User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,876
Father & Son WV trip

Last year I took some personal time and rode the TAT. During the course of that adventure I updated a real-time rr about my trek along the trail here on ADVrider and by the end of my travels, I had my father interested in doing some dual-sport riding. Now he's been riding street for several years, but this dirt thing was something new. First things first was to find him a bike. Knowing what I knew from having started the TAT with a KLR 650 and ended with a DRZ 400, I told him to get something small and light; for the longest time we looked at all kinds of 250's. In the end, he got a DRZ 400 like mine (except two years newer). Not a bad choice being that I personally really like this bike and find it a very capable steed, but if we were going to be riding together, both of us riding the same bikes would have its advantages if things were to go wrong with one bike.

We tried to get together for a small campout trip earlier this spring, but due to mechanical issues with the bike, my father was unable to come along (this would have been his first, trial run with off-road riding). So instead, this 4 day trip would serve as his induction into off-road riding. To make things a little more difficult, I had no ability to really plan out the trip as my computer had crapped out about a month before; this left me with an albeit new computer, but without my Mapsource GPS mapping software and applicable maps (they were in boxes in VA while I live down in Key West, FL). Luckily though, I'd been in touch a while back with Igofar and gotten his tracks to the Trans-West Virginia trail, and the day before we were to leave, I re-installed mapsource onto my new computer, and uploaded the tracks for the TWVT onto my GPS which luckily had on them the Garmin City Navigator maps for that area. Riding this trail had been my goal all along, so aside from not being able to layout a route to the trail from VA and back to VA from where-ever we left the trail, we were OK.

In the end, we spent 4 superb days of riding all kinds of roads, seeing some great country, meeting some good people, and improving our riding skills!

Here's a little teaser shot taken of us on our last day as we made our way back home; this picture was actually take in Virginia on top of Flagpole Knob, west of Harrisonburg.

I'll get the rest of the pictures and the story up once I finish uploading all the pictures. Not to mention the fact that I've got to get all my stuff back together and head back down to FL the day after tomorrow!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,664
Father and son trips are always special.. thanks for sharing yours..

Since it's a short trip, I'm moving this thread to Day Trippin', our new ride reports forum for short trips

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
Can't wait xc! I'll be posting a WV father and son RR this weekend as well
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 10,801
This one's gonna be epic!

SirWrecksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
XC, looking forward to it
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 720
Great start, bring it on

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,363
That's great Denis. You and Mike are fortunate; neither my father nor my son rides. Carry on!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Day 1

Alright, so here goes day 1!

Now, I can't even begin to describe the excitement that I felt leading up to this little excursion. Like I said, I've been living down in Key West, and to put it mildly, there's simply NOWHERE to ride down here!
Then there was of course the fact that I'd been doing this little trip with my dad!
The day started off with a bang, and when I got to my parents' house to meet up with dad, I reallized that I'd left my wallet at my buddie's house! No big woop, just cause us to track back a little bit. My plan was to head from Orange on some back roads to Stanardsville, and then pick up route 33 over the mountains into West Virginia. From there I would pick up Briery Gap road that would take up past Spruce Knob, Spruce Knob lake, and eventually down to Laurel Forks campground (by way of a few turns).

Just a few miles into the trip, I accidentaly route us down a dead end gravel road. I'd always wanted to check it out, and the GPS said that it went thru!

After eating a little humble pie we were back on the road. We stopped on top of the mountains between Stanardsville and Elkton and took a picture by the historical markers there.

The ride back down the mountain to Elkton was fun, but then followed by a some miles of not so exciting road to Harrisonburg. However, route 33 west of Harrisonburg becomes quite fun as you cross into West Virginia! Here are some actions shots of dad on his DRZ!
Warning: Be prepared to see a LOT of actions shots of my dad!

Past Brandywine and such, we eventually turn onto Briery Gap road and head towards Spruce Knob.

On top of Spruce Knob.

Next, Spruce Knob lake.

Continuing down the trail to the Laurel Forks campground.

We reached Laurel Forks campground around 2:30pm or so, and got our tents set up. With so much daylight still left, and me ITCHING to ride some dirt, I decided to take us for the loop that I'd done when I was here back in April for the spring campout at Laurel Forks. The following shots are from the loop up Smith Mountain road, to Seneca Rocks, and back to LF.

Seneca Rocks.

While at Seneca Rocks, we rode up as far as we could up the road/trail up towards Seneca Rocks. This was the site of one of the early N.A. tags. Last time I was here, I was on my Harley! (Dad couldn't believe it!)

See the truck over dad's right mirror!? That was the official tag spot.

From there we started to B-line it back to camp as it was starting to get dark!

And out camp for the night.

I swear, the fact that our bikes and tents are color matched was PURELY ACCIDENTAL! I didn't even notice until I was going through the pictures!

Stats for the day.

After a little bit of lasagna in meat sauce for dinner, and a little Jim Beam and coke to wash things down, we slept like babies! All in all, a very good start to the trip.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
very cool great photos thanks for sharing!
I just noticed dad needs some stickers...give that man a moose, cat or something
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
Cat on its way!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
7cells
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Looking forward for the Cat. Thanks.
And I wanted to add: I can't find words to express my gratitude to my son Denis, who's got me back riding bikes (after a more +/- 40 years); first on his little Honda Nighthawk, then his Sportster, and now to off-road riding.
He is also a great coach (OK I admit it I have a bias), but really he helped me a lot, this is essential when one begins doing this kind of riding (I mean on unpaved road, now that I think of it... I understand why there is no need for max speed limit signs on those roads, anyway it is a lot of fun! I can't wait to do again (working on adding a couple of things on the DRZ).
7cells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
very cool great photos thanks for sharing!
I just noticed dad needs some stickers...give that man a moose, cat or something
You're right, that bike does look a bit naked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Cat on its way!
Thanks Mike!

And now onto day 2!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Day 2

So we wake up at I don't know what time, and it really doesn't matter anyways! Ain't being on vacation great!

Make a little oatmeal for breakfast, and then the old pack up ritual begins. I think we ended up hitting the trail around 10'ish or so.

From LF campground we took a left up the hill and once at the top of the hill, another left. HB & FOX, the same way we took when we left the LF campout back in April. It was a beautiful morning, and the rest of the day looked just as promising.

Here we are just minutes after leaving the campground.

The Laurel Forks overlook (just a mile or two from the campground).

At this point in time, we are now following the TWVT (or Trans West Virginia Trail ). This is similar to the TAT in that it is a conglomeration of public roads and trails (mostly unpaved) that winds all over West Virginia with connections to the north and south. It is a work in progress being spearheaded by Igofar (along with some help from some friends I do believe). In any case, it was the focus for our 4 little days in West Virginia. Before I continue, I want to express my gratitude to Igofar for sharing these GPS tracks with me; we had a great time and look forward to riding more of the TWVT as time allows!

Now back to the story.

At this point the trail is supposed to go down Burner Mntn road. However, this is what we see at the turn off onto Burner Mntn road.

Hmmmmmm......... ..........well, having come across signs while riding the TAT that were not entirely truthful, I suggest to my dad that we try it anyways. After all, if it turns to true we can always just turn around!

Needless to say it turned out to be a great piece of trail!

Only at one point did it turn a little difficult with some deep rutting over trail. (see below)

Soon after this, we pulled into Bartow where we decide to top off on gas. It's a little before noon, and my dad has a hankering for a little snack and especially for a cup of coffee! (I'd forgotten to pack stuff to make coffee, but have no fear, we rectified this situation that same day!). My dad get's a cheeseburger and I get the special for the day, a turkey, bacon, swiss on grilled sourdough!

Then it's back on the trail, and more beautiful ridding. The vistas a nice, but not as spectacular as they could be, as there is a lot of haze in the air, and the far off mountains just don't show up in the pictures. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to come back through here some day!

Before setting out on this trip, I was concerned about how hot it was going to be; after all, I'm very familiar with what VA is like in July! However, the temps were great just about the entire trip! I think though that being at elevation, and ridding in the shade most of the time helped a LOT!

Example:

More riding pictures. Can you see dad!? (7cells)

The man in action!

Every now and then though, you got to stop and smell (and photograph) the roses!

Ok, Ok.....so they're not roses! You still get my drift though!

Back to the action shots!

Went by this sign, and decided to turn around to take a picture. After all, this would be our playground for the majority of our time in West Virginia.

Whenever we weren't on gravel, we were usually riding down these amazing, single lane black tops! What a blast!

At the above point is where we met Bill. He'd been following behind us for a few miles, and stopped to chat when I stopped to take the above pictures. He was ridding a Kawasaki Vulcan (750 I think), and lived in the area. He then proceeded to offer to show us a few cool local spots. Since we were not on any kind of rigid ride, we agreed; after all, you often see the coolest things when you follow the locals' advice (this would happen twice this trip).

First stop, the covered bridge over Locust Creek.

Next, Bill took us to an overlook, looking over a bend in the Greenbrier river. Now, you had to be from here to know where this was as there was no sign or nothing point it out. We basically just parked on the side of the road (in the ditch in my case, dirt bikes have their advantages!) at a spot that looked just like any other. Then Bill led us down this little deer path basically; I would definately not call it a trail. And at the end of it we were rewarded with a magnificent view of the Greenbrier river!

Bill, my dad, and me.

Our day finally ended at a campground in the Greenbrier state forest, just south of White Sulphur springs. Before going to the campground we fueled up the bikes in White Sulphur springs, and picked up some supplies (such as coffee ).

While setting up camp, we had appetizers!

The camp site for the night.

Dinner that night was Beef stroganof with noodles (and a piece of bread). After dinner, since we had not finished off the humus, and had no way of keeping it cool, I went to offer it to the two ladies at the camp site next to ours. They gladly accepted it, and offered us some cold Buds in return! Just goes to show that karma still works! All in all, another great day!

Stats for the day:

Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Day 3 update will be up tomorrow or the day after.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Very nice Denis. Glad to see you back on the DRZ. Pretty awesome you and your dad can share these good times.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote