piratexpress1369a
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Heya folks,

Here's what Deadly and I have worked out for the logo and the printed guidebook

Disclaimer: It ain't finished yet!
This is just a rough draft of what the guidebook will be like. I've misappropriated some photos from this thread for the design, permission will be gained and credit given for the final document.

There are still many tweaks to make on the design, I'll be working those out with Deadly99 as the content is closer to being finalized. I've designed the document so that it will be easy for some nutcase to plug-in the heaps and heaps of photos, text and maps that will be part of the final guide

Each chapter/section will be colour-coded for easy reference, and I'll try to keep the text a reasonable size for legibility while sitting 'round the campfire intoxicated

now that is cool ,right on!!!!
piratexpress1369a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #932
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
just thought I'd point out that it's Taiga, not Tiaga.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #933
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
The guidbook looks very nice and is an excellent idea. It will be good for Canada-wide tourism and I'm sure there must be some government program that you can apply to for funding of the production cost of the book. Heck, if you talk to the right people in different regions there might be funding available for signage, trail and bridge maintenance etc. To get any funding you'll have to sell the tourism angle because every region craves for more tourists, especially international ones with pockets full of foriegn money. If I knew the route was coming near my town I would be asking our Economic Developement Committee what we could do to support this initiative.

How about advertising in the guidebook? Many motels, campgrounds, restaurants etc. along the route would want to buy ad space in such a publication. Some of the places that cater to snowmobilers in the winter would welcome adventure riders in the summer.

The Cross Canada Route is a formidable endeavour and I applaude your initiative, but the developement cost of the route shouldn't come out of your own pockets. So far your business plan sucks. You have already concieved of the idea and put a lot of time and effort and money into its implimentation, but you should definitely look at funding sources for this.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #934
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,466
Thansk for the advice Nofate...I've started to look into funding but its a lesson in pain so far. Government does not make it easy to apply for grants, etc In order for any grants for the guidebook you need to be a previously published writer. Tourism grants are even more of a pain in the arse as they want proven stats, etc Havent given up but it looks like a VERY time consuming project unto itslef to make heads or tails of the thousands of government web sites.

If anyone has any direct experience with this sort of stuff please shoot me an email.

On a side note the route gets darned close to Chapleau but doesnt go through town. While scouting the route there last year I had a bad taste left in my mouth of your home town (dont take it personally). We checked into the hotel and are informed the restaurant is open until ten (it was 9:45). We zip over and walk into the pub/restaurant which is packed and looking like a fun time. The person working says they are closed, I point out its not ten yet (politely I might add) and she shrugs and says sorry. Alright no food how about a beer? "No sir we are closed" she says rudely. Now there are about 20-30 people all sitting around drinking and eating. Anywhere else in town open? "No". Ah come on we just did a 14 hour day on the road to get here..."sir you'll have to leave now". A bunch of locals are now laughing at us and not being shy about it. Get our arses whooped but get in a few good sucker punches or retire with our heads held low?

Back to the hotel room, crack the emergency bottle of whiskey and the package of emergency beef jerky. Chapleau Ontario

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #935
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
Sorry for the bad experience you had in that Chapleau restaurant. I think I know which one you mean. You should have gone to the Legion for beers and bar food, they are open late. PM me next time you come this way.

To apply for funding you would probably have to do it through a registered business or non-profit organization. Establish one?
I think FedNor/Industry Canada in Ontario would consider such an application and other provinces must have similar programs. You are right about all the paperwork and hoops to jump through. It would be a full time job for someone when doing it on a country wide scale. I hope someone with more experience in this offers some better advise.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #936
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

Instead of the hassle of applying for grants directly from the gov't, how about finding and convincing the right people in each town, municipality and province to pay for advertising. Then let those people figure out how to get the grants. Might work out to be less hoops to jump through for yourself.

If the route came anywhere near Grande Prairie I'd be bugging city council to advertise in this book. The advertising value to any of these places seems obvious to me.
Maybe you can enable the rest of us to pester our local town council's for you.
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #937
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac Mechanic View Post
Instead of the hassle of applying for grants directly from the gov't, how about finding and convincing the right people in each town, municipality and province to pay for advertising.
That seems to be the approach the Destination Highways guys took... looked like it worked pretty good for them too.

Can't wait for this miserable winter to end and start checking out the AB/BC part of this baby.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #938
ChrisP
Knobbed

Oddometer: 63
Understanding both the hassle of trying to get gov't grants, and the hard work it takes to get advertising from local companies/municipalities, I would say that yes it's definitely worthwhile but wow, does it ever take a lot of work. More work than putting together the TCAT thing in the first place.

(I've been heavily involved in some automotive club activities for many years and it's a long slog to get anywhere with advertising $)

I've seen first hand the care and attention Deadly and friends put towards piecing together awesome travel routes and I'd hate for that attention to be distracted by a frustrating marketing exercise

That being said, The Milepost is an interesting model to look at.. it's the defacto guide to heading up to Alaska and is jammed full of great info and a lot of adverti$ing. And you have to pay for it. It's a great resource but also a bit off-putting in a commercial ugly sort of way. You almost treat the stuff included with a bit of cynicism and suspicion..

Now if you had someone like KTM or BMW on board in an understated tasteful approach that'd be pretty slick.. hmm.. I have some contacts at BMW Motorrad I should have a chat with..
Morocco 2010
Deadly99's Trans-Canada off-road route extravaganza
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #939
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I have no idea what Ted's out of pocket so far, but I have to say I really like the grassroots effort and the massive amount of support that had generated through this thread. I think it would be an amazing coup to put it out without the government, marketing, business plan, red tape bullshit. A little advrider salute to the establishment and a kickass product to do it with!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #940
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,466
Cheers to everyone for the input. Without question the whole "capitalism" aspect has crossed my mind and has been discussed. Heck I have even gone so far as to spend several days looking into grants and what not and everytime I do I walk away thinking this seems like a job.

The TCAT project is a hobby and not a business. No business model, no aim for profit. It's been said that my business model sucks. I disagree as there is no business model, its not a business. Hell I'll even go so far as to say its the anti business, we're giving away the product for free I've turned hobbies into businesses in the past and they became work and the enjoyment quickly faded.

Money out of pocket? Not a hell of alot. I'd still be doing these trips as I love to go out and explore on my bike. The new website will cost a few bucks but I'm hoping the guidebook sales may cover most of that. I don't think anyone involved in this project is doing it for the money (well I hope not as there is none ). I suspect they are doing it for the same reason I am, to help promote the industry in Canada and to "show off" their home town riding areas.

On a side note a few people have begun creating other routes in Canada that we'll distribute from the web site. A fun two day route in Quebec seems to be in the working and their looks to be promise of multi day route in the eastern maritime provinces.

After much thought about how the heck anyone can make a route in the Yukon and the NWT (long paved roads with gravel roads being in and out roads) it has been decided to have a chapter on the site dedicated to the two provinces with no routes. Instead detailed information about the gravel roads in that area will be provided. Some folks have offered up some great photo's and tons of information about the "classics". Dempster, Canol, Nahanni, Cambell, etc

When its all said and done I sincerely hope the web site and the routes become useful for people coming to Canada and also for Canadians to go out and explore parts of their country they might not have otherwise seen.

The TCAT travels through my back yard...I look forward to having it as a stopover for folks so we can tip a beer and I can hear about their travels

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #941
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
The TCAT travels through my back yard...I look forward to having it as a stopover for folks so we can tip a beer and I can hear about their travels
Funny it travels through my back yard too lol.

Maybe we could write somewhere that "you are near ADVrider's member "name here" home" so that they could reach us for help or drinks .

just an idea.. My regular work is pretty boring you know
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #942
skisauveur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
... The new website will cost a few bucks but I'm hoping the guidebook sales may cover most of that....
I'd suggest you put up a Paypal tip button on your website, and ask for tips anytime someone wants to download any of the GPS tracks. Bet you'd make enough to pay the web hosting.
skisauveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #943
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisauveur View Post
I'd suggest you put up a Paypal tip button on your website, and ask for tips anytime someone wants to download any of the GPS tracks. Bet you'd make enough to pay the web hosting.
+1

Even if the tracks/guide are just to dream over.
Toronto to Maine and back, Toronto to Boston -The Long way, To the Dragon
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #944
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
I know, it wasnt planned that way it just sort of happened
Which other rally?

+1 on the Tips thing. Call it tips, not donations.

I've been down the government grant thing at work, for energy efficiency improvements. A big program the government advertised the hell out of. I think they spent more on the advertising than they did on the grants (kind of like the Economic Action Plan), because we never got any of it. It took more time and cost more money than they were giving.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #945
piratexpress1369a
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Cheers to everyone for the input. Without question the whole "capitalism" aspect has crossed my mind and has been discussed. Heck I have even gone so far as to spend several days looking into grants and what not and everytime I do I walk away thinking this seems like a job.

The TCAT project is a hobby and not a business. No business model, no aim for profit. It's been said that my business model sucks. I disagree as there is no business model, its not a business. Hell I'll even go so far as to say its the anti business, we're giving away the product for free I've turned hobbies into businesses in the past and they became work and the enjoyment quickly faded.

Money out of pocket? Not a hell of alot. I'd still be doing these trips as I love to go out and explore on my bike. The new website will cost a few bucks but I'm hoping the guidebook sales may cover most of that. I don't think anyone involved in this project is doing it for the money (well I hope not as there is none ). I suspect they are doing it for the same reason I am, to help promote the industry in Canada and to "show off" their home town riding areas.

On a side note a few people have begun creating other routes in Canada that we'll distribute from the web site. A fun two day route in Quebec seems to be in the working and their looks to be promise of multi day route in the eastern maritime provinces.

After much thought about how the heck anyone can make a route in the Yukon and the NWT (long paved roads with gravel roads being in and out roads) it has been decided to have a chapter on the site dedicated to the two provinces with no routes. Instead detailed information about the gravel roads in that area will be provided. Some folks have offered up some great photo's and tons of information about the "classics". Dempster, Canol, Nahanni, Cambell, etc

When its all said and done I sincerely hope the web site and the routes become useful for people coming to Canada and also for Canadians to go out and explore parts of their country they might not have otherwise seen.

for me this is the coolest idea i have heard in a longtime keep the great work up