. It may be tight for parking and tenting this year if we cant park there anymore.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
xhungus
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 59
I just picked up a new to me 2010 WR250R last week... its my first dual sport and this looks like a great event. I have a few years of street riding under my belt but my only dirt experience was at an offroad riding course at Horseshoe Valley a few weeks ago.

The course was great and I feel like I learned alot but it was only one day. They spent a few hours on technique and the rest was out on the trails where I managed to get my first get-off out of the way but overall thought I did okay.

Do you think the dual sport tech ride would be too much for me? I'd like to challenge myself but I'd hate to hold people up or get in over my head.

That's too bad about the limited trees... I have no real luggage for this bike yet and was hoping to be able to pack light with my hammock
xhungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,310
In for the Sunday DS ride!
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #8
peterthefarmer
Venison sausage4sale

Oddometer: 167
sunday ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
In for the Sunday DS ride!
I might be up for that too.
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #9
ridepie
Slideout

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthefarmer View Post
I might be up for that too.

Maybe I should give this a go aswell...Sunday eh......
ridepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #10
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhungus View Post
I just picked up a new to me 2010 WR250R last week... its my first dual sport and this looks like a great event. I have a few years of street riding under my belt but my only dirt experience was at an offroad riding course at Horseshoe Valley a few weeks ago.

The course was great and I feel like I learned alot but it was only one day. They spent a few hours on technique and the rest was out on the trails where I managed to get my first get-off out of the way but overall thought I did okay.

Do you think the dual sport tech ride would be too much for me? I'd like to challenge myself but I'd hate to hold people up or get in over my head.

That's too bad about the limited trees... I have no real luggage for this bike yet and was hoping to be able to pack light with my hammock
Unfortunately I can't really answer this question for you. The only thing I can say is that the Tech / Aggressive D-S rides will include water crossings up over your axles, rock gardens, hills with sharp and loose rocks of every size. Typically we ride on two track or ATV trails and twisty roads to connect them. The D-S tracks will not contain single track trails, very tight turns or very steep hills like you would find on a trail ride.

The Scenic / Adventure tour is either scenic or challenging depending on how fast you go. Either way it's good fun but if you chose to go fast don't try to enjoy the scenery at the same time please.

Some years we have set up our ride with a main loop and tech options off of it but this year you just pick one or the other, tech or scenic, and stay with if for at least half day and then you have the opportunity to switch if you like. That being said there are a few places where you could run the course as though it had tech options by loading both tracks on your GPS and jumping to a tech "option" where they cross. This will not be a problem for us since all the tracks will be swept anyway. My only request is that you inform your leader if you are following one so they don't wait for you.

A Tech / Aggressive D-S ride is roughly the equivalent difficulty of a novice/intermediate level trail ride if that helps.