Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #676
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Greg, I'm gonna be ordering a few things way before the bike gets to the USA in our spring (your fall). I was looking at Oxford grips but wanted to make sure about the size. I assume it is a 7/8" OEM bar right? Could you or someone with an S10 check the grip length so I will not get an Oxford too short or too long? Thanks in advance. I figure if I order things gradually it will keep the credit cards from becoming radioactive and glow in the dark next May .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #677
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,580
shorter dogbones

have you checked that the shaft can take the extra travel? Is it a telescopic design similar to the BMW? The GSA has longer axle than the GS for that same reason. Just wondering.

mousitsas screwed with this post 10-07-2010 at 10:58 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #678
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower
I assume it is a 7/8" OEM bar right? Could you or someone with an S10 check the grip length so I will not get an Oxford too short or too long?
To short, the original is a complex thing with the Weight partly inside the bar end I cut a little ofthe plastic on the right side and made a new endweight damper contruction with some brass duct couplers and old GS bar end weights.
Otherwise there would be a hidious gap. I used the Hein Gericke version of the Oxford filmswitch controlled grips, by far the hottest in hot and with 4 definit levels the most bang for the buck at 40.

And the controler fits as if its made for it perfectly on the square part on the left of the meters, and behind the middle stay of the headlight support on the headstock is a nice opening to fit the three connectors out of sight and out of spraywater...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #679
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
have you checked that the axle can take the extra travel? Is it a telescopic design similar to the BMW? The GSA has longer axle than the GS for that same reason. Just wondering.
That the most brilliant part of the S10, its looooong, so long it has almost none of the negative driveshaft influence, its 60 cm axle to axle. The gs has a axle to axle lenght of only 36 cm, but makes a even bigger angle because of the two joints. The GS driveschaftneeds the telescope to deal with that, the whole swingarm length from pivot to rearaxle shortens when you increase the travel of it. The S10 has a way smarter solution to cope with torque coupling, *length* and a slightly ofset pignon.

So no trouble at all to increase the travel by a mere 2,5 cm, the cardanic joint hardly moves any extra on such a long driveshaft.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #680
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
That the most brilliant part of the S10, its looooong, so long it has almost none of the negative driveshaft influence, its 60 cm axle to axle. The gs has a axle to axle lenght of only 36 cm, but makes a even bigger angle because of the two joints. The GS driveschaftneeds the telescope to deal with that, the whole swingarm length from pivot to rearaxle shortens when you increase the travel of it. The S10 has a way smarter solution to cope with torque coupling, *length* and a slightly ofset pignon.

So no trouble at all to increase the travel by a mere 2,5 cm, the cardanic joint hardly moves any extra on such a long driveshaft.

Thanks for the info R3B.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #681
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
To short, the original is a complex thing with the Weight partly inside the bar end I cut a little ofthe plastic on the right side and made a new endweight damper contruction with some brass duct couplers and old GS bar end weights.
Otherwise there would be a hidious gap. I used the Hein Gericke version of the Oxford filmswitch controlled grips, by far the hottest in hot and with 4 definit levels the most bang for the buck at 40.

And the controler fits as if its made for it perfectly on the square part on the left of the meters, and behind the middle stay of the headlight support on the headstock is a nice opening to fit the three connectors out of sight and out of spraywater...
Hmmm, OK. I can get either the "sport" or "touring" style for 7/8" bar. I'll just order (about $70 here) and figure out modifications to allow a vista cruise or the like. Thanks.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #682
Bargenator
Bargenator

Oddometer: 168
Greg, has the mods done to the centre stand along with the 25mm raising of the ride height made it easier to get up on the centre stand or same ol' same ol', as I am assuming by doing the mod there would be a bit more weight thrown forward onto the front wheel.

Cheers mate.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #683
Tony R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thanks for the update on the Oxfords. I will get a set when our winter starts in May next year. This is the most informative thread ever.
The Tenere is the most impressive bike I have ever owned and I have left mine completely standard to date other than a Givi E47 top box. With reference to the shaft drive I have to say you never know you riding a shaftie. Did my first offroad ride on Sunday with a group of BMW GS riders. Three went down in the mud because of the torque steer. The Tenere sailed through.
Tony R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #684
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R
The Tenere is the most impressive bike I have ever owned and I have left mine completely standard to date other than a Givi E47 top box. With reference to the shaft drive I have to say you never know you riding a shaftie.
Good to hear another satisfied owner.

Quote:
Did my first offroad ride on Sunday with a group of BMW GS riders. Three went down in the mud because of the torque steer. The Tenere sailed through.
Wait a minute, that simply can't be! We're talking about mighty BMW GS!....'King of the Outback' with superior German engineering and boatloads of 'Character.' Just read any euro rag Are you sure your eyes weren't playing tricks on you. Maybe the ride was just a dream...yeah that would explain it

tremor38 screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 01:24 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #685
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,250
Quote:
Did my first offroad ride on Sunday with a group of BMW GS riders. Three went down in the mud because of the torque steer.
Torque steer? Is the GS FWD?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #686
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Torque steer? Is the GS FWD?

- Mark
No, but it's shaft drive . I'm thinking it had more to do with the shorter wheelbase and more abrupt pwr curve and the more twitchy geometry of the GS
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #687
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Custom muffler install - V2 "Gone carbon straight this time"

Not being happy with the orientation of the bent outlet on the Stainless muffler (had to rotate it to clear), I realized that with a bit of careful aligning I could make a straight outlet exhaust work by passing the gases above the indicator rather than besides or below it.
Another side benefit of the "oval" shape of the muffler is that it obviously does not stick outboard as far as a round unit., and in fact allows considerably more clearance to the tyre as well.

I have also been obsessing with the colour arrangement of pannier boxes and the like and it came to me that the black muffler would probably be less "in-your-face" that the polished stainless.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if only it happened before the fact (foresight) more often than after the fact it would have saved me the hassle of cutting, pressing, and welding the brackets on the silver muffler.
I really dig the look of the carbon and black outlet and am so glad I chose to look further rather than committing to what I had.

I have some delivery deadlines to meet at the start of next week so I probably wont be able to make the tailpipe as soon as I would like, but I will post info on the construction as soon as I am onto it. The delay will actually allow a bit of time to machine and black anodize a knuckle bone style mount for the muffler to frame connection.

Soon after I finish the exhaust I will be setting to work on the fabricated pillion peg carriers to suit this new configuration.

Although I have the full compliment of silver Trax boxes I am still not convinced that is the way to go... Silver is so "out there" while i maintain that black boxes "stealth" things away a bit more. That may well be the case in the future with the carbon muffler on board now.
I may even go down the path of Black Ceramic coating on the exhaust as Barginator has done... I did this on my Ducati SC1000 and was astounded by how much it lowered the radiant heat from the pipes. Much easier to keep clean as well.

Greg.

Wasp screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 02:18 AM
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #688
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
That Black carbon can looks really good. Great work & great thread looking forward to more upgrades.
I'd like a set of them cans on my TDM900.
TAM
Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #689
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
Yes Greg, that's it. This muffler looks fantastic, nothing to do w/ the previous one. Great change !
Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #690
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Must be a different Sub frame on the World Crosser and also the fact it does not need a pillion so the Akro is mounted further forward and higher.

Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote