Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #46
danielson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo
Yep ,the standard 4 speed 500 ,a beaut little bike .I thought about doing your thing for a while and even contacted a bloke in NSW who had done it , but he had fun registering it , engineers certificate etc . He was an engineer so that kind of made his job easier but it would be harder for me ! I could register in Qld though , I've got relatives up there that would cooperate !

The Altmann mods with the longer shaft looked a bit of trouble , very impressed that you were able to do it so simply .I guess you don't know until it's all off and you can line up the holes .

Was there any way to include the electric start ? I see the downtube is in the way and the sacred compliance plate !!! but could a nice big steel plate with the correct opening have been welded on there to accept the starter ?

Altmann or someone else raised a question about the charging capacity of the alternator windings on these clones .I think the original Yamaha was better , have you had any problems running your lights ? I guess an external alternator could be rigged ,but a bit of a job !!!!!

And again , a sweet , sweet job !! I'm all inspired again .

Hey Sibbo

Thanks mate

Yeah I've heard about the holes you have to go through to get it rego'd in NSW. That sucks.

I was thinking how to make it work with e-start but like you said involves a frame chop and compliance plate movement. Though I reckon you could get away with it depends if the plate is closer to the down tube stud hole.

I have thought if the motor was lower might give enough room, but it looks like there is no chance without cutting the down tube.

I've still got to get charging stuff sorted. Running constant loss

On Altmanns site he says he made a four parts voltage regulator (using a rectifier, zenerdiode, resistor and a darlington transistor) in place of the supplied regulator with motor which was too weak. Here's a schematic

I'll probably give this a go. I'll see. It'll be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycam01_au
wow
is all i can say wat an awesome little bike, love it, gr8 work,

Thanks Ray mate

It is a great machine
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #47
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Electrics

I'd love to hear how you go with the charging system , I'll stay subscribed .

Good luck mate !
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #48
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 709
it may be a lot less mucking around to use a motorbike reg from a wrecker. see which ones there's lots of. ( hopefully means they don't play up. ) the wiring of them is easy too. i can assist via the internerds if you require.

i used rgv250 rec/regs on a couple of bikes. worked well and were 30-ish bucks from memory.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #49
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielson

On Altmanns site he says he made a four parts voltage regulator (using a rectifier, zenerdiode, resistor and a darlington transistor) in place of the supplied regulator with motor which was too weak. Here's a schematic

I'll probably give this a go. I'll see. It'll be interesting.

WTF somebody knows whats going on, series regulator...
heaps better than 20 year old technolgy, motor cycle shunt regulator!!!
SCR are just sooooo yesterday.

good on you and ya brother .....

cheers matty

edit; try wacking in a couple of filter caps to smooth out voltage spikes.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #50
danielson OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest
it may be a lot less mucking around to use a motorbike reg from a wrecker. see which ones there's lots of. ( hopefully means they don't play up. ) the wiring of them is easy too. i can assist via the internerds if you require.

i used rgv250 rec/regs on a couple of bikes. worked well and were 30-ish bucks from memory.
wiggy cheers for that i'll see to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog

cheers matty

DD thanks mate,
thats the smart Altmann chap who made that schematic

hmm now there's a few ways to do this

Update; not much riding but got 1000km on it now. Running well.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #51
PBee

Oddometer: 8,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielson
wiggy cheers for that i'll see to it

DD thanks mate,
thats the smart Altmann chap who made that schematic

hmm now there's a few ways to do this

Update; not much riding but got 1000km on it now. Running well.

Go to the Guru, Steve Warnes

http://www.bettabikes.com/

He's down at Hackam.

Anything related to bike electrics.

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #52
dzl
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 76
Cool bike....well done. Have always had an interest in diesel powered machinery and have always wanted to screw a diesel bike together. Hell...even my dog is called diesel! You've got me thinking about it again now as I have a '51 BSA B33 sitting down in the shed!

Regards the electrics, do they give a rating for the generator? It wont matter what sort of regulator you have if the generator isnt capable. A lot of those clones only have the capacity to charge the battery from what I had heard. The genuine yanmar engines have a 15A option if going to power auxillary equipment.

Would any of these regulators help? http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm

Although this would blow the budget a bit more and defeat the whole purpose of the project.....have you seen this engine made by kohler http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...Number=KD425-2

Relatively new design 18.8 HP 850cc twin and is the same weight and outer dimensions as the yanmar 10HP and its clones! Would be enough power to take the bike out of the novelty category and turn it into a genuine cruiser. What you think?
dzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #53
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
You sly dog!!!
Holy crap your a suprise package!! What next next??? Wanna help design a self energising ignition for my airhead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog

cheers matty

Old 07-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #54
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Ooooohhh... nice link!

I'm tipping this one. Bit lighter and simpler. Wonder how it'd go on SVO 'though???

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...ctNumber=KD420

The diesel bike boffins use like a centrifugal/cvr style go kart clutch thing. Fairly easy to source. I'm stuffed if I can find it now!! Anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl
Cool bike....well done. Have always had an interest in diesel powered machinery and have always wanted to screw a diesel bike together. Hell...even my dog is called diesel! You've got me thinking about it again now as I have a '51 BSA B33 sitting down in the shed!

Regards the electrics, do they give a rating for the generator? It wont matter what sort of regulator you have if the generator isnt capable. A lot of those clones only have the capacity to charge the battery from what I had heard. The genuine yanmar engines have a 15A option if going to power auxillary equipment.

Would any of these regulators help? http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyelectrex.htm

Although this would blow the budget a bit more and defeat the whole purpose of the project.....have you seen this engine made by kohler http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec...Number=KD425-2

Relatively new design 18.8 HP 850cc twin and is the same weight and outer dimensions as the yanmar 10HP and its clones! Would be enough power to take the bike out of the novelty category and turn it into a genuine cruiser. What you think?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #55
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Thanks for all the info! I really like what you've done. I do suspect there's more power to be had if you can increase the upper limit of the fuel pump volume. Most mechanical diesel pumps have a screw somewhere that allows adjusting fuel flow (even if you can't adjust timing). It basically allows the "throttle" to open further. Get too carried away and you'll melt pistons and make a ton of black smoke, but usually there's a whole lot of room between oem settings and piston melting settings. You could fit a mechanical pyrometer if you really want to get fancy. I'm not sure what a max temp would be for that engine. For an old ford diesel truck engine its best to stay below 1200 deg F.

btw my experience comes from fiddling with old diesel trucks, I don't know anything specific about your motor. Principle should be the same though.

Turbos do work great on diesels, you'd still need to find a way to get more fuel into the motor to really take advantage of it. You might even pick up a tiny bit more efficiency too.

for production concerns and a gearbox, you might consider a salsbury (sp?) clutch like a snowmobile uses. I had an 8hp (stock rated power anyway) 360cc go-cart/buggy that used one. Worked great. Its basically two conical pullies with a big heavy belt and the cones slide in and out with rpm and load such that the gear ratio constantly changes - basically like a CVT. It could be a really cheap, simple way of getting power to the rear wheel. Don't know what the maximum gear range would be or how efficient they are.

I know my go-cart would top out at about 45mph (I think it was limited by gearing and max rpm governor), but it'd snap off the line really hard (overall gearing was quite low). Engine rpm (stock form at least) was governed to 3600.
it used something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2170_200322170
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_35770_35770

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 04:28 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #56
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oh!! Nice!!

I did a bit of looking and the dieselbike boys were asking if Comet had gone tits up......

http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/v...hp?f=23&t=1115

Hope not!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #57
danielson OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee
Go to the Guru, Steve Warnes

http://www.bettabikes.com/

He's down at Hackam.

Anything related to bike electrics.
Thanks PBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl

Thanks dzl. That B33 could be a good candidate. That's the OHV 500cc? If its got matching eng, frame numbers then I would keep it together

There's no rating for the genny, but I've asked the sellers to see if they know.

I've had a look at those regs on the Brit bike site, they have been recommended on the Dieselbike forum somewhere.

Those Kohler motors would be great, they are the same as a Ruggerini MD191, bore stroke all the same. Price is another concern new they are $4000 or so, but obviously second hand would be the go from a pump or something.

Someones inserted one in an Enfield too. Called the Ruggerfield

Builder Colin Clarke

Build photo

Looks like the down tube has to be cut.

Owner Stuart says it can hit 70-75mph and gets 90mpg Imp. 31.71 km/liter. 3.1 per 100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Thanks for all the info! I really like what you've done. I do suspect there's more power to be had if you can increase the upper limit of the fuel pump volume. Most mechanical diesel pumps have a screw somewhere that allows adjusting fuel flow (even if you can't adjust timing). It basically allows the "throttle" to open further. Get too carried away and you'll melt pistons and make a ton of black smoke, but usually there's a whole lot of room between oem settings and piston melting settings. You could fit a mechanical pyrometer if you really want to get fancy. I'm not sure what a max temp would be for that engine. For an old ford diesel truck engine its best to stay below 1200 deg F.

btw my experience comes from fiddling with old diesel trucks, I don't know anything specific about your motor. Principle should be the same though.

Turbos do work great on diesels, you'd still need to find a way to get more fuel into the motor to really take advantage of it. You might even pick up a tiny bit more efficiency too.

for production concerns and a gearbox, you might consider a salsbury (sp?) clutch like a snowmobile uses. I had an 8hp (stock rated power anyway) 360cc go-cart/buggy that used one. Worked great. Its basically two conical pullies with a big heavy belt and the cones slide in and out with rpm and load such that the gear ratio constantly changes - basically like a CVT. It could be a really cheap, simple way of getting power to the rear wheel. Don't know what the maximum gear range would be or how efficient they are.

I know my go-cart would top out at about 45mph (I think it was limited by gearing and max rpm governor), but it'd snap off the line really hard (overall gearing was quite low). Engine rpm (stock form at least) was governed to 3600.
it used something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2170_200322170
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_35770_35770

Bikepilot thanks.

I've read some have tried to adjust the volume of fuel, but they ended up saying the factory settings were correct as there was too much black smoke.

Turbos have been installed on these single cyl Diesels with varying results, some say not worth it, best to have more cylinders like 3.

Sounds great that gokart you had

I did think about CVTs but then I can't live with out a clutch lever so had to stay with the stock gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Oh!! Nice!!

I did a bit of looking and the dieselbike boys were asking if Comet had gone tits up......

http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/v...hp?f=23&t=1115

Hope not!!!
FatBoy
I think comet is still in business. Their site is working
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #58
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Are there any small Common rail engines in the size range of 10-20hp?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #59
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Supercherger kit.

Check this out.

It's made for 200cc to 1200cc engine.

http://www.ideaconnection.com/invent...-the-disp.html

I bet it's worth an arm and a leg.

Does anyone remember the car engine that GM converted to diesel?
They used the spark plug holes for the injector.
I wonder if it would be practical for a motorcycle?
Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #60
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,948
Has anybody else noticed that those Comet belt variators look a lot like a really basic scooter set-up?

Is it only me who's just realised the Kohler420 is within 10% of the Vespa 250GTS engine output?

Just saying is all.........