Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
First Solo Weekend Adventure - Mt Evans Colorado

Hey all,

Headed out Friday on my first of many weekend solo adventures to summit Mt Evans in Colorado. The ride came to an abrupt halt today and I had to trek home in a cage, but I'll post the ride report I have and the ones that I am writing post trip.

These will be pretty long winded, as I have a lot to post over a 4 day time frame.
3) Crash and burn, reflect on why in the hospital - Bitterest
Neocryptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Mt Evans Colorado - Day 1

Made it to La Junta Colorado last night. Intended on going all the way to Colorado Springs, but 563 miles in one day proved to be plenty. Besides, it was 4:45 this morning and I've got get at least SOME beauty sleep to maintain my dashing good looks. ;)

Found out that I forgot to change my rear brake pads during the maintenance bout I did the other day, and I REALLY need them. Gonna see if there is a bike shop in town, otherwise I'll pick something up in Pueblo later this morning. I had intended to pick some up in Wichita, but it would seem that the town closes down at 5 (what's with that?).

Met a pretty interesting (meaning someone crazier than me) while passing through Cherryvale Kansas. She seemed like she spent a lot of time without human contact or something along those lines. She told me all about driving a big rig through Colorado, and some of the mischief to be had in doing so. I really didn't want to get the mental picture of half of what she was talking about!

I got back on the road as soon as I could break away from her. Have to love the ones that talk your ear off. :)

Anyway, I stopped at this gas station called Tripco about half way between Cherryvale and Wichita to get a drink and rest the tushkus. It seems that I now need a new hose for my hydration pack, as it slipped out of the pack and roasted itself against my exhaust...note to self, scrape plastic off exhaust tip.

While at Tripco, Elmo told me he liked the name, so I got a picture of him promoting their little fill up spot. Picked up a shot of a Little Red Corvette (one down) convertible while in the parking lot. The owner had a good giggle when I explained what I was up to.

As luck would have it, shortly after leaving, I found the allusive Needle in a Haystack. Turns out it's about 1/4 of a mile west of Tripco...who'd a thunk it?

The rest of the ride into Wichita was pretty uneventful, except for some really nice wind gusts and this gargantuan white 4x4 trying to occupy the same parking space I was in at O'Reilly's in Augusta. For those traditional ladies out there who know how to keep your men in line, I found you a Cast Iron Skillet (seems it's a restaurant in Augusta.

Road into Wichita (around it actually, who wants to fight traffic with a loaded bike...maybe a loaded water balloon launcher...that might be fun). Missed my exit for US k-96 West and proceeded to south Wichita purely by accident. Found a place to stop for a bite called The Wild Hog BBQ Pit...born to be wild? Took the pics and ate the grub, but I think I'll keep looking for a better pic opportunity.

The wait staff there were arguing over who gets to take the picture of me and Elmo by the sign until the manager came out and told me to take it myself, but that the dishwasher was waiting for me outside
already...can you say confused? Anyway, got the pic, re-situated my load and strapped Elmo to the back. Wanted to see how many smiles I could induce on the way to Dodge City. (as it turns out, I think I'll do that the entire trip...Elmo was a hit with a TON of people...pics probably floating around on the net already)

I got back on the road, the right one, and headed West once more!

~on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again~

Made it to Hutchinson without much to do. The now usual entourage of folks speeding up to get a good look at Elmo, and my slowing down to let them take pics. I'm such a nice guy...and not narcissistic at all! ;)

Had a good time harassing the locals and a U-Haul driver in Stafford. I asked this gal that got out fo a truck what town I was in...playing the rock star and missed the sign at the entrance to town. Hahaha. Turns out, her man doesn't like any guys talking to his girlfriend...what a jerk! Moving on now.

Boring (and I do mean BOOORRRRIIIINNGG) ride the rest of the way to Dodge City. It's starting to get late, but it's all good. I just figured I'll ride all night and sleep in Colorado Springs...oh how naive I am.

Pulled up to get gas in Dodge City, and was chatting with the store clerk gal while drinking a RedBull...another argument ensued between vexed lovers over me. This is becoming a very not good trend. Think I'll stick to talking to Elmo, he's good people anyway. :)

Did you know that at 1:00 a.m. there is a 143 mile stretch of HWY 50 that has no open gas stations? I didn't either, but I found out! Running on fumes, I pulled into Lamar Colorado and gave my Temptress a much needed drink. Did you also know that between 1:00 and 3:00 is the preferred hours for deer crossings, counted 13 from the border to Lamar...PUCKER POWER!

Starting to see the world in with funny eyes and knew that I wasn't going to make Colorado Springs, so I started hunting for a campground. Turns out the closest one is in La Junta (pronounced Luh Hunta). That's a decent stretch, but doable...

Got to KOA, did my night registration thing, and pitched my tent for the "night?". Setup beside a nice older couple on a Goldwing with a trailer tent...must be nice. I just chalk it up to my being young and stupid.

Day 2 will be posted tomorrow...

Neocryptica screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 10:46 AM
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Mt Evans Colorado - Day 2 - The Hunt!

Greetings fellow adventure enthusiasts (that's PC for people who like to see me get into trouble)

Today was less about the adventure of exploring Colorado and more about fixing the mode of transport that got me here.

As you know from the Day 1 post, I discovered no relief for my need of rear brake pads on my motorcycle in Wichita. I packed up camp this morning after a much needed shower at the KOA site in La Junta. Mostly the shower was to spurn the ever relentless heat that was rapidly encroaching on my comfort. Little did I know that today would be in the 102 degree range! Good thing I brought my heaviest (least ventilated) jacket and riding pants (with jeans beneath).

I met up with the managers of the campground, and apparently interrupted a rather interesting political conversation over taxation and the difference between a travelers / business person's view points. I figured it best to agree that, though needed, I didn't like them. The lady behind the desk came out to assist me by taking pics of myself and my fuzzy red travel partner.

I left La Junta and proceeded West on 400, looking to get to Pueblo and find a bike shop to get pads from. As I was riding I saw this pretty red 2010 Camaro with Kansas plates on it. THE RACE IS ON!!!

Ok, so the race was in my head, and I won hands down (sorry Tom and Linda...trophy's in the mail, right?). So, I got past them and was tooling along at a good click, when I started seeing all these cars coming toward me pulling over with their hazards on...what idiots...that's not how drive! YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Yeah, so it turns out I was the idiot, go figure. In my mirror I spy....a state trooper flashing a welcome greeting to what I thought was me. Get your game face on, this one will be hard to explain!

~You see officer, some fellow Kansans behind me were driving this hot car, and my bike told me that I HAD to go faster than them...~

I entertained the thought of dropping a gear, rolling on the throttle, and blowing his doors off! I could do it...he's big and fat with lots of horsepower, and I'm small and lighter (though fully loaded) with not as much horsepower...how could I lose? Suffice it to say, I put my blinker on an pulled over....

As luck would have it (for me), he whizzed by me at mach 6 destined for, what I soon found out, was someone else's great misfortune! A few miles down the road, past Fowler, a pickup truck and a big rig had been in a pissing contest and the big rig one. The driver of the pickup was life flighted to the hospital in critical condition. I hope he'll be ok.

I stopped in Fowler to get a drink and see what all the hubbub was. While I was there, my racing partners, Tom and Linda Moss, pulled up in that lovely little Camaro and we proceeded to chat it up and get a couple of pics together. Thanks for the chat guys, you are lovely people and it was a pleasure zipping past you. :P Just kidding, I enjoyed meeting you and wish you the very best.

Shortly there after, I headed out, turning off the music as I was about to interact with cops at the detour. As it turns out, the state trooper that blew the non-existent doors off my bike, was a very nice female officer that was very helpful with directions. She didn't even say anything to me about being a jerk and entertaining a recreation of an AMA sanctioned race on public streets!

Much to my dismay, I had left my phone sitting atop my backpack that was strapped to my tent and bedroll. I learned of my folly when I was turning to cross some railroad tracks and caught the suicidal theatrics of a Samsung slider hastening it's own demise (more like my stupidity, but we won't go there). I pulled over in a sandy patch beside the railroad tracks and ran back to recover my depressed device.

It's amazing how much a person in full riding gear resembles a part goer at Octoberfest when motioning for cars to not run over a phone. I'm sure I'll be in the local paper as "The Psychotic Biker Chicken Dance Performer" sometime next week. My luck though, I'll be on the last page right next to "Aunt Betty's Prize Cobbler Explodes in Protest".

Phone retrieved and crazy man back in the saddle, I proceeded down the suggested route by the trooper. There were cops everywhere, so my saddle surfing idea must be put on hold for the moment.

Enroute on highway 96 West, I decided to take out the new Sony still camera I purchased prior to the trip and get some highway shots. Never trust factory straps...they are great to look at, poor tensil strength though. The strap predictably snapped in mid shot, and the camera was doing it's best to become a wheel on the road!

Turning around to retrieve the, now busted, contraption, I was praying that at least the card was intact. As luck would have it, it was, and using my video camera, I made sure that all the images were retrievable.

Short after getting back on the road, I came to a little town called ~insert name here~...what a lovely little place. I found a metal building that was abundantly proud of their Pepsi Product inventory. I pulled in and rewarded their efforts by purchasing a....you guessed it...Pepsi!

The store clerk was very cool to chat with, though he kept giving me this look like I was some sort of stranger from the future, and if I was caught there after dark, might find myself in a taxidermist shop before I knew it. He was dressed in a black long sleeve shirt, black bandana around his neck in true cowboy fashion, with the obligatory roper boots, and weathered stetson hat and handlebar mustache. Truly my vision of what a cowboy should look like...except he needed a six shooter and horse, of course.

After our brief conversation, and consuming all I could of the carbonated beverage (which was about half), I went to pitch the bottle and continue on. After getting back on the road, I made my way to Pueblo, and stopped at the "Lug 'N Jug" to get a phone book and begin my painful journey into finding bike parts.

I pulled up, went inside and asked the cashier for a phone book, which she provided for the nominal fee of a strange look regarding my general appearance. Step one down!

Step 2, spend the next 2 hours trying to find a shop in Pueblo that had my pads...no luck, let's ride to Colorado Springs and try again. After throwing a tantrum when I passed the Pikes Peak Raceway, I accepted the notion that I would only be able to see mt Evans. Naturally I continued on, and arriving at a Conoco station, proceeded to go through all the listings for motorcycle shops in Colorado Springs, having about the same luck as I did looking in Pueblo! Ok, so let's widen the area again! After searching 4 bike shops in Denver, I found that Foothills BMW / Triumph actually had the pads....YESSSSS!

~What's this you say? You close in 45 minutes, but I'm in Colorado Springs...if I buy you a drink or do silly pet tricks will you stay open long enough for me to get there?~

Apparently that was not such an accepted idea, but giving them a card to charge the parts on, and letting them stash them in a super secret place was. Off to Denver I go.

I made it to Denver, taking it easy on the bike, I pull up at the dealership and dismount. As promised, the pads were stored in the location agreed upon, and I proceeded to strip the bike of all accoutrement, put it on the center stand, and tear into those rear brakes. As luck would have it, Elmo was a tremendous help, and together we got the brakes changed in no time. I fired up the bike, after snapping some shots, and tested the brakes...WE ROCK!

By this time, Elmo and i had resigned ourselves to the fact that since twilight is upon us, it's best we find the KOA near Idaho Springs, setup camp, and begin the photo hunt anew tomorrow. Strange place, after dark, getting pulled over for a tail light out on the left side and advised to leave the mountains with my hazard lights on until I could safely come back, and all taken into account, I found a Days Inn in Golden and bedded down.

This was my chance! I could find a bar or pub and get some of the more fun pics that might land me a bit of trouble!

No such luck, everything seemed closed. After trying the 4 bars that the hotel chick mapquested for me, i went back to the hotel for the night. I was in luck that "Enemy at the Gates" was on HBO (I love WWII movies), and watched it until I passed out....

Day 3 Coming Soon!

Neocryptica screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 10:39 AM
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Going home in a cage is no good.. let's hear why too and get some pics up

Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Pics

There ya go...figured out how to post them and updated the two prior posts.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 693
Nice !

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Mt Evans Colorado - Day 3 - The Top and Bottom

Good Morning World! It's time to get some breakfast, then see what we can do about this blinker issue and then head into the mountains for some fun!

I went to the restaurant at the hotel and ordered a belgium waffle with strawberries, bacon, and a cup of coffee to start my day. A hot cup of coffee seemed appropriate considering it was only 63 degrees outside and I knew that it was considerably colder in the passes above me. After getting my food I sat staring up in fascination at the peaks above, envisioning the possible scenarios I might encounter today.

The waitress gal came over to chat with me a bit, as I was all alone in this cold cruel world (melodramatic...I think not). ;) She had a sort of boyish look to her, but was an absolute sweetheart. We chatted in length about nothing at all for a while, then it was time to stop lolly gagging around and get on with the day.

I headed out to the bike and disassembled the blinker assembly to get a decent look at what might be causing the intermittent failure. After getting it all taken apart I realized that the bulb socket wasn't making good contact with the outside housing. Apparently there was a screw missing that secured the socket. Now if I just had a screw that would fit....I know, I now have a smashed camera that I can salvage parts from!!! :)

I returned to the room, retrieved the camera, and meandered back out to the bike. In true psychotic fashion, I reveled in destroying what was left of the camera, giggling profusely as I did, and looking for a suitable screw. I found one, but it was too long, and the threads were a bit too big. Time to southern engineer this bad boy! So out comes the multitool!

I measured the depth of the inset with my super accurate phillips screw driver head and snipped the excess screw length off. For past experience, I know that there will be a bur on the end that will hose the inner threads of the housing threads something fierce if I tried to screw it in as is, so naturally I broke out the file part of my little one hand tool kit and set to work smoothing it off and then using the edge to modify the threads on the screw to more closely fit.

All mods done, time to test. SWEET, IT ACTUALLY FITS! Testing the blinker a few times, I am satisfied that my learned skills (or lack thereof) has prevailed and I may now proceed to check out and head for the hills (or mountains in this case).

Back to the room, gear collected, stowed, and packed on the bike, I head to the front desk to check out. "Your last name, sir", which I provided..."we have no record of you in our system!"..."sweet, can I have my money back then?"..."uhmmm...what was your first name?"....lol They had apparently transposed my given and family names. It's all good...off in search of new scenery!

I headed up into the mountain passes, confident that the state trooper from last night would hinder my progress no more, thanks in part to the Sony Corporation and their wonderfully destructible products.

I knew the basic route that I was going to take, but decided to just tool around for a while too...it was early and I was in a great mood. I rode around for a couple of hours just playing with some of those wonderfully twisty roads up high and reveling in the amazing scenery all around me. What a beautiful place!

Aside from the occasional trucker or minivan driver playing the part of Mario Andretti through canyon passes, I was having the time of my life! Unfortunately I managed to get a tad lost in the process...that's ok though, that's half the fun of it anyway. :)

It's about time I head to my destination, so I stopped at this little biker bar called Kermmit's to ask for directions (yes ladies, a man that will ask for directions...please pick your jaw up off the floor, it's embarrassing). ;)

The entire inside of the bar was plastered in one dollar bills that had messages scrawled all over them. It was really cool! Inside were 3 gentlemen and a bartender with a very attractive look and disposition (in short...she was HOT!). After conversing with everyone for a bit, I learned of my whereabouts and how to get to Mount Evans (which was just a few miles from me as it were).

One of the guys was from Kansas as well, and comes 3 or 4 times a year to make take the same ride I am on...fancy that! he told me that the temperature on the mountain is in the low double digits, and it's probably closed. Dang it...I came all this way for nothing!

I decided to just wonder around the mountains some more playing taking photos, and called a friend of mine to shoot the breeze and what not. So I did exactly that!

(The Eisenhower Tunnel)

I found Idaho Springs and though I couldn't get up the mountain, I was going to get as close as I could, by god!!! As it turns out, fate was smiling on me at the moment. As I came into Idaho Springs, I was getting chilly and decided to stop for more coffee, but just as I pulled into Starbucks, I saw a tell-tale sign that peeked my interest...two bikes heading into town with one of the riders standing on his pegs, riding a dual sport bike. ADV inmates maybe?

I pulled out and proceeded to try and catch up for a chat. Little did I know, they were heading up the mountain to the summit of Evans. Now the guy at the bar said it was probably closed, but screw it, I'm going anyway, I want some two wheel conversation dang it!

I never did catch up to them on the road because of about 4 cars between us and no way to pass on the roads up. I did catch up to them at the Echo lake Lodge, just before the pay point to go up to the summit. It turns out that I'm not the only crazy toting around Sesame Street Characters. Each of them had one as well. The lady (I apologize profusely, I do not remember your name) had Elmo as well and the gentleman (Brooke) had Cookie Monster. They carried said characters because that was the namesake for each of their bikes.

She was riding an BMW F650GS and he was on an BMW R1150RS named....you guessed it, Elmo and Cookie Monster. What a lovely couple these two are!

(Elmo and mini-Elmo)

(Another shot of the Elmos)

(Elmo and Cookie Monster)

We headed into the lodge and sat down for a chat about their rides, my rides, and future exploits. It turns out that they make this ride every year, and gave me information about a ride coming up called the 100,000 Foot Ride. That sounds promising!

We decided to hit the road, me heading up, and them heading West. I offered to pay for our coffees, pie, and hot chocolate, but Brooke wouldn't have it. If you read this, thanks again for the great conversation and warm guts. it was a pleasure meeting you both. :)

So moving on I headed up the mountain. Now one thing to bear in mind is that I am terrified of big heights. I know, it's makes no sense to me either...scared of heights? Hey, why not ride a bike to the top of one of the highest points in the nation? Marvelous idea, you should roll with it!

The majority of the next few hours were spent with a crowbar, intermittently removing parts of my seat from the southern end of a north bound rider. I was bound and determined though, so let come what may, I'm getting up this damned mountain!!! And I did! It may not seem that big of a deal to some, and honestly it really isn't, but to me I was conquering an insurmountable obstacle on the road of life.

I made two stops while there, once at Summit Lake and once at the summit itself. Now being one of those dirty smoker types, I knew that the altitude was probably going to bother me a bit, and I was right. I got to the summit, parked the bike, retrieved Elmo from his bondage place on my backpack, and headed up on foot with 500 lbs of camera gear! (ok, so it only felt like 500 lbs...cut me some slack, I couldn't breathe and I was getting woozy) :)

About a thousand feet, not literally, above me was the actual summit. There were foot trail switchbacks all the way to the top standing between me and monumental vertigo...SWEET, can't wait!

I hiked to the top, trying in vain to strike up a conversation with several people that seemed like they might be nice, only to find that they were speaking something other than Russian, Japanese or English...guess I'm out of luck this go round. Oh well, I've still got Elmo to talk to. :)

I get to the top and look out over the landscape below. Now I had heard that there was a storm in the area, but what I didn't know is that I was now several hundred feet above it! This was awesome! I proceeded to take a bunch of pics of the view about me and promptly sat down to relieve the dizzy spell...it came and went, it's all good.

I struck up a conversation with an American couple, and we traded off taking pics of each other at various heights and of the lady's GPS watch doodad. Apparently we were at 14,313 feet above sea level.

That's the highest I have ever been on foot in my life. I figured I'd better head down to a lower altitude and try and kick this dizzy crap, so I hiked back down off the summit, cutting straight down the side of the decline instead of using the switchback.

I'm sure some people thought I was part mountain goat, as it took me about 15 - 20 minutes to hike up, and about 5 to get down. Anyway, I made it down, took a few more pics and resigned myself to heading out and putting a few hundred miles behind me in the direction of home.

On the way down, I encountered a situation that was beyond not comfortable. The road leading to the summit narrows a total of two times, by the top it closely resembles the side streets you see in European films...sskkiiiiinnnnnyyyy! As I rounded a 10 mph switchback, a black GMC Yukon settled in behind me a little too close for my taste, and I was also met by a dark brown Chevy Suburban coming at me. Now bear in mind I'm already dizzy, so this wasn't the safest of situations to be in. Oh yeah, one key element to bring to light is the 500,000 foot drop at the edge of the road (edge meaning literally, no shoulder)...I'm freaking out at this point!

With all this metal and mass coming at me, I did the only thing I felt I could...I stopped, jumped off my bike, mooned the Yukon, flipped the Suburban a California howdy, and pulled out my vast arsenal of ninja skills and hidden weapons to impress and intimidate them both!!!

Ok, so that's crap, I wet myself and stayed as far away from the edge as humanly possible without being tipped by the Suburban (jk about wetting myself, but it could have happened were I a little more of a glorybox than I already felt like). ;)

The rest of the ride down was pretty uneventful with the exception of having to turn on my hazards so people could see me through the clouds while approaching. Once at the bottom, I stopped at the lodge again for a bit of dinner, I didn't want to get out of the saddle when I left the mountain.

I had a wonderful dinner of seasoned wild trout with lemon, tartar sauce and a bacon potato salad to die for! At least I think that was bacon I ate...didn't really see any pigs around anywhere. Oh well, too late now.

I headed back out of the pass and found highway 70 East, the highway that would take me straight through Denver without having to stop, and offer the easiest travel for the longest distance, or so I thought.

I made it through Denver proper and caught the trailing edge of an ominous looking storm on the outskirts. Having the presence of mind that I did, I stopped and pulled my laptop and all my camera gear out, put it in sealed waterproof bags that I usually take on all my trips, and stowed it away once more...it is a VERY good thing I did!

About 30 miles East of Denver I started riding into the heart of the storm. As it turns out, the "light" part of the storm lasted for another 50+ miles, and then it decided to really hit me.

The wind was gusting up to about 50 - 55 mph, and I was riding in a slant for a long way. Wen I was 80ish miles from Denver the wind picked up even more, and all the cars were parked with hazards on the side of the road. I kept on riding (I had rain gear on, and my electronics were safe) for another 4 - 5 miles, and it started hailing. Seeing as how there is no shelter out here, and this isn't my first hail storm, I kept riding. Within a mile, the heavens opened up and started dumping what would be 3" of hail on everything around me.

(before the rain flap )

The bike was starting to get squirmy, so I decided to pull over and ride it out until some traffic knocked the hail out of my path...this would be the last twist of the throttle for my temptress and I didn't even know it.

I pulled the rain fly from my tent out, and secured it over the bike. Once done, I sat down beneath the front fairing and waited for the hail to stop.

After about 10 minutes, the hail subsided, and I removed the fly and climbed back in the saddle. When I turned the key and started her up, she would run until I let the throttle out...then she would die. I tried putting it in gear and holding to clutch (not that it would have made a difference, but I tried anyway) and she would die instantly!

Looks like I'm on foot from here. I remembered that there is a town 4 miles ahead called Limon, so I grabbed everything except my bedroll and tent and set off walking.

I got about a little under a mile or so, and a couple picked me up in a Chevy Malibu. I was told to throw my gear in, but insisted on putting it in the trunk instead of the back seat (it had nice leather seats that I didn't want to trash). The next 20 - 30 minutes were spent making the Malibu as closely resemble a snow mobile as possible. All along the way, people had slid off the road and into ditches or down exit ramps.

We got to Limon and they dropped me off at the Econolodge so I could have shelter for the night. I got a room and unpacked my gear after advising all of the inhabitants that, yes, I was in fact riding a motorcycle in this, and no, I did not know that I just rode through a tornado. Guess that explains the winds.

Proceeded to start calling friends and family when I got my gear spread out to dry. I found the movie Enemy at the Gates on HBO and settled in with a cherry coke and jumbo sized burrito from the gas station next door.

I talked to my buddy Todd, and we came up with a plan. The insurance company wanted to tow the bike to someplace local and tie me up for a couple of days with paperwork and crap, so Todd took the camper off his truck, threw a bike ramp in the back and set out from Broken Arrow to Limon (10 hour drive to come rescue a dork). This guy is a frickin ROCKSTAR!!!

The rest is not interesting, but I did like the movie...

Day 4 report forthcoming...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Mt Evans Colorado - Day 4 - The Long Road Home

Waking up in the hotel to Todd calling to let me know he's about 30 miles away. I grab a quick shower and head to the lobby for a bit of breakfast. While entangled in a reassigned torture device from the dark ages (rotating waffle iron) I had 3 or four people who watched me drag all my wet gear into the lobby the night before comment about me being nuts for riding in that storm last night.

I just told them it was easy, there was no other option since I was riding through a place that didn't have so much as a tree in site for miles.

Moving on...breakfast got wolfed down like a starving dog at a broadway showing of Cats. Back to the room to pack all my gear up and prep for Todd's arrival in a few minutes.

Gear packed and Todd shows up. We head to the truck stop across the street to pick up some straps for the bike, then head west to pick her up.

As we're coming up on her, we see that there's a State Trooper sitting on the side of the road where my bike was...was! WTF!!!

We get closer and notice that my bike is on it's side and doesn't quite look right!

We have to find a place to turn around a little way west of where we are, but I already know this is going to be a bad day.

We pull up behind the officer and I break out the Nikon, ready to document everything I see, which is a disheartening view, I assure you. Apparently sometime within the last 10 hours that the bike was off to the side of the road, a white truck swerved off the road, plowed into my bike, and then took off. Someone that was behind them and called the Highway Patrol when they saw it.

The rest, as they say, is history. I spent the next 10+ hours driving Todd's truck back to Tulsa. As an after thought, I did find a new ride along the way though....

Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
WOW that realyy SUX, glad you were not on it and I hope they catch the guy ASAP
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Wow!

I don't know about adventure... but that turned in to a heckuva story quick.

Sorry to hear.
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 141
Start over, please.

That was absolutely the terriblest ending I've seen on a RR for a long time!
Please get a really nice new bike and do another trip for us, please.
And... stay away from Eastern Colorado, etc when the Tornados come along! Limon is famous for that stuff!
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #12
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Re: Start Over Please

Yeah, so this trip didn't exactly go as I planned, but I sure did learn a lot about adversity.

I am in the market for a V-Strom 650, and as soon as my new phone comes in (an HTC EVO4 with internet tether), I am going to take the next 2 - 3 months out on the road (guess I didn't get enough abuse the first time). I work from home over the internet, so as long as I have a decent internet connection, I can pretty much work from anywhere...why not off the back of a bike or out of my tent?

The thing about this whole ordeal (aside from losing my bike), is that I had the time of my life and learned a lot about what I am capable of. All this did was spur my lust for being on the road that much more.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Yow! Hopefully your next trip will have a better ending!

Good luck with that V-Strom. I've been really enjoying mine.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,363
Ok - Firsts always get my attention I enjoy reading about peoples firsts.

You and Elmo were having such a good time but then not so much yet you seem to find the up side and make the best of what was thrown at you and plenty was thrown.

Just as I was feeling bad about the end of your ride I come to this.

Yep, that got me laughing

Keep enjoying what you do and keep that sense of humor.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Neocryptica OP
Adventurer

Keeping the humor alive

LadyBug,

Thanks, yeah there was a lot thrown at me, but honestly, that's exactly what I was hoping for. One of my main points in taking this ride was to see what I was capable of handling while on the road solo. Believe me, this ride didn't disappoint in that aspect!

I'm working on designing a top box setup that will allow me to work from the road and, with a little luck, my next ride will be a 2 - 3 month ride all over the US.

There's soooo much that I haven't seen yet that I am resolved in putting eyes on. The adversity portions of the ride, up until seeing the final state of the bike, gave me a good giggle. It didn't seem to matter what was thrown at me, I overcame it with a smile and renewed sense of self reliance.

One thing I'd like to do is ride most of the roads in the US, then I'll be planning an RTW in a couple of years. Now THAT should throw quite a few monkey wrenches at me to overcome. Until then, I'll just pick me up a new bike and keep on posting.