Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > ADVrider annual rallies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #121
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,520
Hey delta21, I agree with your sentiments but, based on personal experience, I guess I'm a little lost on who's considered an ADV-er and what constitutes an ADV rally.

I'm an ADV inmate (thus, I am able to post here).
I organize (disorganize) an annual Adventure / Dual Sport Motorcycle event.
ADV inmates come to the event.
I've done it for five years now and 2015 will be the 6th year.
There's no registration fee.
I don't make any money on it (and usually lose money on it).
It's just a bunch of ADV inmates getting together and spending four days riding motorcycles in the desert.

Based on the criteria quoted at the start of the thread, it seems like the event I organize is an ADV rally. Yet, when I post my event in the ADV annual rally section, it gets moved to the regional forum. (Not arguing with the mods, they can move things as they see fit, just pointing out a fact.)

So, I can see where people would ask what, specifically, makes an event an ADV rally as opposed to a non-ADV event.

One might also ask what disqualifies an event from being an ADV rally?

Having it's own website?
Having sponsors?
Making money?
Registration fees?
Camping or lodging fees?
Organized by an individual versus a group?
Sells t-shirts?

That's my 2˘

In the end, would it be nice if my ADV event was recognized as an ADV event? Yes. But, the inmates who come and have fun and ride motorcycles in the desert are what's important.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #122
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Raven, I think this goes back to the mid 2000's when ADV was really picking up speed. It seemed that every week-end there was a new "ADV national rally" popping up, and every ADV rally was getting a little watererd down. So the mods picked a few of the larger ones around the country and made them the official ADV rallies.

There are lots of get togethers for ADV riders, but that does not mean that they should all be an "annual rally"

You are spot on with your interpretatation of what differentiates the Annual rallies form just another bike(trailer) week.

Good for the mods and Chris for sticking to their guns and keeping the Annual Rallies purely for and by ADVriders

On a side note, be careful what you wish for. I usually go away from every ADV ride thinking "Man this should be a National" then I think "Nah too much of a good thing is just too much" At my first Eastern (Ricks) Rendezvous there were about 20 riders, it's grown to over 200 now, and will be bigger this year. Westfest 2013 took 6 months to organize with I'm sure countless headaches. Thanks again to COXR650L and family for all the hard work.
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #123
vinzsalvador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hello Guys! I'm here in Monument, CO for vacation, just want to ask which one do you recommend me to assist as the best, important and biggest rally in the US?

Regards,
Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #124
mtnseeker1
dirty me

Oddometer: 39
I reccon all

You can't go wrong with any and all.
Great folks and great times no matter where.
Or so it seems thus far.
Anytime you meet someone that says lets ride you know you have the right crowd.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #125
heyoka rider
riding=my addiction

Oddometer: 249
questions for Rally

Hi,
I am part of the Steelhorse Summit. It is a huge rally for women in Colorado they come from all over the country. Is this the right place for a posting telling women ADVer about the Summit?

thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #126
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyoka rider View Post
Hi,
I am part of the Steelhorse Summit. It is a huge rally for women in Colorado they come from all over the country. Is this the right place for a posting telling women ADVer about the Summit?

thanks
I think that would be something for upcoming and/or in the Rocky regionals. Also we have a ADV gals fb group - just send me the info and I can post it there.