User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
wiggledbits OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Accident Damage Advice

Had a car pull out in front of me. I was able to slow down but still clipped her plactic bummper with the right fork and cylinder, crash gards are off to clean and polish. Bummped her over by hand after to make sure everything sounded good then bumpped it with the starter before starting it up. Started and seem to run OK. No new vibrations or noise. Damage is minimual looking to the forks and a dent in the header.

Qustion I have is could there be some internal damage that could come out down the road? I wouldn't think so but I've never crashed on a boxer.

wiggledbits screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 08:21 AM Reason: added photo
wiggledbits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Who was at fault? Is an insurance company involved if so who's? I had a car back into my bike 5 weeks ago and we are still discussing an adjustment from her ins co.

Find every scratch dent of\r bent items if your doing an adjustor estimate.

Get the wheel off of the ground and spin it looking for a bent rim then carefully look at the fork alignment to be sure it isnt tweeked. Same for the handle bars and mirror. Take the bike for a long ride to see how it handles, and if the cylinder starts to leak oil.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 870
Holy crap

thats a significant dent in her car.
Glad you are OK.

I only know my experience with USAA when an RV backed into me on my 1150. They were extremely giving and allowed the dealer to ID every tiny scratch on the bike since it also meant I was saying clearly "I am fine, no medical damage here".

So I do not believe in getting more than what is right but I do believe in getting everything an insurance company wants to give to make your bike right again.

I don't think there is any internal damage however keep this in mind, when I got all the repairs done on mine, the right crash guard was bent slightly and they had been so generous that I didn't make a fuss about it. But sure enough about 4 months later that crashguard broke right at the weld so I should have had them replace anyway.

I would have a dealer look it over to be sure no head tube vs frame tweak or misalignment.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,868
I'd be most concerned about front end damage.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
wiggledbits OP
Gnarly Adventurer

She was at fault. She pulled out from a cross street with a stop sign right in front of me. We couldn't see each other until the last couple of seconds and the reason I was hugging the left part of the lane and going slow/under the posted 30MPH speed limit. I couldn't avoid her as there was on coming traffic in the lane left of me. I could have squeeked by brakes clamped until she paniced when she saw me and moved forward another foot or so. She is very young and was very upset.

Right, I just want the bike back to what it was, still in need of a detail cleaning but in near mint OEM condition. Fortunately no one was hurt. I have as yet to talk to either ins company mine or hers. I have Geico she/her parents have Liberty.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
CafeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Regardless of how this settles out, i'd have a frame shop check the frame for damage and dimensions, especially the steering head. Check the paint around the steering head. If there are signs of cracked paint, you have damage.

I wouldn't trust the forks and sliders. There could be microscopic damage that could show up as a catastrophic failure at a later date. Unfortunately, you might not live to discuss it. Toss them and replace the front end with a known good front end.

My advice: DO NOT ride the bike until this is all checked out.

Just my pre-tax $0.02.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 870
I agree with cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDude View Post
Regardless of how this settles out, i'd have a frame shop check the frame for damage and dimensions, especially the steering head. Check the paint around the steering head. If there are signs of cracked paint, you have damage.

I wouldn't trust the forks and sliders. There could be microscopic damage that could show up as a catastrophic failure at a later date. Unfortunately, you might not live to discuss it. Toss them and replace the front end with a known good front end.

My advice: DO NOT ride the bike until this is all checked out.

Just my pre-tax $0.02.
The insurnace company should cover that and if they give you fair value ...lets say 2500 on the fork damage you will have enough to have some quite nice frontend after all is said and done.

Again though, chipped paint or not, let a dealer be sure and certify that head tube is ok.

Hopefully it is, because if not, and discussion begins around new frame or frame replacement the hornets nest of "total loss" enters the conversation in which time blue books enter the conversation and you could end up screwed.

Get friendly with a dealer now on the phone so they can tell you what to expect. I don't know if thats what made the difference on my 1150, I was hit in Nevada and rode it to BMW San Fran to get diagnosed and the dealer and the insurance company both did me well.

Again I think $5,000 checks are a walk in the park for these companies compared to common accident damage checks.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,646
The front fork tube is most assuredly bent. If you have a dealer nearby that is Airhead friendly get an estimate for replacing both fork tubes, labor and parts. In addition to whatever cosmetic damage.

There may be a bend in the fork lower brace. Good possibility of this part being bent. The upper and lower fork triple clamps are going to have to be checked. I'd guess the upper may have damage. Would have to look carefully at the lower triple.

In other words, the entire front end of your bikes needs to be taken apart and reassembled with any bent or damaged parts. You may find more damage that I have mentioned, I doubt you will find less.

You also want a new header pipe. A lot of riders don't realize that a small dent at that spot is detrimental to the engines tune and running. New pipe and labor. This dented pipe will adversely affect the longevity, life, of the engine. Engines have blown up with only slightly more of a dent. There is no such thing as a minor dent to the pipes.

Part of the problem is the value of the bike is quickly less than the estimate of the damage. Make it clear that you want to fix and keep the bike. The insurance will be trying to say it is a $2,000 bike, or a $1,000 bike, and cap the payment at this. This is one of those areas where you do not want to forget the year and model motorcycle you have here. Also helpful will be any receipts for parts recently replaced and costs for the labor.

Find auction values from online and other auctions completed to help establish the actual value of your bike.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
The insurance company sent a guy out to video tape the damage to my bike. He turned it over to an adjustor and we have been going back and forth on a settlement. The adjustor never looked at the bike.

He did tell me there is a point when they will total the bike when the repair costs come close to the value of the bike. Dont expect them to give you $5000! I told him I was doing all of the repair work except for painting some fairing pieces.

NADA has a vintage bike value guide, Start here and work your way down to your bike. It's up to you to convince them of the value.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2014/BMW
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
wiggledbits OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope to avoid the whole bike totaled and then bikker on a final settlement and buy back price. Unless it comes to my advantage. I then wouldn't mind doing the work assuming the cylinder is OK. Besides over the weekend I found a nice bench seat OEM style and a set of Konis just down the road from home and for CHEAP. Sorting out the front end was next on the winter bike project even ahead of a fluid change in the R100S with iABS.

Remember that the big ding in her bummper is the plastic. I think only the header hit any metal. I beleive I was going less than 10MPH and maybe as low as 5 on impact. BUT I will have our local independent BMW shop do the look over and etimate. The local BMW dealer is crap! IMO Beside I doubt they would touch an airhead judging by the way they have dealt with me on parts. Good thing riding sean has all but ended here as his booking window is often 3 weeks out. He is that good and that popular with the BMW, Ducati and Aprilla crowd.

I have ridden it and hands off there seens to be some front end shake, I don't know if it was there or not before. I don't see any bend but that doesn't mean there isn't any. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Thanks fo rthe input.

wiggledbits screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 01:13 PM
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,258
Was that leak there before on the base gasket? Any hit on the header is going to put stress on the cylinder studs. You could be looking at pulled threads so worth checking properly.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
wiggledbits OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Was that leak there before on the base gasket? Any hit on the header is going to put stress on the cylinder studs. You could be looking at pulled threads so worth checking properly.
I guess technically that is a leak. It was there before and upon closer examination it can be seen as dirt collecing on a oil spot. My oilhead has the same spot only it cleans up better on a painted/clear coated surface. I figured "they all do that".

Cynlinder is definitely where I will make sure the shop looks, as well as forks and stearing head alignment. No flaking paint on the frame anywhere, wheel rotates fine no wobble or wow.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
windsurf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Wow - its easy to see why they say the US has a blame claim culture! phrases like microscopic damage, bent frame, pulled cylinder studs. Look down the forks, if they look straight get on and ride the bugger.
Yes the reflector is damaged, minor paint chips on the guard, minor dent in the header pipe - so what? Just be thankful you are OK.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
CafeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
Wow - its easy to see why they say the US has a blame claim culture! phrases like microscopic damage, bent frame, pulled cylinder studs. Look down the forks, if they look straight get on and ride the bugger.
Yes the reflector is damaged, minor paint chips on the guard, minor dent in the header pipe - so what? Just be thankful you are OK.
With all due respect, that is irresponsible advice. If the fork slider is cracked, not visible by simply looking down the forks, a catastrophic crash can be the result of "just ride the bugger". My advice had NOTHING to do with a claim or blame. It had EVERYTHING to do with the safety of this rider. So what? Unreal.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,646
I can almost guarantee the fork tubes are bent. Most likely there is other damage too.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote