Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #256
Soty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I learned many photographers had started using Adobe Lightroom instead of Photoshop. I downloaded a free trial version of Adobe Lightroom 3 beta and was blown away with how easy it was to use and learn. When the final version of Lightroom 3 was released I couldn't wait to purchase it. While $300 was more money than I can really afford for software, in reality I could have purchased about 8 copies with all of the money I spent on camera gear recently.

This was not intended to be a tutorial on how to use Lightroom. I am far from qualified. If you do end up using Lightroom I would recommend getting a book to better understand it. I really like the Lightroom 3 Book written by Martin Evening.

Don't take my work for it. Go find out what the professional photographers have to say about Adobe Lightroom 3 in forums like our sister site dgrin.com.

Dave, may I ask you someting about the Lightroom. I was impreessed by what the program is capable, so I downloaded the free trial version and started working. It seems to very friendly. However I noticed that when I finish my job and do EXPORT, the new file is considerably smaller that the original. In other words ig the original pictire is 3 or 4 mB, the result is about 0.5 mb, which of corse is lowering the quality.

Is that feature only in the trial version ? I mean, if I pay for the sofware, will I have the same result or the new picture will be the same resolution ?

Thanks
Soty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #257
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,696
'scuse me- not butting in, hope another voice is welcome here.

Been making my living as a commercial photo hack for 30-ish years, and I love Lightroom- very powerful. I played with it for several years, but tied myself to a chair one day and watched the Lynda tutorials for hours- highly reccommended.

I've downsized- no more big studio and big clients- but I still use Lightroom, mostly for RRs.

I won't own a camera that does not shoot RAW- I'm just not that good a photographer.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #258
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soty View Post
I noticed that when I finish my job and do EXPORT, the new file is considerably smaller that the original.
Scroll down and check the settings in your export box- there is a little box one can check to set the file size and other parameters. Might be yours has defaulted to a smaller size. It's very handy when exporting, BTW- I often set mine to the longest dimension as 1200px to generate web-sized images.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #259
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 2,976
Soty,

What FakeName said. Check the file size settings in your Export Dialog Box. File size may also be a limiting factor to the current trial version, but it wasn't when I used a trial version in 2010. If you are importing a JPEG and exporting the same file, the size should be about the same unless you are changing the photo. If you import a RAW and convert to JPEG then your file size would definitely be much smaller.

BTW, I usually export the full-sized original to smugmug. I make web-sized photos for other sites.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #260
FakeName

It may have been covered here already, so forgive me, but-

You will be well served to export to a lossless file like a tiff dng or psd every time you do post-production. Then, from that file, export a jpg.

Every time you make a change to a file (even small ones) and save it as a jpeg, the compression degrades the image quality a tiny bit. If you open a jpg, make a change, then save it again, the damage is cumulative. In theory, if you open-change-save enough, it will get REAL bad.

I save to a lossless file type, then revisit that file when makeing changes and save as a first-generation jpeg each time.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #261
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 667
Ride report advice

Thanks for the great thread idea. I am writing our RR on the road. I get views but very few comments. Like others have said I don't want it to just be comments like some RRs. I really enjoy hearing from other riders when I do get comments. Besides controversy how can I stimulate more interaction?

We will be on hiatus for 4 months this summer during the rainy season and we will be going home to work. What should we post during that time ? Ie So people don't think we are dead. I was thinking of some gear reviews, tips from the road, or review of what a year on the road is like.

I write and edit on word and cut and paste to ADV (thanks Guaterider for the tip!).

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #262
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
What's everyone recommend for photo size and quality when posting ride reports and blogs?

I'm using Lightroom 4 (still learning).. I have my export image quality set to 70% and image resize set to 'long edge: 1024px'. This produces pictures that are 1024x768 (or sometimes 1024x683) and are of good, clear quality. . The issue I'm having is that the file sizes are pretty big.. between 200kb-300kb per picture. I've tried lowering the image quality but then it starts to look grainy.

I'd ideally like my image size to be around 100-125kb so that when I'm uploading images for my Ride Report it doesn't take forever due to being on a slow internet connection in South America.. I tried setting it to auto image quality based off a file size limit of 100kb, but the pictures look terrible. Should I go with a smaller resolution of 800x600? What's a good middle ground between photo quaility/size and file size?

Example of LR4 export with auto image quality set to 100kb (looks pixely/crappy, IMO):

Same photo set to 70% quality and same resolution of 1024x768 (looks much much better, but is a whopping 327kb):

Moto Mikey screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 11:43 AM
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #263
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
The image quality setting in Lightroom is, as I understand it, not designed to be for compression. I compress my images with the free Irfanview

After I export my images, I open the first one in Irfanview, press B (or File->Batch conversion). Then I select all images and set the following options:

Output format: JPG
JPG save quality (in menu Options): 80 %
Set long side to (in menu Advanced): 1024
Output directory: X:\...\*current directory*\1024

With your image, I end up with a file size of 172 KB. For me, this usually is a good compromise.

What do you think?

AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #264
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
The image quality setting in Lightroom is, as I understand it, not designed to be for compression. I compress my images with the free Irfanview

After I export my images, I open the first one in Irfanview, press B (or File->Batch conversion). Then I select all images and set the following options:

Output format: JPG
JPG save quality (in menu Options): 80 %
Set long side to (in menu Advanced): 1024
Output directory: X:\...\*current directory*\1024

With your image, I end up with a file size of 172 KB. For me, this usually is a good compromise.

What do you think?
Thanks!

It's a bit annoying to make an extra step in a seperate program though.. If I can't find some magical settings for LR4, then I'll use this method. The file size is a huge improvement.
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #265
Soty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Soty,

What FakeName said. Check the file size settings in your Export Dialog Box. File size may also be a limiting factor to the current trial version, but it wasn't when I used a trial version in 2010. If you are importing a JPEG and exporting the same file, the size should be about the same unless you are changing the photo. If you import a RAW and convert to JPEG then your file size would definitely be much smaller.

BTW, I usually export the full-sized original to smugmug. I make web-sized photos for other sites.
Thanks, the problem was solved. I should play more with it to get an idea about the capabilities.
Soty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #266
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
About taking notes on the road

There's a super easy way to take notes with a modern smartphone. Speech to text.

With my Galaxy Note 2 I can open the Color Note app, start a new note, hit the microphone button and start talking. It writes the text as I speak and does not require any sort of network connection to do so. Accuracy is pretty good and where it's not, I'll know what I meant to say.

This is great because the text can be easily skimmed or searched, and transferred by email or various other means. It's much faster than any sort of writing or typing yet gives the same result.

Anyway, wanted to get this said after skimming the thread and not seeing it mentioned. Now I'll go back and read it more slowly.
rodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #267
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
Thanks for the great thread idea. I am writing our RR on the road. I get views but very few comments. Like others have said I don't want it to just be comments like some RRs. I really enjoy hearing from other riders when I do get comments. Besides controversy how can I stimulate more interaction?

We will be on hiatus for 4 months this summer during the rainy season and we will be going home to work. What should we post during that time ? Ie So people don't think we are dead. I was thinking of some gear reviews, tips from the road, or review of what a year on the road is like.

I write and edit on word and cut and paste to ADV (thanks Guaterider for the tip!).

Sara
Sara,

I just started reading your report. I missed it since I was quite busy riding last summer when you started. So far your report is good. You two are on an awesome trip. I'll try to find time to get caught up and will let you know if I can think of anything to answer your question.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #268
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 667
Thanks

Dave

Thanks for the reply. Cheers

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #269
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Question Thanks for asking the question

Quote:

Sara
Hi Saralou,

I have been following your ride report and navigating your website since the beginning. I really like all the detail information re. border crossing, and you guys replied to an email in less than a day.

It is indeed a tough crowd. There are some really good pointers in this thread as to what some of us think makes a good ride report, and we all know what opinions are like. IMHO it really comes down to how much you are able to draw your audience in with your overall style. I say overall, to include anything that is part of the RR, text, replies, pictures, video clips, sound bites etc, etc...

If you go back to the RR forum and organize the threads by number of stars, and read/glance at the top 25-30 reports you will see that they all have at least one thing that stands out. And many of those things will be shared among various "top rated" reports.

What is challenging is that you might not be able to identify what that thing is , but you will know it's there. I am trying to be clear, but it is difficult to illustrate. Academics refer to it as "pathos".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathos

Some writers regardless of their syntactic, and photographic skills are really good at managing the relationship between Audience - Rhetor - Context, they do it naturally, even unknowingly. That explains to a certain extent why some RR might have lousy to OK writing, and lousy to OK pictures, but still draw a ton of comments, and interaction.

Of course the context is key, but in your case it does not come under scrutiny, you guys are riding around the world... So context: - check.

Please do not think that I am criticizing your writing style or photographic skills in any way, I am just trying to provide some perspective. I do write a little, and read a lot. If I do have some formal training, by no means do I consider myself an expert.

I think that the challenge is moving away from reporting, and into intuition, perception, reflection. As this or that is happening, how are you feeling about it? When you have a conversation with your partner or a custom official, a vendor, what happens? Be more reflective... When you think about all that, does it make you sad, happy, frustrated? When you shaved that last blind curve a little hot and lost your line, your blood went cold for that brief second, etc... What went through your head then? How did you feel about what went through your mind when it did?

Now tell a story, as oppose to write a ride report. It could come from the heart, the brain, the gut or simply from your fingers dancing on a keyboard. Don't worry about anything else i.e. how well you are telling it. When you are done, take the media artifact that you think captures the moment the best, and caption it with a few words (ten or less) -that do not describe the picture, video, sound bite...

Do it again, and again, and reapply without moderation.

Punctuation is (for me) very important, on the web we have emoticons which when used properly almost always draw attention to your prose.

I have been successful probably because I have always realized that I knew nothing about writing and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly.

- Edgar Rice Burroughs

Hemingway could write six words, and have you hooked:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Can't wait for your next post

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #270
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Sara, I love your report. I'll try my best to answer your questions, though I doubt I have the correct answers.

Quote:
I am writing our RR on the road. I get views but very few comments. Like others have said I don't want it to just be comments like some RRs. I really enjoy hearing from other riders when I do get comments. Besides controversy how can I stimulate more interaction?
Your posts are way to long. You guys jumped from Canada to Mexico in only 2 pages. Even though I have high-speed cable internet, page 2 is slow to load because there are so many photos on one page. This limits your viewers to readers with high-speed internet. Also, I think it has the effect of limiting comments as you leave no room for people to interject about a particular place or event until you are much further along in the story. Try limiting each post to 10-15 photos each. This will have the effect of spreading your report across more pages and I think will invite more readers to jump in.

Remember, your readers are motorcycle enthusiasts. Talk about the riding more and don't forget to get photos during each riding phase. While I'm sure it was the last thing you wanted to do at the time, you will regret not having photos of the mud day on the Dempster as the miserable days will be the ones you remember the most fondly. (And are the ones we most want to see.)

Quote:
I wouldn't worry to much about this. Your subscribed readers will return when you do. Of course, you can take this time to do the gear reviews as you suggested, maybe re-edit a few of your favorite photos, or take the time to edit a nice video.

I would also suggest you edit your first post every so often to include a few teaser pics and maybe a map of your route and current location. The best examples of this are The Mobius Report and From Estonia with Love.