User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #31
wrangler747
KLR for life

Oddometer: 540
Nice

Awesome ride in beautiful country. I grew up in the Kettle Valley and graduated high School in Midway just down the red from that red museum picture you posted. I now live in Georgia but still visit every few years. I was super excited when I saw a KVR report..again nice job
wrangler747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #32
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler747
Awesome ride in beautiful country. I grew up in the Kettle Valley and graduated high School in Midway just down the red from that red museum picture you posted. I now live in Georgia but still visit every few years. I was super excited when I saw a KVR report..again nice job
Thanks for the kind words. I loved the ride through the whole area. One that I will never forget.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 AM   #33
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,181
Absolutely outstanding!

08 Buell XB12XT
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #34
Fast914
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Your RR was a great start to my morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1
Thanks all. It was my first crack at a ride report and the bar has been set very high on this site, so I put some effort into it. It helped to have 3 cameras along. I will be back on the K.V.R. as I found a few bits that I have not yet done north of Merrit along highway 8. I was on my other bike heading for Lytton B.C. when I spotted sections of the road bed and an old trestle.

I do appreciate the good comments, but compared to some more exotic locals, it pales by comparison. I was starting to wonder why it took so long to see any traffic on the thread.
Just a quick note of thanks for such great photography and really how much more exotic can you get...I cannot wait to get out your way next year and see some of that territory. Thanks again!

Grant
(on the East Coast)
Fast914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast914
Just a quick note of thanks for such great photography and really how much more exotic can you get...I cannot wait to get out your way next year and see some of that territory. Thanks again!

Grant
(on the East Coast)
I may be guilty of taking the scenery for granted as I ride quite a bit through British Columbia. When you are coming out this way, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to show you around, or at the very least have a coffee and answer any questions you may have.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 08-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #36
mxbulldog
Braaaap!

Oddometer: 114
Excellent RR with great pictures. Looking forward to getting out and riding the KVR next year.
mxbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #37
KennyG
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Lycan, superb job. I also KLR650, so will definitely look at this as a next year to be done thing. RR was OUTSTANDING IMHO.
Don't underestimate the riding areas we have in western Canada; that said, the KVR looks to be a very special place to visit and ride.
Thanks again.
r
K
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #38
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Questions & Answers

Dave 6, good to meet you and I hope that I was some help despite the GPS not having the info on it. Here are some shots of the Brookmere road turn off if you bypass the north end of the burnt trestle.

The campsite the second night was Banbury Green south of Penticton down by the lake. The entrance is up on the hill just off the highway and easy to miss the entrance.

The first night was in Castlegar, here: http://www.castlegarrvpark.com/

This is north of Arlington lake and Beaverdell

This is what you can expect between Jura Station and just north of Princeton in the farm valley, as the KVR loops back and forth crossing the highway a couple of times to lose altitude.

Have a great ride.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 12:04 PM
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #39
RiderJones
sketchy

Oddometer: 263
Hey Lycan1,

Thanks for the great RR, I was looking for info on this trip and hadn't really found much until now! This looks like a 'must' ride for southern BC.

Good job.

RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #40
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJones
Hey Lycan1,

Thanks for the great RR, I was looking for info on this trip and hadn't really found much until now! This looks like a 'must' ride for southern BC.

Good job.

Thanks, I really enjoyed the Whistler to Hedley RR as well. I am always looking for more BC adventures

I am totally envious of your location. While I was staying in Kaslo. I found my dream home. Just some guys garage & guest house above. Looked perfect to me. Room for my bikes with just enough space for when I can't be on them.

09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 09:09 AM
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #41
650x
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Our Trip on the KVR

Lycan1: Really enjoyed looking at your ride report. Wish I would of saw it before today. My wife and I just got back from riding in Canada. We started out riding the Selkirk loop and ended up riding part of the KVR (I realize the part we rode is not actually the KVR, but am calling it that because it fits in with your report.) We were on it yesterday, September 5th.

Want to make it clear right away, I am in no way implying you should not be riding these rail trails, but am only going to share my experience and try to learn all I can in case we ever get back in the area.

We started out on the Castlegar end and found the start without much trouble.

Close up of sign at start of trail. Looks like this is clearly open to motorcycles.

My V-Strom loaded down for multi day camping trip to Canada from our home in NE Oregon. My wifes V-Strom was loaded in a similar manner.

Loved the trail and for the most part was very easy to ride. The scenery was great. My wife crossing one of the trestles and riding through one of the short tunnels.

Looking down from a trestle and view from the same trestle. The trees are so thick along the trail it is hard to get good pictures except from the trestles.

As you can tell, I like the trestles.

Taking a break along the tracks.

Action picture of my wife.

Last good view point before leaving the waters edge. There was a quad parked there and he told us a little of what was ahead on the trail. His grand daughter was riding along with him.

The long tunnel.

Some of the few quads we passed on the trail.

Saw this fairly new sign board. Took a picture of the sign, but never really read it very carefully until tonight when I was looking at the pictures.

Close up of part of the sign.

reading this sign would lead you to believe the trails are NOT open to motorcycles. However, after reading what you wrote I am not really sure what to believe. Just past this sign, the rail trail crossed a road and there was a sign just like the one at the start of the trail that says motorized use is okay. In any case we rode on. Didn't pass any more motorized users from here on. Did pass some bikers and hikers.

Passed under this hiway bridge.

Before long came to the "washout." Got off to check it out. Does not look to bad. I took my bike in without removing any luggage. (Turned out to be a bad idea)

The first half to the small wooden bridge was fairly easy.

Got around the corner near the wood bridge and started up the steep and narrow part.

Got about half way up and got stuck between the rack face and the rail fence. Had to power my way up and in the process had to slip the clutch more than I should of. Made it through okay and thought I was clear.

Took the side bags off of the wifes bike and the trip through on that bike was fairly easy and uneventful.

After loading her side bags back on we went to take off and I realized my clutch was toast. I could only give it a little power before the clutch would begin to slip. Stopped and took out all the adjustment in my clutch cable and even with some free play, the clutch would still slip. Nursed it down the trail. Hope we can at least get to a paved road. could see the highway, but it was a long ways down from the rail trail. One last picture from the rail trail.

Came to a paved road crossed the rail trail. Had to go through a small gate. Was holding the gate open for my wife to ride through and a car with a Mt. bike pulled up and told me motorcycles were not allowed on the trail. I looked across the paved road and there was a sign saying no motorized use allowed, but there was no sign on the end we came out on. I pointed that out to the person and said that I could see the trail across the road was posted as closed to motorized, but called BS on the section of trail we just rode. His response was that he was going to have to post new signs. So I am even more confused as to what the law really says about motorized use on the trail. In any case, with my clutch shot, we were done with trails and was not even sure if we could make it back across the boarder. Got on the pavement and headed right towards the boarder crossing. Had to go very easy on the throttle to keep the clutch from slipping and could barely make it up the hills. Did make it to the boarder. Got back in the USA without incident. Did not want to be stuck in Canada with a broken down bike.

Checked the map and Kettle Falls was about 30 miles away. Hit the road to see if we could make it that far. The further we got, the worse it got, but made it to Kettle Falls and found a motel for the wife to stay in while I went to go get the truck. Left my wife at the motel with my almost dead bike and rode her bike non-stop (except for one gas stop) the 300 miles to our home. Was very tired when I got home. Called my wife to let her know I make it home safe and that I would be leaving very early in the morning in the truck to pick her and my bike up. Told her I would try to be there by 9 am or so. Was heading to bed and my work called and wanted me to come in to fix an emergency problem. My work is 45 minutes away (one way.) I take care of the electronics systems for a State prison. One of the fairly critical systems had failed and I am the only one that could fix it. I told them I was to tired to drive in right then, but the in a few hours I had to drive almost to Canada and would drive right by the prison and if they could wait a few hours, I would stop on my way by and fix their problem. Either that of they could wait until my next regular work day (tomorrow)
and fix it then. They took me up on my offer to stop on my way by. A few hours of sleep and I was up and on the road towards Kettle Falls WA. I stopped by the prison and was able to fix their problem in just a few minutes. (I get a minimum of 4 hours pay for any call in so I paid for my diesel to drive up and back by doing just a few minutes work) Left Umatilla OR (where the prison is located) just after 4 am and made it to Kettle Falls before 9 am. Got the bike loaded and we were on our way home by 9:15. Not the way we wanted to end a riding trip, but at least were were home safe.

Anyway Lycan1, got a little off subject. Want your opinion on the signs we saw and what the biker said about the trails being closed to motorcycles. Hope to ride more of the trail in the future. Sound like we should bring our dual sports as opposed to the V-Stroms if we ride the KVR again. Would really like to ride it with you or some other local that knows more of what the laws really say as opposed to just two people from a foreign country riding on what may or may not be legal.
650x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #42
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Hey 650X, I am sorry to hear about your clutch, any bike trouble on a trip is lousy! As far as the section that you were on; Castlegar to Christina Lake. Some of it is "Multi Use" some is not. As you know the sign that you posted was at the Christina Lake end. I saw that after I rode that section, and it is fairly new. I am not surprised that a mountain biker (in his car) would get nasty about a motor bike on the trail. If they had their way they would like to have it (the KVR) and all the paved roads to themselves. I have yet to find a government website that lays out where and where not that bikes are allowed. Until I do I will continue to use the KVR, discreatly and courteously (toward other users, regardless of there mode of propulsion). It would be nice if they would to.

If you want to ride a few of the sections that ARE FOR SURE OK for bikes; Naramata to Chute Lake to the West boundry of Bellevue Provincial Park. Faulder (just west of Summerland) to Princeton. Princeton to Brookmere (through Coalmont and Tulameen). No one will bother you and the signs support what I am telling you.

Any Bike with paniers will have trouble at the washout, or any bike that is wider than a KLR (on the bottom end). Considering what you were riding you were lucky to make it up the south side. I know exactly which spot gave you trouble, my foot pegs folded up as I went through it.

By the way, Great shot of the inside of the long tunnel. It looks MUCH drier than when we went through it.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 08:39 PM
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #43
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1
We came out at a wide gravel (Oakangan Falls) road. Knowing the Myra Canyon and Bellevue Park were strictly off limits, we turned left (west) and followed the signs for Penticton about 69 km. It connects with Beaverdell road and Carmi road above Penticton.
Nice report Lycan1: It was great to learn some more about the eastern end of the KVR.

I hope you don't mind, but I have some information on the central part of the KVR that I would like to add. The KVR roadbed is open from the OK Falls road down to Myra Station (the East end of Myra Canyon) and last year I rode the route from June Springs Rd (the West end of the canyon) to Naramata.

It is through the canyon itself that motorized travel is prohibited. This is good thing as there is a large amount of bicycle and foot traffic through there. I knew there was a bypass route above Myra Canyon so last Saturday I set off to explore it.

The bypass is unmarked at Myra Station but very well marked at June Springs Rd.

Here is a track I recorded of the bypass.

While a there are a few rough hills, most of the route looks like the following picture. Fairly easy riding.

At the Little White Mountain trailhead, the road swings down to Pooley Creek. I'm not sure where one would find "raging waters" up here, but there are a few small creeks to cross, all with bridges.

The Pooley Creek Bridge is suitable for motorcycles or Quads, but is too narrow for vehicles.

You get some nice views of the trestles from above at several points around the bypass.

I didn't see another soul on the road, although the parking lots at both ends of the canyon were pretty crowded. You will however have to watch for close encounters of the Cow kind.

Again, thanks for the report, well done.

Wayne
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #44
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Thanks Wayne,

If I had known that the Bypass could have got us through we surely would have done it. Any additional information is welcome as it will help any future adventurers to have a more complete trip. Thanks for including the map. At some point I will have to join the GPS crowd as they are very usefull for backroading. Dave6 showed me the Canada Topo map on his GPS and it clearly shows the KVR, marked as "abandoned" and it looked very acurate from the reference points that I checked out.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #45
dave6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Good to meet you Lycan1, and thanks for the great info session the other night. I purchased the book from MEC on Sunday and it is also very informative. So along with this great ride report of yours and the other fellas we should have no problem this week. Thanks again and good to meet you.