Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #16
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,626
My Schedule..... I may skip the Xterra, still undecided.

I am currently nursing a sore IT band, and if it does not improve, these events are going to SUCK big time! I am taking two weeks off from running, one week off from biking, but I will be swimming every day this week, and every other, next week. I like swimming!

I doubt I'll have time to stop in DSM going to and from the Pigman. Wife will be with me, and she has to work on Monday after...so she will be driving us back on Sunday. Thanks for the offer though! Come to PIE FEST!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
eljeffe
R.I.P Jeff

Oddometer: 5,417
Back in February, my boss was in the midst of qualifying for Iron Man 2010, scheduled for October in Kona. We were goofing around one evening, and I said if he qualified for Kona, we'd fly over and cheer him on. Even he wasn't sure he'd be able to qualify, so it seemed like it was a safe bet.

Booked the flights and got the hotel all set. The wife is happy, because I did it all under they guise of our 20th wedding anniversary.

El Jeffe
Allen, TX
'09 R1200GSA
'06 K1200GT
'04 Sprint RS (for sale)
www.k-bikes.com
www.bmwlt.com
www.curvecowboyreunion.com
eljeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB
Many of them are running to get away from their problems.

I work with a lot of triathletes, and they are all certifiable.

Az

this is so true it's scary.

the big thing in the city is Tri being a circuit for anal/OCD singles who (mostly women) at 35+ realize they may not have children, and are too annoying for anyone to marry them - so they spend every ounce of energy, money, time on becoming a "Triathlete"....

I don't think there's any group that spends more useless money except maybe ADV riders with a $30k farkled adventure bike that has never seen a desert or a forest....

Most of them can't put air in the tires of their $5k bike without bringing it to the LBS and explaining to anyone within earshot how they flew to Miami to do a Tri -and there's something wrong with their tires....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
Most of them can't put air in the tires of their $5k bike without bringing it to the LBS and explaining to anyone within earshot how they flew to Miami to do a Tri -and there's something wrong with their tires....

My wife gives me shit once in a while about "leaving her when I find my next, triathlete wife". I just tell her that they are all fucking crazy, and I don't want anything to do with them. Little does she know, I'm not kidding....at all.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,263
Triathlon thread!!

Yes!!!!!!

Why didn't i think of this....?

I've been slacking on my training, but i will agree with the statement about Tri-athletes being loonies...
I lost my best friend to Triathlons, seems like all the poor guy can do is train...

South FLA is great for Triathlons... no crappy lake water around here!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #21
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,940
I dropped out of Tri's last year after St Anthonys in St Pete, FL.
My wife made it clear that if I was going to buy a motorcycle that some other two wheeler had to go. I had to sell my Trek TTX9.9 to pay for my Triumph Tiger.
I hadn't been on a road bike for a year until this past Tuesday; rode 25 miles and I'm starting to feel the urge again.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
ironman length tris tend to consume your time disproportionately. Olympic length tris and sprint tris are completely doable w/ a normal lifestyle.Olympic length is my favorite...

Lance is actually pretty experienced at triathlons. He did Tris before he got serious about cycling.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #23
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
ironman length tris tend to consume your time disproportionately. Olympic length tris and sprint tris are completely doable w/ a normal lifestyle.Olympic length is my favorite...
Oly and Sprint Tri's will be what I am doing after this year. Even training for a 1/2 Iron is just way too much time spent Swim/Bike/Running. I would rather just have fun with my training, stay in shape, and prepare for a race for a few weeks. Besides, I don't really like running all that much. It always seems to end up with some sort of injury. My wife says "you're not built for running"....I think she just called me fat
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
There's one in West Virginia this weekend, I think it's called Scenic Mountain. Half mile swim, 17 mile bike mostly up a mountain, 10k run back down and back up a mountain.
I haven't done one in 6 years. Did a half ironman in 2000. It does take a lot of time to train.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_in_miami
Triathlon thread!!

Yes!!!!!!

Why didn't i think of this....?

I've been slacking on my training, but i will agree with the statement about Tri-athletes being loonies...
I lost my best friend to Triathlons, seems like all the poor guy can do is train...

South FLA is great for Triathlons... no crappy lake water around here!
No but you do have Alligators
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #26
Matt Gent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Alligators stick to fresh water (mostly...), almost all the SoFLA tri's are in salt.

My first year as a triathlete, picked it up after ACL reconstruction slowed down my soccer skills. I did 2-1/2 sprints (got a flat on one, dnf) this spring. Training was going pretty well until my knee started acting up again, heading in for a clean-up arthroscopy in August.

Time-wise I substituted it for soccer training and games so it was about a wash.

I've found a great group of people to train and race with, both men and women, and for the most part is ego-free. We actually put on our own event this weekend, went pretty well for our first time.
Matt Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #27
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gent
Alligators stick to fresh water (mostly...), almost all the SoFLA tri's are in salt.

My first year as a triathlete, picked it up after ACL reconstruction slowed down my soccer skills. I did 2-1/2 sprints (got a flat on one, dnf) this spring. Training was going pretty well until my knee started acting up again, heading in for a clean-up arthroscopy in August.

Time-wise I substituted it for soccer training and games so it was about a wash.

I've found a great group of people to train and race with, both men and women, and for the most part is ego-free. We actually put on our own event this weekend, went pretty well for our first time.
Sounds like a good group. It's tough to find several people to train with that can keep their egos in check.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #28
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,446
I just added a couple of pics in the cycling thread. I don't come to the sports section often cause I'm not into traditional sports and figured that's what would be here. Now ADV will take up even more of my day as I have to look at the tri/run/bike threads.

I completed my first Tri last Sunday (7/18/2010). I am currently scheduled for an xterra sprint on August 7 and another sprint labor day weekend.

I have been wanting to do them for a while but I was plaqued with serious medical issues the last couple of years, preventing me from working out at all for 14 months. Still getting myself back in the saddle.

A little background on me - in 2002/2003 I was about 450+lbs. I decided I wanted to be a cop and started to eat right and work out. When I started I couldn't run 1/10th of a mile without stopping.

Goal 1 - run a mile. Got there
Goal 2 - run 1.5 mi (police entry) without stopping. First time I did it, I was over 18:35min to do 1.5 mi.
Goal 3 - run a 5k race. Did a Turkey Trot in 05.
Goal 4 - pass the police entry. Done. Graduated from the NH police academy in 2007 weighing in at 211lbs.
Goal 5 - Finish a Triathlon. Done 07/18/2010 - without stopping and I didn't even come in last in my age group.... (17 out of 18 but hey, it wasn't 18th )

While working on that I started having medical issues. Seems I lost the weight too fast and my organs stopped working. After several surgies over 2.5 years and removing the right organs, I'm back on track.

I'm now addicted to Sprints.

sorry to jack the thread a little

Goal 6 - Olympic Tris..... This one's gonna take a while to get to.

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
heynowref

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonVT
After several surgies over 2.5 years and removing the right organs, I'm back on track.
You sorta look like me - a big scary triathlete!
Nice job.

Just wanted to confirm, which are the right organs to remove???

""Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - stolen from someone
heynowref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #30
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Some pics from last year's Cancún 70.3:

elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: