Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #151
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,454
I think I spotted Ted and Dan blasting down the 417 exiting at the 174 split at noon hour. Loaded up and hitting the road. Have fun, and take lots of pictures.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #152
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito
ok guys I'm subscribed to this thread (let us know if you plan on starting a new one).
Oh, and please be sure to take plenty of pictures....especially of Pelvis in his hammock and/or after a few wobbly pops. Some scenery ones would be nice as well.

Well the hammock worked out pretty well.

pelvis_98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #153
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,740
Back home a week early. Pelvis and myself came back with our bikes in a Uhaul (long story and it'll get told:) ) Martin, Chris and Renauld are on their way back now (scheduled, they were only going to be doing a week), heard from Dan last night by telephone. He's stuck in Corner Brook New Foundland. 6 fuel pumps later and he says he thinks he has the issue resolved. He made the earliest ferry reservation he could get (10 day wait) and is going to head to St Johns for the music festival.

The Trans Labrador Highway did not disappoint. A great ride, lot's of stories to tell and several pictures to show. This road will make a great addition to the route !

Give me a day or two to unpack, tie up some loose ends, upload some pics then I'll post a recap of the trip.

Teaser

Lost rad cap in engine
Lost all electricals on bike
Broke key in half unlocking seat to get at tools
Fuel pump blows
Exhaust pipe brakes in half near rear cyclinder
4 sets of rear brake pads wear threw
Crash resulting in no headlight, no more master cyclinder for front brakes, turn signals and a busted up front fairing
Another crash resulting in some cracks and scratches
A Chain streched beyond useable
A few tip overs
A case of mild hypothermia
Eatin alive by blackflies
Several rewarding cold beers
Flirting with a gay guy in order to get on a ferry
Rain, sun, wind, good people, fun road, great riding .....

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #154
rinho
Rinho Féroce

Oddometer: 1,047
Sorry everything did not went happily

Quote:
Broke key in half unlocking seat to get at tools
Had that on a friend's 1150GS... some hours to be able to have the bike working again
Quote:
Fuel pump blows
I had the same troub le on my 1150, last month in Providence RI: 7 hours down the road fixing the trouble (thanks Dunbar Euro-Motor-Sport MA to have the part in stock and wait for me after the close time) ... only ONE rider stop by and offered help
Quote:
Exhaust pipe brakes in half near rear cyclinder
On LC8 ?
just curious, 2 of my friends just have this trouble the last 2 weeks

Can't wait to read your ride report
Old 07-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #155
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,514
This looks fantastic. Will it be coast to coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Nah, the Trans Lab will be a part of the route along with a couple of other long gravel roads though. Definetly hummed and hawed the Trans Taiga Scheferrville route but at the end of the day this needs to be doable. Sending folks down a rail line with active trains just didn't seem wise
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #156
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
This looks fantastic. Will it be coast to coast?
That's the plan. Complete the Eastern Half (Atlantic to Manitoba) by the end of next season. Spend that winter fine tuning the roadbook, gps routes and written guide book then make it available off of our site. Spring 2012 it should be good to go. Approx 6000 miles (10000 km's) for the Eastern half.

Then begin riding the Western half. We've had so many offers to help with the Western half that we have come up with a tentative plan for it. We have a few lines on a map that we know well and want to include. Based on others inputs we may be able to fill in the gaps. We will have others pre ride the different sections and post up reports into this thread. This winter we will begin a "master map" for the western half. Summer of 2012 we will take a month or whatever it takes and go and ride the route, having each contributor join us for their section or for as long as they'd like. Also anyone else who wants to jump in for a section, day, week or whatever. The more we discuss this the more the idea is growing on us. The big advanages of going this way would be the speed at which this project could get completed, having others input will more than likely make the route better as no one knows an area like a local, we would get to meet all kinds of new like minded folks and get to ride with them, and it let's others be a part of this project. What does everyone think of this method for the Western half ? We're creating this route for others to enjoy, why not let them enjoy taking part in helping create it.

If all goes well that would put us into a position to spend the winter of 20012-2013 getting the route ready to be published for the spring of 2013 and would make the entire route complete.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #157
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,005
Fight with a gay guy to get on a ferry? Anyone else see any humor in that line? Anyone???

This should be an interesting installment!!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #158
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
Fight with a gay guy to get on a ferry? Anyone else see any humor in that line? Anyone???

I saw the humor in it and wanted to say somthing, but since i had to get on the ferry too i kept my mouth shut.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #159
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi

Not fight .... Flirt .... YIKES !

Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #160
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Not fight .... Flirt .... YIKES !
Dude!!! LOL, that just shows that we really DON'T read all the letters in a word or sentance!!!

I apologize NOW for making you out to be one of those Intolerant people!!

The mind sees what it wants to see.....

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #161
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,330
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98
Well the hammock worked out pretty well.

That looks like an awesome camping spot! Love the hammock...although I don't think my back could take a night in it.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #162
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames
That looks like an awesome camping spot! Love the hammock...although I don't think my back could take a night in it.
Actually, you would be surprised how much better your back feels after spending a night in it rather then spending a night sleeping on the ground.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #163
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
I have used a Hennesey Hammock for about 4 years and you will not get a better sleep on the ground. Especially with a bad back. I sleep on my side usually.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #164
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

And another chapter begins in creating this route; a group of us had been planning this trip for some time. Every year a groups of us from Ottawa do an expedition type trip on our bikes. This yearly trip gets organized through our web site advcanada.com. Last year we went up into Northern Quebec and rode the Rue Du Nord and the Trans Taiga Highway. We had a great time and it was kind of decided that this year we would go and ride the Trans Labrador Highway across Quebec/Labrador. We've been waiting a few years for the road to get completed and it looked promising for 2010 to be that year. After committing to creating a route across the country this trip just sort of worked out two fold. One for our yearly trip and two to be a recon trip to see if the Trans Lab would work for the route. I was a bit sceptical due to the long paved sections before, during and after the TLH that would have to become a part of the route.

8 months of emails, a couple of pub meets and the group was finally made up. A handful of folks wanted to come, new job won't let me get away, family commitments and health issues prevented some familiar faces from joining us. Next time guys Half the folks who were coming were going to make a one week trip out of it and three of us intended to spend an extra week riding some trails around Newfoundland. Some guys from a local NFLD dualsport forum ( www.ridetherock.com ) helped us out with some route suggestions for the island. Kudo's to the members of this forum, a very helpful group of people who seem very passionate about sharing their part of the world. A great resource for anyone heading to NFLD. Because we intended to ride lot's of double track this had some impact of how our bikes would get loaded. Fast and light became the buzzword for the three of us as we planned our different packing strategies. Soft luggage for Dan and myself and scrapping a sleeping pad and tent for a hammock for Pelvis. What don't we need or what can we split and share between us became the topic of more than a few emails and pints over the winter months.
I choose a Gaint Loop system for my bike. A Great Basin bag and Fandango tank bag. The concept of keeping heavy items low and snug seemed wise. The narrow profile also was a huge draw for me, I've caught panniers on tree's, etc while riding double track and trails before and choose not to do that again. Nothing like having your bike ripped around 180 degree's while you take a header into the ruhbarb. The added bonus of no luggage rack (weight) and their products being waterproof made it a done deal for me. Dan choose a Giant Loop tank bag and a Wolfman setup for his bike. He wanted the luggage racks to help distribute weight off of the subframe of his ktm 950 se, this bike has a known weak subframe. Brian choose to go with hard panniers for his 800 gs but kept his weight down by minimizing his gear. I'll let them speak to how their setups worked out for them as the report gets going.

The other three members of our group were all riding 1200 gs's. Chris I know from several local rides as well as from last years trip to Northern Quebec. Renuad I had only just met while planning this trip. Martin hails from Toronto, bought a 12gs adv last Novemeber and had never ridden on gravel before. So there we are, 6 of us with different bikes/setups and varying degrees of riding skills and experience. To say everyone was keen/excited/nervous to get going is probably an understatement. We all have jobs, families, etc and are just working type folk. Getting a week or two off from our lives is not always an easy task as I'm sure most readers of this forum can relate to.

Day one had me and Dan driving around town doing last minute preps to our bikes and gear. Sadly after crossing many obstacles to leave on time my brake pads were not going to be in until early afternoon the next day. Bummer! Last minute emails and the result was Dan and myself would leave a day later than the other four guys and we'd catch up along the way. I like to ride fast and so does Dan so this didn't seem like it would be an issue. Fast you say? Ya I know it's not for everyone but it's the way I ride. I love the enjoyment of being "in the zone". Riding gravel roads requires concentration, add speed and it demands more concentration. This is what I find relaxing oddly enough. One thing to focus on, what's in front of you. Your movements become automatic, 4,5,6,5,6,5,4th gear becomes reflex. No thoughts of home, job, kids, etc. Some folks ride bikes as a means to explore and see new places, I ride bikes because I love riding bikes. I enjoy the road as much as the scenery and people. Sounds odd to write but heck it needs explaining I think. When I see something out of my pheripheral vision I stop and enjoy the moment. I don't race to get places, more like I ride fast between breaks. I'd rather sit with my bike off and enjoy the silence that the wilderness has to offer and then giver like crap to the next place that grabs my attention. I don't think one way is better than another, just preference and personality that decides how we ride. So the four guys headed out while Dan and myself enojyed a few cold beers and one more night in town. After all of the stress of trying to get my bike up and running over the last few days, a good nights sleep might be just what the doctor ordered.

I got an email that night from Pelvis that they covered a few hundred km's that evening and had setup camp East of Montreal amd that all was good with them

Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #165
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

I had gotten a phone call a few hours before we were scheduled to leave. It was Ted saying he would not be able to leave until the next day. I was trying to decide whether to wait or to go ahead with the other group. I ended up going ahead and was going to keep in touch with Ted as we progressed along our route.

Our goal was to leave after work and to get to just the other side of Montreal so that we could have a fresh start in the morning and avoid most of the traffic. This seemed to work out good and we found a campground about an hour east of it.

During all our planning over the winter I came up with the bright idea to not use the tent but a hammock instead. It seemed like a great idea at the time until everyone started laughing at me saying "what are you going to tie that thing too"

On our first night camping we pulled into a camp ground and the girl gave us a spot. So first night and our spot doesnt have trees. Great I thought, this is not going to work out too well. There were two trees beside some other campers but i didnt want to set up two feet from them so they could listen to me snore all night. There was another spot a little further way but it was right beside the little creek, I had visions of the hammock letting go in the middle of the night and me rolling into the water and being trapped inside. This is where I eventualy ended up setting up my hammock.

I was settled in, and it was at this point that I remembered back to our planning: that we were going to share some stuff that we brought. I was going to share things with Ted, which now I didn't have as he was a day behind. It also dawned on me that he said "don't bring food. We will stop at subway". The other guys had brought a week's worth of food and were not really planning on stopping to pick up food in restarunts. Thanks for the oatmeal and water Renaud.