Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #256
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bialystock View Post
Air the tire up to the correct pressure called for with "DRY" air. Moisture introduced into the tire with the air will result in a failed installation. If your dealer is installing just make sure they have a water filter/dryer on their compressor. If you are using a home compressor drain the holding tank prior to airing the tire up.
I have a question about the comment above.

Am I using "Dry" air if I just use the bicycle pump or portable Cycle Pump that I might normally use to inflate my tires?

I am going to install my TyreGuardian this weekend and want to get it right the first time. Is finding "dry" air a challenge?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #257
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisspy View Post
You never really know how long it takes to rip a tube. Is it fair to say for tubed tires:
1. get the object out before the tube rips & you may have a chance at avoiding a tube replacement.
2. most tube punctures will cause a rip before you notice. Leave the object in if you're holding pressure & continue to the best spot to change the tube (hopefully the end of your ride).
3. the main benefit for tubed tires is avoiding a sudden loss of pressure. I'd rather deal with slow leak at speed.
4. only tubeless tires can benefit from continued riding on a sealed punctured tire.
5. no installation problems have been reported for tubes (water, debris).

At the end of a tires treadlife, try driving 1/4mi on 3 nails to check real world performance. Place 1 nail in the center & opposite the valve, another at 10 o'clock L of center & another at 2 o'clock R of center to estimate cornering angle. This will tell how well you did the installation, how well the product lasts, etc to give some confidence installing in the new tire.

Just ordered 500ml. Tubed installation & expecting to redo in the fall.
Hi Chrisspy,
Thanks for the questions and comments. Here is my take.

Quote:
1. get the object out before the tube rips & you may have a chance at avoiding a tube replacement.

I agree with this for tubes if you notice the puncture. You may not with TyreShield. If the puncture is under 1/8" diameter it will be sealed.

Quote:
2. most tube punctures will cause a rip before you notice. Leave the object in if you're holding pressure & continue to the best spot to change the tube (hopefully the end of your ride).

In a TyreShield treated tire that is holding pressure (as it should) I would remove the object. Leaving it in increases the chance it may move around and rip a larger hole in the tube. This is my personal choice although the company does not have a policy regarding this.
Quote:
3. the main benefit for tubed tires is avoiding a sudden loss of pressure. I'd rather deal with slow leak at speed.

I have had flats at speed and do not wish the experience repeated. I'm not completely sure tubes are 100% effective in eliminating sudden complete air loss.
Quote:
4. only tubeless tires can benefit from continued riding on a sealed punctured tire.
Sorry I con't agree with you on this one. TyreShield will seal the tube up to 1/8" diameter punctures. If the nail, screw, thorn or whatever is not visible from the outside you won't know you have a puncture, a TyreShield treated tire won't lose air.
Quote:
5. no installation problems have been reported for tubes (water, debris).
This is correct to my knowledge.

I run tubes in my bike. Frankly I prefer tubeless tires but I won't throw my leg over a bike unless TyreShield is in the tires, tube or tubeless. The last flat I had at speed (tube type tire) the needle hit 14 on my personal 1 to 10 pucker-o-meter. The tire was flat before I noticed a problem. Not a blow out, but it lost all air within 2 seconds.
Great stuff. Thanks for your comments and support Chrisspy!
Ride safe,

Max Bialystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #258
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
I have a question about the comment above.

Am I using "Dry" air if I just use the bicycle pump or portable Cycle Pump that I might normally use to inflate my tires?

I am going to install my TyreGuardian this weekend and want to get it right the first time. Is finding "dry" air a challenge?

Thanks.
Hi Gumbeaux,
You should be fine. If the humidity is really high that day ... and I mean really high (raining or close to it) you might want to wait until it stops raining and the humidity of the air lowers.

Failure due to moisture is usually caused by utilizing a compressor with a holding tank which has not been drained of moisture or does not have a dryer/filter. Almost all shops will have a dryer/filter on the outlet hose of their compressors. They do this because moisture accelerates wear on their expensive air tools. I used dryer/filters on my shop compressors back in the 70's for this reason. Air tools are expensive, the filter/dryers are cheap.
Thanks for purchasing TyreShield and the great questions.
Ride safe,

Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #259
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 482
One more compressor question...

Hi Max,
just acquired a WR250X and ordered a set of gorgeous dirt wheels from Warp 9 for it as well. Will be ordering more of the TS in the next week or so.

My question is about draining the compressor. I have Sears 75 gallon unit with no moisture filter. I have emptied the unit with the relief valve before and noticed a lot of moisture coming out. You mentioned draining the tank. Is there a certain process you recommend to make sure? Keep filling and draining until you don't feel moisture I assume?

I assume the ADV code still works as well?

Hope you're doing well.
p.s. are you near Austin?
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #260
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototifosi View Post
Hi Max,
just acquired a WR250X and ordered a set of gorgeous dirt wheels from Warp 9 for it as well. Will be ordering more of the TS in the next week or so.

My question is about draining the compressor. I have Sears 75 gallon unit with no moisture filter. I have emptied the unit with the relief valve before and noticed a lot of moisture coming out. You mentioned draining the tank. Is there a certain process you recommend to make sure? Keep filling and draining until you don't feel moisture I assume?

I assume the ADV code still works as well?

Hope you're doing well.
p.s. are you near Austin?
Hi Mototifosi,
Great to hear from you and congrats on the new bike. You answered your own question sir. The condensation collects at the bottom of the tank so usually a blast or two is all it takes to remove the water. In addition clearing the output air line is not a bad idea.

The code is still active. Let me know if you have any problems.

All is well here in the Lone Star state and thank you for asking. I am having as much fun as I can without getting caught. ssshhhhhh

I live in a suburb of Fort Worth. My youngest son lives in Austin. He tells me I'm too old to live there. He may be right. Of course, Austin is only a 3 hour run from house. Just a hop and a skip.
Life is good. Have fun on the new bike!
Ride safe,
Jim

Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #261
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
What is the shelf life of a bottle? I'm thinking of ordering the 1 Liter bottle but that size should last me 3-5 years hopefully.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #262
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
What is the shelf life of a bottle? I'm thinking of ordering the 1 Liter bottle but that size should last me 3-5 years hopefully.
Hi,
I know it will last at least a year. Keep the container sealed with the cap. It should last long enough for you.
Thanks for the question.
Ride safe,
Jim

Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #263
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 482
Black Friday Specials?

I know we get the ADV disc. Running any BF promo's?
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #264
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll check into it. Have a great weekend.
Ride safe,

Jim

Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #265
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

TyreShield Discount Code for 2012

Use "ADVRIDER12" as your promo/discount code when purchasing TyreShield.
http://www.tyreshieldusa.com

Ride Safe!
Max

Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #266
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Made an order, can't wait to try it out on a 2200+ mile this upcoming season.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #267
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
I installed your product in my tubes a few years ago and just changed tires....the shop said they felt some soft lumps in the tube. Question is does the product dry or does it stay liquid? I have perfect balance even without wieghts....is this normal? Ths is on an F800gs with a fairly square front rim btw.....
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #268
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrywhiteguy View Post
I installed your product in my tubes a few years ago and just changed tires....the shop said they felt some soft lumps in the tube. Question is does the product dry or does it stay liquid? I have perfect balance even without wieghts....is this normal? Ths is on an F800gs with a fairly square front rim btw.....
From what I've viewed online, it hardens into like a gel almost like a skin;

Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #269
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
Hence the question.....mine seems to be at least partially liquid....not sure
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #270
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the order! Let me know how your ride turns out.

Remember when installing into your tube or tire make sure the air is free from moisture and your puncture protection will be second to none!
Ride Safe,
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Made an order, can't wait to try it out on a 2200+ mile this upcoming season.