Who me?

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for sharing it!
DallasMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #107
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 923
Just went through your thread after completing my TAT and back trip a little over two weeks ago.

I definitely understood how you got ground down going across Nevada. It kicked our butts also. The last day in Nevada was the toughest for us. We found the climbs on that last day to be as difficult as anything that had a bypass earlier in the trip. How did your two riding buddies who rode the last day in Nevada find the climbs?

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #108
cdabom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Those climbs on the last day in Nevada were crazy. Your right, they were just as hard as all the previous hard climbs we had. It was all worth it though for those great views!
cdabom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #109
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,367
Great report.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #110
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Great Report

Really nice ride report! I'm preparing to do the western TAT in about a week, and this has been really helpful. I'm hoping the bridge to Hancock Pass has been fixed!

Most of your photos look really good -- nice color balance and saturation. What camera did you use?
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #111
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
I remember that rocky steep uphill in Oregon, whew, a few turns and branches thrown in for run to. Looks like you dumped right where I did. I only lost it once, but wow it was touch and go. Later that day I took a wrong turn and got into a lot of fallen trees, we kept hoping things would get easier, but things only got worse, bad thing I I thoughht we were on the trail due to other bike tracks!!! We were cutting some trees on the way...oh well at least it was easier backtracking!!

BTW- give me your impressions of Black Dragon, hopefully you appreciated the rock ramps we made earlier in our trip through. It was very rough for this novice.

Near Winnemuca and paradise Valley do you remember making it to a creek crossing which had two deep sections? If you went to the right of the main trail there was a section which was a little easier, with a cleared path. It took us a little cutting to clear it out. Down a steep but short downhill into the creek then to clear the other side you had to bounce the front over the bank to get out.

Farmhouse on the other side.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #112
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
Really nice ride report! I'm preparing to do the western TAT in about a week, and this has been really helpful. I'm hoping the bridge to Hancock Pass has been fixed!

Most of your photos look really good -- nice color balance and saturation. What camera did you use?
Thanks!

I had a Canon SD870 IS Digital ELPH and Chris had a Canon Digital SLR. The pictures are all a mix between the two.
My DR650 Build
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #113
Exile OP
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I remember that rocky steep uphill in Oregon, whew, a few turns and branches thrown in for run to. Looks like you dumped right where I did. I only lost it once, but wow it was touch and go. Later that day I took a wrong turn and got into a lot of fallen trees, we kept hoping things would get easier, but things only got worse, bad thing I I thoughht we were on the trail due to other bike tracks!!! We were cutting some trees on the way...oh well at least it was easier backtracking!!

BTW- give me your impressions of Black Dragon, hopefully you appreciated the rock ramps we made earlier in our trip through. It was very rough for this novice.

Near Winnemuca and paradise Valley do you remember making it to a creek crossing which had two deep sections? If you went to the right of the main trail there was a section which was a little easier, with a cleared path. It took us a little cutting to clear it out. Down a steep but short downhill into the creek then to clear the other side you had to bounce the front over the bank to get out.

Farmhouse on the other side.

That rocky uphill in Oregon was awesome, and definitely unexpected. I believe we all dumped our bikes trying to get up. But we eventually made it and continued on easily...until my rack broke again. Haha.

Black Dragon was incredible rough for me, since I was still injured and ended up going down, mostly in sand, about 8 times that day. After one spill, where Black Dragon goes under I-70, I was ready to get on the interstate and head back home. I was exhausted. I think if I hadn't been so beaten I would have liked it a lot more. It definitely was nice in there.

I don't remember the spot near Paradise Valley that you are referring to but the other guys might.

Thanks for the comments!
My DR650 Build
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #114
cdabom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Wow, I was just browsing ride reports and our old thread popped up. Back from the dead!
I do kind of remember that crossing. If I remember right it was very easy.
Would love to do the TAT again!
cdabom is offline   Reply With Quote