User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Vamos pa'l Sur: Mexico, Belize & Guatemala

We are at the start of our great adventure. We have been planning for 1 ½ years and we are now going Pa’l Sur…to the south. My friend Paul and I are leaving the 4th of July from Dallas. We will hit San Antonio for some common sense and information. (possibly a breakfast burrito) then later that day, cross into Mexico at the safest crossing we can find.
Paul and I know each other from college. We both were working on our MA degree at Arizona State University (he in linguistics and me in literature) and we played lots of basketball together. Good Times. Through some online college classes I was teaching we re-connected and hatched a plan to head south. He has family in Costa Rica, so the original plan was to get there. For our 21 day trip all those CA crossings seemed a challenge. Our plan is to hit central Mexico, Yucatan, inland Belize, Guatemala and the head home. We will be following some of the same routes that Tricepilot and Raoul Duke have forged. Paul lives in Portland and we had to get his bike here. That was a process. We will trailer the bikes to Dallas where my sister lives and will start the ride there at 4:00 am Sunday morning the 4th.
He and I have great families that support us but think we’re crazy. Many friends feel the same way. We are not phased at all and since we both speak Spanish very well, (we both teach spanish for a living in different capcities) we look forward to the adventure.
We plan to update a little while we travel, wi-fi permittinng. We both have KLR’s so we’re evenly matched. I have so much respect for anyone taking a trip like this because of the planning and prep involved. Amazing!

GB screwed with this post 07-01-2010 at 06:40 AM Reason: Computer accidentally submitted
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,686
Very cool (pun intended) - not too many headed south this time of year. Sounds like it's going to be a great trip!
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43
... and will start the ride there at 4:00 am Sunday morning the 4th
Uhhh, I don't think so. Maybe by 9:00 I'll be awake...

Quote:
He and I have great families that support us but think we’re crazy.
What? You got family support?

I'm the other guy and will piggy back on this RR. Glad to see you got this started and am looking forward to riding.

Here's my 07 KLR650 the day I bought it with 2K miles. Now it has 11.5K miles and has made one trip to Mexico already...it didn't suck on that trip, so hopefully I'll be able to keep up with Jeff's newer 09:
pdedse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,366
Sounds good! I'll fix your thread title and black on black font too.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Thanks and Stickers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Sounds good! I'll fix your thread title and black on black font too.

Muchas Gracias...I apreciate it. Hey...I ordered some ADV decals a few weeks ago and have not received them. I was hoping to spread the ADV love all over Mexico and Central America. How long do those things take to arrive, or are you not the guy to ask that question to?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,617
I'll be following along! Should be a great trip. If you guys went to school in Tempe, you know about hot summer riding. Great idea to head down through central Mexico. It's cooler in the mountains.

Have fun and take lots of pics!

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Tempe is hot

Yes...we went to school in Tempe @ the main campus. We did not ride at all back then. I spent lots of time at Sycamore Creek and Four Peaks on my Raptor... but no dual sport at that point.

Here is a pic of my bike and my son. We attended the "Swinging Bridges" ride in Wentzville, MO a month or so ago. Amazing good times. Great people. Nothing special on my bike yet as far as mods go. It's too new. I bought it last November from a guy in Kansas. In Nov. 09, I bought this 09 with 800 mi for $3,500. It was perfect...No scratches. Now it's got some. I put on a skid plate, Happy Trails alum. black panniers, got a tank bag and a waterproof duffle and I'm ready to go.

Here is me getting ready today while my daughter plays with her new itouch.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
nbingham9
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bmw

Is there any reason why to don't take your BMW instead of your KLR?
nbingham9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbingham9
Is there any reason why to don't take your BMW instead of your KLR?
He wants to return to his family...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Stop. Stop!

I thought you were just one of those ordinary ADV ride guys telling us all the details of a ride that would make us jealous!

Then I saw that last photo...You're taking 2 Soccer balls as potential Charity or collateral to ease that sticky tension with the over baring parent!

You are a flipin Genius! Being a Soccer guy too I am now TOTALY Jealous!

Have a fantastic Trip! I'll be watching!
jwrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Ok, evening before Jeff comes by to pick me up in Auburn, Kansas. Need to fit this into the bags.

That's a bit better. Just need to put clothes in saddle bags and will be all set

Now it's time for goodbye dinner...Enchiladas...cliche, but good!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
We are at the start of our great adventure. We have been planning for 1 ½ years and we are now going Pa’l Sur…to the south. My friend Paul and I are leaving the 4th of July from Dallas. We will hit San Antonio for some common sense and information. (possibly a breakfast burrito) then later that day, cross into Mexico at the safest crossing we can find.
Paul and I know each other from college. We both were working on our MA degree at Arizona State University (he in linguistics and me in literature) and we played lots of basketball together. Good Times. Through some online college classes I was teaching we re-connected and hatched a plan to head south. He has family in Costa Rica, so the original plan was to get there. For our 21 day trip all those CA crossings seemed a challenge. Our plan is to hit central Mexico, Yucatan, inland Belize, Guatemala and the head home. We will be following some of the same routes that Tricepilot and Raoul Duke have forged. Paul lives in Portland and we had to get his bike here. That was a process. We will trailer the bikes to Dallas where my sister lives and will start the ride there at 4:00 am Sunday morning the 4th.
He and I have great families that support us but think we’re crazy. Many friends feel the same way. We are not phased at all and since we both speak Spanish very well, (we both teach spanish for a living in different capcities) we look forward to the adventure.
We plan to update a little while we travel, wi-fi permittinng. We both have KLR’s so we’re evenly matched. I have so much respect for anyone taking a trip like this because of the planning and prep involved. Amazing!
Watch the weather report, ALEX, hit very hard the border where you will or might cross. Monterrey is totally colapsed. Be extra careful, the weather is terrible and it's raining real hard.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by abogado68
Watch the weather report, ALEX, hit very hard the border where you will or might cross. Monterrey is totally colapsed. Be extra careful, the weather is terrible and it's raining real hard.

I was going to say that!

http://www.vancouversun.com/Gallery+...783/story.html
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #14
Wolverine1305
The english is hard

Oddometer: 169
Nice trip through México

If you pass for Toluca, Mexico State let me know and may be I can be with you a part on the road. I live in a small city located directly south of Toluca to 50 Km toward Ixtapan de la sal and Tenango.
I have family in Dallas they live in St Agustine street.
Wolverine1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,290
Look Who's at Casa Tricepilot....

These two rolled into the driveway a little bit ago. I'm stuffing them with guacamole and fajitas...

Paul with his gift, a Dakar ADV sticker...

Here Jeff is elbowing Paul out of the way....on a mission to scarf his fajita...

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote