ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Terry Bugera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Garmin map for Costa Rica

I have a Garmin 176 and was looking at the base map of Costa Rica, it is very basic. I looked at Garmin's web site and they have a more detailed map, but you have to buy the "more" detailed World map just to get the map of CR. To much cost for to little info that I will use. Is there any other way you can get just a more detailed for Costa Rica for my GPS.
Terry Bugera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
If the Worldmap detail for Costa Rica is like the rest of Central America and South America that I have traveled, it is not very good. Very innaccurate and almost bad since you might actually trust what is on there. Seems the most accurate part of the Worldmap are the coastlines; perhaps since Garmin has long marine roots. I know there are likely several folks that would let you evaluate a copy and you could see for yourself.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Terry Bugera OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thanks for the heads up on the accuracy of the Garmin map. I'll go with the base map on my GPS and buy a paper map. Any suggestions on which maps of CR are the most reliable?
Terry Bugera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bugera
Is there any other way you can get just a more detailed for Costa Rica for my GPS.
find someone with the World Map to load Costa Rica into your memory card. You should note that the Garmin World Map data isn't that detailed.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
You might look through this site:

http://gpsinformation.net/#software

They've got a ton of GPS information.

Marc
Old 11-22-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
CarbonCat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bugera
I have a Garmin 176 and was looking at the base map of Costa Rica, it is very basic. I looked at Garmin's web site and they have a more detailed map, but you have to buy the "more" detailed World map just to get the map of CR. To much cost for to little info that I will use. Is there any other way you can get just a more detailed for Costa Rica for my GPS.
Just my 0.02 :
My be to try Touratech maps for Garmin? I have not experience with these maps, but heard good stuff about them. Maybe other members on forum would be able to comment.

Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spowers
find someone with the World Map to load Costa Rica into your memory card. You should note that the Garmin World Map data isn't that detailed.

And it takes *very* little space in memory. In fact, I can get all of Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica (and this also includes a lot ofColumbia and southern Mexico) in only 1.16MB!

Now that's a cheap memory card!

Hmmmmmm, mebbe it's so small due to that... what did he say.... oh yeah, lack of detail...
Old 11-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

As far as Touratech maps... *PLEASE* correct me if I'm wrong, 'cus I'd really like to be, but Garmin units will only take Garmin maps...
Old 11-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Maybe this company have something: Garmin Venezuela

They are third part developers and have detailed maps in this area.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
CarbonCat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
As far as Touratech maps... *PLEASE* correct me if I'm wrong, 'cus I'd really like to be, but Garmin units will only take Garmin maps...
OK, then what is that ?
I thoght it's a substitute for Garmin crap...

Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #11
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCat
OK, then what is that ?
I thoght it's a substitute for Garmin crap...
I read it as a PC based map that will allow you to load waypoints you get from the PC map to your GPS, but you will still see the Garmin map on the GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touratech
QV will not load maps into your GPS. Only Garmin's MapSource software will put maps into your GPS. But it can load maps into a PALM device which can be driven by any GPS. TT-QV allows you to create routes and waypoints using other scanned maps or CD-ROM maps. You can also show your recorded GPS tracklog on a map that you have scanned, such as a race course map.
So, when you are navigating on the bike, you will not see anything but the roads in the Garmin map and any waypoints you downloaded to the GPS. It will not increase the detail of the map you see.

I am not sure how other 3rd party software works, but my understanding, like Steve's, was that only Garmin maps could be loaded.

Gustavo

Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
CarbonCat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo
I read it as a PC based map that will allow you to load waypoints you get from the PC map to your GPS, but you will still see the Garmin map on the GPS.

So, when you are navigating on the bike, you will not see anything but the roads in the Garmin map and any waypoints you downloaded to the GPS. It will not increase the detail of the map you see.

I am not sure how other 3rd party software works, but my understanding, like Steve's, was that only Garmin maps could be loaded.

Gustavo
There are these four guys who went to Morroco. so somehow, one of them got a sobstitute maps for garmin. I will e-mail him and ask how to get them, and/or is it possible to create them. might be not a bad idea

Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCat
There are these four guys who went to Morroco. so somehow, one of them got a sobstitute maps for garmin. I will e-mail him and ask how to get them, and/or is it possible to create them. might be not a bad idea
The Garmin software (MapSource) and devices only recognize a few formats. I've heard that the GDB file format has been hacked and folks have been able to create and load their own maps. I don't know where or how. Perhaps one can find it with a search engine.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 11-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #14
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by spowers
The Garmin software (MapSource) and devices only recognize a few formats. I've heard that the GDB file format has been hacked and folks have been able to create and load their own maps. I don't know where or how. Perhaps one can find it with a search engine.
GDB and GDBv2 have been hacked but they are not map formats.

GPSmapper is a third party tool that can create Garmin format maps but it is very time intensive.
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

GpsPasSion

The GPS Passion forum might be a good resource. The Maps & POI section - http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...p?FORUM_ID=137

I looked in their database but didn't see Costa Rica. You'll get better results by asking. Folks there seem pretty knowledgeable.
'05 BMW R1200GS