Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #61
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Hey Jim,

I had my tires replaced today, and to my chagrin, the dealer also replaced the tubes. I then talked to the tech who did the job and he said once the tubes were deflated, they "shrunk / shriveled" and he was rather confused as to why.. he said they always replace the tubes when they replace the tires....

So, another order is incoming.
Well, Crummy Buttons GB.
Every time I have had a new tire put on by a dealer they have done the same thing, the claim is "insurance" requirements.

I bet those tubes did look "different". Anyway thanks for the re-order.
Jim

Max Bialystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #62
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Jim,

I have a couple questions.

I have used several different puncture products to plug punctures over the years. The one I liked best as it seemed to work well was called PCC (If memory serves me right). It would plug holes real well and I used it in dirt bikes (with tubes) for years with great results.

I tried it a couple times in tubeless tires and it would work in them too but after running it in a Ninja 1000 to seal up a bead leak (which it did do) I found it really attacked the inside of the rim. Not sure why it was so corrosive but after I cleaned it all up (GIANT PIA) I quit running all these products in my tubeless tired vehicles with aluminum rims (which is basically all of them).

Since your product dries to a latex liner once installed I would imagine there would be no corrosion issues with aluminum mag type wheels? I can see where there would be a limited amount that would get applied to the rim due to the centrifigal force of the ride after installation coating it more on the tire than the rim.

I am assuming if you get a puncture this latex liner is supple enough that it gets pushed into the hole or around the cause of the puncture and seals it up as it is pushed into the puncture. Does it then adhere to the inside of the hole and harden up more or stay flexible and soft plugging the hole due to being forced into it by air pressure?

Either way it looks to be a real nice product and anything that enhances safety is well worth it (IMO).

Thanks,

David
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #63
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi David,
You have highlighted a real problem with some products. Thankfully not TyreGuardian.

The following is from our FAQ page - "A: TyreGuardian is harmless to the vast majority of rims. TyreGuardian is not suitable for rims that have been modified using copper or brass." (custom/show wheels)

When the product fills a puncture the portion exposed to the outside air hardens, what is not exposed keeps it's flexibility resulting in no air loss and continued protection. Great questions and I agree about the safety aspect, that's why I run TyreGuardian in my motorcycle, cars and trailers.
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo
Jim,

I have a couple questions.

I have used several different puncture products to plug punctures over the years. The one I liked best as it seemed to work well was called PCC (If memory serves me right). It would plug holes real well and I used it in dirt bikes (with tubes) for years with great results.

I tried it a couple times in tubeless tires and it would work in them too but after running it in a Ninja 1000 to seal up a bead leak (which it did do) I found it really attacked the inside of the rim. Not sure why it was so corrosive but after I cleaned it all up (GIANT PIA) I quit running all these products in my tubeless tired vehicles with aluminum rims (which is basically all of them).

Since your product dries to a latex liner once installed I would imagine there would be no corrosion issues with aluminum mag type wheels? I can see where there would be a limited amount that would get applied to the rim due to the centrifigal force of the ride after installation coating it more on the tire than the rim.

I am assuming if you get a puncture this latex liner is supple enough that it gets pushed into the hole or around the cause of the puncture and seals it up as it is pushed into the puncture. Does it then adhere to the inside of the hole and harden up more or stay flexible and soft plugging the hole due to being forced into it by air pressure?

Either way it looks to be a real nice product and anything that enhances safety is well worth it (IMO).

Thanks,

David

Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #64
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
the hot setup for desert guys these days is http://www.nuetech.com/ plus something like this in the tire. this would be poured into the tire cavity just before the tubliss system is seated.
Why would it be added before seating?

How does this product work with larger punctures when a plug needs to be fitted?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #65
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
Why would it be added before seating?

How does this product work with larger punctures when a plug needs to be fitted?
Hi tmotten,
I'm really not familiar with the Tubliss system just what a quick glance at their web site gives me.

Generally I would want to add TyreGuardian prior to filling the tire with air as a last step. This would be after the tubliss system was filled and in place. Then the tire needs to be run for 5 to 10 minutes to distribute the TyreGuardian inside the tire.

It doesn't matter with TyreGuardian what's in the hole as long as the hole is not over 1/4" diameter.
Thanks for the questions.
Jim

Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #66
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Just ordered some for my Burgman 400. I hate flats. Should have enough left to do my bicycle tires. Thanks for the discount.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #67
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettken
Just ordered some for my Burgman 400. I hate flats. Should have enough left to do my bicycle tires. Thanks for the discount.
Hi emmettken,
I am with you on the flats I hate them too.
Thanks for the order!

Jim

Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #68
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,449
All good data, gents.

Anyone seeing the product for sale in shops, or has anyone seen a shop that will put it in at the time of a tire upgrade, install etc?
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #69
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
All good data, gents.

Anyone seeing the product for sale in shops, or has anyone seen a shop that will put it in at the time of a tire upgrade, install etc?
Hi Sick-Till-Tuesday,
TyreGuardian was introduced at the SEMA 2009 show in Las Vegas only 10 months ago. We are working hard to get TyreGuardian into warehouse distributors, dealers and service centers for automotive products of all kinds. Including not only motorcycles but car, truck and construction fleets and privately owned vehicle markets. If you have any suggestions or contacts you would like to share please pm me. I promise I will address every suggestion.

In the mean time if you can't find us on the shelves yet, please order from our website and don't forget to use your inmate 10% discount code "TGADV". If you don't want to install TyreGuardian yourself most shops will install for you. You may have to show them it's not goopy, slimy or nasty before they do it. An easy thing to do. Just put a drop on your finger and rub it around for a few seconds. When it turns to solid rubber you will have made your point.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #70
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,449
Cool Beans, Max,

I like the concept, I sent you a PM in regard to a local top notch dealer I would like to see the product at... they sell three flavor brands of dual sports, they have an excellent audience to include Beamers and KLR's.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #71
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
Cool Beans, Max,

I like the concept, I sent you a PM in regard to a local top notch dealer I would like to see the product at... they sell three flavor brands of dual sports, they have an excellent audience to include Beamers and KLR's.
Thank you! They will hear from me soon!
Jim

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #72
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
So, no one has installed the TG and then done the puncture test themselves? Or had an on the road event after application they can share?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #73
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,316
My guess is there is more instructions on the bottle, but how do you get the rest of the product in the tire before putting the valve stem back in. Blast of compressed air?

might be the thing for the scooter and GS
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #74
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
My guess is there is more instructions on the bottle, but how do you get the rest of the product in the tire before putting the valve stem back in. Blast of compressed air?

might be the thing for the scooter and GS

Hi AngryScot,
Yes, bottles also carry instructions. Here's how I install the product.
1. Take the weight off the tire.
2. Cut no more than 1/8" from the top of the TyreGuardian cap.
3. Remove the valve core. (tool comes with TyreGuardian)
4. Push (I screw it down) the clear nylon tube supplied over the valve stem.
5. Push the bottle tip into the clear nylon tube, make sure the stem is above the three or nine clock position.
6. Squeeze product into the tire. Check the marks on the side of the bottle to determine how much you have installed. Of course, before any of this you have used our online calculator to find out just how much your tires require.
7. Repeat until you reach the required amount for the tire. The bottle has gradations on the side so you can tell how much you have installed.
8. Replace the valve core and air up the tire.
9. Ride/drive for 5 to 10 minutes and you are finished with installation.

If you are running TPMS a blast of air may be required prior to putting the valve core back into the stem to clear TyreGuardian away from the sensor.
Hope this helps and thanks for the question.
Jim

Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #75
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bialystock
Hi AngryScot,
Yes, bottles also carry instructions. Here's how I install the product.
1. Take the weight off the tire.
2. Cut no more than 1/8" from the top of the TyreGuardian cap.
3. Remove the valve core. (tool comes with TyreGuardian)
4. Push (I screw it down) the clear nylon tube supplied over the valve stem.
5. Push the bottle tip into the clear nylon tube, make sure the stem is above the three or nine clock position.
6. Squeeze product into the tire. Check the marks on the side of the bottle to determine how much you have installed. Of course, before any of this you have used our online calculator to find out just how much your tires require.
7. Repeat until you reach the required amount for the tire. The bottle has gradations on the side so you can tell how much you have installed.
8. Replace the valve core and air up the tire.
9. Ride/drive for 5 to 10 minutes and you are finished with installation.

If you are running TPMS a blast of air may be required prior to putting the valve core back into the stem to clear TyreGuardian away from the sensor.
Hope this helps and thanks for the question.
Jim
it does kind of, was wondering what stopped the product from gumming up the valve stem, but I guess the filling back up of the tire would do that.
Will have to get the size off my scooter wheel to see how much I need.

Thanks!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote