ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #31
overlandr
Temporal Shifter
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielson
Clarky mate thanks

I thought I'd get that question first

Currently at 55km per liter, so 1.8l/100km

That figure might improve after running in

Comfortable range of 700km with the current 13.5 liter tank
156.9339184164479 miles per gallon (Imperial) = Impressive!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #32
danielson OP
Adventurer
 
danielson's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Adelaide, Oz
Oddometer: 83
Wink A few riding clips on the Enfield D



around the hills


Quote:
Originally Posted by billyt53


Looks like a handrail from a disabled toilet!! (Just a guess!)

You've done a great job there.

Cheers Billy
handrail it is


Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
156.9339184164479 miles per gallon (Imperial) = Impressive!
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #33
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001
 
WILL_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: goodly satisfactory place, qld
Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1
Quote:
Seems like there's more than a few who'd agree...Postie bike lovers looking for something different perhaps. Wonder how it would go on a postie challenge ride, with a set of knobbies and a big tank

Reckon that diesel would fit in a postie.
Found a old beezer box in the shed.Got a truimph one laying round too.
Add those to this



= DIESEL POSTIE
__________________
out riding bored and stroked posties....braaaaaaaaaap
WILL_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #34
Turborob
Minimalist.
 
Turborob's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Aussie riding South America
Oddometer: 582
Well done. Top work.

Looks like a top - I'd have one in a heartbeat!

How many people have eBay searched for an Enfield now?
__________________
Latest ride report: Nongs ride the Americas

All RRs
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #35
Gimme 2
Team slo ass
 
Gimme 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: still looking
Oddometer: 1,888
After whatchin the vid , it seems like it has a ton of torque!

The Turbo is one that has been fitted to a wr 250 rx Water and oil cooled WTF!
__________________
Behind the buzzing blindfold of failure sits experience.
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #36
danielson OP
Adventurer
 
danielson's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Adelaide, Oz
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S
Reckon that diesel would fit in a postie.
Found a old beezer box in the shed.Got a truimph one laying round too.
Add those to this



= DIESEL POSTIE
Hey Will

That'd be a nice hybrid. And one of a kind.

Work with the gearbox mountings first then motor.

You could probably fab up a tough bracket welded to the top tube. The bracket could have one large threaded rod welded vertically.
Make another bracket with a hole size of threaded rod and bolt it on to cyl. head (provision for 2 threaded holes on cylinder head).

This probably makes no sense but eventually you'd have the frame holding the motor by one huge rod and nut.
Just an idea.

The tank would probably have to go though you'd have a huuuuge range.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborob
Well done. Top work.

Looks like a top - I'd have one in a heartbeat!

How many people have eBay searched for an Enfield now?

Thanks heaps Rob, yeah there's a few Enfields on the bay



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2
After whatchin the vid , it seems like it has a ton of torque!

The Turbo is one that has been fitted to a wr 250 rx Water and oil cooled WTF!

Gimme

Good torque for what it is, figures are 26Nm 1500-3500rpm.

Mid range is nice.
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #37
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001
 
WILL_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: goodly satisfactory place, qld
Oddometer: 2,063
Thanks for the info on a cradle.I can see how a motor would fit in.Some other changes would have to happen but i think it might just work.Maybe a clutch with no gearbox kind of like the V8 bikes.Should be enough torque to wind it out.
Just did a search of the ebay store you mentioned.The closest thing i can find to 10hp diesel is a fire fighting pump.Did you just buy the motor or did you have to buy a pump and pull it down.
Cheers Will
__________________
out riding bored and stroked posties....braaaaaaaaaap
WILL_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #38
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Tweed Valley , Northern NSW
Oddometer: 347
Sweet !

Well done !

I was considering doing the same to my Enfield but seeing I can't travel on a freeway now ,I need to go a littl faster , not slower .I just bought a BeeM instead .One Enfield for sale very soon ,which is a pity .She's a great bike and in perfect nic , but not fast enough for the damn traffic !

Here's the best how to link I found .You obviously don't need it but others might find it interesting .http://www.altmann.haan.de/riding_on_salad_oil/
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #39
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Tweed Valley , Northern NSW
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S
Thanks for the info on a cradle.I can see how a motor would fit in.Some other changes would have to happen but i think it might just work.Maybe a clutch with no gearbox kind of like the V8 bikes.Should be enough torque to wind it out.
Just did a search of the ebay store you mentioned.The closest thing i can find to 10hp diesel is a fire fighting pump.Did you just buy the motor or did you have to buy a pump and pull it down.
Cheers Will
Will ,this the kind of engine I was looking at .http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ENGINE-ELECTR...item45f3f0020c
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:11 AM   #40
Taf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Springfield Lakes Qld
Oddometer: 192
Eek stunning

that bike is bloody beautiful. put me down for one... i am definately looking to buy one once you guys get into the selling game
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #41
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Tweed Valley , Northern NSW
Oddometer: 347
Black smoke

One of the things that surprised and pleased me was seeing NO ,ZERO black smoke in the video as the bike pulled away from a stop .This was one of the things I was worrying about when thinkingof doing this myself .Those little diesels are set up to run at a constant speed powering industrial machinery , so I thought the variations in speed required on a bike might prove a problem .

I was wrong ! I love it when I'm wrong !
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #42
Kwakanine
BMW Boxer Anything
 
Kwakanine's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 22
Very Impressive

I saw an Enfield diesel in India and always thought there must be potential. This is great - really impressed. Be great to hear it running - video? Thanks for the thread.
__________________
Mark
Perth, Western Australia
Kwakanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #43
danielson OP
Adventurer
 
danielson's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Adelaide, Oz
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S
Thanks for the info on a cradle.I can see how a motor would fit in.Some other changes would have to happen but i think it might just work.Maybe a clutch with no gearbox kind of like the V8 bikes.Should be enough torque to wind it out.
Just did a search of the ebay store you mentioned.The closest thing i can find to 10hp diesel is a fire fighting pump.Did you just buy the motor or did you have to buy a pump and pull it down.
Cheers Will
No probs.

Sort of like a Boss Hoss, they got a 2spd auto I think? (thats like a Powerglide trans)

Yeah thats the one Sibbo made a link to. I bought one of them. You can do that; get a diesel pump and sell off the parts, keep the motor




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo
Well done !

I was considering doing the same to my Enfield but seeing I can't travel on a freeway now ,I need to go a littl faster , not slower .I just bought a BeeM instead .One Enfield for sale very soon ,which is a pity .She's a great bike and in perfect nic , but not fast enough for the damn traffic !

Here's the best how to link I found .You obviously don't need it but others might find it interesting .http://www.altmann.haan.de/riding_on_salad_oil/

Sibbo thanks

What kind of Enfield is it, lemme guess mid 90s 4 speed 500? If 4spd is the gbox right side shift?

Charles Altmanns page is good too. He used the extended mainshaft, footpeg rest and Taurus inner primary in his build.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cymrupaul
that bike is bloody beautiful. put me down for one... i am definately looking to buy one once you guys get into the selling game

Thanks Welsh Paul. I'll remember that If it hits 5000k no probs it should be fine for more




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo
One of the things that surprised and pleased me was seeing NO ,ZERO black smoke in the video as the bike pulled away from a stop .This was one of the things I was worrying about when thinkingof doing this myself .Those little diesels are set up to run at a constant speed powering industrial machinery , so I thought the variations in speed required on a bike might prove a problem .

I was wrong ! I love it when I'm wrong !


Sibbo yeah its pretty clean colour wise. Black smoke in a Diesel is overfueling which is very bad for the engine and can lead to seizures if continued.

I didn't change any fuel settings and it seems to be running great at all rpms



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakanine
I saw an Enfield diesel in India and always thought there must be potential. This is great - really impressed. Be great to hear it running - video? Thanks for the thread.


Kwakanine thanks mate no worries

Check at the top of page 3, the video should be there

danielson screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 06:40 AM
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #44
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Tweed Valley , Northern NSW
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielson






Sibbo thanks

What kind of Enfield is it, lemme guess mid 90s 4 speed 500? If 4spd is the gbox right side shift?

Charles Altmanns page is good too. He used the extended mainshaft, footpeg rest and Taurus inner primary in his build.


Sibbo yeah its pretty clean colour wise. Black smoke in a Diesel is overfueling which is very bad for the engine and can lead to seizures if continued.

I didn't change any fuel settings and it seems to be running great at all rpms
Yep ,the standard 4 speed 500 ,a beaut little bike .I thought about doing your thing for a while and even contacted a bloke in NSW who had done it , but he had fun registering it , engineers certificate etc . He was an engineer so that kind of made his job easier but it would be harder for me ! I could register in Qld though , I've got relatives up there that would cooperate !

The Altmann mods with the longer shaft looked a bit of trouble , very impressed that you were able to do it so simply .I guess you don't know until it's all off and you can line up the holes .

Was there any way to include the electric start ? I see the downtube is in the way and the sacred compliance plate !!! but could a nice big steel plate with the correct opening have been welded on there to accept the starter ?

Altmann or someone else raised a question about the charging capacity of the alternator windings on these clones .I think the original Yamaha was better , have you had any problems running your lights ? I guess an external alternator could be rigged ,but a bit of a job !!!!!

And again , a sweet , sweet job !! I'm all inspired again .

Sibbo screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 04:57 PM
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,067
Laugh hmm

wow
is all i can say wat an awesome little bike, love it, gr8 work,
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014