Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #61
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
These guys helped us with ideas for the Yucatan, shared some riding stories, bought us dinner and we had an awsome evening with them. At the end of the night, they break out two shirts, one for me and one for Jeff--they had the local chapter LAMA embroidered on them, AND our names!! How they got two shirts to the restaurante WITH our names on them in less than two hours is beyond me.

Eric, the VP and the one we met in street, is in the middle....

Hugo, the restaurante ower..

More to come...
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #62
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

The Ciudad del Carmen LAMA chapter. Their generosity was overwhelming!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #63
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Ciudad del Carmen has the typical open air markets, but since it's right on the coast, fishing is big...

This guy greeted me in English..."Good morning!" I asked him if he wanted to practice speaking English, and he says again "Good morning!!" Ok, lesson one is done, but that was the extent of his vocab. But then he showed off his fish and sharks...
Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #64
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

A guy making tortillas. He said the machine puts out about a thousand per day.

Hmmmm, can't remember the name, but begins with a P....????

I've been wanting one of these,,,puno, won't fit in my mc luggage.

By 11 we were on the road again try to get to Merida. It was muggy hot as in you pour sweat from every pore possible even while in the shade. That really tests your ATGATT mentality. But after dumping liter after liter of water into our bodies, we did make it to Merida just as a dounpour let loose and soaked us pretty good. Found nice hotel and made plans for week 2 of 3. Hmmm, do we watch world cup final or go to chitchen itza?

pdedse screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 10:34 PM
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #65
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

We left Ciudad del Carmen by 1130am and headed for Mérida and just got totally soaked as the rain hammered us once we entered the city looking for a hotel. Found a nice enough one and set out to explore and find something to eat...

I had never tried Montejo before but it was really nice.
We ate at a place called Los Almendros which was appropriately named as the park across the street had a number of almond trees. Above is Sopa de Limon which was other worldly and Jeff had arroz con pollo which he shared with me, and then he moved on to a different pork dish...

The cathedral at night...

And the next morning...

Did a lot of bike maintenance but the old dog is holding up well...have covered 2000 miles so far this trip and I have added about 3/4 quart of oil, but we´ve been riding at 75 for long periods so I don´t think that´s abnormal.

I´ve been needing a coin purse or something to hold all the change you get from the cuota toll roads and after a walk around the plaza where everybody was selling their beautiful crafts, clothing, and other items, the only thing I could come up with was the black monedero in the middle...these just scream Yucatan...right?

Walking around the plaza, Sunday morning...

Sunday morning mass just ending...

We got all packed up and it was around 1130 again when we pulled out of Mérida...we had made an important decision...we would forego the World Cup final in favor of going to Chichen Itza...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #66
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

How could I forget this one...

I had met Luis in the morning, a kind looking man with few front teeth, an odd sore growth under his left eye and whitish hair. He and another hotel employee ambled over to where I was (sweat streaming down my forehead and I was in the shade). The first question is "what size is it?" and then the make...the lowly klr650 is a huge bike for them. Them come the "where did you come from?" questions and the quizzical looks when you tell them.

Luis still rides! He looked like he wanted to take a spin on mine, but his little blue scooter was tucked away in a corner of the hotel courtyard parking area. Still, he´s riding at his age, thumbs up!

He gave me directions to get out of town. Later when we we´re leaving he strolled over again to chat with us. He repeated the directions and then Jeff was on the spot and gave him one of the soccer balls he brought down to give to children. But it just seemed the right thing to do at the time. I think he was quite pleased...not even sure he´ll share it with the grandkids...

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #67
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Ciudad del Carmen was amazing!

I can't say enough about the guys and people we met in Ciudad del Carmen.. They took us in, fed us, told us about 100 times that anything we needed they would be happy to help us. It was absolutely amazing! This is the wife and daughter of the owner of the restaurant.

These are the two in charge for real. The one on the left told us the greatest story about when her husband was driving home in the rain and it was dark and he was drunk and he let the bike go down to the ground. Funny story...

We talked to this kid (Kike) from venezuela for a long time. His dad was in the LAMA club in Venezuela. I lived in Venezuela for two years so it was amazing to talk about all things Venezuelan.

I tried to tell Paul not to jump...

bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #68
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Merida to Playa del Carmen

Playa is very touristy. Took a while for Paul and I to find a hotel for around 500 night. But I just ate the best tacos of my life. I'll go back tomorrow and take a pic of the place. Outstanding.

When we were arriving to the Yucatan I took this one. A lifelong dream fulfilled.

I read this book when I was a teenager called Tolteca or Quintana Roo where the killer turns out to be the detective investigating the crimes. (sorry for the spoiler) From then on I always wanted to go explore in the Yucatan Peninsula. The ruins the people...fascinating. Here is a facinating one. Name this fruit...

Paul mensioned the "P" word...Pithaya.

We had an amazing time in Merida. We arrived early, found a hotel and could not believe where we were. It had not rained on us all day. We drove into town and Paul said...we are going to get dumped on. We did. 10 minutes of the hardest rain ever. Found a great hotel near the centro historico and explored a little. Lots of people selling things in the plaza. Did not take the camera. Paul posted pics of dinner...amazing local fare. The strained beans were interesting and you can see in his pics that all the salsas were habanero based. The taste was great, but I paid for it in the morning.

In the morning I went to church. The building I went to was next to this building.

We took the libre all the way to Play del carmen and this is where the fun and the adventure began.

We were like 20 min. from Chichen Itza and I found a sign for a cenote. I drove over and some people were comming out and said it was amazing. We stripped down and went for a swim. Not before meeting these people from Merida and taking pics with them. Very nice people. He was very talkative about motorcycles and even while we were swimming.

Paul gave his daughter Dora stickers and she loved that. Her name was Dana...I have a cousin Danna. Que interesante...
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #69
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Wink More road to Playa del Carmen...

It's like 2:15 am and I'm in the room posting and Paul is down in the computer room posting...so hopefully we don't overlap too much. So we get to this cenote. I asked the woman taking our 30 pesos and watching our bikes and stuff how she got a cenote? Did she find it or did her parents give it to her. I was just joking, but she said yes...her dad gave it to her. It was a well, and they thought it might be a cenote. They started digging and look what they found...Paul has great pics of the water, but here is how he looked going down in...

The swimming was unreal. Cool clear water that went on for hundreds of meters. It's like swimming in a cave where stalagtights and stalagmites are all around. It was lit in one part, but in the deep part we were swimming kind of in the dark. The bats did not like us talking and the made noises. A few of them flew around us a little. Floating on your back it felt like looking at the bottom of the ocean. Great diversion. Then we got to Chichen Itza and saw this:

Espana still had not scored their World cup winning goal. So we went out to see the view. It was 116 pesos. Pretty cheap.

I saw this little guy over by the Cenote Sagrado

The ball court was very cool.

I was trying to get a picture of the plumed serpent eating El Castillo.

We have had so many people ask us about the bikes and want to take pictures of us, with us, near us. We usually make them jump up on the bikes. Mine has a center stand which makes it a little easier. The lady on Pauls bike freaked out like she was riding a bucking bronco.

Paul and I, we aim to please. It was so hot, and people kept saying...Those are cool motorcycles...can we get a picture. I told Paul...hurry up and get your gear on or we'll never get out of here. The ride to Carmen was great. We took Libre the whole way. Not because we wanted to. There was lots of construction and we went towards cuota...but it wasn't there. We can buzz over the topes (speed bumps for those of you that don't know) pretty quick. I hate when there is a sign for a tope...but then no tope...also in this area there were some like 8 inch tall topes that rattled us a little. Speaking of a good rattling...I was so excited that I saw two quail in the road running by. I used to hunt quail in Az and they are cool looking. Paul was right behind me and then both quail decided to fly away. One of them commited suicide by hitting my right shoulder pad in my jacket and hitting the ground. I could not believe it. I wanted to document it so I could prove that I also did some quail hunting today.

That was one dead quail.
It got a little dark and we took a wrong turn...but the last 45 min. were very cool and breezy. Playa del Carmen has great weather. Nice and cool. We have had amazing weather this whole trip so far. Today many dreams were lived out. I have to say here for those who I know who said "You could not pay me to go to Mexico right now". I'm sorry you are not here to experience the genuine kindness of the people here. I have always loved Mexico, but I have so much more respect for the people and the country after just 7 days. I'm very excited about the next 14.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #70
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Chichen Itza fotos to follow soon, but here´s a preview video of a little conversation I had with a boy....

He comes up to me, after having talked to a Mexican couple sitting under a tree in the shade, and asks if I speak Spanish...when he heard I did he instantly became my friend, sat down beside me and started chatting about this and that. It was sticker time and I pulled out a sheet and gave them to him. He didn´t know what they were. I had to peel one off and show it to him. I also gave him a set of 4 crayons and he liked that, but did point out that one was broken.

Soon two other boys, older, about 13 or 14, wander over and ask if I´d like to boy any of their little mayan god statue replicas. I explained that I had very little space for gifts because I was traveling by motorcycle. They liked that idea.

Back to little boy...he said something I didn´t catch and he said he had just counted to 3 in mayan...ok, I said, do it again but let me film you...

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=MVI_1779.mp4

(Question...how to make the above link seen as video within this post? and let me know if it doesn´t work)

And here´s a photo...

I did end up buying a little 3 inch mayan god from the 14 old boy...dios de la abundancia...for 20 pesos. He said he can sell them sometimes for $15 (US) to the rich american tourists but that since I made a good impression on him he´d let me have it for 30 pesos. I looked at him without saying anything and he says since I gave him stickers too (and for his sisters) that he would lower it to 20 pesos (a buck 60 or so). I started to say how about 15, but then pulled out a 20 peso bill and said that was just fine. We then went over phrases in English that they could use with potential customers and they really liked that...minds like sponges with the language. Said they could speak enough Italian to make sales as well. Sales were slow today, they said, and I wished them better luck next Sunday as I left.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #71
EwliyaCelebi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks for your report...
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #72
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43
... Paul was right behind me and then both quail decided to fly away. One of them commited suicide by hitting my right shoulder pad in my jacket and hitting the ground.
Utterly amazing! If you ever have seen the video of Randy Johnson, when he was with the AZ Diamondbacks, throwing a pitch and in flies a bird within the strike zone and BAM! Bird feathers flying everywhere...well this is exactly what it looked like from behind. I saw the poor thing take off and while one flew up and away, the other...BAM! Jeff does a great job navegating up font, clearing the way so to speak.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #73
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

I´ll have to admit when Jeff pulled over to check out the cenote ("Cenote, 200 metros"), I wasn´t expecting much--it was a handpainted sign, didn´t have a name and just seemed unlikely to be a "let´s stop for this" moment bearing in mind we were headed for Chichen Itza. When you have a pleasant experience it´s made even more special when it´s unexpected...

The stairs leading down to the pool

Water was just right, clear to the bottom

Scary, but you get the idea

Hmmmmmmm...

We made to C.I. by 230 and yep the World Cup was playing, so we got to
watch about 5 minutes of it...

El Castillo

Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #74
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

I´ve been to Tikal some 20 years ago, to Coban in Honduras, and wanted to visit C.I. for some time, so it was good to finally get here, and particularly by motorcycle.

Wasn´t pretty, but a wet hanky keeps it cool...

Jeff´s got 5 children, so he has promises to keep...

He found a couple of cool shirts...

Really, this deserves one more shot...

Plus one on Jeff´s comments aobut the people from before...just super friendly and the bikes seem to be a magnet for conversation. I´ve done a couple of solo rides in Mexico but never received as much attention as this time around...must be Jeff...or maybe it´s the new model of KLR he´s riding. No matter, we´ve had several people want pics with us dressed up in our mc gear and we´re both about 6´3", so I think they like the height difference. But those who have approached us have been really enjoyable to talk to and they love the idea of how we´re traveling. I think I do too!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #75
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Can't wait for the Guate part
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote