Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,575
There's always the TT road then plane ride to Wabush/LC needed no rail tracks, just a stupid plane ride

Looks like an awesome project, keep up the good work man
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #17
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
So not all day's go as planned

A group of us met at, where else but a Tim Horton's I swear there is something addictive they add to their beans.

A gas fill up before heading out

Some slab to catch up to the route

Re run a section of the route just to see how others feel about it

The backroads in Eastern Ontario are FUN ! Arcol, Hydro Line rd, etc

The ADV salute...or he just doesn't like me Oh wait this is early in the day, he doesn't hate me yet.....it must be the adv salute

Richard's first day of off roading on his 800gs, what a first day ... lol

It always surprises me when your riding on one of these roads and you run across a mini van full of happy little soccer kids with Mom driving and she's all smiles. Yes these are roads, not trails. Ontario is fairly liberal in what they call a road around here

Around this point in the morning we headed over to a snowmobile trail that would push the route further west. A great little trail that went up/down/left/right and I was thinking hells bells baby, this trail will work out fine Then a steep rocky decent that leads into a water crossing with a soft bottom A couple of the fellows indicated that they wouldnt be able to go back up the decent. No worries as the water was low and we all made it through with no issues. BUT this trail would have to get removed from the route. After some serious rain or a typical spring thaw, the water crossing with the muddy bottom and rocks and logs in it just doesn't fit the bill, too bad, we 'll have to re route another day.

On we go

Now keep in mind that we have spent alot of time researching these trails before we go. Paper maps, internet sat maps, locals input, etc. Well the route was GOING TO follow this snowmobile trail and bring us across a big void in the map. Looked great from all the research we did. After finding the trail it had private No Tresspassing signs on it. Bummer, but we figured it's probably only one section of the trail across some famers fields and we should be able to find a go around to catch up to the trail a bit further on. A bit further on and we come to an atv trail climbing up over the bank. Logic suggested that this trail would cut across to the main trail and this is what local's must use to get a round the closed section. WRONG

100 feet into the trail and we came to this

Full of rocks, tree's and VERY slick mud. Seems like everyone wanted to turn around...but me. I now apologize formally to all who were involved. Bad call, big time ! So off I go, get stuck, bury the bike and end up dragging it across the last few feet (not easy with a 500 lb bike). Look back and see faces like this

That's the look of "this is a bad idea".

Looking up at the trail, yes that is the trail

Oh before I forget, a local on an atv came up on us and promptly turned around. This should have been a BIG clue. Well I was born stubborn and kept thinking ya but the trail will get better just around the bend, this is still doable WRONG !

What followed was around 2 hours to cover 3km's of trail. The black earth was some of the slickest ground I've ever ridden a bike on. On level ground you would be stuck, tire just spinning away, get a buddy to push type of terrain. Add to the that the fact that I don't think this trail had been ridden in YEARS. How many tree's were across the trail? Dozens. Did I bring my saw? Nope How many bikes tipped over? Every damn one of us. Were the bugs bad? CRAZY bad (and I normally don't complain about bugs). Was it hot? about 36 degrees celcius with 100 % humidity (think sauna temps) And finally how many people liked me at the end of this trail? ZERO

As stated above I do formally apologize, this section is now known as the trail from hell and will NEVER be ridden again.

After completing this section everyone split up, pissed off and went their seperate ways It was only lunch time and we had a huge day planned, ah well ......it was not too be. I seriously thought I was going to get lynched out there. Lesson learned the hard way but a lesson learned

Do you see the trail? It's there...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 10:39 AM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

A few more pics from "The Trail From Hell"

Do you think me taking pictures during this fiascal made things any better

Heat stroke, check
Piss off buddies, check
Add more to the route, negative

Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
tarzan30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Subscribed!

Good work !

I am sure i will be helping out with this one. By helping out i mean both of us coming to a point and you give me the "you first, i just did the last one" and off i will go!

I know some of the route you have in there and it is by far some of the best roads/trail i have ridden.

Keep up the good work and keep us all in the loop with the pics and updates.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Wow... just found this thread and I have to say I'm impressed with the magnitude of such an undertaking.

I just wanted to say kudos for taking the plunge and developing something that will certainly rank right up there with the TAT to the south.

I also wanted to offer any assistance you might need - in a digital sense. You mentioned that you weren't GPS 'experts' and thats why you're opting for a road book. I agree that having a road book will provide the end user a little more sense of adventure and force them to pay more attention to their surroundings instead of the green line on a little gadget strapped to their handlebars. That being said, if there's any combining of data or conversion of gpx files or any other GPS format, I'm fairly certain I can help you out.

As my nick implies, I'm a GIS technician by trade. I worked for over 10 years at a mapping company serving the various resource sectors in BC, and I'm now working for a large engineering consulting firm with offices from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS. I'm the 'data processing lackey' these days. I do a lot of work processing data from GPS survey units accurate down to 0.02m and combining that with more conventional survey data which is accurate to a fraction of a millimeter, so helping out with data thats accurate to +/- 5m is really no ordeal at all. If you need a hand with anything at all, just drop me a PM.

The brief glimpse of what you're mapping out so far looks amazing... can't wait til you start out west in BC! Keep up the good work. Cheers!

~GIS
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
advkurt
latecomer

Oddometer: 34
Another road

In the White Lake area you should try the California Trail. Starts near Middleville, comes out near Cedar Cove on White Lake.
advkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood
Wow... just found this thread and I have to say I'm impressed with the magnitude of such an undertaking.

I just wanted to say kudos for taking the plunge and developing something that will certainly rank right up there with the TAT to the south.

I also wanted to offer any assistance you might need - in a digital sense. You mentioned that you weren't GPS 'experts' and thats why you're opting for a road book. I agree that having a road book will provide the end user a little more sense of adventure and force them to pay more attention to their surroundings instead of the green line on a little gadget strapped to their handlebars. That being said, if there's any combining of data or conversion of gpx files or any other GPS format, I'm fairly certain I can help you out.

As my nick implies, I'm a GIS technician by trade. I worked for over 10 years at a mapping company serving the various resource sectors in BC, and I'm now working for a large engineering consulting firm with offices from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS. I'm the 'data processing lackey' these days. I do a lot of work processing data from GPS survey units accurate down to 0.02m and combining that with more conventional survey data which is accurate to a fraction of a millimeter, so helping out with data thats accurate to +/- 5m is really no ordeal at all. If you need a hand with anything at all, just drop me a PM.

The brief glimpse of what you're mapping out so far looks amazing... can't wait til you start out west in BC! Keep up the good work. Cheers!

~GIS

Thanks for the words of encouragment. Thanks also for the offer....I'll definetly be in touch :)

I'm looking forward to BC as well, in a BIG way. I lived in the Bow Valley, Kootenay's and Squamish area's for about 10 years during my twenties. Spent years guiding on rivers and snowmobile guiding up in the hills and have a couple of fun valley's and mounain passes in mind :). But that's a few years away, for now I'm quite excited to explore the Rock, Quebec, Northern Ontario and Labrador :)

Deadly99 screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 04:24 PM
Old 06-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by advkurt
In the White Lake area you should try the California Trail. Starts near Middleville, comes out near Cedar Cove on White Lake.

Hi Kurt, I know that area fairly well. A few years back I lived in Clayton Lake for about 3 years. Sadly that road and it's connecting hydro line trails didn't fit into the route, great terrain but it's a big country and we're trying to keep the route somewhat directional (East to West).

The route has now been completed from Quebec through Lanark county and we're now concentrating on moving west through the rest of south eastern Ontario before heading north.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. A large chunk of this is being done based on input from locals. I look forward to riding with a lot of them over the next couple of years as we make our way across the country.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,587
God bless you crazy Canuck FF's. Sam Correro gave us what we need to successfully tackle the TAT, and now you knuckleheads give us the equivalent TCT. Bloody brilliant!

And hurry the frak up so I can buy yer guidebook.

Totally subscribed.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
That's an awesome undertaking! Looks like you are hitting some great roads, and a few others. Good luck, can't wait to see the finished product.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685

I applaud you on your effort so far. From experience I can tell you that going over the top of Lake Nipigon is difficult to say the least. A bunch of us from Thunder Bay have tried 3 times via 2 different routes and been successful once. Different maps show roads but most have long since grown in or had there bridges removed or washed out. We learned of a new route last summer and tried but gave up due to the cold, being soaked and to much water and way to many bugs .

The spots that are hard to get over are around 350 km north west of Thunder Bay. You're a long way from help if someone gets hurt.

That being said we intend to try again this summer if the weather will co-operate

You might consider the old CN rail line from Geraldton to Thunder Bay and than up to Sioux Lookout. Some really scenic stretches and from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout you can cruise at 100+ kph if you want.

Good luck
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Hey Ted,

That Trail From Hell wasn't so bad!

I only fell over 7 or 8 times, got heat stroke, almost had a heart attack and between all that plotted 3 or 4 ways to kill you slowly and painfully

Ride on Brother, can't wait to get the rest done
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #28
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME

I applaud you on your effort so far. From experience I can tell you that going over the top of Lake Nipigon is difficult to say the least. A bunch of us from Thunder Bay have tried 3 times via 2 different routes and been successful once. Different maps show roads but most have long since grown in or had there bridges removed or washed out. We learned of a new route last summer and tried but gave up due to the cold, being soaked and to much water and way to many bugs .

The spots that are hard to get over are around 350 km north west of Thunder Bay. You're a long way from help if someone gets hurt.

That being said we intend to try again this summer if the weather will co-operate

You might consider the old CN rail line from Geraldton to Thunder Bay and than up to Sioux Lookout. Some really scenic stretches and from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout you can cruise at 100+ kph if you want.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip about the rail line, looks perfect :). A group of us will be heading your way later this season to tackle the north route of Lake Nippigon, maybe our paths will cross......early September probably...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #29
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma

And hurry the frak up so I can buy yer guidebook.
Nah you got it all wrong. The route will be distributed for free. Doing this because we enjoy it and we feel that we can produce a world class route for others to enjoy.

Want me to guess at a length? Eastern half looks like it'll be approximately 7000 to 8000 km's long.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #30
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Good looking rail line!