User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
hwunger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
How do you do it ?

here's a question for the real LD types - how do you do it ?

I recently again went for a 10-day trip, and another 3-day camping trip all by motorcycle with yet another 3-day car trip ... during all this outdoor living, I found out, among other things, that this wears me out physically ... so here goes:

1) do you find all the outdoor living wears you down, how do you handle it ?
2) what about being away from home for long periods of time, month or more ?
3) being away from all things familiar .... how do you handle this ?

any and all suggestions welcome ... I suspect others may wonder also.
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post

On moto-camping trips, I need to find ways to burn off my excess energy, since I'm not as physically active as my everyday life.

Quote:
In the future I plan on solving this by not having a home to come back to for extended periods of time.

Quote:
Wait, isn't that the point?
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 675
Outdoor living shouldn't be tiring, everyday things do take longer without the normal conveniences you have at home but you should have a lot more time to get things done. When travelling long term you should slow down and spend longer at places you like, not just an overnight stop but a few days or even weeks at the same place.

Homesickness can sometimes be a problem, I find stopping for a while somewhere I like and find some company, if that is what you are also missing. You don't say where you are headed but in many parts of the world there are places where travellers meet or people living an alternative lifestyle live and you can head for one of these, I particularly like backpackers hostels for meeting other travellers and someone to explore the local area or city with.

You should be surrounded by familiar things, your bike, tent, camping gear and the other personal possessions you take with you, setting out my own things in a hotel room or on a campsite make that space my own.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 106
Cool2

For the living out door thing I always love it except when I bought cheap a tent many years ago. I find sleep better not sure if the outdoor thing or not dealing with reality

Being away for long periods guess it how you look at because my career choice long period does not start till after six months but now with e-mail,texting Skype WOW great to stay in contact with people

Being away from familiar I guess in my mind is the whole idea travelling I thrive on whats next, who I run into next best education I ever had
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,438
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
1 - stopped camping, and started moteling. Find I'm not as tired anymore out MC traveling.

2 - Not here. Too many responsibilities...home, family, job. Two weeks is max. See #3 below.

3 - Glad to get alone time and relax. Like meeting new people for short periods of time, experiencing new things, eating new foods, riding new roads.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
I actually thrive on the LD journeys.
The trick for me is the luxurylite cot and a top shelf two man tent.
A long with the kermit chair I be very comfortable. Every three nights or so stay in a hostel or hook up with a tent space fellow.

A word about the luxury lite cot; I've broken my back twice and this cot is better than my bed at home. I'm more comfortable traveling than being home.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
hwunger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
allright, this is good stuff .... keep it coming.

I agree that cooking for example takes a lot longer but it's also relaxing and rewarding, as yes you can try new things and that's all part of it.

The hardest thing for me was the heat .. as in Redding, CA type of heat - I headed for the coast after that for more familiar weather, until the fog rolled in.

Meeting new people is also part of it, looking forward to Mexico next year - all my trips were in Canada/USA so not much Spanish, except in Mexican restaurants ! ...

.... and the outdoor living does increase my uh metabolism ..... ha .... and my tent, pad, and bag could use an upgrade .... our bikes are our companion as you say.

hwunger screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 09:19 AM
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,553
my everyday job drags me down, a moto vacation brings me back to life.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
northoceanbeach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I think you have to get used to it. So the longer you are gone the easier it gets. I can only assume it's the same as sailing. When I first go on a multi month boat trip its kind of hard. I miss having a washer and dryer, and an oven and a shower . But once you get your routine down it does become easier.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Sandstorm72
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumbs down

Quote:
here's a question for the real LD types - how do you do it ?

I recently again went for a 10-day trip, and another 3-day camping trip all by motorcycle with yet another 3-day car trip ... during all this outdoor living, I found out, among other things, that this wears me out physically ... so here goes:

any and all suggestions welcome ... I suspect others may wonder also.
You just learned riding bike right ? I don't think is going to be your thing ...just going by the questions you're asking
Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
HeyJack
Highway Bound

Oddometer: 8
Let me share my experience, please.

After not riding for 30 years, I buy myself a little scooter, right? Well the little scooter moved to a maxi scooter because I wanted to do 10 days touring Colorado.

Off I go with all of my camping gear, riding from Phoenix up through New Mexico in triple degree heat! I figured I could handle the heat for a day as I was so excited about being on the road with my new bigger scooter. Because these scooters are not comfortable, 350 miles was about the limit for me.

Long story short, if you love what you are doing, it shouldn't wear you out.

I never miss home because my home is where my heart is. Since the wife won't ride, I am granted freedom to take off whenever I like. Kids are grown and gone and we are enjoying retirement.

After the 2500 mile Colorado trip I have upgraded twice....tried the Concours then moved to a Wing.

Must agree, the worst part is the heat....plan travel around the cooler hours and get on the road early, really early!

Now I can go 400-500 miles a day with little problem.

HeyJack screwed with this post 01-21-2015 at 08:07 PM
HeyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #13
bacon palace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Far from being an expert I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. After 3 to 4 days in a row camping, the weather usually forces me into a hotel. Ironically I recall reading something on a thread here about peanut butter crack turning into monkey butt in that time frame

Six weeks away from home is my max. I'm sure I could ride for longer but something (weather,job or money) seems to get in the way. I agree with bikerfish, LD riding doesn't seem too wear me down as much as a job. I guess the adventure part of it along with the new friends you meet and the places you visit keep you going. Not saying for that last 100 miles I don't feel like a horse heading for the barn.

All this being said, I find I can only ride halfway before I have to turn around and head home

Also, if any of you inmates from the east coast are driving somewhere southwest within the next month and you have room for me and my Drz drop me a pm.
bacon palace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon palace View Post
Not saying for that last 100 miles I don't feel like a horse heading for the barn.
Guess that feeling comes back to what you have at home waiting for you. With a wife, kids, couple dogs, etc...guess that could go either way too depending on the person.

But I agree that there's something to be said about getting back home, parking the bike, and flopping down in your favorite chair and putting you feet up. And three seconds later, wanting to be back on that road again...
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 495
1) do you find all the outdoor living wears you down, how do you handle it?

No. I actually sleep better in my tent than I do in a hotel. I ditched the smartass phone years ago and I find the absence of artificial light makes me go to sleep sooner. I like to hike/eat/siesta at some sort of swimming hole so that covers most bathing needs and the hike tuckers me out. Otherwise, witch hazel, a way to make real coffee, farmer's market fruits & veggies, hard cheese, a decent 2 man tent, and a top of the line backpacking air mattress go a long way. That said, I'll hostel/tent space/motel it at least once a week.

What if home was the moto? My month+ trips are usually moving - often taking the circuitous scenic route. My partner is awesome. She drives herself in a car and and lets me get lost. Sometimes we rendezvous. We're not breeders so that's solved.

3) being away from all things familiar.... how do you handle this?

You take yourself with you wherever you go. Be comfortable with yourself and you'll be comfortable anywhere. Otherwise, skype/hangouts makes seeing loved ones a little more authentic. And there's nothing like riding somewhere you've never ridden before.