Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #136
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Yo, Greg,

You didn't try to over do it i hope, we are anxiously awaiting more uploads :-)
No, didnt try and over do it mate..
I have had the GoPro for a few months but have never come to terms with the video editing and uploading.. They are a very big file (about 800mb for 8mins) and are in a real P.I.T.A format that must be converted to mov or avi or similar before you can do anything with it..

My tech guy is working on a method (and associated software) that I can adopt as a standard workflow because I have a lot of these tings that I want to get up on my website as well as here.

Greg.

P.S - I put the front indicators on last night and will post up a story later.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #137
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,915
Professional reviwers...
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2218/M...irst-Ride.aspx

Quote:
The Super Tenere strikes an attractive pose against the Saharan sands, but our initial ride indicates that this touring machine is more comfortable on the pavement.

Send 'em the link son....

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #138
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Professional reviwers...

Cheers
Graham
I have a contact in Yamaha and last weekend he went riding with an ex enduro champ who currently owns a new 1200 GS and they compared the bikes back to back and the 1200 GS owner was very surprised with the S10 and thought the S10 was a superior bike off road and the GS better on road but the margins were very close.

The biggest issue with not being able to switch off the ABS is you do not have the ability to use the rear brake to help slide / steer the rear of the bike into a corner but this would only affect a very small percentage of riders.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #139
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the info..

They are a comparable bike, I just find it interesting the difference between what people who own them and have ridden them alongside other bikes say, VS what some reviewers come out with.

A few assumptioins seem to made by reviewers instead of just finding out.

Or it's the advertising dollar talking as well and/Or the sportsbike bias and/OR..Whatever.

Cheers
Graham
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #140
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Professional reviwers...

Cheers
Graham

Once again I feel that these kind of articles are mostly BS.
"It is more for the road than for the off road" ? but the only reference to off roading is that it is to heavy for the sand, Really ? a 1200 CC heavy for sand? you don't say. what about the simple type of riding most of these bikes are meant to do? not a word.
Also, "the Multi is ridiculously powered but the ST is not enough". AAAA you mean that the good old GS is exactly right!!
Well I am coming up from a 660 single and I have a feeling that for me it will be plenty of power.
And what about cost of parts, fuel consumption and service costs - Nada.
But ho yes a chrome pipe, that is very important and should effect my decision to buy the bike - Come on.....!
I am sorry but Old Git Ray and Wasp give me a much better picture of what this bike can do and both of them seem to me fair and unbiased enough to give real input. I rather have them informing me than a bunch of people that are coming of a Honda CBR 1000 RR and then the next week telling me that a 1200 CC 110 HP bike feels like it has no power and it will be to weak to ride 2 up unless you are married to a super model.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #141
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig

Once again .... I rather have them informing me than a bunch of people that are coming of a Honda CBR 1000 RR and then the next week telling me that a 1200 CC 110 HP bike feels like it has no power and it will be to weak to ride 2 up unless you are married to a super model.
Don't worry, MCN said that about the 990 KTM as well.

I can just imagine them reveiwing 4WD's.

Too heavy, not enough top end, suspension is too primative....

Cheers
Graham
Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 AM   #142
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm
I have a contact in Yamaha and last weekend he went riding with an ex enduro champ who currently owns a new 1200 GS and they compared the bikes back to back and the 1200 GS owner was very surprised with the S10 and thought the S10 was a superior bike off road and the GS better on road but the margins were very close.
Yep, off-road the Telelever has a big disadvantage, it cant cope with boulders as it cant move back to give the forks time to climb it, so you effectively "brake" a little before fork goes up and over.

Thats whu the HP2 has conventional forks.

Quote:
The biggest issue with not being able to switch off the ABS is you do not have the ability to use the rear brake to help slide / steer the rear of the bike into a corner but this would only affect a very small percentage of riders.
Then you could learn to do it SM style to do it by shifting down, and use the engine braking, if you havent enough in normal braking.

But with TC off you've got ample torque to let it slide without any braking, "Use the Force Luke"

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #143
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
No, didnt try and over do it mate..
I have had the GoPro for a few months but have never come to terms with the video editing and uploading.. They are a very big file (about 800mb for 8mins) and are in a real P.I.T.A format that must be converted to mov or avi or similar before you can do anything with it..

My tech guy is working on a method (and associated software) that I can adopt as a standard workflow because I have a lot of these tings that I want to get up on my website as well as here.

Greg.

P.S - I put the front indicators on last night and will post up a story later.
Well i don't want to sound like pushing, but i have to wait another 2 weeks on my own, so could you push the tech guy a little, çause your animated stories are a boon !

btw, may i tap into collective ADVknowledge, you lurkers?
Isn't there something like ACDsee to batch convert Vids, to help Wasp post some more Livefeeds ?

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #144
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
...Converter
In the main XT1200z thread..(trying to keep this for Gregs stuff)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3283
Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #145
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,266
Aside from journos being daft, they do have one unsurmountable problem.
They can never give a real opinion on a bike as the will never have to source parts or pay for servicing.
This will only ever allow them to give half of the picture. I have already saved myself about £200 in servicing costs (on my previous 09 GSA). BMW do not provide free 1st service. I remember asking why the 1st service was not free and the answer was from the "they all do that sir" book of excuses. My next service (6000 mile) will cost me just the materials, probably about £50 and an hour of my time. My 6000 mile BMW service cost me over £300 and I had to take it to the dealer to get the SERVICE light on the dash to go out.
Another bonus is that you do not have to be mechanically minded to do it either. The sump guard (metal one) does not even need to be removed.
I recall the UK MCN stating that the exhaust note was important. Can I see their point - er no.
I suppose I could buy a GS-911 (a tool that links a PC etc to the BMW GS) for £300 - £550 to remove the SERVICE sign - or I could buy a Yamaha - Oh, I already have....

I have to confess, I bought my BMW under duress, I needed a bike of that size to transport SWAMBO and I around the world and at the time the Yamaha was just a roumour. Had I known that it was actually at the testing stage (when I bought the BMW) I would have waited and bought the Yamaha regardless as I have a bias (unlike WASP) for them. In fairness to the BMW I did enjoy riding it, it was far too big for me and I spent a lot of money on it protecing the bits that needed covering up, (like the TPS sticking out of the left hand side). I liked the power delivery of the BMW engine, especially after fitting a device to richen the mixture at low revs, I even managed an unintentional wheelie in third when exiting from a roundabout on an empty tank, but I prefer the Yam for 2 up stuff as it is much better for smooth riding. I doubt the Yam will wheelie the same as the centre of gravity is much lower. Although I only had it for 10 months, it was always reliable except the extra light switch which they wanted £52 to replace - I bodge fixed it myself !
I suppose, apart from my obvious bias, that the BMW peed me off for the servicing costs and the amount that needed to be spent on it to make it rideable for me.
I have noticed since the change that when BMW riders wave they stop halfway when they realise that the bike with the extra spolights on is not a BMW..

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 04:08 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #146
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
any of the usual suspects make crash bars for these yet ??

or are the Yamaha ones the only ones available
Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #147
yfis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother

idem for panniers en exhaust !

Has WASP allready modified that exhaust ?

yfis screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 07:02 AM
yfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #148
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfis
Has WASP allready modified that exhaust ?
Not yet..
Still waiting on my side panniers to rock up.
I will install the panniers first and see that it is OK to remove the silver plastic and heatshield.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #149
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Not yet..
Still waiting on my side panniers to rock up.
I will install the panniers first and see that it is OK to remove the silver plastic and heatshield.

Greg.
Where are you getting them from ???

AFAIK Metal Mule (UK) are the only ones making S10 frames fo their boxes so far.

I know this as I am waiting for my set to be produced - first order.
This is a bike that Yamaha lent them for design purposes with the prototype rack and pannier frames at the HU meet at Ripley UK.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 07:33 AM
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #150
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother

Metal Mule (UK) are looking at it as we speak - see above.