Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #136
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
The story...we're looking for a hotel and driving the streets of Tampico when two police officers wave us over (what would they have done if we had played dumb and rode on by...they were on foot?).

One talked to Jeff (guy in sunglasses) and the other talked to me...I got the nice guy. He kindly explained that we had violated section 143 of his little traffic rules booklet, and informed my that we would have to go to court to pay the 1600 peso fine...each ($120 roughly). Jeff's officer walked away to talk to another driver, but I started in with mine...

"Yes officer, I clearly see that I have violated rule #143."

("Jeff, what do you want to do?"....Jeff: I"M NOT PAYING"). That was all I needed to hear.

"Ok officer, I'd be happy to go to court, we have some extra days. Please write the ticket and we'll be on our way." No ticket is written.

"You understand that you'll have to spend lots of time in court, and pay the fine, correct? Or you can simply pay a portion of the fine here (400 pesos each) and we'll skip the ticket part."

"Mmmmm....No. I don't think so. Please write me the ticket so I can go to court and defend myself. I want to explain how Tampico police treat turistas driving through town."

"You don't want to go to court...lots of time wasted and you'll pay the judge much more than what you can pay us right now"

"Mmmmm...No, Please write the ticket."

Nada.

I say nothing. ...Jeff says nothing...My police officer starts in again with rule #143.

"Senor, I understand the regulation that we clearly broke (riding in the left lane...motorcyclists are limited to the right lane only as rule 143 so clearly states). Please, give me the ticket so we can be on our way."

No attempt at writing the ticket.

"Echame una mano" he pleads for some amount, any amount...We give no answer. Another 15 minutes of the same and finally..."Ok, you can both go now." No more mention of rule 143 nor of writing us a ticket. Just "you can go now". Cool. Jeff has the cajones to ask them for directions to a hotel, and they oblige!

So no mordida offered, none paid. A very good day...
Thanks for providing us all with a real world lesson in how it's done.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #137
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
Thanks for providing us all with a real world lesson in how it's done.
For a legit offense, I'm not sure,,,but this so quickly smelled of BS. My only regret is that I didn't ask the officer if I could take a close up pic of rule #143...he wouldn't let me take his pic--that would have been another fine, but I snuck in the one of his partner.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #138
Ollie Gort
Haywood Jablowme

Oddometer: 57
Awesome ride......
Ollie Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #139
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
For a legit offense, I'm not sure,,,but this so quickly smelled of BS. My only regret is that I didn't ask the officer if I could take a close up pic of rule #143...he wouldn't let me take his pic--that would have been another fine, but I snuck in the one of his partner.
He was breaking a much bigger law - a crime, actually. And you were willing to take the ticket. I assume you had your "spare" DL with you?

Good job!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #140
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan
He was breaking a much bigger law - a crime, actually. And you were willing to take the ticket. I assume you had your "spare" DL with you?

Good job!
Willing to take the ticket...That's what I wanted to see happen...the first time I asked for it and he didn't start writing anything, I was thinking the game is up...and yes, he did have my AZ driving license....but I haven't used that since I moved away 10 years ago...
Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #141
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Well, I'm off for Oregon to finish out the last 2000 miles...last two nights at Tricepilot's pad have been wonderful to rest up and do some bike items: new avon gripsters, new chain and sprockets, oil change, and rear end alignment (that's for me).

Tricepilot y esposa have made me feel completely at home and I'll never be able to thank you sufficiently. I only hope I can return the favor someday!

Gracias mil hermano!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #142
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
nice trip .....
EmilianoXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #143
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Interesting comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Just finished the last 4 pages... wow. The architecture is just astounding, both old and "new". The cenotes.... just wow. The Guatemala mountains are amazing and that landslide is terrifying. How was communicating with the Indians, do they all speak Spanish as well? Are there still areas that speak their native dialects?
Guatemala was my favorite part. The landscape and the dirt riding...amazing. You asked an interesting question about speaking with the Maya. Because we both speak Spanish very well...we never had a language issue...except in the mountains of Guatemala. You would stop to ask "how far to ..." and they would just stare. You had to name the town and then in broken Spanish the would say...viente minutos... You know how off information like that can be when it's the Spanish to English translation. You can imagine how much more the distances were wrong when you throw the many Maya dialects into the mix. That was a rough day for Paul. I had the map (which did no good) and I was talking to the people who kept saying...media hora..media hora....I was not 1/2 an hour...at all...i was strange to talk to people in Spanish and have them give the blank stare. They don't really need to Speak spanish at all.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #144
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

La mordida story

Paul is the real BA of that mordida story in Tampico. I remember saying I did not want to pay, but he was much more calm than I was. My cop was truly the "bad cop".. Paul's cop was good cop and was trying to "do him a favor". It all worked out...but I could have been more calm with bad cop. Right up front I told him that we needed to ride in the lane that was the most safe and that we were not going to pay 1600 pesos and that we were not going to court. He walked off and worked some other angle with a comercial truck. I did not say another word and he stopped talking to me all together. Then Paul worked his magic. I guess we had our own kind of "bad cop///good cop" thing going as well. The tables had been turned.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #145
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

San Cristobal to Veracruz

Well...Let's tie up some loose ends here. We left San Cristobal after a wonderful time and an oil change and set off towards Oaxaca. Here is the road...

But then on a whim, we took the Cuota towards Veracruz by accident and we said..."the coast sounds good for some reason" I think it was the fact that from Veracruz, home seemed very close. From here on out we took very few pictures. If you are in this ride only for pics...thanks for comming. It was nice having you along. Paul got a little goofy on the ride over to the coast.

There was a little construction and in the middle of it this truck turned over. It was a produce truck, and as it was being worked on, there were people cleaning it out of it's contents.

I like heavy equipment for some reason.

We arrived near dark and had a hard time finding a hotel. My headlamp went out sometime on the trip over and that made things hard. We found a place on the beach and had to pay 700 pesos. The hotel attendant was Spanish (I could hear her accent) I asked her if we could have a discount if we spoke with Spanish accents while we were at the hotel. She smiled and said "650" Funny.

Food was pretty good on the boardwalk and it rained hard all night. Swimming pool was nice and we talked to some Mexican boys that were travelling with their families...
Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #146
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Seemed strange to ride today and not have my buddy Jeff out there with me...

Casa de Tricepilot was better than advertised...

This is the scene of the crime where tires were changed, sprokets and chain were installed, rear break caliper was overhauled, oil changed and lots of sweat to wash it all down with...

He tries one more time to see why my taillight will only shine bright...but this last one eludes us all...

While we were inside having lunch, our bikes were discussing future trips!

You sir, are the definition of what a host should be...

I dragged myself away around 12:30 today and after about an hour, my speedo and odometer went out. Ironic because this had happened to Jeff the last day in Mexico. But mine happened shortly after changing out the front tire, so that had me thinking. Made it to Fort Stockton, TX by 6:30 and decided to stop so I could have some time to look at the speedo cable. Took off the wheel, checked everything out, no luck. Read the service manual and then I saw what I did wrong--when I put the wheel back on after the tire change, I didn't notice that two washer tabs need to be correctly aligned and they got bent as I tightened things up, and so no speedo. But I pulled it off, hammered the tabs straight, and buttoned everything back up and voilá, speed / odometer work! Naturally, in the middle of that, my bike decides to take yet another nap and I bent the handlebar a bit, but still ride-able...just that my right hand will arrive in OR before my left!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #147
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

In Veracruz

Veracruz was a little muggy. Paul had a quick breakfast and we hit a gas station on the way out of town I found this taco/quesadilla stand. It had 6 police officers around it. One of them had a V-strom 650. I taught him the word "Wee-Strom" and how to use it in a sentence. He had something exciting to take back to the precinct house. I felt bad about making Paul wait, but these were killer quesadillas. I ordered two and she said..."Son Grandes"...I said..."Soy grande". I took one for the road and ate it at lunch time.

Here is where I ate and the family business..Extremely nice people. Fun to talk to.

On the way along the coast we kept seeing wrecked cars heading south. I talked to a guy driving this truck and he said they were bought through "Copart" (look it up on line) and they were headed from NY to Guatemala City, Guatemala. The cars have salvage titles and they will be fixed up and sold in CA. This Rover was supercharged and sold for 100k new. They bought it for 20 k wrecked and will fix it and sell it.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #148
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Tepic to Tricepilot's Casa

The road between Verazruz to Tepic is wonderful. Right along the ocean and beautiful. It tepic we had nothing exciting to report. The attempt to extort money did not go well for good cop/bad cop. We stayed in an Auto Motel right by the freeway. From Tepic we hammered it to Laredo. We used good information again and we hit the Colombia bridge. We breezed through. I have my Cacahuates Japoneses to the guys checking our luggage. The next day we hit Tricepilots house at 12:00 noon and then the good times really got going. We went to a killer bbq place. Trice has lots of pics of that with his new camera. I changed my tire, Paul broke his bead and I was shown how to do the Do.

I won't say what all services are offered at the Casa de Tricepilot...I'll just say...No one has more tools, more helpful hints or more access to encredible BBQ...

Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #149
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Last day...7/23...yesterday

I left San Antonio at 6:30 am and drove into my driveway north of KC at 9:30 pm. I had no headlight so daylight was an issue. Near Waco I saw a huge amount of oil streaming out of my engine cover where we had replaced the Do. I was a little scared, but after taking the drive chain cover off i found that I had not replaced a plastic gromit that secured the wires going into the engine housing 3 minutes with a little screw driver and I pushed it back into place. No more leaks for the rest of the trip home. I was pretty sore last night. Went running this morning and now I'm wandering around the house trying to figure out what to do. I've been on the road for 3 weeks..it seems strange to come back. I'll get used to it.

Thanks to Paul and all of those who were helpful and were so supportive and willing to help. I hope I can be of service to you some day. KC is where I'm at, and if you need a place to stay or a place to work on your bike....Kearney, MO is where you can come.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #150
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
What an awesome report! The warnings you were getting about Nuevo Laredo are real. There have been some gun battles and grenade attacks by the Zetas. The situation on the Mexican side of the border is FUBAR right now.