Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #2311
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
That was one on my favorite rides Frank! Have to get back and ride there again!
Funny you mention that. That particular ride remains one of my favorites too. It was the first real off road with the 990, heck, the first off road period. And, yes, I'm up for a return to Pencil Lake. Just let me know when.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #2312
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 376
Rocer10 (Paul) and I made our way up there last weekend to view the Beaver Dam & water crossing. I did the go around, only to pick the wrong line and end up in the bushes. I'm sure if it was caught on video it would have reminded you of Arte Johnson riding his tricycle on Laugh-In.

Hope to get up there again in the next couple of weeks and go exploring through to Apsley.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #2313
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
Connected the dots for a section of TCAT in eastern Ontario. Fun day until......

New bike is running well on a positive note. What do you say when your confronted with going 49 over the limit while standing on the pegs ? What do you say when asked why your driving a dirt bike on the highway?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 12:21 PM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #2314
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Connected the dots for a section of TCAT in eastern Ontario. Fun day until......

New bike is running well on a positive note. What do you say when your confronted with going 49 over the limit while standing on the pegs ?
Wow! Good news/Bad news for sure.

What did you say? Were you able to talk your way out of it?

Even part of it?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #2315
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,669
Put a turn signal on and head out across the median?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #2316
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,676
Tell him.....

...you were trying to lure this guy in for him.

Sorry Ted, hopefully a 950 adv part will pay your way...
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #2317
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

New bike is running well on a positive note. What do you say when your confronted with going 49 over the limit while standing on the pegs ? What do you say when asked why your driving a dirt bike on the highway?
"Sorry Officer, I was just stretching my legs and its hard to see the speedo from up there"
Nah thats never guna work
Whats the new bike, an XR650 ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #2318
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Here is what I said. Eyes down, sorry sir. I was working on the tcat. "what's a tcat?"...yada yada...."wow that's cool"......no tickets for me

Even the cops are supportive of the project, that's pretty feaking cool

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #2319
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Hey Deadly99,

Findian says you'll be in my neck of the woods (Sudbury) this weekend/early next week and maybe could use a guide to map out the Sudbury-Timmins section. I can show you the way(s) if you like. I have start points both east and west of Sudbury (or central even) that will take you to Timmins with very minimal pavement (for fueling only. I also have trail options that are truck-friendly, big bike friendly or not big bike friendly. I start two weeks holidays this Friday so if you want, we can even map out all the routes and that would let you assign difficulty ratings to them so other riders can use them as alternates or bail-routes.

I'd really love to help do this. Hell even if you already have a route planned and just want to map it, I'd love to tag along. You're welcome to crash at my house at the Sudbury end (Chelmsford actually) and I have a nice lodge in mind we can use at the Timmins end called Post 392 if you're not interested in tenting it.

Anyway, let me know. I will PM you my cell number as well.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #2320
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Hey Deadly99,

Findian says you'll be in my neck of the woods (Sudbury) this weekend/early next week and maybe could use a guide to map out the Sudbury-Timmins section. I can show you the way(s) if you like. I have start points both east and west of Sudbury (or central even) that will take you to Timmins with very minimal pavement (for fueling only. I also have trail options that are truck-friendly, big bike friendly or not big bike friendly. I start two weeks holidays this Friday so if you want, we can even map out all the routes and that would let you assign difficulty ratings to them so other riders can use them as alternates or bail-routes.

I'd really love to help do this. Hell even if you already have a route planned and just want to map it, I'd love to tag along. You're welcome to crash at my house at the Sudbury end (Chelmsford actually) and I have a nice lodge in mind we can use at the Timmins end called Post 392 if you're not interested in tenting it.

Anyway, let me know. I will PM you my cell number as well.

Sean

Leaving Monday morning from Sudbury with two other fellows from the forum. Scott rode the section last year and posted in this thread. He missed a small section and wanted top go back and finish it and it worked with my schedule so I'm joining him. Steponit is also joining us.

The plan is to ride to Timmins on the proposed route (Portelance Rd and Grassy Rd). Last year I briefly explored a hydro line trail on each road and hope to go back and fully explore them as an option for the route.

From Timmins it's backroads to a lodge (Halfway Haven). Then the next day up to Wawa and maybe continue a bit further on the route towards ThunderBay.

Meeting some folks along the way which should be cool. Gord from Wawa created this section of the route (THANKS) and hoping to tip a beer with him while we are in his neck of the woods.

Your welcome to join us if you'd like. Shoot me an email

Old 08-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #2321
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Leaving Sunday. Meeting up with SDWebb and Steponit to go and ride the TCAT for 3 days and do some exploring of some potential "optional tech sections". Looks like we'll be meeting a few other inmates along the way

Bike prep is done, emails to get our plans together are over, reservations made for accommodations, etc

Here is our intended route. If you happen to see us give a wave (or a salute )

Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #2322
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 709
Too bad you can't make it all the way to the west coast. Just got a new job and some of the training is in Ottawa so maybe we can meet for a beer or two....
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #2323
commando ricard
n00b

Oddometer: 9
nice meeting going to Caniapiscau

During hollidays, I'm gone to Caniapiscau, Radisson, Chisasibi from St Jerome, using at max the trails.
A 4560 km ride. I take the trail at Saint Michel des Saint to Chapais. Then, the road to Chibougamau, eand the trail La Route du Nord to Nemaska and the James Bay Road.

After Namaska, I see 2 bikes stopped on the trail. I stop to know if all it's ok, and I see the ADV Sticker on the bikes. It's Marcoue and his friend Geoffroy. Cool, i'm very happy to meet them on the trail. After presentation, I take some pics.

Few moment after, I keep on ride to Caniapiscau. I'm gone to Radisson and Chisasibi, then at the return, I'he cross the Bay James Road to Matagami.

Then, The trail RO 1005 to Lebel. At Lebel I've taken the road to sSenneterre, then I've Taken the trail to Parent and Mont Laurier. Nice Ride, with beautefull senic places.
commando ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #2324
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Route du Nord

Hi Xavier,
It was great seeing you and your wife on that rather barren road. It is always a treat to meet travelers from France (les Alps) in the outback. You guys are always so well prepared. Loved your Mercedes. Dis bonjour to your wife and hope you have great future trips. Happy trails.
To all you eagle eyed ADVers......I am not anal just forgetful. That blue paper towel on my light cover is there not because I clean it every time I stop. It is there because I didn't remove it when we left the camp site. This photo is the first evidence of my continuing memory slide and might have never come to light without this pic as it must have disappeared somewhere down the road.
Geoffrey
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #2325
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Looks like you folks had a good trip. A few of the roads you took are part of the TCAT route (Parent up to Chibougamou, etc). The others are a part of another route we published last year. The True North East (TNE) route. It starts at the New Brunswick/Maine border and ends at the temrinus of the Trans Taiga. In fact a group of folks are about to leave the US and travel the TNE this week I believe.

Well bike is packed and about to hit the road to Sudbury (700 km from home) to meet Steponit and SDWebb. Tomroow we begin travelling the TCAT heading northwest