Old 02-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
yamalama OP
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,241
B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

K.
We bailed out of Vancouver.
We are exploring the Okanagan Valley.
6 months of looking, checking. 2 full months of dualsport exploring, every day.
I moved from Manitoba 30 years ago. B.C. has been a paradise, all things considered.
Thoughts on the relative merits of the various areas/options?

yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,901
Paging JackD, JackD to the white courtesy phone please, Mr. JackD, you have a caller.

Jack will try and convince you to go over to the Island. He might be able to, he's got a great setup over there.

Vernon still has some great little pockets available, that's where I'd look if I wanted to be in a town.

Penticton's boring, Kelowna is over crowded. Osooyoos is too damned hot and far away from everything, but go up the hill towards Grand Forks and there seems to be lots of cheap sagebrush up there, if in your retirement you can still handle some acreage. Similkameen is all hobby farms.

Summerland has some nice spots, especially little places like Trout Creek, if you don't mind paying a premium to be near the lake. I hear banjos everytime I take the Rock Creek road, maybe not the best place. Don't know the Naramata side of the lake very well.

Out of the valley, Nelson is awesome, except for its proximity to absolutely nothing, hard to get in and out of. Rossland is a good alternative.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,639
Look at Vernon. Housing costs are better, lots of good riding.

Kamloops is another place to check out for the same reasons.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
K.
We bailed out of Vancouver.
We are exploring the Okanagan Valley.
6 months of looking, checking. 2 full months of dualsport exploring, every day.
I moved from Manitoba 30 years ago. B.C. has been a paradise, all things considered.
Thoughts on the relative merits of the various areas/options?

We moved last May to the center of the Island and couldn't be happier with the decision... We settled on Campbell River which is probably the best compromise between congestion and back country access the Island has to offer.. If you want chaos and congestion head south from here, it gets worse the farther you go, especially in the summer... Heading north just out of town it becomes quiet and empty surprisingly fast... The summers are fairly warm and dry, we spent about a month of last summer with highs between 26 C and 34C and went for a long period {3-4 months} with very little rain... We thought about moving to the interior communities but after weight the pros and cons, the central island ticked the most boxes..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
KayDubbya
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Kelowna. End of discussion...

Has all the amenities you could need; International Airport, arts and entertainment, healthcare, lots of housing options in every price range, 2 months of snow (but hardly any rain compared to the island), tons of riding opportunities, easy access to the US (if you want to head south with the bike), a true 4 season playground. We've got it all. Except for long, expensive ferry rides!

What are you waiting for?
KayDubbya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,980
Always

Thought Salmon Arm would be good. Just big enough and looks like plenty of good riding in all directions. Vernon for sure, I think the best place in the Okanagan. Also lots of great riding all around. Lived in Kelowna back in the 80s and it was crowded then. Its a zoo now. Penticton may be Ok ,not sure. Osoyoos is awful. Peachland and Summerland are ok but, I don't think so. The Island. Been there several times and have good friends living there and they all love it. Always trying to convince us to move there. We will take 2 weeks there this summer and tour around. Campbell River is very nice and so is Nanimo seems nice but busy. Vancouver, no thanks, I'll take Calgary before Vancouver. They are all nice compared to the big city but what happens is Momma becomes grandma and there is no way you are dragging her to BC.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDubbya View Post
Kelowna. End of discussion...

Has all the amenities you could need; International Airport, arts and entertainment, healthcare, lots of housing options in every price range, 2 months of snow (but hardly any rain compared to the island), tons of riding opportunities, easy access to the US (if you want to head south with the bike), a true 4 season playground. We've got it all. Except for long, expensive ferry rides!

What are you waiting for?
Sure Kelowna is a nice place, every one wants to live there, and that has been is its downfall, it has gotten so damned congested .. We looked at it and we also looked at Kamloops, but those places have gotten too busy in a short time for our liking... But then again we come from a small town and Brett is out of the big city so there are differing opinions on what congestion is...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Pemberton

We've been wondering the same thing and want to be close to vancouver. We've been thinking of whistler or pemberton. Pemberton has a nice small town vibe, has amazing scenery, and is surrounded by amazing riding area. Land is still "cheap".

M.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 414
Maybe we should be asking what you want when not DS'ing. Other activities/interests?
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #10
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 593
Anywhere in BC can be as great as you are optimistic and curious (the exception being the lower main IMHO - way too many people)..........and don't forget to BC - Bring Cash!

Old 02-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #11
dddd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
I only travelled through, and I noticed Kamloops too. But I slept in Meritt, a tiny quiet place 80km south of kamloops.

Dunno how harsh the winter truly is there (lowest 25th percentile over year is at -5C), but if I had to leave the climate (lowest 25th percentile is -18C) of Montreal for BC, I would certainly NOT get on another island or traffic jam town like Vancouver...I get you.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Kootenay Lake Gets my vote. Great fishing.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
My priorities for a place to move to;

Close to the US.
Close to a hospital.
Quiet.
Good motorcycling, both on and off road.
But the main priority is good road cycling all year round.

I'm within a year or two of retiring, want to get out of the Lower Mainland. I grew up in Vancouver and it has been going downhill since Expo!

Cheers
Old 02-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #14
yamalama OP
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,241
We have spent the last 6 months in Penticton.
No way would I recommend this town.
Quite an eye opener for us.
The dual sport riding, however, is endless, out of Penticton.
We miss the city vibe a bit.
Pretty sure we are going to move to Kelowna. Kelowna is much more than
what is appears to be, when riding through on Hwy 97. Some exciting things happening there, and a chance at real estate appreciation.
The Okanagan has great skiing, water sports and wineries. Great fresh food available. I see it becoming THE bailout place for Vancouverites wanting to escape the madness.
Vancouver Island is a paradise, no doubt, my parents retired in Parksville. Pretty hard to beat the quality of the Vancouver Island people.
Gonna go house shopping in Kelowna this morning ........
Will report back on the findings ....... locations, pricing, etc.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
shuswap biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
There is the $1.99 question.
Do you still need to make an income? if you do and you want to work from home not on the road you need to be around a bigger center, and one that's not in a downturn.
Hows your health? in the Okanogan valley the hospitals are about 1/2-3/4 hour apart, you get into the Boundry country and Grand forks is the only one between Osooyas, Castlegar, and Kelowna.
Nakusp is the only Hospital between Revelstoke, Vernon And Nelson/Castlegar.

Big areas of nothingness still to be found.

Wet, Dry, Cold or Hot area?

And lastly investment in property, there is one heck of a difference in cost depending where you want to go.
The farther north the cheaper the cost for property, spring summer and fall in Canada the go south maybe??
shuswap biker is offline   Reply With Quote