Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #2326
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Your trip looks like a lot of fun! Have a safe one.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #2327
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,173
have fun Ted! Looking forward to the RR.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #2328
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 942
rest of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
have fun Ted! Looking forward to the RR.
What about the rest of us going??? are we not able to have fun then??

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #2329
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
What about the rest of us going??? are we not able to have fun then??
Absolutley!!! Ted just seems as though he may need a bit of a nudge in the fun department. kidding of course You boys be safe and take lots of pics!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2330
Machog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Great thread guys, you and the bikes both took a beating!

In hind site, which was the most reliable/suitable bike and if you were starting afresh, what bike would you choose-same again or go for something different.

Tx Machog
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2331
marcoue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP View Post
Hi Xavier,
It was great seeing you and your wife on that rather barren road. It is always a treat to meet travelers from France (les Alps) in the outback. You guys are always so well prepared. Loved your Mercedes. Dis bonjour to your wife and hope you have great future trips. Happy trails.
To all you eagle eyed ADVers......I am not anal just forgetful. That blue paper towel on my light cover is there not because I clean it every time I stop. It is there because I didn't remove it when we left the camp site. This photo is the first evidence of my continuing memory slide and might have never come to light without this pic as it must have disappeared somewhere down the road.
Geoffrey
I was wondering what this was on your headlight!

Here are a few more pictures from the trip! And thanks to Xavier for the nice clips too!

Oh and before I forget, I hid a couple of emergency tires at the western start of the North road, just in case, just at the bottom of the big fir to the right of the sign (picture below)!!! They should be easy to find, this is at the junction of the Baie James Road and the North Road.

Just in case, you know tire are hard to come by in this area!!!

The road was ok. A few stretches of loose gravel on the eastern side where we had to be a bit more careful but all in all, a well maintained gravel road. Not much to see, but still a great adventure.

The only problem right now was the f... bugs. I did the same trip (all the way to Radisson last August and I was able to camp and dine outside without my lovely hat... Not this year! July is too early to go up there and really take advantage of the wilderness, the lake, camping and nature. Your just being attacked from all sides!!! End of August it is for me from now on!

Canadian Adventure: Montreal to Inuvik solo (2008)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466421
marcoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #2332
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,844
Awesome day, made two new tech sections. Sadly I did a low speed low side and broke my shifter. Limped it into Timmins and hoping to source one locally in the morning.

Vroom vroom

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #2333
commando ricard
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Nice pics Jef and Marc, and beautefull ride. Hope to meet you again on the trails.

Yes, it's hard for tires. I had on the Mercedes, 4 Muds news (0 km), when I'm return at home, i've checked tires : between 3 and 4 mm used. Now, my tires seems have 1 year.

commando ricard screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:04 PM
commando ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2334
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,746
Bummer Ted. Hope you get fixed up tomorrow.
glad or paths crossed at shining tree today

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #2335
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Bummer Ted. Hope you get fixed up tomorrow.
glad or paths crossed at shining tree today

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2

Likewise

I'll figure something out in the morning, tonight is cold drinks, warm food, a real bed and a bag of ice for the knee. Motel 8 has never looked so good

Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #2336
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
TCAT Route

Hope you have a great ride and enjoy your exploring. Looking forward to the results and changes on the Timmins to Wawa section. I still may add it to Septembers ride.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #2337
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 942
ride report

I am sure Ted is writing up a storm about the ride report to Wawa.
Just want to thank the fine people who I rode with making the trip so great. To Gord for letting us crash at his cabin for the nigh and putting the sauna on for us, hot stuff.
Kinda felt like a fool having to rush home that nigh only to find I was a day early . Could have rode that last part of the trail, feel like a fool.
Great time and cant wait to ride more of it because that section was great.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #2338
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I am sure Ted is writing up a storm about the ride report to Wawa.
Just want to thank the fine people who I rode with making the trip so great. To Gord for letting us crash at his cabin for the nigh and putting the sauna on for us, hot stuff.
Kinda felt like a fool having to rush home that nigh only to find I was a day early . Could have rode that last part of the trail, feel like a fool.
Great time and cant wait to ride more of it because that section was great.
Agreed Step, a great trip and some amazing trails and roads added to the route. I've only got slow Internet and a bunch of videos and photos to upload before telling the tale of our adventures. Coming soon

Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #2339
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 208
Awesome, I can't wait.
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #2340
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

About a week or so ago I left my hometown near Ottawa, Ontario and headed north to ride a section of the TCAT.

Last year Scott got a hold of me on this forum and indicated he wanted to do a trip and volunteered himself to pre ride a part of the proposed route. He had a great a trip but missed a few sections due to a lack of daylight hours. When Scott indicated to me that he was heading back to try it again I asked if he would mind if I joined him. He seemed glad to have the company so we exchanged a bunch of emails, made our plans and whatnot.

The plan was to ride the TCAT from the city of Sudbury, Ontario to the town of Wawa, Ontario. We had planned for three days to do this section of the route which is very conservative but as time keeps teaching me a proposed route doesnt always mean a doable route so the extra time should have allowed for some explorations if needed. There was also two hydro line trails I was hoping to explore along the way to add as optional "tech sections". Last year I had driven part of the route in my truck but had turned back on these "tech sections" as they got a bit narrow and muddy for the truck.

During the planning phase a fellow I know (Step) mentioned that he would also like to come along on the ride as he had that week off of work. I'd met Step a couple fo times at bike events over the last years and was stoked he was coming along. His parents live near where we planned to start our ride and he offered up their house as somewhere to leave our trucks and trailers and camp the first night.

So with my bike loaded in the back of my truck...yes I didn't drive my bike the 500 km of slab to meet...this year I blew the engine in my 950 and parted it out. Some of the funds went into buying a 650...well the 650 has a 3 inch wide seat and my ass is considerably wider than three inches Another big bike is in my future but for now I am quite enjoying a smaller, lighter bike...just not on long days of paved roads.

The drive up was uneventful, some nice scenery along the way. I got to Step's place, setup tent and had a few beers. Scott showed up and did the same and we sat around getting to know each other and going over the plans for the coming days. Step's parents generously invited us in and fed us a great dinner

I had been in touch with another fellow I met through the forums. Sean lives in Sudbury and had decided to join us for a day or two of the route. Sean lives eats and breathes off road motorcycling and knew the hydro line trails I had hoped to ride. Always a bonus to have a local with you while your out exploring Sean dropped by Step's house and we all sat around in the gazebo enjoying a few cold ones and shooting the shit.

Eventually I hit the tent and fell fast asleep. About an hour to two later I woke up and tossed and turned all freaking night (or so it seemed). Maybe just excited about hitting the road the next day or maybe it was the cars that would drive by and light up the inside of my tent every 20 minutes or so.....

Deadly99 screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 07:26 AM