Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #121
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
there is no insufficient, there is only reports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota
I try to do a ride report update daily and am usually too tired to worry about photo editing so you get what I have untouched. sorry if that is insufficient for the forum.
i think one of the points that many of the posters on this forum are making is that each ride report is your own... do it as you see fit.

some of us like working with photos to make them the best they can be. some people like telling the report with just words. some like to make the report raw and post as it happens, with the images straight from the camera...

there is not really any insufficient photos or report... the idea behind this thread is users helping other users make their reports better by giving tips, ideas, methods to turn their report into art.

props for taking the time and energy to report daily from the road... it's not something that everyone can do.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #122
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
^^^^ ..what he said..

I'm usually too lazy to do much editing.. i just crop, resize, then upload. Most of my pics are 800 pxl wide, but a few are 1024. Occasionally i will sharpen, but not often. I'm real impressed with the results of Dave's photo editing.. it really livens them up. Maybe someday if/when i have more time, i'll go back & jazz up all my photos a bit..

Like has been said, it takes a lot of time to put together a report.. with decent descriptions & interesting, balanced photos. I'm at the point in my ride reporting where i'm looking for ways to save time & speed up the process! But i'm sure getting familiar with a good photo editing tool would do that, too.

I have been using Irfan view for years.. it was my photo viewer. Now it is my batch renamer, batch resizer, cropper, & will do a fair sharpen if needed. On a typical 3 day ride, i will take ~500 stills. I try to go through them after a batch rename & pick ones with more interest. I'll crop those, resize, then save them in a new directory. Then i batch upload them into an image hoster, & paste them into the story. I write the story around the pics, as they refresh my memory.

Like i said earlier, i just use notepad to write the text. It's very easy to cut & paste the image or video links into the report. When i'm done, i paste it into my blog, & advrider &/or other forums. The forums that have a pic limit (like advrider) i will break up into smaller posts, if a day gets too many photos & goes over the limit.

writing reports is always a work in progress.. & it depends on many factors: how much time i have after the ride to put it together; how much fun it was for me & how stoked my residual enthusiasm still is; and of course, how much response there is. It's hard to maintain enthusiasm for a ride report if no one seems to be reading it.. we writers need some feedback, it seems.

What a great thread! Makes us think about composure, lighting, writing, & other good stuff, plus gives us something to babble about when we're not actually riding..
scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #123
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 2,974
Lakota,

I didn't mean to imply that there is some standard for photos on this forum. I've read several of your reports and just reread your Alaska trip. (God, I want to ride Alaska.) There's nothing wrong with your photos and I always enjoy reading your RRs.

As I said in post one of this thread some of the best RRs have crappy photos. I'll even go further and say great photos does not a great RR make. One of my objectives for starting this thread was to answer some of the specific questions I often get. I shared the information about post-production because I do get asked how I get the pics to come out like they do, not because I think everyone should. Hell, a year ago I would not have considered it myself.

I admire anyone that can put together a report while out on the road. I've yet to attempt it. If I do decide to report from the road, I'd still spend a few minutes to improve the photos.

While post-production CAN be very time-consuming (especially if you obsess over each photo individually) it doesn't have to be. Lightroom is specifically designed to make the workflow easy and fast. You can even process an entire batch of photos at once by applying a custom preset or making the changes you want to one and syncing the rest to the same settings. In other words you can process a thousand photos just as quickly as processing two.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #124
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
how about the art of replying?

i was reading through a few reports today, and realized while it's not talked about too much... there's also a subtle art of responding to a ride report. in this instance, there's probably more things not to do... but you get my drift.

as someone who responds to more reports than i write, i think one of the biggest things you can do when responding to someone's report is timing... try not to interrupt the flow, especially if they're posting a single day across multiple posts. if you're responding to something that they wrote on day 1, make sure that you say so, or use the quote button so that the time-line is apparent. it will make your response meaningful, and not random.

another thing that i think is even more important is to actually think about what you're going to write, either making sure it's relevant to the report, or relevant to the situation / rider / location. i've seen plenty of reports derailed by a few bad / misplaced / unrelated comments, that can get sidetracked by non-related banter amongst the people reading. a ride report is about someone sharing their experience with you. if you've got a story to tell also (maybe your experience in the same area / trail)... start your own ride report, but don't include your report in theirs.

...and a personal pet-peeve that's two fold: (1) don't quote a whole post (especially if there's multiple pics) just to say something that didn't need the quote there. the quote button should be used only if you're actually referring to what you're quoting in your reply. (2) use the preview button! make sure you didn't mess up the bbcode before you hit submit, or if you did... edit your reply to correct it!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #125
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Lakota,

I didn't mean to imply that there is some standard for photos on this forum. I've read several of your reports and just reread your Alaska trip. (God, I want to ride Alaska.) There's nothing wrong with your photos and I always enjoy reading your RRs.

Lightroom is specifically designed to make the workflow easy and fast. You can even process an entire batch of photos at once by applying a custom preset or making the changes you want to one and syncing the rest to the same settings. In other words you can process a thousand photos just as quickly as processing two.
Dave

Thanks for that (and Alaska is GREAT)

and damn you for saying how easy lightroom is. My daughter who is an aspiring professional photographer says the same thing. Now I will have to look at it! especially if I can use it on the road.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #126
mmg781
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Post-Production on the Cheap

For those of you with Macs, iPhoto has an "Enhance" button that will adjust photos automatically and make a huge difference. You can also manually tweak saturation, brightness, tint, etc. No extra software needed!

I was bummed with my photos from my cross-country ride this summer until I found that feature. I spent a glorious hour enhancing all my photos and all those magnificent colors of the West came flooding back!
mmg781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #127
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

mmg781,

Thanks for mentioning that. I meant to describe cheaper methods as well. Not everyone needs or wants an expensive software program. Most of us already have some basic photo editing software on our computers.

I first started touching up photos using the Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery "fix" panel. There are sliders for exposure and color. You can crop and correct for red-eye as well. The controls are pretty rudimentary, but can improve photos some. Often a crop and slight bump in color saturation is all your pics need.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #128
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Great thread, Thanks for starting it. I learned a lot.

I don't have much to add other than a simpler way to get screen shots than all those steps you are using. Mac has a built in app called grab. It is in the utilities folder. That allows you to drag the selection over just what what you want and it places a tiff file on the desktop. One short step and you are done. No need to do the copy paste stuff.

Also...
Lightroom.3 is awesome.
Panasonic lumix series are fantastic.
Canon G series are also fantastic and will shoot raw.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #129
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thanks for the Mac info azshtr. Windows 7 also does the same with the "Snipping Tool" which allows you to select any area of the screen and immediately save it as a JPEG. A lot less steps than having to open Paint.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #130
High Side
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Great Thread

Hi Dave,

I just came across this thread due to your posting on the "950/990 owners, show off your bike thread. I love how you have taken other angled shots while out on the road. I am going back to the beginning of this thread to see if I can pick up some more ideas.

I have only written two reports thus far (see signature line), but have taken a great amount of enjoyment in writing them. It brings the trip back to mind and as well records your event for others to hopefully enjoy. Each report I gain more experience as well as learn more features with photobucket to improve on the videos as well as the pictures. With my ride reports I'm trying to go with 70% entertainment, 30% factual info, and 100% humour. For our next adventure, we are now in the planning stages for South Africa. Can't wait !

I shot the following video this summer while our group was traveling across the Trans Lab. The editing and music was done on my Macbook Pro. Seeing your own one handed pictures reminded me of this vid. I laughed at your comment where boredom made you think of some new photo opportunities. That was the exact thing in my case as well.

Have a look and check our the ride reports if you need a good laugh !

Cheers,

H.S.

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #131
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
Great thread, I'm glad it got bumped.

I have a small tip. I find that conveying the essense of a ride or a place is sometimes difficult to do with a single image. Some photogs can do it consistantly but I can't. But I HAVE found a method that compensates for that weakness.

Photo collages allow me to condense a series of images together, the juxtaposition of the images create something greater than the sum of the individual components.

These collages are easy to create in the free program Google Picassa, which also has basic photo editing capabilities.

Google Picassa is not perfect, but it is free and fun to use. Picking the right photos and the right juxtaposition allows me to express myself in a new manner.

This post contains 38 photos! That many photos in a normal RR would overwhelm the viewer.

Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #132
ozmikl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
A couple of hints

Great thread, it has made me want to do 2 things
  • Finish my Trans Lab report.
  • Improve my RR's on the next trip this year.
A hint or 2 that I found handy.....

Camera peeking out between the screen and helmet

I have (or should say had) my camcorder velcroed to the brake fluid res. I just reac over flip the screen and push the button, worked a treat for vid although I must admit I don't think I tried a still while riding, it was great for the unexpected though as I could stop, rip it from the mount and take a reasonable still.

Trans Lab Trip diary entry on finding just how French the Quebecers are.

I would try and do my diary each day sometimes it streched into 3 or 4 days depending on how tired I was, my little cartoons still jog my memory better than words (especially the behind the scenes story)

Some one else said it and it relates to replys... Don't put the whole 48 pics from that page in the quote.... PLEASE.

I personally don't mind someones level of English if the story comes through it comes through and will make an interesting read.

Like I said at the start great thread and one that I am subscribed to, keep on teaching me.
Michael

Ducati ST2 Dual Sport Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post14187216

Do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs sit up all night contemplating if there really is a Dog?
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #133
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thumb

Nice tips guys.

Squidventure, I like that video. Nicely done. 106 MPH, One-Handed, ON Gravel! Living up to the name, Huh?

Rashnak, The photo collage is a neat idea. I will need to try that.

ozmikl, I like the diary entry.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #134
High Side
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Squidventure, I like that video. Nicely done. 106 MPH, One-Handed, ON Gravel! Living up to the name, Huh?

Like what you had wrote of your own experience, boredom drives us to do some interesting things .

After seeing your own pics, I now wish that I had hung off of it a bit to get those other angles. That may have led to another 911 moment though .

Since my earlier post, I have gone back and read this entire thread and agree with many of the comments posted by yourself as well by others who have chimed in here. There are many different styles of writing as well as photography concepts. When I read a ride report it is done sometimes for the entertainment, others to learn of areas that I intend to ride. I guess the main thing that separates the great from the rest are those that go the extra mile. If you can entertain, inform and even inspire to replicate from your own reports than you are on the right track.

As well practise make perfect. I feel that I have learned from each report as well as from threads such as this. All good.

Dave, I'd love for you to have a read through our two Squidventure reports sometime and give me your honest opinion (see ride report links below). Our group plans to continue on with these rides and I plan to continue with the reports. I want them to continue to improve and I can thank threads like this for making that possible.

As you advised earlier, here is another tidbit of whats to come :

Thanks and I hope you "get" our humour in them.

H.S.

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #135
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
One peeve I have of any post, not just ride reports... changing the font size and type. I don't even attempt to read them.

I like ChiTown's reports because he changes his font color to orange, as you can easily find his posts when scrolling through a page to find new entries. But it's very difficult to read a different font and size. To me, it's as bad as (or worse) than trying to read stuff without paragraph breaks.

And here's a BIG pet peeve that tends to piss people off but I'm gonna bring it up anyway... and I haven't yet seen it in this thread so I'm not calling anybody out. Learn to use apostrophes correctly. I would rather people NOT use them at all than use them wrong. Apostrophes do NOT go before the "s" in any word that is plural or otherwise ends in "s". Examples of INCORRECT use:

He like's the way this looks.
I bring my bike's with me wherever I go.
Check out my new pic's!

Apostrophes indicate possessiveness. These are CORRECT:

This is Rob's bike.
Joe's photos are excellent.
My bike's brakes are going to need replacement before the trip.

I'll leave it at that for now. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote