Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #2281
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Great vid. I miss the wide open space of the prairies.

Too bad you nixed it due to the gates. Just takes one butthead to leave one open I guess.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #2282
Lawrences
n00b

Oddometer: 4
This is a great project thanks to everyone involved for doing this.

kiffernathan - great photos and a great video and your common sense narration is just right...

Lawrences screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 05:21 AM
Lawrences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #2283
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
BTW, GISDood, I took a look at the online maps you set up and they look great! Nice work.

I will send my stuff when I get it done later this summer.
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #2284
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the positive comments. I am working on the video for this latest ride - it will be very similar to the one I already posted, but more wide open spaces!

With the gates, I think most guys who ride the TCAT will be more responsible than the guys with quads, dirtbikes, and beers who tend to rip around and abuse people's land. I would hope that most of the people interested in doing a ride like the TCAT would have a healthy respect for properly closing gates and for staying on established trails. You are right that one "mistake" could be costly, but one of the biggest reasons for not routing the TCAT through all those gates was the lack of continuity of the ride - stopping every minute or two to open and close another gate gets old really quickly. Too bad, 'cause the trail through there was awesome!
2007 Versys
Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #2285
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
On the second week of June I am leaving Toronto heading west. After a stop in N Manitoba I am heading straight west to Yorkton then up to Spalding, to see where I was born. Then I am continuing west to Saskatoon. You posted this at a perfect time. If I can figure out the mapping I would love to do this route south, then continue on to the Great Sand Hills area.
The video sold me.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #2286
Sierra_Lima_Hotel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
TCAT route in BC - AB

TCAT is really starting to make headlines! Nice job, guys.

My hubby and I are just back from our Calgary to South America trip and are in Vancouver at the moment. Can you share any route snippets for BC or AB to help get us home with some adventure?

thanks!
SLR

http://hasselmann.wordpress.com
Sierra_Lima_Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #2287
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the video from that last ride that Sask_Pirate and I did (May 12):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5jcyMkzWg

... and a little video of some hooliganism in the mud in/near Saskatoon - not adventure riding and no narrative, but still fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX0tI...0PPYmQ&index=1
2007 Versys
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #2288
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
TCAT Status and Updates

It has been a while since I posted in this thread, not because I have lost interest in it but rather as the planning of the TCAT project has been ongoing and I wanted to finalize the concept prior to making our intent public.

Sadly I wont have time, due to life getting in the way, to spend the summer riding the western half of the proposed route. This was something I was really, really looking forward to. Not the end of the world but certainly a disappointment for me. After some planning and work arounds it should not affect the TCAT project which is a great relief.

So where does the TCAT stand right now?

The Eastern hlaf is 98% complete (NFLD to Manitoba border).

Manitoba to BC has been mapped and is well on its way to being complete. Chris created this section of the route and based on his video's, photo's and writeups it looks fantastic.

Ross has mapped the BC portion and intends to finish riding it this summer.

David has put together a great route across Vancouver Island to the TCAT's terminus.

Changes to the TCAT project

A few changes have been decided upon. The TCAT will be provided at no cost (maps and gps files). The route description will also be provided at no cost on the www.GravelTravel.ca website. We had plans of publishing a written guidebook and or having paper maps available but in the end we made the choice to give it away at no cost. We feel that the TCAT will benefit greatly from this approach. It will become a living, breathing enitity and having it all available online will enable required changes (road closures, etc) much easier to make. It also has the added benefit of keeping the route true to its orgin, a route created by a collection of people for others to enjoy.

The intent is to have the entiore route complete and available this fall (2012). What we would ask of folks who travel parts of the route is to let us know of any inaccuracies to the maps, gps files or route description so that we can make the needed changes. We would also ask each person top contribute some photos we could use on the website. Found a cool campsite or restaurant along the way that others would benefit from knowing about? let us know so we can post that info into the route description.

It is in this manner that we foresee the route being sustainable, with the contributions from others. This is perfectly inline with how the route was created and likely the only way for the route to continue to be accurate.

So 2013 will be the first season that the TCAT will be rideable. A few folks have approached me and have enquired about riding it in its entirety. A group from Australia, one from the US and one from Europe. To us this is very cool that our little project has gained some popularity in the small world of travel enduro folks.

This summer each of the contributors will be riding sections of the route and working on the writeups, maps and files. In the future we look forward to hearing about your experiences in travelling the TCAT and your contributions to the route.

TCAT season is here and I look forward to riding a few established sections (verify gps files, etc) and to ride a few sections that I haven't yet had the chance to.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2289
carlosbarrios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Riding to Windigo Lake

Hi Deadly,

Me and some friends are riding up to Windigo Lake from NY at the end of August (via Elliot Lake etc). I'd be glad to help out with accuracy and pictures for the sections we will be riding. I'll send you a gpx file of the route we're planning on following. I believe most sections are part of the TCAT. Let me know how else we can help.

BTW, I know we haven't officially met, but we were Team BEAN at the Dacre Challenge last week (Mud Blood and Gasoline!)
carlosbarrios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #2290
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbarrios View Post
Hi Deadly,

Me and some friends are riding up to Windigo Lake from NY at the end of August (via Elliot Lake etc). I'd be glad to help out with accuracy and pictures for the sections we will be riding. I'll send you a gpx file of the route we're planning on following. I believe most sections are part of the TCAT. Let me know how else we can help.

BTW, I know we haven't officially met, but we were Team BEAN at the Dacre Challenge last week (Mud Blood and Gasoline!)

Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #2291
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Well said Deadly

I'm looking forward to next year giving more time for me to get to know the trails you guys have worked so hard to create.

A Big Two Thumbs Up
Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #2292
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,678
sweet!!!!

I wish I had money and time to test out some more routes for the TCAT!!! I really am proud that I was a small part of the project. Ted you're the coolest!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #2293
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Kiwis on the TAT

A small group of us from New Zealand have plans underway to ride (hopefully ) the entire TCAT in July & August 2013.
We would be interested to hear of similar plans from other riders.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #2294
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
A small group of us from New Zealand have plans underway to ride (hopefully ) the entire TCAT in July & August 2013.
We would be interested to hear of similar plans from other riders.

I think others groups (ones that contacted me) are still in the "planning" phase. I have no idea of their commitment levels or if they are in the "dreamer" category. If you guys come over I'd love to join you for a few days of your ride where the route comes by my house.

Shoot me a message once you have dates sorted

Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #2295
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,291
Nice post Deadly, very generous
If I had time this summer I would go back to Port Cartier and map the gps track to Godbout
( or on to Baie Comeau if it exists ).

Maybe one of our Quebec riders can do that also ? . . . it would be nice to have more dirt as an option.
The hwy along the St Lawrence is a nice cruise when you're tired of the gravel also.

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz

TREE screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 07:41 PM
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote