ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,756
Trans PA Trail

I was directed to post this over here so more PA riders would see this project.

Here is the write up I put in the Rides report section. (we need someone else to ride this route and write it up!)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post13164507

Here is the link to the zip file. I change the contents as the route gets updated.
http://w3wjr.rosenberry.us/tpat.zip

Updates:
6/25/2012
Day 1: File Alt-day1-1.gpx runs from Hancock NY to Wellsboro. It has been test ridden by CannonsvilleRider. He sent me a change because of a bridge out, water too high to cross. I still don't know if a camping area has been found. the goal is to hit Wellsboro for Lunch, then Quiet Oaks in Crossfork for Dinner. I think this needs a stop 1/2 day east of Wellsboro.

Day 2: I added Day2AsPlanned, to replace day2skipped. Day2AsPlanned should work. I will get someone to test it.

Day 3: I routed around a bridge or road closed below Emporium that NorthernTraveler pointed out. I think I know where the problem is, so I routed around it.

Day 5: fixed route to remove Alt loop that went 12 miles to a closed gate :(. This is test ridden all the way to Michaux.

6/28/2012
added SoPaRider's "Best Of Michaux" routes 12, 13 and 15.

10/18/2012
I added Route 12, 13 and 15 that end with F. These are much better track files. (not sure what happened to the ones without the F, they seem more like waypoint files, but I left them up for the time being.

Future: I plan to scan Jeff's actual route sheets into a PDF and include them if space permits.

TowPro screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 06:30 PM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
V8
_

Oddometer: 9,065
A PA section would be great.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by V84x4
A PA section would be great.
The PA section is in the works.
What would be great is a NY section that connects something in NE NY with Hancock NY
Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Oddometer: 107
Talking well, up in my neck of the woods.......

We have the B&O trail that starts from the PA side of Hancock NY and suposidly goes into Scranton PA.

I just rode it in the spring from Hancock to Pleasentmount PA. Some of this trail is gated off by local land owners.
It is a snowmobile trail so you might want to contact them directly.
On this particular track there are no rails or ties and can be easily rode by most street bikes that dont mind getting dirty.
I did note that there were a few "sidings" with Bars / Resturants right on the trail.

All the bridges for these unused tracks across the Delaware river are no more.
I have a friend who is into trains and he knows where all the old lines come and go from. I know there is a split somewhere that can take you toward Binghamton NY, but I havent come across it in Wayne county yet. I saw part of it near Thompson PA but unsure where it went as it looked like it was part of someones yard there.

I do know B&O snomobile club say they have access to trails going from Hancock NY ( on the PA side.) to Scranton PA.
In the spring I was exploring that and the "StockPort road". Of both I had no luck once I got tweenty plus miles from the NY boarder.
Please let me know what you guys find out as these are roads/ trails that I prefer to ride.
johnnygequinunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Johnny. I would be interested in seeing a GPX of what you rode, especially if you were able to mark where the gates are at.

Any "known good Not blacktop" data I can get between Hancock and Wellsboro will help. (again, something my Uly or a Vee can go down )

Are tagged bikes allowed to ride this railroad bed?

Will R
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Just back from talking with a friend about this.

The road / trail I took was from the "Winterdale road" just on the PA side of the river in Hancock.
You go up the road along side the dismembered tressel and it will take you up to Poyntelle. But after that there was a "Mound" in the road / trail. At the time I didn't think it would be a good idea to ride over the mound as I am not one to look for trouble. As I stated in Pleasentmount PA there was a metal gate across the road simular to the ones that the state uses.
As far as the township near where the road starts near Hancock. They look at the rail road bed as a dirt road. For the most part it is two tracks wide with a base of crushed coal. I can easily ride my KLR on it doing 70 mph, until I get closer to homes. The farther you travel from Hancock the more the road goes into disrepair, but still easily ridable even on a street bike.

I will send my buddy a link to here as he knows more as to what rail lines went where and how to access them.
I think the lines up this way were the "O&W" and the "B&O"
A few of these lines are now dirt roads up here with houses on the roads as there haven't been tracks or rails on these beds for many decades.

Well, I hope that I have been some help.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
damascus r.d

i have ridden the rail bed from damascus r.d where the trail bed fades to thorns and access rd for hillbillie hotels (trialer homes) near the n.y border all the way down to carbondale . this rail bed passes the merge from the line that comes from hancock heading south into some rail to trail maintained areas .In fact some co-workers of mine just rode some of this trail this past weekend claiming 170 miles in a weekend . the last time i rode it in 2006 the locals had some no atv signs up.
04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
johnnygequinunk
Adventure Traveler

Waiting on a buddy.

My friend says he has maps of all the north east PA train lines as most of his forefathers worked the lines. ( Between the Scranton/ WilksBare area to the Hancock NY area. )

Once I get a hard copy of one of these maps I will go exploring and seeing if there are any spurs on the line. My buddy said there were none that he knew of in PA. He said, " It is a streight shot from Hancock NY to Carbondale PA.)

Was just on it yesterday (Weds) looking at the township shed/ depot building.

Rode with my buddy in his Trailblazer along the "Tracks"
From Hancock past "BCA" ( Beer Can Ally) to Starlight then headed back to the house.

In all my riding I havent come across a spur that goes into the Damascus area, but anything is possible.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Oddometer: 363
Alright, we are starting to map and explore the Trans PA Trail in ernest. We'll get some Google maps posted for perusal and test riding. Towpro suggests around 150 miles a day, depending on just how much dirt there is, I am figuring on an average of 25-30 mph offroad. These routes should all be GS-Tiger-Strom accessable. We can note "hero" sections as options if you'd like. I will try to mark gated roads if it does not become cumbersome.

The Google Maps should have gas stations and restaurants near the routes listed, as well as local points of interest. For those who don't want to camp every night, information on any local B&Bs or motels within reasonable distance can be added, so chime in. Right now I'm wondering if there is a decent motel in the Belleville PA area?

Right now I'm working on Day 4 of the trip which, as of now, starts at Black Moshannon State Park and ends at Greenwood Furnace for camping.

The 2010 Seven Mts Campout Maphttp://tiny.cc/ickmvqqq1
Wiggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #10
Joebmetro
10 KTM 690E

Oddometer: 1,400
+1 for the motels

LongIslandtormap
Joebmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,382
Takes time sometimes to get a round tuit but I'm Up for reconing any assignments you like.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,380
I just found this thread. I will take a look at what you already have and see if I can add to it.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

I suppose towpro will eventually link the Google Maps in the first post, and maybe GPS info for easy access. I know we need help in the Emporium to Black Moshannon leg, and the Allensville to Michaux leg. Anyone with knowledge chime in.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad
I just found this thread. I will take a look at what you already have and see if I can add to it.
Skyclad, not only are we neighbors, we both ride the great Ulysses!
I live around 340 and 10.

Here is the link to a zip file with the route in it. (at bottom)
We were able to ride Day1, day 2, and day 3 all the way to Emporium.
Now I am seeking help with the rest.

Day 3 as I routed it was going around 150 miles to Black Moshannon State Park.

Day 4 turned out to be around 220. I had cut out a lot of nice roads through Rothrock area to shorten day 4.
So Wiggus and I thought it best to split day 4 into 2 days with around 150 miles each day. Now Wiggus can add back in the good stuff he knows about).
Day 4 now ends at Greenwood Furnace.
Day 5 still ends at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
Since Day 5 is shorter, we will be able to add some of the stone roads in Michaux that I think JaxObssesed has been riding. (maybe Jax can do the Greenwood to Pine Grove Furnace days route?)

As far as Hotels? I know the campground at the end of day 2 and 3 have cabins to rent (with reservations). I never made it to the end of day 3, but it is a state park so not sure about cabins. If someone wants to use Hotels, just google the little towns along the route for hotels.

I did mark Gas on my original route (delorme) but it does not show up in the .gpx files. in my zip file is also a document which list address and phone numbers of gas stops and campgrounds. Gas was never more then around 60 miles apart I think. (but if you skip one, you might be pushing your luck).

I am working on a different connector for Day 1 that gives riders a choice.

a: Riders south bound from New England can come down to Hancock NY and ride my new PA connector, which will connect into the existing TPAT trail somewhere below Wellsboro. (this is what I am working on now).

b: Riders south bound from New England can come down to Hancock NY, then ride the Trans NJ trail, which will connect into my current day 1 (as provided in the zip file) through FrenchTown NJ.

I also have plans to go back to Crossfork and fix where we blew up the route on Day 2 in the Tioga State Forest (the route as ridden is still not bad) And I also hope to add another 150 mile loop in and out of Crossfork (Quiet Oaks Campground) to include stuff like Hyner view, ect.

Here is the link to the zip file
http://w3wjr.rosenberry.us/tpat.zip
Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
Wiggus
Hell's Poser

Check out Day 4 map, towpro.
I've been busy.