HAPPY CANADA DAY !!

redpillar
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #62
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,562
Interesting idea's :)

And yes a Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canucks !

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #63
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
The thing about pavement is that it tends to grow as the years pass by.

It seems like another section of the TAT here in the states loses the battle
every year.

I've always thought a TCT trail would be something great - much more
wilderness and dirt you can keep under your tires from coast to coast. To me
that's where the fun is!

Congratulations and best of luck to make this a reality!!!
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #64
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Cool, I like this idea
The only problem I could see with the roadbook style would be the rate at which the roads grow over in the spring! Turnoffs disappear quickly!
Camping spots would be easy to find on this route
Is the northern part of the prairies interesting? Southern Saskatchewan is georgeous, but every scrap of land is claimed.

Happy Canuck day, eh!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #65
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I don't post up too much, but your pictures so far look like an epic ride. Just some input since you asked.

Personally, I would probably use GPS to do the ride.

Tarmac isn't too bad a thing if its gets you into interesting little towns and sights. One of the things I enjoy is meeting/taking to natives. For some reason, I've found most people very receptive to motorcyclists (esp when you're from far away). Just helps with "experiencing" the people and land. Keep in mind, some people will try to do the whole thing at once. After a few grueling days, road is not so bad. I'm not talking 600mi days here, but surely a 60-70mi interesting backroad stretch through quaint towns and historical sites would be welcomed at times. Also helps with gas stops.

I will end it with its YOUR route. Do what YOU want to do. I think its almost unthinkable, so stay focused. Just your will so far has me wanting to send you money to help with travel costs. While I can't help you with the route (see my location), I will say that by the time you're finished, I'll be due for a good soul cleansing, and this looks to be just the ticket!
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #66
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
great idea

cant wait to be able to ride this route. seems like an excellent way to cross canada. pics look great. the riding looks even better. i think just keep it dirt as much as possible, pavement when necessary. people can always use a gps to get to other places of interest. just keep the riding entertaining.
road books are good. maybe just throw in an occasional gps coordinate so a guy could know hes on the right track. thanks for the efforts of putting this one together ,seriously . have always wanted to go all the way across canada and up to alaska. now im super excited to cross on your route. keep up the great works.

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #67
MIRider99
old butt new

Oddometer: 42
Name: beaver is interesting. i think someone mentioned labrador or something on that line. Suppose this is more of a planed route than a trail. canuck coast to coast (that would be the CCC). CanAm route, TransCan,...

Pavement is ok, east to west travel is important, avoiding pavement just to hit dirt only to snake across the hwy is silly, run the hwy, make time. back roads are fun to run too.

as for GPS, i think important way points are key confidence markers. lets you know you are on the right road or at the right corner. also being able to orient an upcoming point can be important to finding ones way back on track if lost.

2 cents, tx

07 950SE
05 CRF450
06 YZ250F
03 YZ125
96 VN800, VROC Member #99
Ironbutt-SaddleSore, BunBurner, & BunBurner Gold
MIRider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #68
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Hmmm,
Roof of canada trail, or roof of america's trail, or
canada's reverse economy trail .....just brainstorming
Old 07-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #69
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

A few great name idea's ! Keep them coming. As it's not just myself planning-riding-mapping this trail the decision is not mine alone but I'll take all the idea's and run them by the group.

Some very good suggestions about roadbook versus gps routes. Based on your input and discussions we've had we think that it should be a mix of Gps routes (not tracks) for the more road orientated days and roadbook for the offroad days. On the roadbook days we'll include a few waypoints in case you get offtrack, the waypoint will indicate which tulip on the roadbook it corrisponds to.

When you download the files it will come with a word document. The word doc will have the route broken down into logical days. Each day will have a description of what to expect (terrain wise, sites to see, lodging, laundry, gas locations, etc). Having this printed off or on your laptop should make for some good info about what to expect for the next day. I enjoy historical stuff so I'll try to add in some relevant info about the area you'll be riding through.

A few good trips are planned and it would appear as if Newfoundland, Labrador and all or most of Ontario will be completed this season. That only leaves Quebec for next season. I believe it's a realisic goal of having the eastern half completed by next fall and ready for distribution that winter.

Thanks again for your input !

Old 07-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #70
stinkyfishy
Complete n00b

Oddometer: 34
Thumb

How about the 4C route (Canadian Coast to Coast to Coast) assuming you will be routing up to the arctic at some point. :)

I like your original premise which was a guy on a adventure tourer (not a dirt bike with bags) which means the highly technical stuff is a no-no.

But if the route could be mostly gravel or back roads (that includes paved but twisty) then great!

I think it would be important to schedule the 4C to swing though a town/city every few hundred kms...not just for gas but to also allow riders the option to shuttle past certain sections of the trail by joining up to highway. Obviously you guys wouldn't need to map those spots :)

That would be the best of both worlds IMHO.

Keep up the great work!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #71
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfishy
How about the 4C route (Canadian Coast to Coast to Coast) assuming you will be routing up to the arctic at some point. :)

I like your original premise which was a guy on a adventure tourer (not a dirt bike with bags) which means the highly technical stuff is a no-no.

But if the route could be mostly gravel or back roads (that includes paved but twisty) then great!

I think it would be important to schedule the 4C to swing though a town/city every few hundred kms...not just for gas but to also allow riders the option to shuttle past certain sections of the trail by joining up to highway. Obviously you guys wouldn't need to map those spots :)

That would be the best of both worlds IMHO.

Keep up the great work!!!

Some good suggestions. We're hoping that a travel enduro bike (klr, ktm adv, bmw gs, etc) will be completely able to ride this route. My guess at this point is a breakdown of something along these lines
50 % gravel roads
20 % double track gravel roads
15 % rail trails
10 % "off roading"
5 % pavement

The offroading should be suitable albeit challenging for a bigger bike ;). Heck it wouldn't be much fun without a bit of adventure.

Is a rail trail offroading ? Sure I suppose, although they usually don't have steep hills, sharp corners, etc but they often have old bridges, loose rocky or sandy surfaces, pot holes, water, etc

How hard is the offroading ? Nothing crazy, we aren't interested in making this a motocross route. NO single track, no water crossing deeper than front wheel (of course this is hard to judge but we're doing our best to make this realistic, entire sections are being omitted because of one quesionable water crossing :( ). A lot of this could be described as atv type trails.

What's a double track gravel road ? A road open to the public, non paved and only wide enough for one car. Surfaces are often close to offroading in terrain. These types of roads are perfect and if they were available across the entire country I'd be tempted to make an entire route out of them. But these roads are unique to certainly areas so we trying our best to include as many of them as possible.

What's a gravel road ? Big, wide and dusty :). The surface can be challenging when freshly graded but other than that they are fairly straight forwad terrain wise. The Trans Labrador Highway will be included in the route as well as several long gravel roads through northern Ontario.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #72
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Holy Crap. I like this one. I will be following along diligently. Calling El Birdo- you'll want to pay attention to this one too...

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #73
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Maybe you could throw in a turn or two across the prairies!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #74
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Love the idea, i'd be more than happy to help out, setting up the route, personally i think using a roadbook would be preverable in doing this,
for safety and more accurate than a gps, if there's somewhat of a challenge coming up, at least the lesser experienced rider can prepare for whats coming (adjust suspension or lower tire pressure), or tighten up the bugeee cords, and maybe have the rolls picked up at certain points of the trail, and turn in as well, for safety-reasons.....
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #75
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
This could be huge

Not only will many of our American friends ride the 'Beaver Trail' (CCT if beaver is not acceptable) but we should be able to entice many AdvRiders from Europe and the rest of the world.

Only a few can ride Dakar but this trail could be another Adv destination like Tierra del Fuego.

Keep up the excellent work.

Will you be publishing sections of the trail as you finish them? Or do we have to wait for the completed work?

Carl