User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,387
Triathlon Thread

Wanted to see if this will catch on like the bicycle thread.

I know there are a couple others on here that do tri's. So what have you done? What are you training for?

I have done some local sprints, and one (almost)Olympic.

Currently training for an Olympic on August 1st, an Xterra on August 14th, and a 1/2 Iron (70.3) on August 22nd! Still not sure if I'll survive that one

-5th

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Wanted to see if this will catch on like the bicycle thread.

I know there are a couple others on here that do tri's. So what have you done? What are you training for?

I have done some local sprints, and one (almost)Olympic.

Currently training for an Olympic on August 1st, an Xterra on August 14th, and a 1/2 Iron (70.3) on August 22nd! Still not sure if I'll survive that one

-5th
Hi 5th! Looks like a great schedule!

I'm training for Ironman Miami 70.3, late October. I did a century ride in Lake Tahoe, and now I'm turning my focus to running and swimming. Might do a few sprints in between, mostly to work on speed and transition, but my calendar's pretty much empty right now.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Do people that race in triathlons ever get to see their families??????
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Do people that race in triathlons ever get to see their families??????
Many of them are running to get away from their problems.

I work with a lot of triathletes, and they are all certifiable.

Az
Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
rajflyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
Many of them are running to get away from their problems.

I work with a lot of triathletes, and they are all certifiable.

Az
Thats interesting. I have found that true from what I have seen as well.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Well that took a funny turn....

I can tell you that it seems a LOT of die hard triathletes are a bit looney, and most likely trying to get away from their home life in some way. Myself, not so much. My wife works a ton (resident physician) and I work 4x10hr days. This gives me plenty of time to train. I also do not have kids yet.

That being said, I originally wanted to try and do an Ironman at some point, but after getting into the thick of the training for the 1/2 Iron distance I don't think I ever will. This is about all I can take, and I am looking forward to it being done. Next year....I will most likely just do local Sprint and Olympic distance stuff. It's just as fun with 1/4 the training. Besides, I don't like running all that much

If you really want to go down the "do they ever see their families debate".... There are a lot of "ADVriders" that do nothing but take long trips on the moto, and spend their home time in the garage. Same diff

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Hi 5th! Looks like a great schedule!

I'm training for Ironman Miami 70.3, late October. I did a century ride in Lake Tahoe, and now I'm turning my focus to running and swimming. Might do a few sprints in between, mostly to work on speed and transition, but my calendar's pretty much empty right now.
Good luck! The running kills me....swimming and biking are the fun parts

It has gotten easier since I have lost almost 40lbs in the last 2 years

BLOG
Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
rajflyboy
Banned

Quote:
Well that took a funny turn....

I can tell you that it seems a LOT of die hard triathletes are a bit looney, and most likely trying to get away from their home life in some way. Myself, not so much. My wife works a ton (resident physician) and I work 4x10hr days. This gives me plenty of time to train. I also do not have kids yet.

That being said, I originally wanted to try and do an Ironman at some point, but after getting into the thick of the training for the 1/2 Iron distance I don't think I ever will. This is about all I can take, and I am looking forward to it being done. Next year....I will most likely just do local Sprint and Olympic distance stuff. It's just as fun with 1/4 the training. Besides, I don't like running all that much

If you really want to go down the "do they ever see their families debate".... There are a lot of "ADVriders" that do nothing but take long trips on the moto, and spend their home time in the garage. Same diff

Great Point. Its important to keep good relationships with family. Motorcycles and triathlons aren't everything.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Great Point. Its important to keep good relationships with family. Motorcycles and triathlons aren't everything.
Yes they are!

BLOG
Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
rajflyboy
Banned

Quote:
Yes they are!
I hate getting banned
Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
The Hyvee tri elite womens in Iowa was on NBC this afternoon. I had to do a double take for a moment watching them draft in the bike segment. I forgot that ITU allows that in olympic distance events. I thought the whole race was kind of weird, though. A two-lap swim with a run in between the laps, the bike course was essentially an 8-lap crit, and the run, well the run was a run.

Still cool to watch.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

The ITU stuff is an entirely different race than the traditional long Tri events. They do go really FAST though!

Lance Armstrong has been quoted as saying he will be doing some tri's as soon as 2011. 70.3 and 140.6 distance. He also said he wasn't looking at any of the ITU stuff, because he wouldn't have a good cycling advantage.

That will be cool to see

BLOG
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
heynowref

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
The Hyvee tri elite womens in Iowa was on NBC this afternoon. I had to do a double take for a moment watching them draft in the bike segment. I forgot that ITU allows that in olympic distance events. I thought the whole race was kind of weird, though. A two-lap swim with a run in between the laps, the bike course was essentially an 8-lap crit, and the run, well the run was a run.

Still cool to watch.
That race, while seemingly very well funded just sucked as a triathlon. The drafting is a joke and all the laps are shitty. I understand better for spectators and tv - but just (to me) not in the spirit of triathlon.

""Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - stolen from someone
heynowref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
heynowref

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:

-5th
That's a pretty crazy schedule. That last week before the half better be filled with A LOT of rest.

""Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - stolen from someone
heynowref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
gazoo
Wandering

Oddometer: 357
I did the age-group portion of Hy-Vee, which was shortened due to approaching storms. It was my first tri - transitions and swim sucked, but I was happy with my bike and run times. Thinking of doing another on 8/8 just to give the full Olympic distance another shot, as well as fix some of the things I messed up in transition.

As for the ITU Elites at the even, personally I think the course was horrible. 8 laps on crappy pavement (I live about 2 miles away and drive/run/ride the streets regularly) with u-turns in the middle of a 2-lane road? They had a 1500 yard swim course laid out, so I have no idea why they did two loops with a dash down the beach in between. And the run, as was said - it was a run.

Hy-Vee gets a world class field because it has a huge purse and points for the Olympics. Personally, I think the location its currently held at sucks, both for the age-group and elite athletes as well as spectators. They should move it back to its original location in downtown Des Moines.

Fifthcircle - feel free to give me a yell when you head to/from Pigman. Beer and a meal on me if you've got time to stop in DSM. Looking forward to hearing your race reports.
gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: