Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #46
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Highly informative posts and great pics! Thank you

Hey Greg,

Given your fabrication expertise, do you think you could fabricate some sort of rail that mounts to the windshield mounts on the bike on one side and to the windshield on the other, permitting riders to adjust the screen up or down by loosening a lever or a thumb screw? I think Wunderlich has something similar for the 1200GS.

You'd have to design some sort of adjustable rail that fits into the bike's existing windshield mounts. Sounds easy huh?

I have had a few thoughts on that front and will certainly be coming up with an add-on/accessory that will allow rapid tool-less adjustment of the windscreen.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #47
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Hey Greg,

I have the impression that you have a bit to do with Ducati's.

Did you go for a spin on the Multi at all?

Cheers
Graham
I have manufactured and sold Ducati parts through my website www.waspworks.com for quite a while now and the Yamaha is a new blank canvas for me to get into component manufacture in the D/S market.
I will manufacture engine protection/crash bars + sump guards + auxiliary light kits and even a high front fender kit.
I do, and will, also manufacture parts and accessories for other marque's and will expand the product range and my web site in the very near future.

This is a BMW GSA light guard that I just finished in joint venture with www.motorradgarrage.com.au we have called this company MotorradWorks hence the MW insignia that will be seen on all products.

No, I did not ride the Multi and did not want to.
I dont see it as enough of a dual sport bike.. More a touring bike. Its a shame though because I was offered one at dealer cost so would have saved a lot of money

This is the Tenere's stable-mate..

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 11:04 PM
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #48
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Noice, both of them :)

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #49
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn
Mmmmmm...... very nice....
+1........Very Very nice mate.

You must be happy with your purchase, got to love those accessories as well.
The accessories appear to be extremely well made..and thanks for the
progressive report that you have done to date....
Cheers.

Johnnie

Ten10
obe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #50
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01
+1........Very Very nice mate.

You must be happy with your purchase, got to love those accessories as well.
The accessories appear to be extremely well made..and thanks for the
progressive report that you have done to date....
Cheers.

Johnnie

Ten10
To say I am happy with my purchase is an understatement, and a level of happiness that has taken me by surprise quite honestly.. I absolutely love the way this bike does what it does.
Case in point - I have a 2009(?) BMW GSA at home at the moment (just here so I can measure it to manufacture some parts). I have wheel it and ridden it back and forth from the garage to the back patio, on and off the elevating work platform, and even ridden it and the Yamaha down the front of the property (gravel track) today for some photos. * Check my upcoming pictorial comparison BMW and S10 side by side.
I can honestly say:
The BMW is a great deal heavier (perceived if not actual) than the Yamaha to wheel around by hand, to balance while riding slow, to get on and of the center stand, and, I even find it spooky to get on and off the BMW without the side stand down... I mean, just pull up and put your left leg down and balance the bike while you get off... The bloody thing always feels like its going to topple over.

I very carefully researched the BMW before taking the plunge with the Yamaha.
I was fortunate enough to have a demo GSA for a full weekend and did 700+kms on it. And I did honestly thoroughly enjoy it.
I am also fortunate enough to have a good friend (Brad) who is a salesman at a great local Yamaha dealership (Highway Yamaha Midland Western Australia).
I had the funds to purchase which ever adventure bike I liked and I did look (briefly at some) at everything from the KTM's to Kawies and BMW to Yamaha.

In a twisted sort of way I have really enjoyed the fact that the bike came without all the accessories fitted (or even in stock) as it has given me the excuse to pull shit off and fit shit on..
Yes, they are all good quality components and I am enjoying bringing these pictorial reviews to you guys.

On a side note:
Who cares if the BMW is slightly more hp, or the foot pegs of Brand"X" bike have built in massagers, or that you can fit a full case of Corona's in the top box of Marque"Y"??? There seams to be a lot of BMW owners who feel they need to justify the reasons why they own a beemer..
As I said, I had the opportunity to buy both bikes and I chose this one and I dont think i'll be spending to much time justifying it.

Greg
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #51
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Fitted crash bars/engine bars last night.

I wasn't going to fit these bars as I have every intention of manufacturing my own style to suit the Super Ten.
I purchased them with the bike and had them sitting in the shed so I decided to stick them on just to get some ideas of how they fit and mounting points etc..

As I may have mentioned before, the instruction sets that are supplied with all of these accessories are just cartoon drawings with no written words.
It makes me feel really good about the instruction sheets I send out with all of my products.

The first hurdle (took a bit of time to work it out) was the main bolt for the front/top tubular frame.
I finally worked out that in order to remove the main faring retaining bolt you simply turn the handle bars to left hand steering lock... There is no need to start completely dismantling the top triple and ignition block

Next was the captive nut underneath the main faring mount. The captive nut needs to be removed to make way for the front/top tubular frame support but the captive nut would not come out and the cartoon directions were not making sense. Until I made an executive decision and simply bent the bottom bracket to release the captive nut.

Next, install the front/top tubular frame support bar into the main faring bracket and away you go.

Remove the plastic factory crash/handle bars from both sides and install the new tubular (very sturdy) engine protection bars.

Install the front joiner bar and the front/top tubular frame and you are good to go.

Makes me wish that I had purchased the auxiliary lights to finish things up... I have another evil plan for the aux lighting though

Looks great and is extremely solid when mounted.
The big (obvious) problem is that it leaves the side faring plates (protruding edge below the Yamaha badge) insufficiently guarded in a fall over. we have probably all seen the pics of the one that went over in a slow speed in the South African review.

I dunno how long it will stay on there for but at least it gives a little protection.

Greg.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #52
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp

I dunno how long it will stay on there for but at least it gives a little protection.

Greg.
Now how much does the bike weigh?

Sorry I just had to ask.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #53
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Pictorial comparison - BMW GSA vs Yamaha Super Tenere.

As I have mentioned before, I have a 2009(?) BMW GSA at home over the last few weeks for the purpose of measurement for manufacturing accessories.

There was a break in the weather today so I decided to ride them both down the front for a bit of a side by side space/size/volume picture comparison.

Both bikes occupy a fair chunk of real-estate but it is not until they are side by side that you can see which one casts the biggest shadow.
The BMW is quite simply a behemoth of a machine and just wheeling it around confirms that it doesn't just look big and heavy - it farken is.

One thing that does stand out in these pics though is the enormous muffler and shrouding on the Yamaha... That has to go.

These bikes are absolutely in line side by side together.
The BMW doesn't look that much bigger than the Yamaha.....

Until you realise that the ground slopes quite considerably to the left and if you change the bikes around.... FARKKK!!! - That thing is huge.
The BMW was not moved in this photo.. Only the Yamaha was shifted to the other side.

Some views just make the Yamaha look Cat-walk-model-thin by comparison.

So.. If you are worried about your mates thinking that you are into riding big fat pigs, pull up beside a GSA all the time.

Greg.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #54
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Now how much does the bike weigh?

Sorry I just had to ask.

Cheers
Graham
Dunno mate but I will weigh it when I am going past a public bridge (and remember).

One thing is for sure, these absolutely do not show their weight.

Greg.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #55
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,992
Hey Greg, what tyres are you running on the Beemer?

Great pics too, they really emphasise just how big the GS's are.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #56
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

I had to drop a lunch box and some paperwork over to the sons house today so I decided it was excuse enough for
a quick ride through the fire trails.
My boy lives around 8km from me, both of us in the Eastern Hills forest area of Perth.
The weather has been quite stormy here so the ground is moist and well watered.. No dust and not alot of mud.

The trail I have shown here is only about 5kms long and very moderate to say the least. It is a good hilly,
twisty ride with quite a lot of rocky out crops with patches of football size rocks were you must keep momentum up
as you dont dare stop and risk putting a foot in a low spot.
Because of the twisty nature and the dense bush that heavily lines these trails you cannot (should not) get up to
break neck speeds for the risk of oncoming 4WD's or other bikes.

These telegraph/fire trails are linking one after another through national forest for hundreds of kilometers around and past my property.

Not too long ago I had a much loved bike called a Yamaha Belgarda TT600.
To me and my style that was the ultimate fire trail bike.. Long travel + high quality suspension, heavy but still very agile, super grunty...
The Super Tenere does not feel too different from that bike on these trails.
With the semi knobby tyres, the long rear swing arm, the super low C of G, and the GOBS of grunt this bike excels in this environment.

Two other things I did notice today:
1/ The linked ABS brakes work VERY WELL when only using the front brake on gravel.
There were times I thought it would be nice to be able to brake the back away, but then a corner approached fast so I just got harder
on the front brakes and quicker on the gas... That got the back end out...

2/ Because of the Lonnng rear swing arm these things are a joy to power slide "feet up".
The rear responds to the slightest body english over the bars and side to side.

Sure, I would have been able to travel the same path a lot faster on a probably 50 other bikes, but the path could not be traveled faster
than I did today on the Super10 and still remained safe.

I had an absolute ball today and would not have wished to be on another bike.

A couple of screensaver/back drop pics if anyone is interested.

P.S - The new tyres feel great. I did not let any pressure out and I am still running them at 40psi rear and 36psi front. The front felt a little wandery in the dirt but I recon that was pressure related.
That and the fact that you cant get far enough over the front with the tank bag on.

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 07-11-2010 at 08:54 AM
Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #57
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave
Hey Greg, what tyres are you running on the Beemer?

Great pics too, they really emphasise just how big the GS's are.
Metzeler Karoo(T).. Front actually has Karoo2(T) on it.
I only had them fitted Friday and have only done the ride today (15 odd kms road and dirt) so I havent formed an opinion yet.

Greg.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #58
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Metzeler Karoo(T).. Front actually has Karoo2(T) on it.
I only had them fitted Friday and have only done the ride today (15 odd kms road and dirt) so I havent formed an opinion yet.

Greg.

If I may...Unless Touring Dave meant Yamaha and typed Beemer in his tire question by mistake, the GSA has the Heidenau K60s and the ST has the Karoos.

I've got a GSA and love it but it may have been a questionable decision had Yamaha had these out at the time. They likely wouldn't sell as many of these as the sportibkes or cruisers but I think they'd sell more than they think they would. Great pics and comparison. You've probably made Yamaha (everywhere except the states ) some sales with your info and direct comparison.

Oh, is there a new skid plate (that actually covers the oil filter) design in the works? Good for mx but a liability otherwise off-road

SCflyer screwed with this post 07-11-2010 at 10:12 AM
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #59
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer
If I may...Unless Touring Dave meant Yamaha and typed Beemer in his tire question by mistake, the GSA has the Heidenau K60s and the ST has the Karoos.

I've got a GSA and love it but it may have been a questionable decision had Yamaha had these out at the time. They likely wouldn't sell as many of these as the sportibkes or cruisers but I think they'd sell more than they think they would. Great pics and comparison. You've probably made Yamaha (everywhere except the states ) some sales with your info and direct comparison.
Thanks for picking that one up SCflyer.. You are indeed correct, the beemer has Heidenau. I obviously didnt read Touring Daves question but because the question was asked "what tyres am I running" and the beemer doesn't belong to me, I assumed, ahh, doesn't mater.
I did infact try to locate some Heidenau's for the Super10 but there are none to be found.. Maybe next time.

Thanks as well for your comments mate. I love reading all this shit and assume that there are like minded peeps out there looking for info.. Especially as there is precious little info and technical data and pics about this bike.. I really dont understand why this is all so hush hush. I too beleive Yamaha will (eventually) sell a shit load of these bikes and I plan on manufacturing and selling a good number of products for them as well

Sooo, im just doing my own publicity, education, and awareness campagne.

Greg.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #60
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Excellent clear pics, thank you. I've wondering if you were at a standstill and had an oh shit moment and gently let the bike drop on its side, will lie on the curved crash bar and keeping the side panels off the ground as the boxer GS does on its cylinder head when it is dropped?

Do you envision making bolt on portion to protect the side panels or do you think you will make an entire crash guard which will also replace the stock one?

As for the cartoon instructions, have you ever had a look at a BMW accessories instruction book? It could make a nice coffee table book, it's that thick, containing instructions in a dozen languages. Just adds to the cost of the product. You'd think Yamaha would at least provide English instructions, but then other nationalities would feel slighted.