Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #2086
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Woody from Woody's Wheel Works is currently working on a 21" front and 18" wheel replacement which should be ready in the not too distant future. We should be testing soon.
I am confident that 21" with a 90 section tire would make this thing killer in the dirt.

Greg.
Thanks!. I didn't see any information in his web.
I agree with you, shame Yamaha don`t built a true Adventure version with better suspensions, and these size of wheels.
But how can it works in road?
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #2087
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Woody from Woody's Wheel Works is currently working on a 21" front and 18" wheel replacement which should be ready in the not too distant future. We should be testing soon.
I am confident that 21" with a 90 section tire would make this thing killer in the dirt.

Greg.
I would be interested in this, as I have been wanting two wheel setups, one dirt, and one street. Good news for sure!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #2088
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I would be interested in this, as I have been wanting two wheel setups, one dirt, and one street. Good news for sure!
The problem to use easily these two setups is you have to make a lot of modifications to do if you want the 21" wheel: front fender, front brake hoses(?), centre stand extension... so I doubt we change the wheels often, dont you think?.
In order to do something more simple to increase the floor clearance I don't know if we can do anything to rise the front of the bike and put some links in the back. What do you think?.
Sorry perhaps I have to put these questions in the general forum??
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #2089
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Hi again
Finally I decided change the GSA for the S10. I use it for 90% on off road and I am convinced the Yamaha is better in it.
Do you think if we put the link in the rear suspension the transmission (cardan?) could suffered with the different angle?
My idea is try first only with the 3,5 cm link and if is necessary change the wheels.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #2090
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hi again
Finally I decided change the GSA for the S10. I use it for 90% on off road and I am convinced the Yamaha is better in it.
Do you think if we put the link in the rear suspension the transmission (cardan?) could suffered with the different angle?
My idea is try first only with the 3,5 cm link and if is necessary change the wheels.
Hi jaumev.
I manufacture 1" raising links (wouldn't go much shorter) and distribute them through motorradgarage: http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...oducts_id=1160
The price shown is including Aussie 10% gst which is removed for export. Contact mike at info@motorradgarage.com.au

I have been using links on my bike for about 12000kms now and would not be without them. I never had a problem with "casing out" prior to installing the links but I was riding a bit easier then as I identified that as a "must-do-mod" and got straight onto them. Certainly haven't had a ground problem since.

I did have a set of Heidenau's fitted for about 6000kms - 140 rear instead of 150 rear, and 100 front instead of 110 front... Made a HUGE difference to how the bike handled in the dirt. Much more direct and less floaty than the larger knobbies.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809

Wasp screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 04:12 AM
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #2091
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Greg, thanks for the answer

We are a group of crazy guys using GS to cross Spain, Portugal, Morocco… always on the dirt and better if it's a difficult track. www.transiberica.info
Yamaha Spain gives me the opportunity to try a whole day a ST because they want me to use it in our next trip.
During the test I realize the main problem for my use is the ground clearance, I’m afraid they need to change the skid plate after my ride, it was destroyed!! I know some people can say “these bikes are not for that” but we like these kind of challenges.
My GSA with enlarged Technoflex suspension it’s about 2” higher than the ST. It is also a bit shorter between axles and even like this sometimes I get stuck. That’s why I’m not sure its going to be enough with your raising links.
Any suggestion?
Thank you very much
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #2092
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Any suggestion?
Thank you very much
KTM ?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #2093
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
KTM ?
Good suggestion.... but i think it needs a renoval, and Yamaha makes me a very good offer.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #2094
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
You can add a proper bashplate to the S10, like the SW Motech or the H&B ones. They can take an uge beating and act as a sliding base
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #2095
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
You can add a proper bashplate to the S10, like the SW Motech or the H&B ones. They can take an uge beating and act as a sliding base
Yes, it is essential. The OEM bashplate it’s just decorative.

Tomorrow I give my old GSA to the new owner and I hope next week to have the S10.
I’m thinking to buy Wasp’s raising links and see if with this is enough.
Later perhaps I’m going to try the 21” front wheel, it’s better in off road and raises 1” the bike.
Do you think It’s ok a combination of 21” front wheel with the original rear 17" if I have the links?

Greg, what about the high guard? Are you thinking in commercialiced? It looks great!

jaumev screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 02:52 AM
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #2096
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you think Its ok a combination of 21 front wheel with the original rear 17" if I have the links?

Greg, what about the high guard? Are you thinking in commercialiced? It looks great!
Your suggestions seem to work OK..

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #2097
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
21'' wheels for Super Tenere...

hi greg and the rest of you,,,

regarding the front wheel,,,it sounds like the need for the Traction monitoring sensor ring is not a big deal to some of you and to others it is..perhaps some feedback is in order....

FYI,,,we originally thought we'd just use the Supelite hubs developed for the HP-2 and GS 1200 seies bikes with a disc adapter kit there's a possibility it won't fly because the bolt circles and number of bolts ktm [6 on 145 versus yamaha 5 on 150mm] may just over-lap each other...

the Superlite I hubs were developed to get the lightest disc/hub package ..converting the disc to a KTM-950 with Galfer wavy/floating rotors turned up the best/lightest combination especially when combined with the Galfer green pads...

if most of you want to save $$$ and re-use your oem discs,,well it would be aesthetically and technically simpler to use the basis of the Superlite I hub and widen it 10 mm and use the yamaha 5 x150mm BC ..

OBTW does anyone know what diameter/pitch of the disc mounting bolts are???,,,i would assume 8mmx1.25 or 6mmx1..

the wheel would similar to this.... a 1.85 double sig Excel we could go narrower ,,my experience is that the 1.85 is better all around

please give me some feedback...
holler ,woody

PS,,hope this doesn't qualify as spam,,if it does i'll delete immediately and move it to vendor section
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 08:21 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #2098
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

I just see the post as useful problem solving.

Thanks from me. Good to see some of the Niche stuff coming along.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #2099
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Woody, for me--the traction control in the 17/19 setup is important--however, if I was doing riding that required the 21" then I'd have it switched off--not necessary from my seat.

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #2100
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Wasp, Im not sure this is the right post to talk about this, if not please tell us and I open a new one in the general forum. Thanks.

Woody, the combination of my bad english and limited technical knowledge makes me difficult to understand your answer but I think you mean a 21 wheel disabled the traction control?. If yes, its a pity. I was very impressed how it works in the S10. I dont like electronics but in this case it really works well even in the dirt.

Graham, the S10 form Francesco Catanese its great but what a budget!! Only the suspensions must cost a fortune. I like it a lot but its too radical for me, also I prefer two front discs Pity Yamaha dont built a R version more dirt orientated instead a bunch of stickers like the Worldcrosser. But i also like to fly with big cows: this photo was taken in a motor show near Barcelona last year, whe had a great time: 10 BMW GS with old guys jumping full gas!!