Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #46
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonVT

Nice job!!! Mountain biking is just so much different than grinding out smooth miles on the highway. It rocks, but it puts you into anaerobic mode like NOW.

I was going to do an Xterra this coming weekend, but it's just too close to the 70.3, and I don't feel like killing myself. I will do it next year
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #47
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Not doing a tri yet, but getting in shape. I'm not "out of shape", but my endurance and experience are not up to par.

I'm 6' and 180#.

I've started with my weakness. Running. I have a 2.25 mile track. Started walking with the wife. 35 min. Then we started trotting/walking. 30 min. This morning I ran almost the entire track with a few very short walk periods. 22:50. That's almost a 10 min. mile. After being able to do the 2.25 in 20:00 or less for five days straight I'll start adding distance. I can add a .6 mile track pretty easy then I can add another .5 miles by totally changing my track and going another route.

I'm going to make me a swim harness. I have access to a pool next door. Running in the AM then coming home to swim and cool down is nice, but I might as well extend my work out at the same time.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #48
gazoo
Wandering

Oddometer: 363
Bumpity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Thanks! Pigman is going to be a totally different strategy....slow and steady. I went pretty hard on the swim and bike at the Omaha Tri. Gotta slow that down if I'm gonna ride 56mi and "run" 13.....
Well, besides damn hot - how wazzit???
gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #49
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazoo
Well, besides damn hot - how wazzit???
Crap...I was hoping no one would notice....

I didn't go

My tri buddy had some money issues and I am still fighting with my IT band. So we decided to skip it. I am a little bummed that I sorta wussed out, but on the other hand, I'm cool with not doing a race that I was not ready for.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 AM   #50
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,446
I need everyone to give a giant collective exhale east on thursday/friday to push this fuckin hurricane out to sea so my tri on sat doesn't get cancelled

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #51
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonVT
Here's another one to think about when you need some motivation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqe77-Am3w

And the backstory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #52
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
can a 49 year old guy with no experience and not in particularly good shape complete an Ironman competition? It seems like an impossible goal to set for oneself, yet I am still intrigued by the idea. That would be so cool, doing any one of the events especially the marathon in the alloted time seems undo able for me at this point. But hey what do I know...............
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #53
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Tea
can a 49 year old guy with no experience and not in particularly good shape complete an Ironman competition? It seems like an impossible goal to set for oneself, yet I am still intrigued by the idea. That would be so cool, doing any one of the events especially the marathon in the alloted time seems undo able for me at this point. But hey what do I know...............
Absolutely! Start with a "sprint" distance which is typically 500-800 yd swim, 12-18mile bike, and 5k (3.2 miles) run. As you get into it you can try further distances. The 70.3 (half an Ironman distance) Tri's are becoming very popular because the "average" person can train for them without sacrificing your family and all of your spare time training like the Ironman distance seems to require.

The triathlon community is very friendly at the beginners level and very supportive. You will see people side-stroking the entire swim distance, riding K-mart bicycles, and running in cheap shoes. So wherever you happen to be fitness wise, just jump in and try it. There are lots of websites with info on getting started. Here's one:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Go for it!
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #54
monkeyfez
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,000
I gotta post it somewhere and this seems as good a spot as any. One of my good friends and co-workers, Greg Brown, is going to KONA! He's worked his ass off for two years to get there. We're all proud as hell of him.

Go team Brown!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #55
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Some pics from last year's Cancún 70.3:

I've driven that road to Chichen Itza.

That wasn't so bad... it was the getting back thru Cancun after dark that was skeery!

M
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #56
fifthcircle OP
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Tea
I totally agree with what Makalu said

If you want a realistic timeline, and started training now, you could be doing sprint and olympic distance tri's next year easily. Then if you wanted, you could do a 1/2 Iron at the end of next year or start of 2012 with an Ironman at the end of 2012.

Be forewarned, training for 1/2 to full distance Ironman will take up a LOT of your time. You will have to be really dedicated to the goal. Lot's of bike riding alone just to get the hrs/miles in.

www.beginnertriathlete.com is a superb resource! I have been on there for several years now (even though I have slacked off on logging my workouts lately...)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #57
carburated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Triathlete here! I started last year, I've now done 6 in total. 5 sprints and one Olympic length. Fun stuff, don't think I'll be going longer anytime soon, I don't have time for IM or even 1/2 IM training. Right now, I basically put in one hour/day during the week, and a long bike either Friday or during the weekend. I run 4x/week, each is 60 minutes (which is ~6 miles for me at my newbie running pace) so I don't really do a long run at all.

fwiw, I started off the couch last year with zero running experience, hadn't swam since water skiing as a kid, and only hadn't biked since college. Took swim lessons all summer, and am still rapidly improving in all three diciplines.

I find it extremely fun, and it has been nothing but a total positive for my family. In fact, my 8yo daughter has now done a few kids tri's, and my wife even did one this summer! Cool stuff.

Xterra's are my personal favorite (I did one earlier this year, 800yd swim, 16 mi bike, 4 mi run), I'm going to try and do three next summer.
carburated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #58
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thanks for the feedback guys the web site http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ is a great resource, I have been digging through it. Wow talk about wore out at the end of a day, two weeks ago when I started swimming, and running in addition to my biking and weight training man I would be toast at the end of the day. I already see allot of improvement from were I started which was the couch I have to just keep it up, stay disciplined and motivated, I might do a 40 mile loop tomorrow morning.
My swimming is OK I can swim 1600 meters in 45 minutes and improving, I can only run 1 mile right now and it takes me 11 minutes I know that will improve. I just don't want to throw the body into shock, have an injury or something , got to get all those dormant muscles woke up before I really take off.
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #59
carburated
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Ironman Kona is today! I'm watching the live coverage at ironmanlive.com

Chrissie is out. DNS for illness of some type.

They are about 10 minutes into the swim right now, gonna be a hot day out there.
carburated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #60
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,446
Looking forward to this year - big one for me. Registering for 5 tri's, ending with a bump to the Olympic level. Doing it as a fundraiser to help motivate. Check it out here: Click like if you're a facebook person, thanks for the support.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...64067386969167

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: