User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #91
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,073
A few more shots of ATM area...

bridge crossing about 4 miles from the hiway...

I forget the name of this rail thin site guard, but he was proud of his 175 and it has over 24K kilomoters...says he lives 90 miles away and goes home ever week to 10 days. He's the one who said we could go no more w/out guide. I was already to go back to San Ignacio, 45 minutes away, spend the night and try again the next day, but as Jeff described earlier, out of the blue a guide drives up and we work it out with him...it pays to be lucky.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #92
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Jeff trying to work something out...I honestly don't mind the waiting around for it gives you the chance to just to sit and soak things in.

The entrance to ATM goes through some orange groves and these poles are used to knock the ripe ones out of the trees.

Soon a guide drives through, last group of the day, and we're on our way. If Jeff hadn't gone the extra mile, we would have had to go into San Ignacio to make the arrangements for the next day. Worked out great.

pdedse screwed with this post 07-16-2010 at 05:29 AM
Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #93
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

After a 40 minute hike, we're at the rive mouth where it comes out of the mountain, and Jeff gets ready...

Swm on in!

Sometimes you have to squeeze by, sometimes wade, sometimes swim.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #94
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/pdedse/Mexico%202010/IMG_1823.jpg

There were lots of pottery remains, many where they were found, different theories on what offerings they may have been used for...

Some of the rock formations had been manipulated so that when lit up, different gods could be seen. The idea with one like this is that if the light were fire, the siloute would appear to be dancing...

pdedse screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 10:29 PM
Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #95
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Absolutely crazy rock formation, stalactites, mineral deposits and even some plants growing in total darkness that depend on the light flashlites for photosynthesis, according to the guide.

Supposed to have been a young female, early 20s...

So here's the damage to the inside part of the right knee that I suffered when I had a low spead spill on the way out. I was lucky, had I hit my kneecap, this trip might have been over for me. As it is, I have a stiff knee, a good scrape, and some bent nurf bars that need to be straightened a bit.

pdedse screwed with this post 07-16-2010 at 05:30 AM
Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #96
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

We left San Ignacio about 8:00am and headed for the border. It took about 1.5 hours. Not too many people, but Jeff's title didn't have the licence plate number on it and it held things up for a while. We tried to convince them that they could use the VIN number instead, and they warmed to the idea.

They were actually two of the nicest border agents I've encountered. One was interested in motorcycles and that always helps. The only real negative was the heat, but once we got moving, all was well. We were heading for Tikal. On the way we stopped at road side restaurante and for the second time today we had scrambled eggs and beans / tortillas. In Belice it had cost $6 U.S. and here in Guatemala it was $1.50.

It's challenging to take a photo of a ceiba tree...

It started to pour and a flood of visitors began to head out. We were so hot that we didn't mind the rain, although we did wait 15 minutes for it to ease up a bit...

Well, it's getting late so the Tikal pics will wait, but you've prolly already seen 'em before...but the ones we take are really good...no really, they----

pdedse screwed with this post 07-16-2010 at 05:31 AM
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #97
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
San Ignacio to Tikal to Flores, Guatemala

San Ignaciio was very nice. We had a great time. We stayed at some bunalows where the archeologists of the futre were all staying. Here is a shot of the restaurante owner.

The border between San Ignacio, Belize and Guate was pretty ok. Checking out of Belize was easy. They gave me a little bit of a hard time because they could not see my plate number on my title. They don't do that in misouri. This is the 1.50 lunch we had on the way to Tikal on the side of the road. The lady said she only had eggs. They were great...

The road to Tikal is think with signs of animal life. I don't know what this animal is.

bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #98
macrosse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
This all looks familiar

Pablo! Que paso? This RR is bringing back way to many memories. I'm glad your getting to see all the stuff you missed out last year. I'm back in Portland, so soon as I find a job and save up some money we can head back down next year. Ride safe and give me a call when you get close to Oregon and I will meet up with you for the last few hundred miles of your trip. Take care buddy!

Day ride in Mexico's Mountains
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422432
macrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #99
aloor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'll tell you what that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43
The road to Tikal is think with signs of animal life. I don't know what this animal is.
Um, clearly that is a picture of a Liger. They are bred for their skills and magic. It's pretty much my favorite animal ever.
aloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #100
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Made it to Lanquin, Champey

I only have 5 min for this post. The stupid internet cafe is closing...at 8? huh?

We started in Flores, Guatemala...by Tikal. Amazing I swam to an island, Paul met some former students.

The we had the most rigerous day of riding. Over the mountains. We met a family at a gas station. I gave the little girl a ball to play with and her brother kept trying to take it. Pics comming

this is what the mtns looked like. Hard to describe in words.
We were wiped out when we got here and it started to rain. We'll go to Semuc Champey tomorrow. Should be killer...

Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #101
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Tikal

Getting to this place was a blast and it tested Paul and I greatly. It took us like 6 hours to go 50 miles. Up steep hills down ravines...Pura terrazeria...dirt.

But first...some images of Tikal

Walking into Tikal it starts to dump rain. That was cool, because most people left. There were not too many there. I saw a couple I knew from AZ...crazy.

Here is the approach:

Sometimes you have a big head.

Paul is a good photographer.

Here is Templo II from the Gran Plaza. Impressive. Much more interesting than Chichen Itza by a long way. And all hiking through the jungle. Very cool!

Here's a great shot of Paul mid-stumble. His knee was sore a little because of his tumble. He did great hiking around.

I swear I can see a face here.

I'm a sweaty beast.

Temple IV is the highest temple...70 meters. From this point we could hear the howler monkeys going at it. They are extremely loud. It sounded like a tyrranesourus rex was off in the distance.

I took the path less traveled. It has made all the difference.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #102
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Flores and beyond

We left Flores and I went for a swim...Out to the island.

the view from the hotel

I've seen two types of weedeaters here. This kind and the animal on the side of the road kind.

Here is where the riding gets amazing. We head south from Flores to Sayaxche, Sebol and then Lanquin where Semuc Champey is located.
Here's the ferry.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #103
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Leaving Flores...cont.

a At a gas station we met a cool Mayan familia. I gave away my last toy to this girl. Her brother kept trying to steal the ball but I made him give it back. Here is the boy in question. A boy and his cock are not soon separated.

I can't stress enough how amazing this next ride was. From Sayaxche to Lanquin was like 50 miles and it took like 5 hours. Up and down mountainsides. Rocks, rivers, very steep. Into mayan villages where they looked at us like we were crazy. It was the true measure and reason why dual sport bikes were created.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #104
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Most amazing road

By the time we got to Lanquin, Paul was hammered, mentally and physically. We both were. I found a cool cabin hotel, but it was full. I'm going to just put a few of the photos here of our ride, because it was crazy. If you want dual sport...Guatemala is the place to be! There is no way to look at a map and say...I'll ride there and know what it will be like here. It goes from beautiful asphault to rocks and rivers in a matter of minutes. I'm going to try and post some video of it tonight.

Incredible. Words can not desribe the mountains in Guatemala.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #105
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Jeff and I will be going back and for with photos, so back to Tikal for one last look. I went there 20 some years ago and was pleasantly surprised to see that not a lot had changed. You used to be able to walk right up the steps of Templo 4, but now they have the wooden steps.

Jeff takes it all in...

I like the low key atmosphere of Tikal, at least when we arrived there, at 2pm, and a storm had chased many people away. Its fun to just sit there and marvel at what they built. Makes me wonder what will become of my house in a 1000 years. Will prolly need new paint by then.