Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Move over Beaver....Here comes the T-CAT
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #137
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,473
Just a couple of days until a group of us head east

Looks like there are about 8 of us who will be riding together for the next week or two. A couple of guys from south of the border that I haven't met yet and are on their way north to meet us Thursday in Ottawa Our plan is fairly loose but riding the Trans Labrador Highway is the first "tick" on the list. The TLH will more than likely be a part of T-Cat . Our thoughts are that having a nice "relaxing" 3-4 days of long gravel with little too no navagation will make for a nice break between Newfoundland and the Quebec/Ontario sections of the route. The TLH works with what we want this route to become, remote wilderness. Aside from a few towns there's not much up there

After the TLH we plan to take a ferry over to the island of Newfoundland. There are a few trails that we have researched and look forward to trying out. Newfoundland has a bunch of double track old rail lines on it. From what we can tell a few of these will make up a part of the T-Cat. Skibum69 will ultimately be creating this section of the route but we're hoping to ride as many of the possible sections he plans to add to it. The main rail trail is called the T'Rail and runs for about 900 km's across the middle of the island. We have a few other trails to try out (Burin ATV trail and a couple of other rail trails) while we're over there. Throw in some touristy stuff and some "pubbing" and it looks like a fun 17 day ride

Here's our proposed route for the next few weeks.

In typical fashion I'm scrambelling to get the bike and gear ready. While changing my oil the other day the threads to the oil resorvoir came out with the drain plug. I tried a self tapping oil drain screw but couldn't get it to catch. I've now inserted a helicoil in it but it's still leaking (didnt get the hole drilled exactly straight ). Dan's coming over tonight and we'll try adding one or two brass crush washers and maybe some jbweld to try and seal it. New tires need to get spooned on then we're off. I had a bunch of other maintenance task scheduled for the bike (wheel and steering head bearings, wire in a usb charger and an inverter, etc) but it looks they'll have to wait until August when we get back along with the wife's never ending honey do list.

Last minute email are flying around in typical fashion. Who's bring what, where and when to meet, which route to take out of the city, etc The weather looks ...well ....not bad. Rain is a part of the scenery on the Atlantic coast and I'm sure we'll get our fair share

One of the things I'm looking forward to seeing is how Pelvis (Brian)makes out with his hammock From what I've seen in the north country the tree's are SMALL and we plan on cowboy camping for the most part. How the heck does someone use a hammock in a gravel pit? This could have a few funny stories. Quotes like " no I read on the web you can string it up between two ski poles " just makes me laugh. A 200 lb + guy who likes to sleep on his side, has back pain currently, heading out for 17 days of camping with a hammock. I can almost guarantee this will be good for a few laughs

I won't be updating the this report while we're gone (I hate the idea of sitting with a laptop while on "vacation" instead of meeting the locals and being in the moment and just enjoying where I am. Kudo's to those who do update their ride reports while on the road, but it's not for me). I will however do my best to take as many photo's as possible and update this thread when we get back.

Cheers ... talk to ya in a few weeks

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #138
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Just a couple of days until a group of us head east

Quote:

I won't be updating the this report while we're gone (I hate the idea of sitting with a laptop while on "vacation" instead of meeting the locals and being in the moment and just enjoying where I am. Kudo's to those who do update their ride reports while on the road, but it's not for me). I will however do my best to take as many photo's as possible and update this thread when we get back.
I'll be waiting
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #139
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,128
Awesome

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #140
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,683
Only 3 more sleeps
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #141
Outside
Confused

Oddometer: 155
If nominations are still open...

Just in case the name isn't decided yet...I'd like to suggest:

True North Trail....as in True North Strong and Free.

That way we could ride the TNT...

Either way, I'm excited about this project!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #142
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,393
How about the Beaver Trail?????
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #143
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside
Just in case the name isn't decided yet...I'd like to suggest:

True North Trail....as in True North Strong and Free.

That way we could ride the TNT...

Either way, I'm excited about this project!

Can you call a route that goes east to west the True North Trail ? LOL

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #144
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,032
TNT is an interesting name, but you are right... from a canadian point of view, there's nothing about true north (IMHO)
'92 KTM 400 LC4 (the first 400 LC4 produced, pre-serie unit)
rinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #145
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,032
I just had a look to your route... too bad you're going to Peggy's cove
Next time... we don't all have the Rene's schedule !
'92 KTM 400 LC4 (the first 400 LC4 produced, pre-serie unit)
rinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #146
Outside
Confused

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Can you call a route that goes east to west the True North Trail ? LOL

I suppose it could cause confusion. It was just a suggestion.

Again, thanks for the initiative in taking this on. I'll be buying a trail guide if/when they're available..
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #147
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

I like TNT also. Wow greaat suggestions guys.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #148
Elburrito
Donkey

Oddometer: 2,281
ok guys I'm subscribed to this thread (let us know if you plan on starting a new one).
Oh, and please be sure to take plenty of pictures....especially of Pelvis in his hammock and/or after a few wobbly pops. Some scenery ones would be nice as well.
Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #149
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Well here I sit at work in my cubicle instead of hitting the road with the other 7 guys for the two week trip A series of mechanical mishaps have delayed me.

Had surgery two weeks ago which prevented me from working on my bike for a week and half (drugged and flat on my back). Started late last week to work and prep my bike. While doing an oil change I removed the drain bolt from the oil resorvoir and the threads from the resorvoir came out. Tried a few approaches over a few days and finally got it to work 3 days later (keep in mind I was/am still in some considerable discomfort and have a full time job and a crazy honey do list I promised to take care of before leaving on "another damn bike trip" ). A heli coil and a couple of crush washers combined with ALOT of loctite and finally got the drain plug to stop leaking. A quick test ride revealed that the countersprocket bolt was stripped and loose and the washer (with inside teeth?) was bent way out of shape and missing half the teeth. Jerry rigged something and got into town all packed up this morning and dropped by a fastner shop and got a new nut for the counter sprocket, yehaa I'll be good to go after working on the bike during my lunch break at work and ready to leave work early to meet the guys for our pre arranged meeting at 5 pm. But no! Rear tire is flat Okay I can deal with this ........ got the new nut on after bending the washer this way and that to get a couple of the teeth to stick (less than ideal but heck it's only got to work for 9000 km's). Got bike into a local shop to look at the back tire. Whats that weird grinding noise ? Damn I have no front brake pads left and the last bit just wore threw and is now grinding my rotor Callled local dealer and yes they have them in stock, Dan picks me up and we drive across the city where the cute young girl says oh I thought you said rear pads, we don't have front pads in stock, ARG ordered them and "guaranteed" they will be in tomorrow.

Emailed the group of guys that I will be a day behind and will catch up on Sunday in Churchill Falls (half way up the Trans Lab). Looks like a couple of long iron butt days for me (and Dan, thanks Dan ). Haven't heard back from them ..... hope they get my emails and don't wait around too long waiting for me

My fault? YEP To be honest I had written down and planned on some extensive maintenance on the bike, and was to do it 3 weeks before leaving so I didn't run into this kind of a situation. But being flat out on my back up until a week ago and under some crazy oxy cotton pills for a week and a half kind of phased me out a bit. Sorry ahead of time to the lads, I WILL be catching up and WILL be in Churchill Falls on Sunday at 6pm at the gas with Dan. So a couple of long days in the saddle ahead of me...gonna hurt like hell, still open wound from the surgery (still changing the dressing on it every 4 hours).

So...the adventure begins. A case of MANY very COLD beers tonight, a leisurely start tomorrow then ride like hell for a few days. Anyone ever done the Trans Lab rally style

Vroom vroom !
Wish me luck

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #150
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,360
Holy shit, that's Murphy's Law all the way. Sit down and drink those beers tonight and forget about it. Tomorrow's a new day.

I'd love to do a trip like that some day, but for now I can only manage shorter, wimpier rides. In fact, I just got back from a week of Georgian Bay, Manitoulin Island, Algonquin Park -- report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602104

Good luck.

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote