Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
BugSpatteredJacket OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Question At a Glance: 2014 Yamaha Stryker?

Howdy,

One of my students decided to buy a Yamaha Stryker... I tried it out and have to confess, I am all over the place when it comes to choosing a new bike! There are so many models to choose from now and I am kinda torn! Here are his thoughts (and to an extent, my own) on the bike:

At a Glance: 2014 Yamaha Stryker - Hoppy's Last Hurrah

Want to use the bike for mostly touring but cannot stand giant goldwing styled baggers.... Any advice? I am looking to buy for spring... so am open to any considerations....

Cheers,

BSJ
BugSpatteredJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 902
Yamaha makes a great bike and while shorter local rides allow tolerance of "issues" a bike may have the biggest thing on a long trip is comfort and reliability.

Hard to buy a bad bike these days so it really comes down to if she makes you smile and fits your body. Same old advice, but a test ride is the only way to make sure.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
hornslocked
too weird to live

Oddometer: 38
fookin pictures behind the text make it all illegible for me.

YMMV.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
BugSpatteredJacket OP
Adventurer

@ bobw: Someone mentioned the Indian Scout in another thread.... for the same price as the Stryker I'd be tempted to try something iconic instead personally...

@ hornslocked: Really? Never had that complaint before, I am really sorry. Try enlarging or highlighting your page. Let me know if that helps.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,497
I didn't read the linked piece, but -

if you want to use the bike for touring, my advice is don't get a bike with a feet forward riding position like a Stryker. Yeah, you can tour on it, but you are not likely to be very comfy for long.... and that kinda takes the fun out of touring.

If you want a minimalist bike, you need to have your feet under you and perhaps just a bit of lean onto the bars. The wind will help support you and take some of the weight off your arms. With your feet under you, you can stand up occasionally and get some blood flowing in your butt and your knees. Personally, I like the relaxed ergos of the Adventure styled bikes, like a V-Strom. Also I see you are in Canada, so you may want to take a look at the Versys 1000 as well.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
BugSpatteredJacket OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Great advice, thank you! I'll definitely have a look at those bikes that you mentioned!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
hornslocked
too weird to live

Oddometer: 38
figured it out. I have a REALLY slow internet connection, and until that page loads completely, the 'blacked out' bits around the text aren't 'blacked out'. match that to I read really really fast, and it was unreadable. fifteen seconds later (yes, it's dial up slow) it was readable.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
MisterShandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I don't like the Stryker and Raider because of the large rake. Want something that turns decent.

The Indian Scout looks pretty nice, but small tank will make touring annoying. Could probably buy an aftermarket tank eventually, or have a custom one made. Also it's a first year production, so I would be hesitant to buy.

Recently I have been looking at cruisers and whipped up a spreadsheet with some info. This version is a bit out of date (I have since added more) but maybe it will help you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b...it?usp=sharing
MisterShandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
BugSpatteredJacket OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShandy View Post
I don't like the Stryker and Raider because of the large rake. Want something that turns decent.

The Indian Scout looks pretty nice, but small tank will make touring annoying. Could probably buy an aftermarket tank eventually, or have a custom one made. Also it's a first year production, so I would be hesitant to buy.

Recently I have been looking at cruisers and whipped up a spreadsheet with some info. This version is a bit out of date (I have since added more) but maybe it will help you:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b...it?usp=sharing
Nice spreadsheet! Though, how come the Moto Guzzi V7 didn't make it on it? With a 22litre (5.8 gallons) tank and shaft drive I thought it would be a good bike for long distance (after buying a proper seat of course). Will comb over it and see what reviews exist on each bike.... though, I like trying them out myself before even considering purchasing. As for the rake... I agree. There was a time I'd only ride bikes similar to it but I much prefer bobber style bikes nowadays....

BugSpatteredJacket screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 11:00 AM Reason: Moto Guzzi V7?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 8,079
What about the Yamaha V-Star 950? A nice compromise between the 650 and 1100, not to big and not too small.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #11
BugSpatteredJacket OP
Adventurer

Wicked

I have actually never seen the standard 950 vstar before in the flesh. My local dealer apparently only orders them when customers want one... which is strange enough.

I did see the 950 engine in its new incarnation, the Yamaha Bolt which I already looked and reviewed last summer after taking a test drive on one

At a Glance: 2014 Yamaha Bolt!

I actually prefer the 950 engine and transmission to the Stryker's engine and transmission personally. The lighter bike is more flickable and imho more fun to ride too. I'd love to try it in it's traditional cruiser form though.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,376
Are you really undecided which motorcycle to buy or are you just pimping your site?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
BugSpatteredJacket OP
Adventurer

Bluhduh

Pimping my site? You mean my blog that is done for free for absolutely zero profit and that highlights whatever day trips I have taken over the years including but not limited to showcasing other's ride outs around the world from people whom I met as a result of my blog?

No, I am not pimping out my site. I also comment regularly on folk's threads and hence do not sell or promote any services. Thus, I don't see the difference between writing up ride reports on a website as opposed to sharing them via a link to a blog?! Least of all when they are directly related to any given section that I try to post in.

I am genuinely undecided and yes I do communicate primarily through my blog during the summer riding season. So far the bikes that I have considered have ranged from

1) Yamaha FZ07
2) Yamaha FZ09
3) Yamaha Bolt
4) Yamaha Stryker
5) Triumph Scrambler
6) Triumph Thruxton
7) Moto Guzzi V7 (Any of the Three)
8) Indian Scout
9) BMW R Nine T
10) Moto Guzzi California (too heavy I think personally)
11) ??????

I have previously owned a Kawasaki, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi, Royal Enfield, Harley-Davidson, etc... and just sold my Suzuki Intruder 1400 last year in order to save up and buy something new. I haven't a clue what to go for as evidenced by my list of bikes...

Nobody forcing anyone to click on my links though but if you actually have a genuine recommendation for a bike by all means share.

P.S. I actually support advrider via my blog and have been a loyal reader for many years now... it's what inspired me to start a blog in the first place!

BugSpatteredJacket screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 11:02 AM
Old 08-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSpatteredJacket View Post
Pimping my site? You mean my blog that is done for free for absolutely zero profit
My apologies. I jumped the gun and thought your blog had ads. Those that have ads look like spam to us. Since this site is presented totally without ads, we really frown on spammers.

Still, it is common practice here to cut and paste here instead of linking personal blogs.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
MisterShandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSpatteredJacket View Post
how come the Moto Guzzi V7 didn't make it on it? With a 22litre (5.8 gallons) tank and shaft drive I thought it would be a good bike for long distance (after buying a proper seat of course).
Just because it does make enough power. That is, for what I am currently looking for. I'm sure it is a fine bike and power isn't everything. The V7 really doesn't seem much different from my Nighthawk (obv v2 vs i4 is a big difference though), but the Nighthawk makes a fair amount more power. If/when I buy something new, I want a bit bigger bike for more long distance riding comfort. I do like the look of the V7s, and I considered the Griso.
MisterShandy is offline   Reply With Quote