Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbingham9
Is there any reason why to don't take your BMW instead of your KLR?
Funny you should ask...I like both bikes but since Paul is on a KLR I liked the idea of being more evenly matched. The BMW seat is very uncomfortable and it is lower to the ground. I don't really have a good reason. I think I just had planned to take the KLR and when Jax (my son) decided not to go...I just decided to proceed.

I mean look at how amazing this bike looks at 6:00 am this morning as we took off...

bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

No Credit here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrover
I thought you were just one of those ordinary ADV ride guys telling us all the details of a ride that would make us jealous!

Then I saw that last photo...You're taking 2 Soccer balls as potential Charity or collateral to ease that sticky tension with the over baring parent!
I can' take any credit for it. I saw Tricepilot do it in one of his reports and I'm copying him...I've got some small kickballs as well. I'm going allow some young children south of the border to have the experience of being picked last on a kickball team.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Muchas Gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1305
If you pass for Toluca, Mexico State let me know and may be I can be with you a part on the road. I live in a small city located directly south of Toluca to 50 Km toward Ixtapan de la sal and Tenango.
I have family in Dallas they live in St Agustine street.
Thanks for the invite...I don't know if we are heading in that direction...but if we are...we will look you up...
Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
These two rolled into the driveway a little bit ago. I'm stuffing them with guacamole and fajitas...
Ok...I need to put myself on record that Tricepilot makes some of the best guacamole around. He nailed it. 9.5. Needed a bit more cilantro for me.

This was very satisfying...!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

1st Day

Not much exciting from the first day. Tricepilot's house was the highlight. 460 miles of slab between North Dallas and Laredo. It was nice to get the boots off...

His daughter can play the piano like nobodys business. I don't know if she does weddings and / or barmitsvahs. (sp) but she is good. Very good!

This was the greatest gift ever...except for the guac. I have not received my stickers in the mail and now I feel legit. I'll do the same for any inmate that needs to stop over in KC for a rest.

It's late here at the Motel 6. Tomorrow will be a long day. We are going to try to get near Matehuala as long as the road between Monterrey and Saltillo is up and running...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #21
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Best of luck making it south. I came up to mcallen from zacatecas Friday. Its normally a 7 hour trip, took us 28 hours. South bound traffic however was in better shape than the north bound. If you pass through zacatecas on the way back let me know, i might be in town.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #22
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Day 2 Laredo to San Louis Potosi 509 mi.

Yesterday was amazing. First of all, it was the longest single ride day for Paul or I ever. 500 miles is a long way...especially in Mexico. The roads were great and we received lots of help along the way...even from nature. It did start off with waiting a little at the border. We were given great information that the Colombia border, West of Laredo was the border to hit. There was no one there...literally.

The border does not open until 8:00 and we got there at 7:15. It was perfect. The weather was nice and I got to make some phone calls from the USA side of the border before we crossed over. Paul had to go to a small white building to get his previous import permit canceled because he forgot to do in a year ago when he exited after riding to Puerto Vallarta. They gave him no problems about it. Afterwards I found a mexican lollypop hanging from a urinal. Why it would be hanging there I don't know. I figured it was supposed to be peed on up there.

The ride out of Nuevo Laredo was uneventfull and smooth. I have to say right here...I SAW NO SIGNS OF DANGER IN MEXICO. People are going about their lives and working and living. I realize there are people in danger, but for the most part they are fighting each other. We felt very safe and people are so helpful and friendly. We passed through Monterrey and took Libre. (the free road not the toll one, Cuota) The ride was spectacular...through the mountains. Monterrey was covered in cloudy smog because of the huracane that just passed through. We went to Saltillo in the Periferico but did not have to pay the toll because they were letting people go for free because of all the road closures. The road is open between Saltillo and Monterrey...

We found a bank in a small town near Saltillo called Ramos Arizpe. We had lunch at a Spanish deli called Illi y oli. It was great. My kids will reconize the green salsa on the table. My favorite.

While eating lunch it started to pour. The rain came down so fast it made rivers in the streets. We decided to suit up and head out and the rain stopped. It was perfect. We got to do some river crossings and did not even need to get offroad. The road out of Saltillo to "Mexico" is great. Lots of twists and turns. It only rained on us once. The smell of creosote bushes was very powerful.

We arrived in San Luis Potosi around 8pm. As we rode into town and were looking for the Zocalo, a guy flags us down and says...Where are you going? We said we were looking for downtown and a hotel He says follow me and takes us exactly where we wanted to be.

He gave us his info and welcomed us back to hook up with him the next time we are in town...Thanks Antonio...

We walked around a bit last night and crashed hard. 500 miles isn't just hard on the butt...This morning I walked around the city for an hour and 1/2 starting at dawn. Those pictures and stories will come later.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

tres imagines

Paul here, signed in as Jeff...

Three images for day 1 Mexico...

Parking lot...red car next to me as I await Jeff getting money. Mustache man with his 3 kids.

"Habla espanol?"
Enough...

"Muy linda la moto"
Gracias...I like it too.

"Poderosa"
It's big enough to get me where I need to go.

"Y mas"

I figure it's sticker time and pull out some that I had bought at Walgreens. I asked if his kids would like some, and he says sure. He makes them say thanks and they seem happy...yet confused a bit by some 6'3'' space suit alien handing them something. A minute late he asks if I'm Catholic and would I please accept his rosary hanging from his mirror, that it had been blessed as his kids school. The cross was a bit broken, but he said it would still work. It's in my tank bag.

2. Little girl by the side of the hiway, all dressed in pink walking through the mud and puddles, cute as can be, all of 8 or 9 years old. I begin to raise my arm to wave and right then she flips me off. Que Dios te bendiga, mi hijita.

3. Antonio helsp us find a hotel. A two sticker day as I hand him an ADV decal for his bike as he rides and visits this site. His genuine smile at being able lead us through San Luis Potosi to our hotel was a thing of beauty. It starts pouring right when we get our bikes in the parking garage.

My "me" moment of the day...Jeff brings my motorcycle key to me in the hotel room...says I left it in inserted in the gas cap at the parking garage. Oh well, the bikes were already chained together.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
nbingham9
n00b

Oddometer: 5
San Luis

Were you able to eat any Enchiladas Potosinas? They are sooooo good. Wish i could be there with you. San Luis has some awesome spots.
nbingham9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
hazard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Go to Real de Catorce

Real de Catorce: Take the back way out , tell me what you think.

Cross over Pico De Orizaba to the climbers shack.... Fun Stuff

I wanna go back

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Excellent!

No better way to start (or finish) an adventure ride than by hanging at Casa Tricepilot for some amazing food and generosity.

I was just thinking that I began my Central American ride on July 5 last year, also on a 2009 KLR. I'll be reading this RR, and wishing you guys all the best.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,742
Did you take the toll road 57 from Saltillo to SLP?

Those long straight sections ... riding incline due to side wind ...
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Day 3 San Luis Potosi to Leon

Started off with an early morning walk around San Luis in the dark. Lots of people hustling and bustling off to work and to get food stands set up.

Went into the church to check it out. Lots of people stopping by to pray to San Jose del trabajador. They could get clensed of their sins while they wait.

Outside of the main catedral.

In the main plaza there was a huge line of men and a huge line of women. They were waiting for hair and makup because they were getting prepped to be in a movie. They were extras.. I think it was called "Christian". Look for it in a Mexican theatre near you.

As far as I know this is the only way to ride a unicorn.

Had an amazing ride through Lagos de Moreno to Leon. Met up with my sister-in-law's family. We're here now....Lots of pics from here tonight after we go get the best tacos in the world. Some people will be jealous. Also there will be a caption contest for a future picture. You'll know it when you see it. The winner will get a prize.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Caption Contest!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #30
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
Excellent!

No better way to start (or finish) an adventure ride than by hanging at Casa Tricepilot for some amazing food and generosity.
Amen to that and with any luck we'll do both.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote