User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
martyman5000 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Trip to Nashville (didn't make it)

My trip to Nashville (didn't make it all the way)

I'm home and even though I did not make it to my destination I'm a much more confident rider.

Wednesday. I left my house in the morning and by late afternoon I quickly realized I was going to freeze and stopped at a work uniform store in a small town in Ontario and bought the tough duck overalls, Very nice sales ladies. Late Wednesday afternoon I knew I was in trouble when it started getting very dark and in my search for a Walmart got lost in a nice area of Detroit. Got my bearings back and then headed in the right direction and got nailed by the thunder and rain and had to get a crappy motel in a not nice area...I made the best of it and it did have a Wendy's sharing the parking lot

I had originally wanted to camp the first night and was a half day behind because of being cold, buying my coveralls and then the storm in Detroit. I woke up in the crappy motel very early and headed out. I passed the camp grounds that I was going to stay athttp://goo.gl/maps/pm3Bj I rode and into the eye of the Devil, where I should have turned around and didn't. I was riding through the Ohio valley http://goo.gl/maps/mongz and twice I was stopped by people (once in a major intersection) panicked people told me that there was a Hurrican warning sirens the night before and I was riding into a possible storm also in the day...I literally rode for 4 hours pushed to the side and could max out at 80km per hour...My neck was so sore and I was so tired that again I did not want to camp even though I did waste time in the morning finally shopping at the only Walmart that I saw the whole trip.

Part 3 I could not make it to the next State park and I was exhausted from fighting the wind in Ohio. It was so hot in Cincinnati I saw people riding motorcycles with t-shirts, shorts and no helmets and I had my full winter gear on, I must have looked insane. I had so many people come over and say they liked my bike and asked where I was going, everyone was very nice. I stopped later at a Mcdonald (that I relied on for wifi) and updated my GPS map and was told that I should go downtown and see Cincinatti. I tried to get a Hotel room and found it was far too expensive and was also told to try a few places in the city that took me to the worst parts of town. Cincinnati is not a nice looking town at all...I had gone to see the Ferry and went back and took it across into Kentucky, town called Covington. The Motel was reasonable and met some people and got some great food, slept much better that night.

Part 4 Again that night they had a storm and I had to make the decision to keep going or head back. I was watching the weather about flooding mixed with the updates of the Boston bombing suspects. I really wanted to push on and things that I had brought just didn't work well and made the trip very difficult. My new boots started to fall apart even though I water proofed them. My iphone GPS was just too much work to keep checking to make sure it was taking me to the right destination, I stopped to check it too many times. I also was spending more money on having to stay in Motels so I decided to head back and stay at the Hayes camp ground that I originally was going to stay in heading down. I went into a park that was pretty much empty. I was riding around it and I saw a red pick up go to a small cottage and stop. A family of three rented the cottage and the first thing he said was "You going to camp, if you are come and hang with us" and I did and had a great time until the evening. I got into my tent and after a few hours I could hear stuff falling on my tent and it got very, very cold. I had to put on my full riding gear inside my sleeping bag to make it through the night and I think I might have had 3 hours sleep.

Part 5 I had gone into town the evening before and purchased some food and superglue for my boots, so the heel would not fall off. I had the worst sleep ever trying to stay warm and headed home at around 6 am, it was slightly dark saw lots of deer and icy conditions so I had to go somewhat cautiously. I made it to Detroit again and got lost again in the same area and believe its something to do with the GPS at a certain place, should have know and was just too tired to pay attention. I kept thinking it would warm up and it never did so I decided to take the 401 home from Sarnia and it was then that I realized that I really wasn't bothered by the Highway at all, I was just looking forward to being home, warm and comfortable...

I met so many nice people along the way mainly because they either liked the bike and what I was doing or out of concern for my safety.

The last night I was in the Motel a guy was super drunk and kept asking the desk clerk how to set up the wifi in his room and I was offered to come up to to smoke cigars drink whisky and play PS3 with him...LOL I told him that I was exhausted and would have to pass. I'm tired, my neck is super sore from being pushed by the wind coming and going through the Ohio valley twice and the stupid wind on the 401 today so tonight I will relax and maybe plan a few shorter trips for the summer in Canada. (you could smoke on the top floor of the building)...unreal.

Never once did I have a problem with my Bike...had the hotel desk clerk hold my bike to the side as I spun the wheel to oil the chain. I will admit that its a very tough bike to handle in windy situations, but it can be done : )

I will try and do this trip maybe in the fall...save up for a proper GPS, boots and more dry bags. Dry bags really were a life saver also.

This is roughly the route I took ( I used the Anderson Ferry to get to Covington Kentucky)

http://goo.gl/maps/QyImG

(Slide show)...

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/ma...to%20Nashville

martyman5000 screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 07:09 AM
martyman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
Sometimes

its all the ride and not the destination. You'll never forget this trip! I'm sitting inside watching the Music City Marathon finish in the rain that has been constant since the sun went down yesterday.

Been a tough spring for riding but better days are coming.

Cheers!

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Sounds like a good attempt. Sorry to hear you didn't reach your intended destination, but relieved to hear that wasn't due to an accident, injury, illness, or broken bike. Knowing when to call it off rather than keep trying to force through an unfavorable situation is a difficult skill to come by. Trying to push too far with bad weather or inadequate gear for conditions can lead to a post in Face Plant rather than Day Trippin'.

Don't dwell on the fact that you didn't get there, rather enjoy the facts that a) you tried a roadtrip from a northerly place early into the "riding season" / during somewhat unpredictable spring weather, and b) you learned what worked and didn't work about your gear, so you can address deficiencies in this for future rides. Every ride is a new challenge. If they were all guaranteed to be successful, there wouldn't be much "adventure" about it, would there?

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 02:49 PM
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
martyman5000 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldntn View Post
its all the ride and not the destination. You'll never forget this trip! I'm sitting inside watching the Music City Marathon finish in the rain that has been constant since the sun went down yesterday.

Been a tough spring for riding but better days are coming.

Cheers!
Thanks guys...Ya I kept watching the weather if I had of kept going and would have ran into more rain and I was just not equipped for it and off an on nights of 3 hours or less sleep was just too dangerous.
martyman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
A+ for the effort and result.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote