Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #106
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Ha Ha...very funny...hermana

How about this:

"I know this is dangerous and inconvenient...but I sure do love fig newtons" Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloor
Um, clearly that is a picture of a Liger. They are bred for their skills and magic. It's pretty much my favorite animal ever.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #107
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,124
After Tikal, we found a nice place overlooking the island in the lake and the next morning while walking around town...

Every dog has its day...

Both Tikal and Flores were a trip down memory lane for me, when I was much younger and was wondering where life was taking me. Am I there yet?
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #108
nbingham9
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bling

I love the bling on the body of that bus. them must have custom ordered them from OCC.
nbingham9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #109
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

On the way to Lanquin, Jeff mentioned the ferry crossing, which was very cool. First the guys said 10Q each, then he said 2 for 1. Who were we to argue?

The above photo shows 14.7K and we started Dallas at 11.8K, so this river crossing was nearly 3K into our trip. So far so good with the bikes. Except when she wants to take a siesta in the middle of the afternoon, photo coming soon...
Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #110
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

The pavement ended and I began to see Jeff in his element. The man loves offroad, and me, well,,,,.er....photo coming....

See, thats Jeff getting smaller and smaller, a site I would be getting used to over the next 2 days. But how ya gonna hold back another mans fun?

Finally, I caught up with him (hare and tortoise ring a bell?) and snapped his arrival into town...

What is the proper etiquette for taking photos of strangers? I started to sneak this photo, then said "ah, what the hell" and just sauntered up to him and introduced myself and asked if he wouldnt mind me taking his photo. He smiled big and said "of course not" as if what I asked were the most natural thing in the world. We chatted about our trip and he wished me well. Well, theres an answer!

Sometimes, they ask you...

We were now about to enter the wildest, wooliest, wackiest mc riding I had every attempted...but do consider the source...

Old 07-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #111
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Lanquin (Semuc) to Huehuetenango

I'll split this up a bit so I don't lose any info. Well...the day before this ride was hard. Paul decided not to go to Semuc. This second day in the mtns was killer. I had Semuc Champey to myself. Literally. There was no one there.

I had to buy a little gas on the side of the road to make sure I had enough...but once I got going up the mtn it was one of the best 11 km ever.
The road t Semuc is so steep that they have concrete runners for people that drive on. I drove up the mist covered mountains waving hello to all the Mayan people on the way.

You have to cross this bridge right before you get to the lagoon/river. Here is my bike.

Really...there was no one there. I got there at 7:20 on a Saturday and swam and hiked for 90 minutes uninterrupted.

This was a quiet path. I started to hike up to the mirador (lookout) but an old guy said it would take 90 minutes...and I did not feel like it. The water was crystal clear...very refreshing

This is where the river goes underground.

I snapped this great barnyard pic on the way back. I think I heard the pig in the background say "dale duro"... but I could have been mistaken.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #112
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Hell yeah

accessories are very important here. If you don't have a jesus me guia or a cristo es el redentor sticker on your bus...you might not get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbingham9
I love the bling on the body of that bus. them must have custom ordered them from OCC.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #113
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Nice turkey photo, there, buddy, but remember this is a family forum...

Up 30 minutes, down 30 mintues, repeat, repeat, repeat. As the crow flies, what 20, 30 miles? Missed lunch, needed to get where we were supposed to for the night, cause there werent many options, and yeah, 2 white guys on mc riding through Mayan roads.

Right after the above photo, I saw a guy about 20 on another mc with his two little sisters was coming down, opposite direction, I was stopped, straddling the bike, waved and as I moved to get going, stepped on some loose rock and down we went. The guy stopped, ran back to where I was and helped me lift her back up. Gave us a chance to talk bikes. He tried to make me feel good and said how he hates this particular stretch...very dangerous...guess thats why he was flying down with his two sisters!

I will never forget this ride. But I was getting tired...as in wiped out. Jeff was positive with me but I simply needed to eat and get off the bike, but it wasnt happening. More up and down and finally, mercifully, we made our destination. But a lesson learned...eat well, and know how far you want to go so the mental aspect of the ride doesnt affect you. Still, the views, the sights, the smells, the smiles, the dust, the green, the rocks, the curves...other worldly.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #114
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

The road from Lanquin to Huehuetenango

This was my second most favorite riding day. All the dirt came first and then it was just smooth sailing through the beautiful pavement roads in the mtns of Guate.

Paul is going to talk more about this "derrumbe", but it was a chore to get around. Had so much fun. Paul said he was going to go at his pace. So I decided to go at mine for a while. I was flying supercross style through the dirt and rock. My duffel dislodged itself and I had to tie it back on. Absolutely amazing dirt, rock and asphalt. Good times.

Obviously derrumbe is a landslide where it rains so much and the mountain just gives way. We have a very interesting derrumbe story from today. This is how our day finished up. Lots of this...Lots and lots of it. I could not get enough. I was just saying...pinch me...this can't be real.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #115
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Question Huehuetenango to San Cristobal de las Casas

The night we spent in Huehue was not the greatest. I can say that I paid 4$ for a hotel and did not die in it. It was rough because the bed broke my back and because the party next door did not die down until 3:30. These were our hosts. Edma and her mom.

In the morning Edma asked what causes headaches. I should have told her that it was the extra umpah in the baseline because it was going on very loud all night long.

So this next part was between Huehuetenango and the border (Mesilla) It was one of the most crazy, scary things we have seen. The mountains in this part of guate are just killer. The riding is faster and more fun. We stopped to take stock of the situation just for like 30 seconds. We started to go again and we had a cop in front of us. He kept moving kind of over like he wanted us to pass. So finally we did. 45 seconds later all traffic stops. There was a small landslide. (derrumbe) It was timed such that it knocked the motorcycist we had just let pass us down and destroyed his motorcycle. The rocks came from the left to right and took him down. He said he was lucky to just be alive. Here are the pics. In the first pic. you can see the guy just passing Paul over his shoulder.

The guy is on the left.

We helped him load his bike up in the truck of another traveler who said he would take him to Mesilla.

We felt very lucky today because that kind of thing can happen. Is Mexico safe? Is Guatemala safe. There are risks everywhere. This is a risk I had even ever considered. We felt very blessed thinking about the kind of riding we had been doing over the last three days in Guatemala. WOW!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #116
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

A few more before arriving in Lanquin...the smile on Jeffs face says it all...

Lanquin...Jeff got up early to do the pool thing, and I just got up and did bike maintenance...and rested from the day prior...

He was back by 900am and we took off for Coban...

We wanted to make it to Huehuetenango for the night. A cabbie led us through Coban and we started on the "Ruta Quiché". I asked how long the dirt road lasted and the answer was 5 kilometer. Jeff asked and another guy said 1.5 hours. One was more right than the other...2 hours of dirty fun. But today was fun because I was fresh and ready for it.

But when we got to the following, my heart nearly stopped. Not because of the road and the level of difficulty, but because I had seen this before. I work at a community college in Oregon and we have CA students study there. About 3 years ago there was a huge landslide and it affected several of our students families. If I remember right, this landslide took the lives of some 100 people. It was 2 or 3 kilometers long. We had to go down and then back up. I cant fathom the force of all that earth traveling down.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #117
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

A few more shots of the derrumbe...

Look closely and you can see Jeff ripping it up along the road.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #118
aloor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Las Piedras me guia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43
accessories are very important here. If you don't have a jesus me guia or a cristo es el redentor sticker on your bus...you might not get there
What about El Ni~no Divino? I think after you just missed that last rock slide you need to get SEVERAL Nino Divino stickers to protect you from further slides. Maybe even a little figurine to dangle from the handlebars of your bike.
aloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #119
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

After the derrumbe, there was lots more riding. When asking we had people tell as that the trip would take any where from 6 to 10 hours. It ended up short of 6 and it was good to know that we would be in Huehuetenango, ready to turn this trip north.

I love the way gas stations have little eatery bars where you can grab a quick snack or lunch and be on your way...

We had our chance to wash the bikes...

The road was fun!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #120
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Yes, the mc rider taken out by the derrumbe was sobering. I think from there on Jeff and I were content to ease on out of Guatemala.

We arrived in San Cristobol de las Casas around 4pm and had time to do some things, relax a bit. Some people shots to end today...