Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #91
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,924
Saw some mention of the Comet torque converter in this thread so am wondering if this torque converter at
http://gokartsusa.com/Baja-Heat-Mini...Converter.aspx
would open up at lot more donor bike opportunities?
The largest model will accept a 1" shaft on the drive part and has a 40/41 sproket on the driven part.
Opinions?
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #92
danielson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Hey Barnone

That would be good for UJM machines with unit construction. Take the motor out and put the 10hp diesel and torque converter. Has been done before.
I'll find the links.
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #93
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Very cool!
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #94
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Bump

Hi Danielson , how's it going ? Any joy with the charging setup ?

I had a bright idea for another donor bike ...an R65 BMW ,there are quite a few around in non working condition ...I think they have a separate gearbox and a fairly automotive clutch .It might be made to work .The diesel would fit in across the frame too and that should leave room for an electric start .
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #95
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 844
Hi Danielson ,
I've been following this thread, and thought I might throw in a suggestion. Have you heard/read about the bio-diesel bike built by The University Of Adelaide? As you live there I thought this may be of some interest to go and have a look at/talk tech stuff with the dept that made the thing.

I know it's a pain in the arse when you've built something, everybody wants to put in their 2-bob's worth. I was more coming from a technical point, to see if you have looked down this path. If so, what mods does the engine require to run bio-diesel compared with regular diesel?

Sibbo, interesting idea. I wonder how the radial torque would affect the handling? The fly-wheel is a bit on the large side!
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #96
danielson OP
Adventurer

Hey Sibbo
Thanks for the bump
It's goin good, has bit over 4100km on it and no problems.

We're making another RE Diesel. Here it is. The engine mounts are already done. This time with 6mm steel for the rear GB mount as opposed to 5mm.

With regards to the charging, the flywheel was taken off the new motor to get at the stator.

This weighs 10 kg

The Chinese use 19 ga - 0.91mm. With two rounds of wire per post.

Currently I'm rewinding it with 17 ga wire - 1.14mm. This will give more amps.

I'll be going with two rounds per post too.
Its nearly done. My first rewind. Hope it works as expected.

I thought about the R65 with the chinese v-twin. With any shaftie I've read the final drive gearing would need to be changed.

Also wonder if the frame may need to be altered. Electric start would fit no problem and it'd be easy to adjust the fuel governor.

I guess I'd need to get one and find out. In the meantime I really like the Enfields.

Here's something though with a multi cyl Yanmar

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...3/m/9301053591

Here's a page of BMWs converted to Diesel power. The R25 with a 296cc Hatz motor takes the cake for me down the page.

http://www.dieselbike.net/bmw/bmw.htm

hey dirt bloke, thanks yeah I've heard of them. They use the same motor but a genuine Yanmar 406cc.

They even had the Yanmar bosses come down from Japan and have a look at what they're using a genny motor for.

I might pop in as I haven't been down there to the mech. eng. dept just seen it on the net. What gets me is they say it uses 3.5l /100km.

Most guys with same setup as me get 1.5-1.8l. Must be the CVT sapping the power. Also heard motors run on bio tend to use a bit more.

People have been using bio without much drama. I don't have access to any nor making it but in the weather now it'd be no problem to run it as long as its made correctly.

What I do though is pour a bit of fresh canola, veg, ATF oil to mix with dino diesel to give more lubricity as these days its ULSD (Low Sulfer)

We had SAFF (SA Farmers Fuel) who sold bio but BigOil Mobil bought them out and decided to not sell bio as it needs to undergo further testing.

But with the mileage that I'm getting with regular D then running costs you could say are negligible. Here's a rough calculation. A long trip say 20,000km would cost around $450-500AUD in fuel.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #97
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the BMW links , the green one is very pretty ! The V twin is a great job but imagine dropping it and having to stand it up !!! Gawd it looks heavy ! An excellent build story though , really useful .
Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #98
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

-Mouse's BMW .

I've been reading Mouse's story Danielson ...the man is a legend ! An amazing and innovative build ...he sure had some problems and it looks as if a lot of them come from too high an engine speed ( the valve train not liking the excess speed .)

It's made me thing that the simplest way to get a bit of extra speed from the combination would be to increase the speed prior to the transmission ,say using a timing belt of some type .Either from a car or if the budget stretched to it ,
http://www.forbo-siegling.com/pages/...gbelts_en.html ,expensive but quite amazing in efficiency !

It would be possible to up the output speed by 25% or so and have a much more useful ride .....and the diesel would spend most of it's time at comfortable speeds .

BTW ,I love your Enfield , if you remember I had one but I just sold it for $3900 ,I'm afraid the Visa card required it's sacrifice ! If I can find a cheap non goer I'd be VERY tempted to have a go and spend the time getting it through NSW rego .

The reason for my interest in BMW's is (apart from the fact that they very well built )I can buy an R65 very cheaply ...this one for instance for about $1000 .All there and running ...jeeez I hate alloy wheels !!!! That aside it would be a great start in a project like this .

Good luck with that rewinding , it looks like the logical way of solving the problem ....well done ! Tell us how it goes .

BTW ...you may see me one day ...I'd love to try your Enfield in the flesh so to speak ( if you were game !).I run two diesels ,a 1980 240 D Merc and a Hilux .Biodiesel production is close and I'm seriously interested in a bike that uses bio !

Sibbo screwed with this post 11-27-2010 at 10:05 PM
Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #99
danielson OP
Adventurer

Hey Sibbo

No worries yeah Mouse's build is interesting. its a heavy motor.

Some people use CVTs with the diesels as you say it spends more time in the optimum rev range.

Also check out Heiko's site. This guy has built a few diesel bikes. From Germany. I'd love to have the Molotov M72

That R65 looks like the LS. Pretty cheap at a grand. I like those saddle bags. Are you gonna get it? It'd be interesting to see how the the v twin motor would fit.

If we do cross paths then by all means you can take the diesel for a ride.

What kind of mileage does the 240D get? I've liked those W123 series

danielson screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 05:14 PM
danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #100
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Danielson , the 240D gets a consistent 8l/100km no matter what speed I drive it at ,80 or 110 .She's a sweet old girl with only 390,000 km on her !The perfect vehicle for biodiesel .

Is that twin cylinder diesel available in Oz ? It would fit in an R65 without too much drama I'd say but the top speed would be very low .I think some kind of intermediate step up gearing would be necessary .I've got a tiny transfer case from an LJ50 4 x 4 Suzuki that is about 1.3 to 1 .I'll have to have a look inside ,if it's straight cut gears it might run in reverse as a step up and that would give the right revs to ratios and a reasonable top speed ,probably 120k or so .

The trip would be getting it through NSW rego !! Buggers aren't helpful

Did you ever come up with a price for an Enfield conversion ? Our rego blokes are much more likely to let a conversion through if it has rego in another state .
Old 12-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #101
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
Gudday guys!

I gotta stop reading this forum.... Dead broke and I just wanna go build!

Is this the V twin you guys are talking about?

http://www.hydrapneu.com.au/punsun_engines/

The bloke being in Brisbane, I gave them a call about 6 months ago. Now let me give you the edited version of his response..

"Oh, the Punsun old man? Rather a poor show I'm afraid. Jolly chink gave me a right rotter! Even our chap Jeeves couldn't get to the bottom of it. Thing wouldn't run you see. Think I rather lost my shirt on that one, what?"

Insert a lot of words starting with f and c, mention of a 17k loss and "don't laugh mate, it's not funny" And I think you may get the picture. It WAS refreshing that he was so honest about it..

Danielson... where DO you get the different grades of copper wire from? Is it pre-lacquered??
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #102
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Crash ,look up ''motor rewinders'' in the yellow pages .

and about the motor ,BUGGER !!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #103
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,573

Amazing!
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #104
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash View Post
Gudday guys!

I gotta stop reading this forum.... Dead broke and I just wanna go build!

Is this the V twin you guys are talking about?

http://www.hydrapneu.com.au/punsun_engines/

The bloke being in Brisbane, I gave them a call about 6 months ago. Now let me give you the edited version of his response..

"Oh, the Punsun old man? Rather a poor show I'm afraid. Jolly chink gave me a right rotter! Even our chap Jeeves couldn't get to the bottom of it. Thing wouldn't run you see. Think I rather lost my shirt on that one, what?"

Insert a lot of words starting with f and c, mention of a 17k loss and "don't laugh mate, it's not funny" And I think you may get the picture. It WAS refreshing that he was so honest about it..

Danielson... where DO you get the different grades of copper wire from? Is it pre-lacquered??

aawww common ya "girl" waz wind'in coils for x-overs in the eighties (loudspeakers.........der) check out Jaycar...............

ow ya go'in mate ?

cheers matty and da bitch...
Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #105
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
aawww common ya "girl" waz wind'in coils for x-overs in the eighties (loudspeakers.........der) check out Jaycar...............

ow ya go'in mate ?

cheers matty and da bitch...

Hey Matty!! You planning on doing the corner this Easter? I'm dragging Mick out I hope.