Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #91
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Yep.. All fair comments and very fair call..
As I have said, I am probably remiss in not comparing the S10 to the GS rather than the GSA but my intentions were not to deceive or portray any misinformation,, I simply was not interested in the GS so comparison to that bike were not on the mind.

I dunno if you get my point, but the thing is, I only ride this bike, I dont sleep with it or have any deep rooted feelings for it. It's just a bike and if it has a bad day, you will probably hear about it.. At the moment though, it has'nt had any bad days

Greg.
I don't think people read very well, You have, and I know I have stated on your behalf, why you were comparing against the GSA but all to no end.

As far a I see it, and definitely correct me if I am wrong cause I don't want to upset anyone, but the S10 should be compared, in Australia in case anyone missed where this thread came from, to an optioned up GS.

And that would be fair enough, but it is not directly comparable to a BOG STANDARD GS regards specs etc.

As far as I understand it, at the risk of repeating myself again, you were looking at a GSA and decided to save yourself a pile of cash and miss out on a 30L tank, ESA, and ?? Can you fill in the missing parts.

The other way of looking at it would have been take a standard GS and add from the option list..

Now when I finally give in and decide to go for a look see, I will definitely be repeating the KTM, BMW comparo from a few years back and adding Ducati and this YAMAHA to the list. I already have a Strom so there are the contenders. The only thing I can't do on a test ride (going from experience) is bash anything through the mud and dirt, throw it down the track, and ride it for 50,000km to see if the back end falls off (or breaks in half or catches fire or leaks).

This is why I read stuff like this and appreciate every thing Greg and others have done.

So thank you Greg and everyone else who have contributed to Greg's thread and back to the scheduled program ....

[/rant]

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 08:50 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #92
cul8rr
busa no more

Oddometer: 97
By the way, I have dropped the S10 and in a downhill laying position that saw the handlebars at a lower level than the wheels.

Damn.....
Did a similar thing today.. Dropping it that is.....
about walking pace, soft corrugations about a foot high going through some bush. Had a dumb arse moment, pulled the clutch in to stop, placed the left foot down to thin air and over we go.....
With the current condition of my back I wasn't prepared to cop the shock of even trying to catch it so eased it down as good as I could.
Fearing the worse after reading about all the possible damage to the radiator..
There was some large rocks around that only made contact with the crankcase and the plastic guard at the lower edge of the painted panel and the handlebar.
Total damage is 3 (minor) scratches ot the crankcase, A couple of marks on the plastic guard and I had to re adjust the mirror (unbroken)
Down time was about 10 minutes debating whether to risk popping a disc back out or not. In the end being 50k's from home and the nearest town 25k's away I took the option to get it up myself.
Grabbed the bar and took a few attempts at first (worrying about my back) Once I thought there was no worries it came up rather easily(thankfully)
Fired it up and off I went with eyes like dinner plates hoping I don't go through that again haha....

Just watched the movie clip.... excellent, a bit out of my league at the moment though haha. Good to see a taste of the potential of it

cul8rr screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 11:46 PM
cul8rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #93
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8rr

Just watched the movie clip.... excellent, a bit out of my league at the moment though haha. Good to see a taste of the potential of it
Well, having watched it a few times, I think if I tried that on the Strom, at that speed, there would have been much banging and clunking from the front, although I managed a similar roads, but a fair bit slower, owing to lack of both talent and suspension travel.
It was a good camera position though for checking the bikes behavior.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #94
JJMTCHNV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanx Wasp, All the info on the s-10 is much appreciated. Great pic's. & props to you for tearen it open so quickly. Cant get enough info/pics of this bike. If it where available here I would have traded the FZ in by now.
JJMTCHNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #95
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Hey MR WASP,

Great ride yesterday, and I'm suitably impressed with what the S10 can manage.As i said before I thought you were punting it along a little too quick given the size of the bike, but it took it all and went everywhere.

That video doesn't seem to reflect the conditions of the terrain, but you do get an idea from the travel of the front forks. I know i was watching the top box go from above the horizon to below it on a number of occasions.
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #96
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrds
Hey MR WASP,

Great ride yesterday, and I'm suitably impressed with what the S10 can manage.As i said before I thought you were punting it along a little too quick given the size of the bike, but it took it all and went everywhere.

That video doesn't seem to reflect the conditions of the terrain, but you do get an idea from the travel of the front forks. I know i was watching the top box go from above the horizon to below it on a number of occasions.
Hey old man.. Good to see you make an appearance.
Yes twas indeed a great ride. I had'nt thrown a leg over a bike in the dirt for mannnnny years and surprisingly, did not get up too sore this morning.

I may just go without any boxes next ride as I am sure it will be considerably less pendulum effect with nothing sticking two foot in the air and hanging backwards.

I am just about to post up one of the forward facing video's from your bike in the next hour or so.

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #97
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Hey old man.. Good to see you make an appearance.
Yes twas indeed a great ride. I had'nt thrown a leg over a bike in the dirt for mannnnny years and surprisingly, did not get up too sore this morning.

I may just go without any boxes next ride as I am sure it will be considerably less pendulum effect with nothing sticking two foot in the air and hanging backwards.

I am just about to post up one of the forward facing video's from your bike in the next hour or so.

Greg.
Cool, i think it shows the little lay down when you ran outta legs?
And that's what we all wanna see CARNAGE !!

You can get your own back if you show the wheelies
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #98
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
This thread was supposed to be about Wasp showing us what's he's doing with his XT12Z, and field some questions, but it's been slowly turning into another cluttered SuperTenere thread... maybe it's time to prune and punt to the big S10 thread.

Let's try to keep this thread about Wasp's bike, his impressions, his modifications and related questions.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #99
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
This thread was supposed to be about Wasp showing us what's he's doing with his XT12Z, and field some questions, but it's been slowly turning into another cluttered SuperTenere thread... maybe it's time to prune and punt to the big S10 thread.

Let's try to keep this thread about Wasp's bike, his impressions, his modifications and related questions.
Thanks G.B

Update... 30mins (I think) until I can post up the next "boring" video clip...
And yes AllOrds, it does show the spill...

Greg.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #100
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

PHUKKK!!!!
Minutes from the end of the upload I get the message "Unable to complete upload due to a technical problem".. It would be nice if they told you what the problem is???
The file was 1001mb... Maybe it was too big.
I will try and shorten it down and upload again..
What a waist of 9hrs.. Phukk!!

Greg.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #101
GB
Mod Squad

Try it on Vimeo, you can do longer videos there. Your first one was so boring, I would like to be bored some more please
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #102
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

All right.
I broke it into two sections... Well three actually - I put the fall on one short clip which I will load up first.
All three clips are uploading to youtube now so I hope I will be able to link them here soon.

It is obviously just incorrect settings but unfortunately the clips went from 1280x720 to 720x480... I hope it does not impact too greatly on the quality?? I can always upload them again later when they are edited.

Meanwhile I will look into the vimeo thing. Thanks G.B

Greg.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #103
Baillsy
Lets ride

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
No pics, didn't happen

Refresh my memory, did you trade the 660 or have you still got that?

Cheers
Graham

Pics arent my forte on here, but trust me, its here and alive. How easy are these S10s to ride. Picked it up Saturday lunch time and out for a ride and then went for a rde again yesterday. Love it and my BMW mates are impressed.
I sold the 640 Graham to help fund this purchase. I now need a 600 tenere to help with the collection.
Baillsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #104
GB
Mod Squad

Greg,

The S10 has a dry sump, how's the oil change procedure done? Is there a separate oil tank that needs to be drained and if so, how accessible is it? On a previous bike with a dry sump. you had to empty the tank by attaching a rubber hose and then open a nipple, empty the tank, then empty what's left in the engine.. and access to the tank required removing body panels.. I'm hoping the S10's oil change is simpler..

any ideas?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #105
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
The S10 has a dry sump, how's the oil change procedure done?
Well it's quite a nifty solution, it *is* dry sump, but the oil is still in the sump, in its own compartiment, so the crank doesnt whir it to foan as whit the TX750 :-)

The Drainplug is just where you expect it to bem under the gearbox, so the mass of the oli is in the lowest place psooible, but just behind the crank not under it...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote