User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Trip Planning Mapping Software Recommendations

So I used to use Microsoft Street and Trips to plan out my trip with different way-points cause it could save a trip and would calculate certain information such as time/distance/rest stops/gas usage/etc...

However that product has been discontinued. Does anyone recommend any mapping software similar to that for planning out trips?

Thanks,
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
r3mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Assuming you're talking about the US (and maybe North America) - have a look in Vendors at Furkot.

Its become my go to for trip planning efforts. Really like some of the features they've built into it, plus its free.
r3mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
multiphrenic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
If you've got a Garmin, try Basecamp it's free. It's a bit unpolished when it comes to multi-day trip planning but it works.
multiphrenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
So I used to use Microsoft Street and Trips to plan out my trip with different way-points cause it could save a trip and would calculate certain information such as time/distance/rest stops/gas usage/etc...

However that product has been discontinued. Does anyone recommend any mapping software similar to that for planning out trips?

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiphrenic View Post
If you've got a Garmin, try Basecamp it's free. It's a bit unpolished when it comes to multi-day trip planning but it works.
I'm too old (and stupid) to learn another software...ie Basecamp. I've been using S&T, Mapsource & Google earth for my trip planning, on & off road. I haven't found a need to try learning something new.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
I have a Garmin motorcycle navi (pricy due to lack of competition, but great), but I find Basecamp extremely frustrating: after I mapped out a route in Basecamp and transferred it to my Garmin, I always get "Route not found" error message after a few miles into my trip and the navi stops guiding me. I've hence started to plan my route on Google maps, finding suitable waypoint, then I fire up the Garmin and add one waypoint after another manually on my Garmin before I start the trip and safe it. This is very, very time consuming, but works. The problem with that approach is that you cannot deviate too much from your pre-planned trip, otherwise the Garmin will route you back to your last waypoint (which you might have passed already on a nearby, alternative route on your way to the next waypoint).

So my recommendation would be to use Google Maps (street view is a fantastic tool!), make a printout to put on your tank bag, and use a navi on your motorcycle, but never rely on the navi entirely.
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
I haven't found a need to try learning something new.
Isn't that the whole point of life, that you try to constantly learn something new?
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Isn't that the whole point of life, that you try to constantly learn something new?
Could be! but, I have a plaque on the wall that I look at everyday.....

"LIFE is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming Wow What A Ride!"

And so, I will continue to plan my adventures with a program I know rather than being frustrated learning something new.....
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
took a look at it, but its not going to work. basemap is not detailed enough to plan a trip on.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
I'm too old (and stupid) to learn another software...ie Basecamp. I've been using S&T, Mapsource & Google earth for my trip planning, on & off road. I haven't found a need to try learning something new.
Can you still get S&Ts anywhere? What is mapsource?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also guys I am looking at something purely for pre-planning a trip. It does not need to transfer to a GPS or come along with me at all.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Also guys I am looking at something purely for pre-planning a trip. It does not need to transfer to a GPS or come along with me at all.
I pre-plan all my trips using either Google Maps or TYRE.
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM   #12
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you still get S&Ts anywhere? What is mapsource?
S&T (Streets & Trips) is a Microsoft product that has been discontinued. Mapsource is a Garmin product, also discontinued & replaced by Basecamp.

Alex, I do have Basecamp & can zoom in & get as much detail of roads & trails as needed. Are your maps unlocked?

Google maps are very good & easy for what you're looking for.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #13
Magna4ever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
I pre-plan all my trips using either Google Maps or TYRE.
TYRE is great - setup for TomTom Rider, but works with any not-too-old Garmin also. Pick your waypoints on Google Earth and easily create a route that can be transferred like any file to your GPS. Easy to learn - I sat in front of the TV and learned it pretty quickly last night. Free download.

Oh - and I also plugged in a few waypoints on Google Earth that I recognized from our back country snowmobiling, and then clicked the "off road" button, and it followed the path across the fields perfectly - sweet program!
Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Psalms 68:33

Magna4ever screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:04 AM
Magna4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM   #14
alexk243 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I may try google earth, but I am having good luck with Furkot, which you guys suggested.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #15
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
As a few others have stated, try TYRE. I use it for all my mapping. Works with Garmin units, and will use any existing track you wanna add into it.
I find it MUCH easier to use than Basecamp. You can also transfer your route onto Google Earth and do a pre-run of the route...pretty cool stuff.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote