Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #76
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadCruiser
Not only will many of our American friends ride the 'Beaver Trail' (CCT if beaver is not acceptable) but we should be able to entice many AdvRiders from Europe and the rest of the world.

Only a few can ride Dakar but this trail could be another Adv destination like Tierra del Fuego.

Keep up the excellent work.

Will you be publishing sections of the trail as you finish them? Or do we have to wait for the completed work?

Carl

Thanks for the encouraging words Karl.
We intend to wait until the eastern half is complete before making it available. It's being designed as a long tour and not a group of short sections. A dash of offroading followed by a couple of days of gravel roads to make some mileage kind of approach. It's a WIDE country so there needs to be days where getting some miles done is required. We hope when this half is done that it will be a 20-30 day ride depending on the speeds folks ride at, weather and how many flowers they stop to smell along the way.
Of course I realize that people will choose to just ride a section or province, but we're trying our best to look at the route from a high level and to make it realistic to finish. The body and bike can only take so many days of bouncing around before they both want a break and just cruise for a few days.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #77
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar
Maybe you could throw in a turn or two across the prairies!!
Umm yeah...
Way out West-1230084

There's a few curves and hilly bits at the very south though. Big Muddy Valley, Frenchman Valley etc.
Way out West-0343

That's why I was asking about the northern prairies, remote is usually better, what's interesting up there? :

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #78
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

The prairies are a concern, luckily I'm a ways off on having to adress it :). Other than sprinting across it a few times I don't know a lot about Manitoba - Sask. I see in some folks signature lines that there are inmates from those provinces here, perhaps they'll help out when the time comes with some suggestions. A quick glance shows a lot of north-south roads but not many east west roads in the northern sections of those provinces. I'd be content with some gravel blasts on the southern end of the provinces as well, after all the prairies do make up a large chunk of the country and it might be nice to see all the different geographical area's Canada has while on the route.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #79
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antontrax
Umm yeah...
Way out West-1230084

That's a classic gps shot, you'd assume you were downtown somewhere in a well planned out city, not out in the middle of nowhere :)

Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #80
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
I really liked the prairies, though not for the roads. There's plenty of gravel though. I liked seeing herds of prong-horn antelope and all kinds of birds of prey.
Lots of cool old buildings and well preserved cars from the 1940's and earlier.

For prairie ideas check out Lornce's Across Canada on a '71 R50/5

And I can dig up some GPS tracks from the prairie portion of my trip

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #81
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Talking Woohoo !!!

I'm in

+1 for the "Beaver Trail" or Beaver Cross Canada Trail or Beaver DS Trail .....whatever it is I love the Beav.....and the DS and the Canada.

Can't wait till you come out west lots of stuff to see in Alberta.

Paved roads might be necessary to get into towns for gas/maintenance/repairs......

Keep it alive . SWEET. SWEET. SWEET.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #82
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Prairies

Pincher Creek area of Alberta is pretty darn nice and fairly historical as well. Waterton Lakes National park is spectacular, and an obvious stopping point for someone traveling through that way. There are a myriad of logging and mining roads running east through B.C. from there as well.
I don't know much about east of Pincher Creek though.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #83
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
I'm in

+1 for the "Beaver Trail" or Beaver Cross Canada Trail or Beaver DS Trail .....whatever it is I love the Beav.....and the DS and the Canada.

Can't wait till you come out west lots of stuff to see in Alberta.

Paved roads might be necessary to get into towns for gas/maintenance/repairs......

Keep it alive . SWEET. SWEET. SWEET.

The Beaver Trail .......hmmmm.

No worries on keeping it alive, we're commited to it.

Paved roads will be used, it would be next to impossible not to. Almost every town is paved, even the very remote one's. As some one else mentioned it would be a annoying, I think, to be criss crossing slab just for the sake of trying to stay on gravel. They are dual sport bikes after all so some pavement will be utilized, we're just trying to limit the amount of it as there a few areas where it will have to be used as there are no other choices (a few Northern locations, crossing towns, getting to a ferry, linking fun trails and back roads, etc).

Two and half weeks until a group of us head out to ride Labrador and NFLD for a few weeks. Not much happenning between now and then riding wise for me. NFLD looks very promising, lot's of old rail beds to explore. The main one across the middle (T'Rail) is almost 900 km's long and a few of the others we plan to ride look great as well :)

The Beaver Trail eh. :)

Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #84
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,572
Very, very cool.

Another thought would be organizing the trail or maps or waypoints into say, 1 week travel blocks. That would give users an idea of how long things should be taking and would maybe give someone realistic expectations of what could be accomplished during a typical vacation.

Another advantage to having the route available with GPS formatting would be the ease that others could add trail, replace trail that gets paved or provide go-arounds for bridge outages or logging road changes.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I would also think that if you do get around to publishing a road book or roll chart, that you might look to the chambers of commerce or tourism boards to help with funding. Once this is done, it could breathe new life into some smaller towns.

Cool, cool, cool.

Tom B
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #85
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,715
What a great project, and a very entertaining story.

That looks like a friendly dragonfly chomping mosquitoes for you.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #86
Dancamp

Oddometer: n/a
I'm just coming back from Radisson in Northern Québec. There is a road at the 274 km on the Trans Taïga that leads to Chibougamau. This road is 400 km of pure gravel. You cross some of the big rivers like the Rupert and the Eastmain.

One of the challenge will be refueling. The map that you show crosses many south-north roads that don't have any refueling point that far north. 400 or 500 km of autonomy seems to be the minimum at least in Quebec.

If you need any informations or help about the Quebec territory, just le me know. I and some friends pretty well know the territory.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #87
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,582
this is a great RR - y'all be sure to rate the thread - this is at least a 4 star thread IMHO!
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #88
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,757
We did the Route Du Nord last fall when we went up to Radisson, out to James Bay and then east down the Trans Tiaga to the very end.

Here's our ride report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=trans+Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancamp
I'm just coming back from Radisson in Northern Québec. There is a road at the 274 km on the Trans Taïga that leads to Chibougamau. This road is 400 km of pure gravel. You cross some of the big rivers like the Rupert and the Eastmain.

One of the challenge will be refueling. The map that you show crosses many south-north roads that don't have any refueling point that far north. 400 or 500 km of autonomy seems to be the minimum at least in Quebec.

If you need any informations or help about the Quebec territory, just le me know. I and some friends pretty well know the territory.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #89
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852

Wish I could string together more than a few hours at a time to go explorin' with you guys! Keep uyp the great work!!!
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #90
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
Very, very cool.

Another thought would be organizing the trail or maps or waypoints into say, 1 week travel blocks. That would give users an idea of how long things should be taking and would maybe give someone realistic expectations of what could be accomplished during a typical vacation.

Another advantage to having the route available with GPS formatting would be the ease that others could add trail, replace trail that gets paved or provide go-arounds for bridge outages or logging road changes.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I would also think that if you do get around to publishing a road book or roll chart, that you might look to the chambers of commerce or tourism boards to help with funding. Once this is done, it could breathe new life into some smaller towns.

Cool, cool, cool.

Tom B

Some good idea's thanks Tom.
When we publish it, our intent is to have a series of files for download or that we bundle and email out.

Roadbook files that you can print out yourself and either tape them together for a roadbook or have someone print them for you on a continous roll.

A google earth file that will enable you to see the entire route and zoom in to see specific locations. This can be used fairly easily to copy over to a paper map if you choose.

Some gpx files for the days or sections that we choose not to roadbook (the more easily navagated days).

A word document broken down into a day by day (or section depending on terrain) describing a "what to expect", etc. It's hard to breakdown into days as people's riding time, speed they ride, stops, etc all vary.

Based on receiving the above informaion we feel the route should be navigated without problems. Going over the provided information would also enable you to just pick a section based on terrain and location for a "typical week or two" vacation. Maybe folks will break it down and complete the route in "chunks", who knows. We hope people will ride the entire route, this is the intent and will let you see Canada from coast to coast. The people and the landscapes change dramatically as you cross the country.

As the route will be free there should be no reason not to have the most recent "version" of the route before heading off on your trip. We hope to receive input from those of you who ride the route as to any changes needed or sections that get blocked,paved, watered out, etc so we can make changes to the files we distribute. Most of the route takes public roads so we don't anticipate any changes, the rail trails have been there for many years and unless bikes loose their access rights the route should be pretty stable. We're doing our best to keep the route from utilizing roads-areas that are subjectable to road-trail closures. This seems to be an issue in some area's with logging and mining companies who decommision a road once they are done with it or who end up "owning" or building the road and restrict access to it with gates, etc
We're steering clear of these area's, sometimes at the expense of some great riding, for the simple reason that we don't want to be continually changing the route.