Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
I was in the same boat as you. I went back and forth between these and the 690 R. Then it dawned on me like a lighting bolt! When KTM was building a off road v twin race bike they designed the ADV not the SE. The adventure has a much lower center of gravity (battery under engine, gas much lower, aux tank from neduro very low as well). I have a good friend that loves His SE but has a much harder time with it in sand or muddy conditions and believes its because of the higher center of gravity.

Don't get me wrong you will love either but why buy a SE and put a fairing, larger tank, reinforce the sub frame, strougle with putting larger luggage on it, and have a seat your wife hates, just to end up with a hybrid SE/ADV that ends up only weighing 10-15lbs less.

Solution: buy a used 950 ADV and a used 530 EXC for same price as a new 990 ADV ( thats what I did ). Or seriously look at a 690 enduro. Don't buy one of these without giving it a try. That bike with a few upgrades will do everything you want these to do and be more fun off road.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob599 screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 08:58 AM
Bob599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599
I was in the same boat as you. I went back and forth between these and the 690 R. Then it dawned on me like a lighting bolt! When KTM was building a off road v twin race bike they designed the ADV not the SE. The adventure has a much lower center of gravity (battery under engine, gas much lower, aux tank from neduro very low as well). I have a good friend that loves His SE but has a much harder time with it in sand or muddy conditions and believes its because of the higher center of gravity.
They learned from the adv and then they did the SE

I think the problem you describe is not a matter of CG but of seat height. The adv might have a battery at a lower place, but it has a fairing inc supporting structure high up. If you can flat foot the SE then the lighter weight will be the deciding factor.

mousitsas screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 10:16 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,604
I had access to the 990 Adventure, prior to purchasing my own "adventure bike". As it turned-out, I went with the Super Enduro.

Some of the things that played into my decision...

1. I ride in an area with soil that is known as "sandy loam". Dry, it behaves like sand. Wet, it acts like mud. The low fender was a concern.

2. I never buy at retail. 990 R's were hard to find. When I considered the law of "supply and demand", I knew that a standard 990 or 950 SE was going to be right for me.

3. Two words...Oil Change. I have the mechanical ability of a mushroom, and didn't want to take a class at Wyo-Tech, just to change the oil.

4. Because both bikes are 475+ pounds, crashing was a solid consideration for me. When I get offroad, I wad any bike that I'm on. Because it was designed more like a dirtbike, and not a rally bike, I felt that the SE would hold-up better during my get-offs.

5. I didn't know if it was bullsh!t or not, however, I heard SE owners talk about how surprisingly well you could "slab" on the SE...which was a major concern of mine. I couldn't afford to pay $10,000+ for a bike that I could only ride on the dirt. It had to be capable of 300+ mile days.

I wish you the best with your decision. I am sure that many in the OC have been at this crossroads before. I remember how torn I was...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
They learned from the adv and then they did the SE

You might be right!

Start an excel file with farkels you want to add. The sheet with the lowest farkel cost wins.

I have ridden both and I would say that on my ADV I can stay with alomost any sport bike. On the SE I can show them a wheel once and a while. With a supermoto set up I am around and gone! That bike rips.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard
I think it's fair to say neither of these bikes are single track woods weapons but they are both very capable when many other bikes would turn back.
You would be surprised at just how well the big girl does in the singletrack.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ

3. Two words...Oil Change. I have the mechanical ability of a mushroom, and didn't want to take a class at Wyo-Tech, just to change the oil.

That was also crucial in my decision making. The adv is surrounded by complex plastic but the SE is a normal bike in that aspect.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
So the SE is really that much better at off roading the the Adventure R? I plan on eventually doing some adventure biking.( multiple day, week or even month riding) Which would really require a tank upgrade on the SE. It would also require soft bags at least.(wolfman maybe) I mean should I just buy the bike thats a step closer and sacrifice my better off road ability or just do a little more farkling to the SE? I would ride off road as much as possible even when adventuring. You said its like putting saddlebags on a racehorse, does that mean long distance with this bike is a bad idea? I would like to hear from someone whose rode both the SE and the R off road to know how different the two really feel. Thanks
There’s not a huge difference between the SE and Adv off road, essentially if you strip um down they are the same bike apart from head angle and suspension. Sure others will argue.

But ride them and you can tell straight away, the SE feels different, closest I’ve ridden is my mates Adv 950S carbed, compared to the 990 FI which is not as smooth.

Yep you can hall on the SE no probs, I do with soft luggage but no passenger. The seat is too hard as standard to seriously clock the miles unless you have an iron rear. The Adv affords more comfort and protection, gearing as standard is more road orientated. Without wind protection on an SE its hard work doing 90mph all day. Personally I plod at 60 and happy to do so, but without the extra fuel (safari tank) you’ll be stopping every 100 miles or so.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
Another question is does the fuel economy differ between the R and the SE? What does the R get compared to the SE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
The carburated 950s give better economy than the injected 990s.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415360

In theory the FI should achieve better MPG.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
If you crash a bunch like me get the SE. I have owned 1 Adventure and 3 SE’s. When the riding is like this (see pic below) the SE feels like it’s about 140 lbs lighter than the Adventure. I think it all comes down to the type of riding you do and as a side note I have slabbed 800 mile days on the SE with the stock seat and survived! Add a seat from James Renazco and go touring with your Gold Wing buddies!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

2014 KTM 1190 "R"
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy
I have slabbed 800 mile days on the SE with the stock seat and survived!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415360

In theory the FI should achieve better MPG.
It makes absolute sense what you say, but all my 990 friends report higher consumption than me (even with my 16/45 gearing) and also I read somewhere that KTM themselves said that 950 are more economical. Unfortunately I don't remember where I read that.
On the other hand, injection forced to operate as clean as possible might not be as economical as carbs. For example my carbed thunderace bike was more frugal than my cbr954 used to be. Stock for stock.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #27
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
It makes absolute sense what you say, but all my 990 friends report higher consumption than me (even with my 16/45 gearing) and also I read somewhere that KTM themselves said that 950 are more economical. Unfortunately I don't remember where I read that.
On the other hand, injection forced to operate as clean as possible might not be as economical as carbs. For example my carbed thunderace bike was more frugal than my cbr954 used to be. Stock for stock.
In theory. The world record is/was held by a british vehicle, at a constant speed of 30km/h with a 4 stroke 35cc advanced FI engine achieved .................................................. 6603mpg.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 224
Well I do crash a lot. Man this is a tuff decision. I'm glad I have to wait a little while before I can buy. I'm not sure if I was at the dealer I'd know which to buy. Decisions, decisions.

Dracothius screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 02:49 PM
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #29
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
You need to ride them both if you can, I'm sure one of them will say "BUY ME" louder than the other!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

2014 KTM 1190 "R"
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy
You need to ride them both if you can, I'm sure one of them will say "BUY ME" louder than the other!
I'm afraid that may backfire on him...He'll probably want both! I know I do...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote