ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
jfman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 867
Any way around high Canadian shipping costs?)UPS/Fedex/CanPost

Hello my fellow "contribuables",

As a Canadian who used to live in the US up until a little while ago I am just amazed at how much our shipping costs are witht the big guys (UPS Fedex and Canada Post)

Canada Post / Fedex and UPS all charge just so much money to ship stuff it is insane. Fo example I just shipped gas tank (15lbs - 24inches by 16 by 16) to the BC and my cost was 57$ via fedex.

Yet whenever I order something for a Canadian vendor, it comes in a huge box and their cost is quite low. I guess having a commercial account helps but their costs is less than half of mine.

What am I missing here? Anyone know how to get prices that are closer to those online vendors charge?
__________________
Tent space is where you make it

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Oddometer: 262
check with all shippers and you'll know who is the least or most.
and yes, large volume vendors can most certainly get pricing you can not.
also, i would say a vendor is taking some of the shipping cost upon themselves to help get your business away from local in store sellers.
all the best
ps: i would say business just costs more to do here in the north....fuel, vehicles, wages, etc....would all contribute to higher shipping costs.
__________________
2002 bmw f 650 dakar (wicked)
1977 honda GL 1000 g-wing (bye Grace, fly)
1983 honda cbx 550 fc (marlin's now)
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?
 
anonny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Beautiful Revelstoke BC
Oddometer: 5,478
If you live near a border town they sometimes have mailboxes you can rent and bring the goods across yourself and save boodles.
__________________
Kawasaki H1 build thread

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Oddometer: 262
i tink OP is speaking of domestic shipments....
but do chime in to clarify if we is wrong here.
peace
__________________
2002 bmw f 650 dakar (wicked)
1977 honda GL 1000 g-wing (bye Grace, fly)
1983 honda cbx 550 fc (marlin's now)
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,444
Funny I was just working out of the CP website to find the best rate, trying to get something from QC to BC.

Punched in your specs and that came up as $45.xx. Reduced parcel size by 1" all around and down to $41.xx.

Wouldn't be the first time I repackage something for "best rate" to a fellow ADVer or spend too much time on finding the "best rate".
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Hello my fellow "contribuables",


Yet whenever I order something for a Canadian vendor, it comes in a huge box and their cost is quite low. I guess having a commercial account helps but their costs is less than half of mine.

What am I missing here? Anyone know how to get prices that are closer to those online vendors charge?
A company I worked with a few years ago would receive between 40 and 50% off the normal rates for parcel shipments from Fedex, DHL and Purolator depending on the lane the package was going. The rates were determined solely on our projected volume (and the revenue it generated) for the year - we were sending approx 20 - 30 courier package per day, which compared to some companies is small change.

Short answer, unless you are a high(er) volume customer, you will not get good rates compared to the online vendors.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer
 
woofer2609's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Extreme Pacific SouthWest (of Canada)
Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Hello my fellow "contribuables",

As a Canadian who used to live in the US up until a little while ago I am just amazed at how much our shipping costs are witht the big guys (UPS Fedex and Canada Post)

Canada Post / Fedex and UPS all charge just so much money to ship stuff it is insane. Fo example I just shipped gas tank (15lbs - 24inches by 16 by 16) to the BC and my cost was 57$ via fedex.

Yet whenever I order something for a Canadian vendor, it comes in a huge box and their cost is quite low. I guess having a commercial account helps but their costs is less than half of mine.

What am I missing here? Anyone know how to get prices that are closer to those online vendors charge?
I've had very good luck with Purolator. But yes, rates are ridiculous, which is why Canada's online sales, Ebay, etc. is underdeveloped. The shipping costs are a major reason why.
http://globalnews.ca/news/758354/hig...ppers-offline/
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
I've had very good luck with Purolator. But yes, rates are ridiculous, which is why Canada's online sales, Ebay, etc. is underdeveloped. The shipping costs are a major reason why.
http://globalnews.ca/news/758354/hig...ppers-offline/
Purolator is owned by Canada post and when it comes to larger items they usually undercut the post office by 5-10%... I order larger stuff through princess auto on occasion and Purolator is the way to go..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
boxermoose
Now fully goosed
 
boxermoose's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Gulf Coast TX
Oddometer: 2,834
We used to ship stuff from Ontario to BC on the bus all the time - ridicules sized Christmas parcels for (relatively)cheap.

Not real fast tho
__________________
Sometimes you get the ABAT....and sometimes the ABAT gets you
boxermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: SW Ontario
Oddometer: 131
For shipping within Canada, it's hard to beat Greyhound. it's not quite as convenient as Canada post, or courier, but it's usually a lot cheaper.

When you want to ship Canada post, do it through Paypal. I have been a venture one (Canada post small business) customer for over 10 years and I still get a bigger discount if I ship through Paypal.

I can give you a link to do that if you need it.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
jfman OP
Studly Adventurer
 
jfman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
When you want to ship Canada post, do it through Paypal. I have been a venture one (Canada post small business) customer for over 10 years and I still get a bigger discount if I ship through Paypal.

I can give you a link to do that if you need it.

Even for stuff that wasnt paid for thru paypal?

Oh please do!
__________________
Tent space is where you make it

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: SW Ontario
Oddometer: 131
It doesn't have to have been paid for through PP, but you do need an account. When it is paid through PP, the address enters automatically, if the customer has one in his account.

This will show you how to do it

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Secret-PayPa...7215096/g.html
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Oddometer: 262
that appears to be for USPS shipments.....ooop
__________________
2002 bmw f 650 dakar (wicked)
1977 honda GL 1000 g-wing (bye Grace, fly)
1983 honda cbx 550 fc (marlin's now)
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: SW Ontario
Oddometer: 131
Did you try it?
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe
 
Sunday Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: North of T.Ho., Ontario
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
It doesn't have to have been paid for through PP, but you do need an account. When it is paid through PP, the address enters automatically, if the customer has one in his account.

This will show you how to do it

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Secret-PayPa...7215096/g.html
Thanks for this tip. I've saved the link for future shipping. The write up says USPS but when you get the link and get into your Paypal account, it shows the carriers as Canada Post and UPS. Very cool.
__________________
'97 Honda ST1100
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014