Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,726
Bloody brilliant bit of work. You should go into production.. I'd buy one

What's it like on the kick starting?

Has it got a charging system?

Are there many vibes....would you be prepared to run a full tank of fuel through it on a day ride?

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..

icekube1 screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 02:13 PM Reason: more questions
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielson
Currently at 55km per liter, so 1.8l/100km

Quote:
Comfortable range of 700km with the current 13.5 liter tank
So stick a Safari tank on it an you could go 1700k's before reserve
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
See these two pics? For me, they sum up quintessentially what motorcycling is. And should be. 35k dirt bikes and GSXRRRRzzzRRRR crotch rocket be stuffed.
Two blokes, in a shed, wearing bluey singlets, armed with arc welder built a bike. And behold it was good. Then he went riding. Mate, your good for a camp if you ever hit Brisvegas!!
Quote:
Thanks heaps all for the coms

Thanks woody, that's exactly what the plan was, one may say 'a bike for life' providing the motor keeps going.

Bike Pilot the motor is direct injection. Yep its got a mechanical pump.
I don't about getting more grunt as I've read its a fixed timing motor, its best run a constant 3000 or any other.
What I have seen is people whack on small turbos on these 10HP motors, I don't know bout reliability though.
Heat wise its got a big fan on the flywheel forcing air on the cylinder and head. So the motor gets cooled twice while riding. I don't think it'll overheat.

If you have ridden a 50s British single, its just like it.

Yeah Joe I wish I didn't post this, now all pre units will dry up

Costs all up around 4000 bike included

Yep the motors good for the price. I haven't ridden in heavy rain yet just light, no problems. Interesting though.
The airfilter is nicely covered.

FatBoy

Here's some stats

418cc 86X72
10HP @ 3600rpm
26Nm 1500-3500rpm

Bought from
Tool Power on Epay, a Melburn mob

Peet
Bantams are unit construction I think. I reckon B33, B31, M20 or 21 from the Beezas would be good candidates.
You'd want at least 4 speeds.

There are other options, getting a an sheap old japper with a 6 speed, 80s CB250 superdream or the like, cutting the gearbox out and making a separate casing for it.

And you have yourself a nice gearbox. Sounds like a lotta work. This has been done before.

Hey Mick

Yep great site that, lots of good bikes

A few more from todays ride

900kms clocked up so far, running well

I'll have a few vids soon
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Looks like it was always meant to be there doesn't it .

Dan,

Was it more difficult to do the conversion without using an adapter ring, the Taurus inner primary chaincase and the longer transmission mainshaft? I note you said careful measurement was needed to drill the holes in the inner primary. Was that the standard petrol inner primary? 350 or 500?

thanks,

Adrian

Adrian V screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 11:56 PM
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
i want one... what amazing fuel economy.
how much it cost all up to build?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #21
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,820
My guess is that it tops out at 80kph but that'd be ample really for laid back cruising along enjoying life.

Were there any issues getting it rego'd? Will it run on straight used, filtered chip oil?!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #22
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
top's

It looks great,and the motor suit's the bike just perfect!

I know you mentioned turbo, are you happy with the speed considering the vintage of the carcass.

Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Clarky mate thanks

I thought I'd get that question first

Currently at 55km per liter, so 1.8l/100km

That figure might improve after running in

Comfortable range of 700km with the current 13.5 liter tank
The bike looks "just right". I'd be guessing it would just chug along all day.
Great work!
Does the exhaust exit just under the seat?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,613

SWEET Dude!!!

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #25
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Now thats just cool! I've looked at the diesel bike site before but haven't seen a build on here yet.

I want one. 100+mpg would be sweet. Especially if a little turbo could be slapped on.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #26
A_Vasiliev
M-ass-ter Craftsman

Oddometer: 1,384
You guys are talking about cutting and fabbing gearboxes out of Japanese bikes, how about using a gearbox out of a bike a la Harley Davidson, where it's a separate unit? Not sure if any other bikes had that sort of setup, I understand a Harley setup might be a little costly for this particular style build...

Aside from that, really cool idea and good idea, those industrial engines might not be power monsters but they'll last forever with just regular maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
Not going to happen.
A_Vasiliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #27
danielson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Hey all and thanks heaps

Mcfear

Depending on gearing you could hit 100-110 and cruise at 70-80-90.

Icecube

Thanks heaps
Yeah I was thinking about production, I'm still testing though for reliability and longevity before anything like that though.

Pricing would be another thing, I'm thinking around $5500 all powdercoated frame like new etc. Sounds like a lot I know for the performance..

Some may love it, some people would say its a rip off for such a slow slug.

In my mind this is the perfect motorcycle

Its kick only and takes a few kicks when cold, but its good because by the time you get it running you've had your workout for the day

When the motors warm one or two does it.

There's an alternator fitted to the flywheel of the motor. Just have to hook it up to a rectifier and should be good to charge.

Currently though on constant loss electricity. Then charging. It'll probably kill the batt.

No more vibes than most large singles, about as much as my SR500 at idle. But since the motor has a balance shaft its very smooth in the upper RPMs whereas the SR isn't.

Would not hesitate running tanked up, and have done so twice, though there is a large time gap between fuel stops

Kiwipeet

"So stick a Safari tank on it an you could go 1700k's before reserve "

Yep that'd be the go maybe in the future but seeing as 600km or so between fuel stops is plenty enough I'll prob just leave the current tank on. Plus Diesel fuel is a bit heavier than ol' petrol.

FatBoy

Spot on that's just what my philosophy on motorcycling is.
Thanks for the offer. I should remember when I'm up your way.

Adrian thanks

I agree it fits really well

And you know about the alternative fitting methods.

I was thinking about going that way with all the Taurus bits but after hearing those longer transmission shafts break I thought I'll work with the original shaft and petrol primary.

I measured up the holes in line with the motor as square as possible. Same distance as petrol motor to gearbox. Just a steady eye is all it took

ADVJake

Just wait to see how this one performs. To build costs around $4000 including the bike.

Overlandr

See top of post for speed ranges.

It's rego'd with the frame number but I'll probably tell em that the motors been changed.
I reckon it could run on filtered SVO but I would try in the warmer months cos don't wanna block up injectors. Even though new injectors are $25 and pumps $100 from Perth.

Gimme 2

Is that an XT of some sort yes?

And the speed is fine. It's all relative

itsgunnahurt

Thanks mate. Yep and it does just that, whatever you set the throttle and it should keep going till you run out of Diesel

Exhaust is angled 30 below horizontal. Any guesses to where it came from?

zephyr

Enfields in the States are really cheap and super low miles (great for the gearbox) compared to here and so are the 10HP clone motors. Get a registered one with blown motor. Should be cheap 1000US or so. Diesel motor for around 400. Maybe I'm too optimistic though

From what I've read turbos on singles aren't the best, generally 3 cyl is the go. I think its to do with phase or something.

A_Vasiliev

Thanks
Yep your right about the HD boxes, some have 6 speeds which would be great for diesels.
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #28
billyt53
Phast Phossil

Oddometer: 593
QUOTE...."Exhaust is angled 30 below horizontal. Any guesses to where it came from?"

Looks like a handrail from a disabled toilet!! (Just a guess!)

You've done a great job there.

Cheers Billy

South America on Two Wheels
Another photography book by me
billyt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #29
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking about production, I'm still testing though for reliability and longevity before anything like that though.

If not the entire bike, then maybe a kit; bracketry, templates for drilling primary case, book of destructions etc..

Pricing would be another thing, I'm thinking around $5500 all powdercoated frame like new etc. Sounds like a lot I know for the performance..

Some may love it, some people would say its a rip off for such a slow slug.

In my mind this is the perfect motorcycle Seems like there's more than a few who'd agree...Postie bike lovers looking for something different perhaps. Wonder how it would go on a postie challenge ride, with a set of knobbies and a big tank .

Enfields in the States are really cheap and super low miles (great for the gearbox) compared to here and so are the 10HP clone motors. Get a registered one with blown motor. Should be cheap 1000US or so. Is that where your's came from? Bring a few in and sell with a kit? Diesel motor for around 400. Maybe I'm too optimistic though

Btw, the plates/brackets you made up look fairly chunky. Have you thought about drilling them a bit, to add some lightness?
Just

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #30
danielson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1
If not the entire bike, then maybe a kit; bracketry, templates for drilling primary case, book of destructions etc..
Icekube

Thanks mate you've given food for thought. I'll consider it just want to make this one bulletproof.

Rego in NSW though might be a problem, I think you may need an eng certificate, something like that.

Check what needs to be done rego wise when just changing an engine in an Enfield.

Quote:
Seems like there's more than a few who'd agree...Postie bike lovers looking for something different perhaps. Wonder how it would go on a postie challenge ride, with a set of knobbies and a big tank .
I agree postie enthusiasts may like it. I'm thinking of the same thing with the knobbies.

Postie challenges would be interesting.

The frame'll handle rough roads no probs, it was originally designed as a trials machine when released in the 50s.

In India they've been using them for 50 years+ on some serious terrain, Himalayas etc and continue to do so.
The 4spd gearbox is a sturdy unit.

Quote:
Is that where your's came from? Bring a few in and sell with a kit? .
Sorry I should be using quotations.
That was aimed at zephyr from the US. Just an idea for him.
I got mine here.

Quote:
Btw, the plates/brackets you made up look fairly chunky. Have you thought about drilling them a bit, to add some lightness?.

Yeah they do look like overkill But the reason being we needed strength from vibes and to hold the weight of the motor.

There's a 5kg engine weight increase from the 350 petrol to diesel. 37kg Vs 42kg.

What could have been done was to make the front mount less of an angle and closer to the motor. But now I could cook some fish in foil on a warmer day in that gap.

Looking at other machines I just noticed it acts as a nice bash guard too.

Also since the motor has a really heavy flywheel and bottom end there's a lot of weight down low, it might not make much of difference if they were drilled a bit.
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote