Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,282
Great photos and narratives. Planning to hit the TAT sometime in August. What's the average speed you normally take on these gravel roads? What's the lowered psi for your tires when on gravel? Thanks...good luck and ride safe.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
It's bringing back memories from last year.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Looking good guys! Looks like somebody came into this corner too hot and slid across it . I see skid marks in the gravel Be safe and have fun.

John

Yea, that would be my friend Chris that came in a little hot, no accidents though. Mike, the guy in the picture, asked the same thing when he stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
What's the average speed you normally take on these gravel roads? What's the lowered psi for your tires when on gravel?
It depends on the road. For loose gravel, maybe 40mph, straight and packed up to 60 mph. These twisties seem more like racing to me, brake into the turn and accelerate out. Everyone here has there own style and will ride accordingly though. We are running our PSI around 20 for both tires.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 06:30 PM
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Exile OP

Oklahoma

Oklahoma started out very nice since it had just rained, until we realized the roads were just getting flatter, and aside from the first day, it has been almost 110 degrees the last two days which is like riding in front of a giant blow dryer. It's actually cooler to have the face shield down...

So we stopped for a little break and got bored quick.

I was thinking it was going to be a whole lot of this...

Farms and barns...

But then one of them had these.

And soon we were making great time through the gravel roads of OK, making up lost time. A nice cool morning ride followed by a cooler clouded afternoon as the rain clouds moved in.

The day ended late as we got back on track with our nightly stops. Mike, Ryan and Tavis went to the motel that Sam had marked out, while Chris and I continued on to Wah-Sha-She state park in Hulah, OK. And what an amazing place that was. We camped right on the lake watching the sun set and a lightning storm roll in.

The next day through the big OK wasn't as exciting and didn't end well for all. Mike, Ryan and Tavis got off to a late start, while Chris and I were out with the sun.

And then we ran into this.

We probably should have heeded this...

So we went around.

And came to this. Later we learned that Oklahoma has had a lot of unseasonal rain for July...

We got an email from a group that is pacing us by a week that hit this part of the trail after 5 inches of rain overnight. One guy, I am told, burned out his clutch trying to get through the wet clay. I suppose we were fortunate. We saw their tracks later on.

Now for the sad part. As we left Tennessee, there were six riders. We are now down to three. After losing Paul on the first day, Mike and Ryan were in an accident yesterday. Since Chris and I left with the sun, we got into Alva, Oklahoma around 3:00pm after booking it through the miles of straight gravel roads. Mike, Ryan and Tavis were still 95 miles behind us. After getting within 5 miles of Alva, Mike hit a rutted area of road that he could slow down for. He made it through then stopped to signal the others to slow down. Ryan was already navigating the rough ground in Mike's dust, and came out right behind him. Ryan crashed into the back of Mike's bike and broke his arm in a weak area in the fall. Ryan's front rim was bent with a flattened tire, and Mike's rear end was slightly tweaked. Medics took Ryan to the medical center in Alva and patched him up until he can get back to IL.

We are sorry for the loss of two more great riders from our group. These are the risks we take when we ride though. Mike and Ryan plan to finish the second half in time. Good luck to you both.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 01:56 PM
Old 07-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #20
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
Now for the sad part. As we left Tennessee, there were six riders. We are now down to three. After losing Paul on the first day, Mike and Ryan were in an accident yesterday. Since Chris and I left with the sun, we got into Alva, Oklahoma around 3:00pm after booking it through the miles of straight gravel roads. Mike, Ryan and Tavis were still 95 miles behind us. After getting within 5 miles of Alva, Mike hit a rutted area of road that he could slow down for. He made it through then stopped to signal the others to slow down. Ryan was already navigating the rough ground in Mike's dust, and came out right behind him. Ryan crashed into the bike of Mike's bike and broke his arm in a weak area in the fall. Ryan's front rim was bent with a flatten tire, and Mike's rear end was slightly tweaked. Medics took Ryan to the medical center in Alva and patched him up until he can get back to IL.
Now that sucks! Hope they heal fast. Thanks for the report on Wah Sha She. I plan to stay there myself.

John
Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #21
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Thumb

Nice report & pics! Looks like you guys had a blast.

Thanks for taking the time......
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #22
Exile OP

Oklahoma continued...

The next morning we said our goodbyes to Mike, Ryan was still sleeping, and headed out to finish off Oklahoma.

And we got another look at the damage to Mike's bike.

Then we prepared ourselves for more straight roads, with an occasional cattle ranch. We also wrote some reminders on our bikes, see if you can spot them.

Then we hit some sandy paths and Tavis had a small spill but nothing major, then back to the straight, hot roads.

We finally got to Elkhart, KS and Cimarron River Campground in the National Grassland after 283 miles that day. We set up camp then I took a nap as Chris went to explore and somewhere along the way lost his 1 gallon reserve tank.

Finally the morning that we were looking forward to arrived. We would finally leave the barren wasteland of cows that is Oklahoma. After the rainstorm that night, the roads were nice and packed...for the morning anyway. At least the breeze was cool...all day in fact.

And we saw some more wildlife, and found an area that was a little too wet...and had some fun.

And saw the tracks of those before us.

After I tried to snake my way through this bog, the others decided to go around.

As we approach the New Mexican border we found a cow that tried to escape Oklahoma...it almost made it.

Then we were in New Mexico.

And saw hills and curves again.

About midway through NM we came to the rocky uphill climb. It was so fun, I couldn't stop to take a picture.

And the view from the top.

Early afternoon we made it to Colorado and the nice town of Trinidad where I sit typing this. Valcom Motorsports was first on the list where we changed our oil and Tavis got a new air filter. It was a nice stop off, as we talked with the owner about our trip.

Then we headed for Trinidad Lake state park. On the way I noticed another broken weld on my rack which caused a stress fracture on a second weld. Back to Valcom where I was directed across the street to the co-owners welding shop. His guys fixed the welds in no time while we talked with the other owner about the dirtbike and hare scramble scene in Southern Colorado. I want to move out here.

Here are some pictures of Trinidad's main street and Trinidad Lake. The state park was a very nice place but almost expensive as a motel. So we chose the motel and got some laundry done. I'm pretty sure a couple of the water holes we rode through today had a higher ratio of cow piss than anything.

The best parts are yet to come. Colorado begins tomorrow.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 05:23 PM Reason: Forgot a day through OK.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #23
mototwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Dropped out but will return to finish what we started

Carry on guys we'll miss being part of the team. Mike & Ryan

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...ryID=7227&on=1
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototwin
Carry on guys we'll miss being part of the team. Mike & Ryan

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...ryID=7227&on=1
Hey Guys sorry about the mishap. I am headed that way next week and wondered if you had a gps location of the crash. Any other heads up greatly appreciated.

John
Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
mototwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Crash

The accident happened after finishing Sam's charts, when they end follow Sam's advise and follow the map on paved roads to Alva.
If it's raining avoid these roads, too muddy and slick, another rider before us burned his clutch trying to get through. In fact if it's dry I would avoid the second day on dirt and slab it to Alva. Not much to see, hot, dusty and absolutely straight dirt road for 60 miles with blind intersections every mile or so.
Save yourself for much better ridding and scenery in New Mexico and Colorado.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
Yea, that would be my friend Chris that came in a little hot, no accidents though. Mike, the guy in the picture, asked the same thing when he stopped.

It depends on the road. For loose gravel, maybe 40mph, straight and packed up to 60 mph. These twisties seem more like racing to me, brake into the turn and accelerate out. Everyone here has there own style and will ride accordingly though. We are running our PSI around 20 for both tires.
Thanks guys...hope the rest will heal quickly. You all seem to be very compatible..which is a rare thing these days. Cheers to you all and ride safe.

By your estimated speed you seem to cover about 200+ miles a day or more? I am a senior oldie and don't expect to try hitting 60 mph except on paved sections. Going 40 mph for 10 hours will entail to about 400 miles which I am sure you believe is excessive for a days run in the heats you're going through, right?
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #27
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototwin
The accident happened after finishing Sam's charts, when they end follow Sam's advise and follow the map on paved roads to Alva.
If it's raining avoid these roads, too muddy and slick, another rider before us burned his clutch trying to get through. In fact if it's dry I would avoid the second day on dirt and slab it to Alva. Not much to see, hot, dusty and absolutely straight dirt road for 60 miles with blind intersections every mile or so.
Save yourself for much better ridding and scenery in New Mexico and Colorado.

I really liked that section, it was a blast!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #28
Exile OP

As we left Trinidad, we were greeted with these twin peaks as we headed into the foothills of the Rockies.

Then into La Vetta for gas after 80 miles.

And back on the trail.

By mid-afternoon, we happened by some horses in the road. I'm not sure if they were wild or broken but they were used to humans, probably assuming we had food.

And then this happened...again.

Caused by another one of these.

But soon enough we were back at it. After getting gas in Westcliff, we headed into the Rockies toward Salida.

At this point we were 10 miles from Salida, CO. Since it was all downhill, we shut off our engines and coasted down in neutral. Then the unthinkable happens. Three miles outside of Salida on CR175, I was bring up the rear and coming around a left hand blind curve on a cliff side when I collided head-on with a Ford truck.

This accident was caused by my own stupidity and I will own up to it. I was still coasting downhill as I had been for the past 5 miles. Then the genius idea came into my head that I should take a video of this serene setting. So riding one-handed, without my helmet on, I took the inside corner of the curve...I was later ticketed by the state police for not driving in my lane. This has reinforced a lesson that should have already been known. Don't be stupid.

Since both myself and the truck were going about 10 mph upon collision it was like hitting a brick wall. The accident bent my right fork inward and the rim hit the truck's tow hook, saving the tube and tire but bending the rim. The truck had a very small dent in the bumper. My right mirror was broken, the right hand-guard came off, and my driving lights were broken.

I suffered minor injuries with a nasty scrap on my inside forearm below the wrist, a six inch bruise down my chest, and a lot of pulled muscles in my leg at the knee. I was lucky.

The bike was ridable, and I was able to get it down into Salida to find a motel. So we spent an extra day in the tourist trap of Salida working to get my bike fixed. Again we were very fortunate to run into a guy that new another guy who had a work shed with a hydraulic press. There we were able to bend the fork back in place with the advice of mx_rob from ThumperTalk, and bend the rim more or less back in place using a big vise.

And then we went to eat in historic downtown, took a nap and rested, and here I am at the local cafe posting. We leave tomorrow morning to finish Colorado.

My Site
TAT 2010 RR!
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 02:00 PM
Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #29
EndOverEnd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
You got pretty lucky to be able to walk away from the crash in relatively good shape man.

I'm liking the riding so far, makes me want to do it the more I read and see the pictures.

Thanks for posting.
EndOverEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #30
DIRTDUC
Banned

Oddometer: 644
been there done TAT..

Hey guys...good luck on the ride...I just finished the trip a week ago...did from Arkansas onwards solo as my riding partner fell off too many times in the ozarks and ran home..had a big off just outside of Battle mountain nevada where the road is terribly rutted out...be careful where it tells you to go down gasoline road I think it called it (turn left onto gasoline road)... You have probably already found out the Hancock and Tamichi passes are closed...from St Elmo you can go up to Tin Cup pass but ask in the store if it is still closed...but it is a nice ride up there, but unfortunately you have to go back into Salida if they are still closed..My pic of the dead cow in Oklahoma was a little less flyblown... god I was glad to get out of that state... I have started writing a little road report under the heading of just finished the TAT solo...I will see if I can remember any other pointers for your trails ahead...from where you are on it starts to get really good....challenging in spots but well worth the efforts...If you need stuff in Moab Utah call into Arrowhead Motorsports,,,really nice guy and has everything you need...
DIRTDUC is offline   Reply With Quote